Yay or Nay to onboard art?

shaun07

How do you feel about the onboard art?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the onboard art?

• YAY! the art is great
    • NAY! the art is poor
    • wish they would offer more art
    • wish they would do away with that art

Spouse Yes

Me No

I've had enuf. Sometimes I will join for the Free print at the end, but thats about it.

Seriously, there are 8 large prints on our Dining room table as we speak, cuz I refuse to leave them Rolled in their Tubes of death.

Next cruise, we agreed, NO MORE ART.:cool:

We don't buy any. But I do admire some of it. Some of the artwork is pretty.

I think it's just one of those things that has become mandatory on a cruise.

Like you know you are on a cruise because...there's a guess the price of the Picasso contest....you get invitations to go to the art auction and they give you extra tickets to win a poster.....Come drink free champagne and learn all about ______ fill in the blank.

It's on all the lines LOL

They're prints...glorified posters. If you LOVE something...get it..but don't consider it an "investment"...because it's not....it's hardly "art"...its a decoration.

We have a nice one on our wall and also a number of the small ones (The invitation advertising and A4 give-aways) in small frames too, very pleasant but not ART!!

Sometimes I will join for the Free print at the end, but thats about it.

We get them that way too and in the advertising to the stateroom or in the "Guess the ..."

BUT caveat emptor!! We won one of the raffle prize draws at an auction. We had to go to the office in the evening; more really hard sell!! Till I told them we wanted to choose our prize. We were given a choice of 6 PRINTS. We chose one and expected to pick it up so we could put it in out case.

HA BLOODY HA!!!

"We don't have room to carry them on the ship, we have to arrange it when we get back to Miami." "We are staying there for three days so we will be able to pick it up?" "Oh no, it will have to be sent to your home address" "We live in New Zealand." "Then it will cost you USD75 (I think)."

USD75 to get a free raffle prize.

Mike

Head scratching on the prints comment. How many people buy original artwork these days unless its from a starving artist or you pay mucho dinero for an original from a well known painter or sculptor? Prints aren't posters if they only print a couple hundred. It just depends. Many prints are worth a lot.

We bought one on our last cruise. DH is happy with it. I have slight buyers remorse but I tend to do that with any purchase over $100 that doesn't fit squarely in a need category... especially if its not yet in my possession.

It was a piece we really liked. Price for the piece wasn't bad and the framing and shipping quite good for something of its size given what it costs around my area at least (where there are like 2 places to frame something) for anything you can't stick in a store bought frame.

However we didn't buy it for a name, did not buy it with the idea that it will someday be worth more (if it is cool but I doubt it) but just with the idea of having a pretty scene on our wall.

I've bought some in the past and enjoy the fact that it's there, as art auctions are not otherwise part of my life.

There are certainly some hideous pieces, and I don't buy those. Also plenty way out of my price range. I've seen other cruise ships offer a better variety (although Norwegian beats them hands down on everything else).

A kinda "full of it" guy wrote a series of books on his life..and love life...while working cruise ships. His third in the series, he works as the ship's art director. It's fun... and interesting...and probably mostly true. Search Brian David Bruns on Amazon.

They're prints...glorified posters. If you LOVE something...get it..but don't consider it an "investment"...because it's not....it's hardly "art"...its a decoration.

Hmmm.... I guess I'll have to scrape all of the original oil paint off mine, then.

I bought them because I liked both style of painting and the particular paintings themselves. I have 4 Astahov originals, and a few other prints.

My mom enjoys getting the prints. She doesn't think they are worth some kind of resale, but if she likes image, it fits in the space she is putting it, i think she views as a souvenir from the trip. Plus, she doesn't do anything more than play around $20 playing penny slots and she doesn't drink, so at the end of the day, I think I still spend more on board than she does :)

I hear them advertising "original pieces " all the time. Is that just pure bs or are they selling something their child made so they can get away with it?

Some of them are original pieces but that doesn't mean they are unique. The same artist can paint the same image 10 times and sell them all as original images as long as he actually started with a blank canvas each time (and they will all be slightly different so sometimes they will even call them unique even though there is a series with the same name and that unless you really looked at them side by side will look the same)

I agree with this. My husband loves to go to the auctions and I could care less. We do have a couple of prints, but it's stuff we really loved and wanted. And, we certainly weren't considering it an investment. Just something nice for the house.

Some of them are original pieces but that doesn't mean they are unique. The same artist can paint the same image 10 times and sell them all as original images as long as he actually started with a blank canvas each time (and they will all be slightly different so sometimes they will even call them unique even though there is a series with the same name and that unless you really looked at them side by side will look the same)

Exactly...like Monet's Water Lilies, or Van Gogh's sunflowers.... an artist can repaint the same work over & again.

I can barely tell the difference between Peter Max works.... Statue of Liberty (check), red, white & blue (check), primary colours (check).

A kinda "full of it" guy wrote a series of books on his life..and love life...while working cruise ships. His third in the series, he works as the ship's art director. It's fun... and interesting...and probably mostly true. Search Brian David Bruns on Amazon.

Cool thanks, didn't know he had follow-ups. I read the first one. It looks like it's actually the 2nd in the series that is the art one. Bought the kindle edition for $2.99 for our next cruise.