what I saw on evening chic night

Redtravel

I will say that the last Carnival cruise I was on, as horrible as it was, people were dressed up for the formal night. No jeans, etc., from what I saw. Every other night, however, it was a "free for all". Including one guy wearing bib overalls and John Deere cap... :rolleyes:

I just love all the Carnival references! :p My last Carnival (granted it was 3 years ago), everyone dressed up for formal night....not formal mind you, but dressy!

My last Princess cruise, there was indeed a man in bib overalls and a plaid or henley shirt and workboots EVERY night in the MDR!

Will be dining in Blu in a couple of months and Luminae later. It will be interesting to see how people are dressed under the new rules in those venues.

Luminae is always smart casual, so the change from formal to Evening Chic has no effect on the rules.

Personally, I believe the Bare Necessities Constellation charter this month put the definitive conclusion to the what to wear on "chic" night discussion. :D

Were you on the ship with us?

If you were, you would have known that the majority of people were more "Chicly" dressed than on a "textile" cruise on the Elegant Chic nights. You see, clothing was required in the MDR and the specialty restaurants, and, while you may think anyone on a Bare Necessities cruise is a cretin and doesn't know how to dress appropriately, you would be mistaken.

A greater percentage of people in the dining venues were more appropriately attired for the "Elegant Chic" nights than I have seen on 'textile' cruises that had formal nights. This, despite the "Dress Code" for these venues being simply "put on some clothes."

Please don't make assumption based on your uninformed opinions

Why sweat the small stuff?

We have absolutely no control over what others wear on the cruise-formal nights and regular nights. So we don't let it impact our enjoyment.

Strictly MYOB with us.

I totally agree. The same as I never get upset when the trumpet player in the symphony I paid decent money to hear plays a totally different tune than the rest of the orchestra. After all it is his trumpet and he paid for it so what right do I have to complain.

I totally agree. The same as I never get upset when the trumpet player in the symphony I paid decent money to hear plays a totally different tune than the rest of the orchestra. After all it is his trumpet and he paid for it so what right do I have to complain.

You've been to one of our concerts then :o?

Why sweat the small stuff?

We have absolutely no control over what others wear on the cruise-formal nights and regular nights. So we don't let it impact our enjoyment.

Strictly MYOB with us.

Ditto! I just don't care...they are ones who stick out like a sore thumb! :rolleyes:

And did that include flip flops, shorts, tee shirts, jeans, and baseball caps? Where do you draw the line? Or is there no line at all?

No, it did not include any of the above on any of the cruises that I mentioned. Those cruise lines all subscribe to the "country club casual" rules and no one would have dinner at a country club wearing any of the items listed above. Perhaps, Celebrity should have subscribed to the "country club casual" rules instead of the "evening chic". I do think they chose to call it "evening chic" to allow folks to be comfortable wearing their formal attire. I will be wearing "country club" casual on this sailing. I feel the experience will be similar to attending a performance at the Kennedy Center where people attending the opera in very formal attire mingle with theatre goers who are more casually dressed to attend a play.

A lot of cruisers are older or handicapped and have the right to dress in whatever is comfortable for them. If they can afford the cruise that is all that matters. Some of the nicest people I met on our Eclipse cruise did not wear fancy clothes. They were real people who were not out to impress, but to enjoy themselves. When I was younger I loved to dress up for formal nights. Now, as a senior, I like to look nice, but be comfortable.

A lot of cruisers are older or handicapped and have the right to dress in whatever is comfortable for them. If they can afford the cruise that is all that matters. Some of the nicest people I met on our Eclipse cruise did not wear fancy clothes. They were real people who were not out to impress, but to enjoy themselves. When I was younger I loved to dress up for formal nights. Now, as a senior, I like to look nice, but be comfortable.

Good point. Comfort is essential!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Worst analogy ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it did not include any of the above on any of the cruises that I mentioned. Those cruise lines all subscribe to the "country club casual" rules and no one would have dinner at a country club wearing any of the items listed above. Perhaps, Celebrity should have subscribed to the "country club casual" rules instead of the "evening chic". I do think they chose to call it "evening chic" to allow folks to be comfortable wearing their formal attire. I will be wearing "country club" casual on this sailing.

Okay, you have set some minimum standard as to what you think is acceptable for dinner, and I don't disagree. How do you answer those people on this thread who say that anything should go as long as they are "comfortable" in their clothes. Should there be a minimum standard on the lines you have cruised on or should they allow anything and everyone should MYOB? Should pax be turned away in the MDR if they wear baseball caps, flip flops, and NHRA (National Hot Rod Assoc.) tee shirts? Should the lines you have cruised on allow the same thing as what is happening on Celebrity?

As I've said many times before, you can't legislate good taste. Celebrity has decided that it is just a free for all now and that isn't going to change.

Fortunately most people have good common sense and the ones that don't will just stand out. It's their own problem and it really isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Line me up for the firing squad. I'm less concerned about attire than behavior. But to describe your Benedict as a pair of boobies or denigrate another race at meal time is more offensive to me. For these reasons I d on' share tables. I don't care what you wear outside. Inside counts.

Line me up for the firing squad. I'm less concerned about attire than behavior. But to describe your Benedict as a pair of boobies or denigrate another race at meal time is more offensive to me. For these reasons I d on' share tables. I don't care what you wear outside. Inside counts.

I agree!

I'm in favor of a less formal requirement. But i will still dress nice and presentable...probably wear the little black dress. But honestly I couldn't care less what others wear. They will stick out like sore thumbs in bib overalls or whatever, but obviously they don't care.

How folks comport themselves is much more important to me than how they are dressed. JMHO! :D

I agree!

I'm in favor of a less formal requirement. But i will still dress nice and presentable...probably wear the little black dress. But honestly I couldn't care less what others wear. They will stick out like sore thumbs in bib overalls or whatever, but obviously they don't care.

How folks comport themselves is much more important to me than how they are dressed. JMHO! :D

Maybe I am not looking hard enough but I haven't seen anyone with bib overalls on any of my rccl, carnival, or celebrity cruises in the dining room or anywhere else. I did see some crew wearing white overalls as they painted the ship though! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL! That's what I thought too! Us older folks (probably our parents or grandparents) invented 'chic'. The younger ones are now redefining it. :)

The worst I have ever seen was in line for the dining room on NCL. A 30-something in Daisy Duke shorts in front of us. The line was quite long every night so we did the buffet or on shore so I cannot confirm whether that attire made it past inspection. Fill in your own joke.......

Well if the gal was impressive, and someone from the ship crew rejected her Daisy Duke shorts and made her change, I'd consider it the patriotic and solemn duty of every American to find that crew member, admonish him, and complain about him on the comment cards at the end of the cruise. Do it for humanity, do it for your country, do it for all that is good and holy.

If we get rid of Daisy Duke shorts, then the terrorists win.

:)

I know that this argument will go on forever between the open-minded and the closed-minded.

Bib overalls and Daisy Duke shorts are a bit too much even for me, but if the staff asmits them to the dining room it's OK with me. ��

I guess it depends on your perspective when you determine what is open or closed minded. It could actually go either way...

Those who are for a more laid back approach see those who are against casual clothes (shorts, jeans, even bib overalls :) ) as being closed minded - and see themselves as open minded.

While those who are for having some specific guidelines that are followed believe those who are against this are being closed-minded - and they themselves are open-minded since they support this viewpoint.

Not taking either side here - just can see that each side believes they are correct. For me, this issue is really not all that important in the scheme of things. I plan to dress to please myself (and my DH :D )

As I've said many times before, you can't legislate good taste. Celebrity has decided that it is just a free for all now and that isn't going to change.

Fortunately most people have good common sense and the ones that don't will just stand out. It's their own problem and it really isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think you need worry. I just got off the Equinox and "most" folks were dressed in what used to be called semi-formal. Evening chic nights were lots of dark suits, sport jackets and ties and about 10% tuxes and white dinner jackets. Ladies looked elegant in their maxi dresses and cocktail dresses, silks and bling, even if their companions choose Tommy Bahama shirts! Even most of the casual guys looked presentable, only a few t-shirts and jeans. It was only the few in the "slob" category who stuck out, not those in the tuxes :)