what I saw on evening chic night

Redtravel

What is wrong in liking to be surrounded by well dressed people?

Nothing, however it's wise to remember, it has no bearing as to the type of person they really are - after all, it's a piece of fabric! Many have been deceived by the 'well-dressed' fraudster ;). Or as my Mom likes to say, 'Fur coat and no knickers - I know her type' :D. Funnily enough, it's the third time today I've quoted my Mom's old saying (it's possibly a British idiom) ;).

You must also remember that the definition of 'well dressed' can mean totally different things to totally different people, just saying.

Edited by villauk

some are missing the point that those who do want to wear a Tux couldn't care less whether they stick out like a sore thumb or not...

My sister is joining us on the Silhouette in for the November TA. She was so excited to wear the dress she wore to her daughter's recent wedding on formal night. I told her, "So why not wear it? We're going to be wearing tuxedos." We love getting dressed up. Good for us. Others don't. Good for them. As Alexander our last CD liked to say, "Relax. You're on vacation."

• 1 month later...
Well, spring for the extra $25 for that extra piece of luggage -- factor it in to the cost for cruising.

Luggage is just a poor excuse, in my opinion.

Make that $25 each way, so really $50 extra per trip. Multiply that by the number in your party (which for us is often 3) - $150 is not chump change IMHO. That said, we have always been able to find a way to dress formally when it was required and still meet the luggage weight restrictions without needing to pay for extra baggage. We always took one decent sized carry-on where we piled in all the heavy items like men's shoes and it was no problem at all. But then again, I am not one of those women who thinks she needs a different pair of shoes, different purse, multiple swimsuits, etc.., etc.. - for that matter I have no issue wearing an evening outfit twice. Makes life a lot easier - I learned that lesson after years of cruising.:)

An observation from my 2/21 Eclipse cruise is no one pays any attention to what others are wearing on evening chic nights, which is the way it should be. If anyone is bothered by what others wear, there is something wrong with them.

An observation from my 2/21 Eclipse cruise is no one pays any attention to what others are wearing on evening chic nights, which is the way it should be. If anyone is bothered by what others wear, there is something wrong with them.

I believe the thought is that "Rules are Rules"

J.

It seems that the only people who are concerned about what others might be wearing are those who don't like to dress up. Relax, you won, you can do as you please so there's no reason to be concerned that someone may still actually want to be chic. No need to make any excuses at all.

Nothing. Complaining when you're not however, is tiresome at best.

As is listening to all the people who complain that the booked a cruise with a line tha has a dress code tha THEY don't wan to comply with.

It runs both ways you know.

I suspect it won't be long till we have complaints of its my holiday I'm not going to dress "chic".

Even worse are the ones who want to abolish formal (such as it is) but then say, no shorts, no flip flops, no wife beaters, totally hypocritical.

It seems that the only people who are concerned about what others might be wearing are those who don't like to dress up. Relax, you won, you can do as you please so there's no reason to be concerned that someone may still actually want to be chic. No need to make any excuses at all.

People...why can't we all get along? I have been sailing for many years on cruise lines that do not have formal nights. My Regent, Windstar and Azamara cruises were delightful. People dressed as they would for dinner at a nice restaurant or their country club. The passengers were well behaved. The cruise atmosphere was quite civilized. My first cruise without formal nights was on Windstar. One highlight of the cruise was having dinner on deck off the coast of Santorini wearing a sun dress with sandals and dancing the night away under the stars. I will admit, it felt strange at first to be cruising without tuxes and gowns. However, once you go casual, it is hard to go back to formal on vacation. Celebrity is accommodating their cliental who wish to dress for dinner as well as those who wish to be more casual. Please dress as you please and enjoy your cruise.

Even worse are the ones who want to abolish formal (such as it is) but then say, no shorts, no flip flops, no wife beaters, totally hypocritical.

I don't understand how this could be construed as hypocritical. One can quite reasonably advocate for a more casual level of dress without desiring extremes.

We are part of the "well dressed for dinner" crowd. You won't see us wearing flip flops (no matter how sparkly), jeans (no matter whose name is on the back pocket), or baseball caps (no matter if it says, 'I heart NY' in rhinestones). Evening chic is fine if it doesn't lead to a further degradation of the dress code. Celebrity needs to start turning people away from the dining venues when not appropriately dressed according to their own rules. Yes I know the rules include "jeans" which is unfortunate.

Will be dining in Blu in a couple of months and Luminae later. It will be interesting to see how people are dressed under the new rules in those venues.

My Regent, Windstar and Azamara cruises were delightful. People dressed as they would for dinner at a nice restaurant or their country club.

And did that include flip flops, shorts, tee shirts, jeans, and baseball caps? Where do you draw the line? Or is there no line at all?

Yet this thread was resurrected after several weeks of dormancy by posts from the "we like to dress up" faction. :rolleyes:

i don't buy spa treatments.

I can afford spa treatments.

I don't want spa treatments.

Cruise critic logic is "you can't afford spa treatments"

rest of world logic is "guess you didn't want spa treatments"

like!