what I saw on evening chic night

Redtravel

Formal is dead and buried, more like smart casual for the entire cruise will supersede Chic night

We'll see how it affects the bottom line for the line. We won't know for another year or so though.

For now, formal is pushing up lilies.

And this surprises you HOW? Give it a few month's and you will think your on a Carnival Cruise.

J.

It won't be the dress code that will make you think you're on a Carnival Cruise. It will be the free booze package that almost everyone will have.

Well, spring for the extra $25 for that extra piece of luggage -- factor it in to the cost for cruising.

Luggage is just a poor excuse, in my opinion.

Right! That's what I was thinking. We did a 29 day cruise with 4 formal nights and yes, we paid for the extra piece of luggage.

We have a 21 day TA coming up...again 4 formal nights and then coming back on the QM2 with 3 formal nights. It's pretty much expected that you dress up on QM2...it's not really optional...and they prefer that you stay "dressed up" all evening.

If in your 30s, CHIC probably isn't a part of your generation's vocabulary...in my "day" the word was HIP which categorized smart rocker, arty bohemian, stylishly unusual but classy, etc. Now you might say 'with it' ? I personally like the idea of dressing up vogue - less long ball gown and more cocktail with a flair. I might be way off but that's my idea of modern luxury or evening chic.

My 30s kids know what Chic is....I asked when I saw that post and both said "stylish".

I don't ususally notice what other passengers are wearing, unless it's something outrageous and intended to draw attention. After reading many dress code arguments on CC, I made a mental note to pay attention to what others wore for 'chic' night. I wore silky, black ankle pants and a black sparkly top. All (yes ALL) of the women at adjacent tables were dressed in black sparkly outfits, some pants, some cocktail dresses. About half the men wore either suits or sports jackets. The other half wore long sleeved dress shirts, slacks, no ties. There were a few passengers who looked very smart in tuxedos and gowns.

Toward the center of the MDR (select), there was a 10 or 12 top table of casually dressed passengers - jeans, capris, polos, t-shirts. One man wore a duck bill camouflage cap, which I thought was odd, but to each his own.

My beef tournedos tasted the same whether I was viewing the dressy or casual passengers, so I went back to chatting and flirting with my husband. Overall, we had a great time on that cruise.

AND - I didn't see anyone in shorts in the MDR on any night of the cruise.

You must live in a vacuum and never shop any place other than Walmart. If you are female live in Florida you can to to any Dillard's, Macy's or even JC Penny and easily see what modern chic is. It is not formal, but it is fabulous dress, much nicer and useable than a gown for a High School prom. Men also, but the dress might appear more casual, even with a MODERN dress jacket.

Formal dress will always be with us, for young or old and maybe for a special occasion on board a ship. My lady and I are retired professionals and NEVER attended a "FORMAL" event.

There is no way a Formal dress MDR will ever return, maybe a specialty section or dining venue. You could never expect 3000 people, men, women, and children to go out and buy/rent "FORMAL" dress JUST FOR A CRUISE. If they really tried, the MDR might be virtually empty.

They had a couple of good chart hits in the 70s - 'Le Freak' was one :D.

LOL!! When I asked my 30 something kids if they knew what "chic" meant...my oldest (34 y/o) said it meant "elegant" but she said she didn't get the "Le Freak" reference!! :D

Edited by suzyed

With the exception of the 2 bartenders in the Atrium bar, the service the was hideous. The food in the MDR was mediocre at best. Formal night service was the worst for our table. My meal was literally inedible. They actually put brown gravy on my prime rib. When we got our main meal, all the other tables were finishing up their desserts. The MDR service was easily the worst I've ever had in any restaurant.

If that had been my first cruise, Carnival or not, I would never cruise again.

Awww! So sorry! I see you have cruised Carnival before, but would this make you not want to cruise them again? Wonder what the deal was?? We sailed on Carnival many times, (we live in Fl and drive to several ports rather easily) the last time was about 4 years ago out of Jax and it was very nice. Sorry to hear yours wasn't good.

At our club they call it "country club casual". It is not a difficult concept to understand; nice pair of slacks, usually a collared shirt, leather shoes, etc. I don't understand why so many on this board continue to criticize Carnival cruisers and those who prefer to go casual; does it make them feel more important. Just enjoy yourself on your cruise and let others do the same

I thought "Country Club Casual" was Non-Formal nights.

Blame the airlines more than the cruise line. We like to dress up some nights but when you can only bring one suitcase and it has to weigh less than 50 pounds or 23 kilos you don't always have room for extra shoes and a suit etc, especially on a 12 night cruise with a few days abroad before and after. Our last two trips we cleared the weight limits by about 2 oz....it was a struggle.

Almost everyday on these boards I read "if you can't afford to xxxxx you can't afford to cruise" (usually about tipping or buying booze) maybe if you can't afford to take an extra bag you can't afford to cruise.

Something must be wrong with me. Just returned from cruise and could not tell you what anyone was wearing.

Great minds think alike - I was about to type exactly the same on the flip flop thread :). In all our cruises, I could not tell you what anyone had on their feet. I have more interesting topics to discuss over the dinner table - like which dessert to have :D. I don't know whether to say it amazes me or saddens me that people go on wonderful vacations to exotic locations and all they find to worry about is someone else's footwear :eek:.

Great minds think alike - I was about to type exactly the same on the flip flop thread :). In all our cruises, I could not tell you what anyone had on their feet. I have more interesting topics to discuss over the dinner table - like which dessert to have :D. I don't know whether to say it amazes me or saddens me that people go on wonderful vacations to exotic locations and all they find to worry about is someone else's footwear :eek:.

The OP asked for opinions on her footwear without giving any background as to why she wanted to wear said flip flops. I, along with other CC members responded. Not passing judgment or worrying about what someone was wearing, just responding with opinions

The OP asked for opinions on her footwear without giving any background as to why she wanted to wear said flip flops. I, along with other CC members responded. Not passing judgment or worrying about what someone was wearing, just responding with opinions

You may not be, but having read a selection of those other posts, some were definitely passing judgement and commenting on what other people wear in the MDR. She didn't ask if they went with her dress, even though she received many negative comments along those lines, only if she would be allowed in the MDR wearing them ;). We obviously have many fashion designers posting here on CC :).

The Flip Flop poster did clarify that she had a foot/ankle issues, and hence the flip flops. Granted she should probably have included that in her original post, but she did include it, post #24, after thanking folks for their responses....13 pages and 251 responses later, I'm sure she has both her answer, and an interesting view of Celebrity cruisers. I know I've been enlightened.

We were looking forward to checking out the changes in Celebrity over the last few years (been 5 Years since we sailed Celebrity), these types of threads confirm that less has changed than we thought. We will follow the dress guidelines, which will include jeans some nights , as allowed by the dress code guidelines...if that affects someone's ability to enjoy their meal, so be it...

The worst I have ever seen was in line for the dining room on NCL. A 30-something in Daisy Duke shorts in front of us. The line was quite long every night so we did the buffet

WORST? OMG that's the one thing that would make me not regret standing in a long line. And if I for some unimaginable reason didn't notice it first, my spousal unit would have drawn my attention to it.

At our club they call it "country club casual". It is not a difficult concept to understand; nice pair of slacks, usually a collared shirt, leather shoes, etc. I don't understand why so many on this board continue to criticize Carnival cruisers and those who prefer to go casual; does it make them feel more important. Just enjoy yourself on your cruise and let others do the same

Exactly!! Last time I looked, the money from all different passengers. regardless of their dress, is still just as green! It isn't just criticism of Carnival cruisers, either. So many judgmental passengers without any valid reasoning behind it.