Shorts/tees

lenquixote66

I'd be ok with taking that risk. BUT, I'm not pregnant - I'm too old to have any chance of that. I'm in good health, and not too worried about the virus in general. And I would wear mosquito repellant. Your circumstances may be different!

Even when you wear long sleeves and pants, there's still enough space for these little pricks to bite you.

No matter what my mom does to cover herself, they always find a way to get her. So loading up on DEET instead of covering yourself up, has my preference.

How about both?

I'd be ok with taking that risk. BUT, I'm not pregnant - I'm too old to have any chance of that. I'm in good health, and not too worried about the virus in general. And I would wear mosquito repellant. Your circumstances may be different!

Agree completely. There is no way you will find me in long sleeves and long pants in the Caribbean.

There is still a lot of unknowns about this.

Yesterday I read that there is a belief that the birth defects may not be caused by the mosquito but rather by the chemical sprays used to kill the mosquitos. Apparently all of the birth issues are located in the one country that routinely sprays this insecticide and none in the countries where it has not been used.

So who really knows? I suspect there will be much more data to come. I also suspect that the folks at Monsanto are more than a little worried about this latest report.

Edited by iancal

Even when you wear long sleeves and pants, there's still enough space for these little pricks to bite you.

No matter what my mom does to cover herself, they always find a way to get her. So loading up on DEET instead of covering yourself up, has my preference.

I have been bitten frequently by mosquitos under my clothes. I somehow even got bit on my boob once, under a shirt AND bra. Explain that! :eek: My best guess is they are going through the clothes. I am always the only one in my party that gets bitten. I read that some people just give off an "aura" that is more attractive to mosquitos and unfortunately I am pretty allergic to them too. They swell up to bigger than a silver dollar.

whataboutport, looks like you have the same problem as my mom.

She has allergic reactions to a lot of bites, so she's kind of an expert on how to protect yourself.

We can be in the same room, and she'll be full of bites while I might not have a single one. It's strange.

Here in Belgium we say: you must have sweet blood :)

whataboutport, looks like you have the same problem as my mom.

She has allergic reactions to a lot of bites, so she's kind of an expert on how to protect yourself.

We can be in the same room, and she'll be full of bites while I might not have a single one. It's strange.

Here in Belgium we say: you must have sweet blood :)

My late DH was a mosquito magnet. We could be sitting side by side for hours at the beach or wherever and he'd get a ton of bites when I might get one. I always felt so bad when that happened to him.

How about both?

Of course the more of your skin is covered, the less you are likely to be bitten; but since it is easy to be bitten even when fully clothed, DEET is the essential piece.

Because mosquitos are clearly attracted more to some people than others, there must be some attractant --- I am inclined to think that perspiration may be a factor, so keeping fully clothed in the Caribbean (in my case at least) might attract more mosquitos than the clothing might resist.

My mom never sweats either. I think it has something to do with the natural scent of your skin and/or tiny particles of evaporated sweat that comes through your pores.

I once saw a docu that was studying why some people get more biten than others and while it hasn't been fully backed up by science, they could not determine a certain factor that would cause one to be biten more or less.

They also tried the most suggested fables, but all were debunked. (alcohol, sweating, eating sweet food, etc.)

So their conclussion was it was something smelling from inside a person with a unique smell that had to attract the mosquitos, since these little buggers have an extremely developed smelling sense.