Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

RJB

I guess the big question is are the passenger using the gel stations ???

You know how it goes some do, some don't, what annoys me is when I stop to use it and some people take that opportunity to go around you in the line.

I think the soon to be Sirena is due to be handed over any day now.

This thread seems to have gotten off track. :rolleyes:

The Riviera seems to be all clean now, or at least we haven't heard otherwise in a few days. :)

Checked my Visa statement today and do not see a refund for our 25%. It's been 10 days, but I suppose Oceania meant business days. I seemed to have misplace our letter. :rolleyes:

We received our credit yesterday on our AMEX card. I am sure this is a time consuming process as they go through each cabin and figure out what is due. Hopefully you find the credit on your Visa soon.

You know how it goes some do, some don't, what annoys me is when I stop to use it and some people take that opportunity to go around you in the line.

so, what to do and not look bad?

Not even close. 25% in an insult to all of us who had to go thru at least 5 days of washing, cleaning and kept on the ship for at least 2 hours extra in St. Maarten. Sure only lost 2 days, but the last 2 days on the ship were a speed run back to Miami with a lot of things on the ship closed or being washed down. 50% would have been more like the number that was fair. The reason for our early return was Norovirus and Oceania as the owner of the ship is responsible for everything that goes on during the cruise. Lets stop to blame some some mystery person from outer space and have Oceania own up to what happens on their ships and finally do the right thing.

A simple question: Where is it written in the contract you have with Oceania that they are "responsible for everything that goes on during the cruise"?

Lastly, once again, 50% is what is being given to loyal, customers that will sail on Oceania again (25% now and 25% on your next cruise). If you decide not to sail on Oceania again, that is your choice.

I understand that some (not all) passengers blame Oceania. I do wonder whom you blame when you get sick at home!?

Not even close. 25% in an insult to all of us who had to go thru at least 5 days of washing, cleaning and kept on the ship for at least 2 hours extra in St. Maarten. Sure only lost 2 days, but the last 2 days on the ship were a speed run back to Miami with a lot of things on the ship closed or being washed down. 50% would have been more like the number that was fair. .

I don't know about you, but we had the washing down and cleaning from day 1, so 8 days. ;)

I think that our stateroom and immediate deck area got extra doses because the room attendent on the previous cruise might have had the virus. We know for sure that the next door neighbors had it.

What we are more upset over was the fact that our stateroom was not yet cleaned when we were told all decks and staterooms were open. This around 4:45. In addition, used food in the fridge and a broken bed and sofa. A balcony that was unusable for one day while the cleaning equipment, for cleaning multiple balconies, was camped out on our veranda. And then the area was left wet and dirty for the evening and next day. Combine that with the overall service, and we did not get the experience that exceeded our expectations! Certainly wasn't A world apart or our way. And we did not Sail in Style. :(

We received our credit yesterday on our AMEX card. I am sure this is a time consuming process as they go through each cabin and figure out what is due. Hopefully you find the credit on your Visa soon.

Got it this afternoon! Exactly what we were expecting in a refund, but not what we would have liked. :( If we could just get that future cruise credit to 40% or 50%, and be extended to 2018, we would be happy and give Oceania another try.

Edited by Iamthesea

Sad isn't it :eek:

You may be right

she was in the Panama canal on 28th & at sea today heading to Miami

The real question is, are the gel stations really killing the noro? The CDC does not seem to think so. Or is the gel something different from what they have tested and said it does nothing to kill the noro? A lot of questions, but no answers.

As posted a few times on the first "noro" thread, the government has a list of wipes and liquids that they recommend for use in hospitals to kill Norovirus. It is also available to individuals and several of us have already purchased it online. While it will not help those already onboard the ships, I would be surprised if people that have read this board do not have the wipes with them when they get on the ship (any ship - not specifically Oceania).

I don't know about you, but we had the washing down and cleaning from day 1, so 8 days. ;)

Got it this afternoon! Exactly what we were expecting in a refund, but not what we would have liked. :( If we could just get that future cruise credit to 40% or 50%, and be extended to 2018, we would be happy and give Oceania another try.

We agree on this too. I think it would be far too soon and to current a memory for us to use the credit before expiration.

Edited by CruiserPK

A simple question: Where is it written in the contract you have with Oceania that they are "responsible for everything that goes on during the cruise"?

Lastly, once again, 50% is what is being given to loyal, customers that will sail on Oceania again (25% now and 25% on your next cruise). If you decide not to sail on Oceania again, that is your choice.

I understand that some (not all) passengers blame Oceania. I do wonder whom you blame when you get sick at home!?

If not them then who? They take our money. They own and operate their ships. They say what goes on from beginning to end. That is why they are responsible. If there is someone else out there hiding in the shadows please let us know and we will go after them.

This is a quote from another thread about how Crystal Cruises handled a Noro outbreak.

The way Crystal handled the situation was night and day compared to all I have read and heard regarding the outbreaks on the Riviera. The communications on Crystal were frequent, the protocols went into effect quickly and I felt Crystal did all the right things. While crew and staff did extra sanitizing and cleaning, there were outside crews brought in at every port to take over the cleaning of the ship. We were fortunate that it was only a 7 day cruise and several of the ports were in the US. In addition, anyone that visited the doctor was not charged and the folks that were quarantined were credit their per diem amounts. I never saw anyone fumigating or fogging areas, wiping down surfaces with goop and the service did not suffer despite the fact that a high percentage of crew members were quarantined from time to time. I felt that the Senior Management/Officers on the Symphony knew what to do and how to handle the situation. The next sailing was delayed by several hours but the virus was gone.

I realize Oceania is not a luxury line however the above is how I would expect Oceania to handle the situation. From reading the response it is clear that they put customer satisfaction above the bottom line while I believe Oceania has put the bottom line first.

Well said from both you and the quote from a Crystal cruiser. :)

I do not blame Oceania for the sickness, or having to divert from ports (It is in the contract that they have the right to change the itinerary if necessary.) but I do blame Oceania for the way the entire situation was handled. :(

This is a quote from another thread about how Crystal Cruises handled a Noro outbreak.

The way Crystal handled the situation was night and day compared to all I have read and heard regarding the outbreaks on the Riviera. The communications on Crystal were frequent, the protocols went into effect quickly and I felt Crystal did all the right things. While crew and staff did extra sanitizing and cleaning, there were outside crews brought in at every port to take over the cleaning of the ship. We were fortunate that it was only a 7 day cruise and several of the ports were in the US. In addition, anyone that visited the doctor was not charged and the folks that were quarantined were credit their per diem amounts. I never saw anyone fumigating or fogging areas, wiping down surfaces with goop and the service did not suffer despite the fact that a high percentage of crew members were quarantined from time to time. I felt that the Senior Management/Officers on the Symphony knew what to do and how to handle the situation. The next sailing was delayed by several hours but the virus was gone.

I realize Oceania is not a luxury line however the above is how I would expect Oceania to handle the situation. From reading the response it is clear that they put customer satisfaction above the bottom line while I believe Oceania has put the bottom line first.

This is what I wrote on another thread...glad you shared it here!!!

IMHO, it doesn't matter what category of cruise line Oceania is, they handled the situation poorly and I concur with what you wrote.

Nancy

I am really surprised that O does not take similar preventative measures as they do on NCL. For our recent Getaway cruise where Noro was not present or reported .

Mandatory spraying of hands upon boarding. There were two people with spay bottles forcing all boarders to sanitize their hands

Guards at the buffet doing same.

Throughout the ship numerous place where you could disinfect, even in non food areas like the entrance to lounges and entertainment venues.

It worked...

Edited by PaulMCO

It's not just "customer satisfaction".

It's "customer HEALTH" (and this illness can become very serious in some, especially due to dehydration, which can be rapid).

"Customer satisfaction" would be if they saved money on the costs of entertainment, linens, or even on their signature food.

Health is something altogether different!

If not them then who? They take our money. They own and operate their ships. They say what goes on from beginning to end. That is why they are responsible. If there is someone else out there hiding in the shadows please let us know and we will go after them.

First I want to say that I agree that the situation was not handled well and I do feel badly for the people on the ship. In terms of "blame", must we always place blame on someone? Has everything you have paid for in your life turned out the way you wanted it? I suppose you can blame some passengers that help spread the virus by touching surfaces on the ship that were later touched by other people who touched their faces and made them sick, etc.

From what I have read, the crew on the ship did everything within their power to control the virus - working endlessly to clean every possible surface on the ship (and they did this without extra compensation unless cruise lines are now paying overtime - something not done in the past). The crew missed not only sleep but the ability to go ashore to call their families. I guess you could respond by saying that they did not pay for the cruise and you did.

The bottom line - and the subject of this thread is compensation. Everyone receives the 25% refund. If you take the 25% and put it into the next cruise that is discounted 25%, that will be a healthy savings. Someone said that it is too soon to book another cruise. For some people it may be but there is a saying about getting back on the horse that threw you. IMO, returning to Oceania and having a great cruise is the best thing you can do.

P.S. For anyone that is interested, Regent's Mariner is now "Code Green". The back-up generator was flown out to them from Miami and the ship is probably leaving the port they were "stuck" in and are on their way to Rio. So far, no one is asking for compensation.

I agree

I think they should force people to wash their hands after using the W/C

they should have a crew member standing at the door & not let people out until they do wash :rolleyes:

If they do not comply then toss them overboard

Seriously I cannot believe that grown adults cannot figure this out on their own :eek:

I completely agree but the reality is that there are quite a few people who dont take cleanliness seriously...or they are very old and forgetful. Celebrity has crew members there making sure everyone gets a squirt and I do think it is a good idea.

The bottom line - and the subject of this thread is compensation. Everyone receives the 25% refund. If you take the 25% and put it into the next cruise that is discounted 25%, that will be a healthy savings. Someone said that it is too soon to book another cruise. For some people it may be but there is a saying about getting back on the horse that threw you. IMO, returning to Oceania and having a great cruise is the best thing you can do.

While I agree with most of what you have said in your post, including the "blame" post, previously, I do not agree about the compensation. The 25% refund that we received is not compensation, it represents the two days that our cruise was cut short - the ports we did not get to.

The compensation is the 25% that we will receive off a future cruise, if we so choose. Yet, the one year time stamp makes the certificate nearly useless for many passengers because of time restraints, other travel obligations, etc.. Seems to me that there was another restriction for that certificate. As I have lost my letter, someone please pipe up!

In theory, we missed 4 days of our cruise because the last 2 days while onboard were awful! The ship racing back so fast that there were passengers seasick. Passengers having trouble walking because of the bumpiness. Too windy for many to be up on deck - upper decks closed off. No golf, shuffle board, running/walking track, etc. to keep us busy.

Service almost non-existent. Having to wait for tables to be cleared, cleaned and then the wait for them to be dried. Then another wait for the table to be set. Getting a crew members attention to bring tableware, drinks, condiments, etc. All this at a piece-meal. By this time, the crew for the most part were haggard and testy.

Then there were the staterooms. Besides the dripping walls and surfaces (same for our balconies), there were items taken away the day before we were to disembark, like bathrobes and decorative pillows. We were left with a sliver of soap, 1/4 roll of toilet paper and a few sheets of tissue. Luggage having to be outside our staterooms by 2:00 on the day of disembarkation (when we may still need things for the remainder of the day) and then the cruise ends at 8:00 pm. So really not a full day on that Saturday. :(

Again, I am not blaming the crew because I know they tried really hard. It was that or lose their jobs as more than one crew member let us know. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Since you were not on the 2/12 cruise it is very hard to understand how you can decide what is or is not fair compensation. You were lucky it was not your vacation that was ruined so I would respectfully request that you not judge those of us who think the compensation is inadequate. As was already pointed out, we actually missed 4 and not just two days of a voyage of a 10 day trip. Being on the ship sailing back to Miami was an exercise in patience and there was very little to enjoy those two days as the captain sped as fast as possible. It was clear that they wanted us off the ship ASAP so the ship could be turned around for the next guests. Thank goodness all signs of the Norovirus seem to be gone and the following cruise has gone well. I would not wish our experience on anyone.

CruiserPK: I have been on a ship with gastroenteritis - even the Captain and General Manager caught it. It was the worst of our 24 cruises (on Oceania's sister cruise line). No compensation/credit/or anything else. It was so bad that my DH missed Christmas completely (as did many others).

Iamthesea: It sounds as if the situation on the Riviera was made worse by the management and even the crew. It also sounds like the illness on the other Oceania/Regent ships are being handled better. I'm not sure if Oceania management has taken this into consideration.

While not wanting to add more "stuff" to this thread, I think it is important to remind Oceania and Regent management that there appears to be a lack of training in many areas recently. If two crew members on our last cruise did not know where the restrooms were, how are they expected to act properly during a Norovirus outbreak? Did the crew need to leave the tables soaking wet or would it have been okay to leave it "sponge dry"? This might have made it easier for passengers. IMO, service should not decrease in cases like this (unless a high percentage of the crew were ill which was not the case on the Riviera). While I understand that both Oceania and Regent are hiring a lot of people for their two new ships, it is not an excuse for poor service or untrained crew members.

It is an interesting dilemma -- whatever Oceania does could set a precedent and I'm sure they do not want to appear responsible for a virus onboard that they likely did not cause (I don't buy the theory that it was caused by food handlers as this would have resulted in more passengers and crew becoming ill).

Edited by Travelcat2

First I want to say that I agree that the situation was not handled well and I do feel badly for the people on the ship. In terms of "blame", must we always place blame on someone? Has everything you have paid for in your life turned out the way you wanted it? I suppose you can blame some passengers that help spread the virus by touching surfaces on the ship that were later touched by other people who touched their faces and made them sick, etc.

From what I have read, the crew on the ship did everything within their power to control the virus - working endlessly to clean every possible surface on the ship (and they did this without extra compensation unless cruise lines are now paying overtime - something not done in the past). The crew missed not only sleep but the ability to go ashore to call their families. I guess you could respond by saying that they did not pay for the cruise and you did.

P.S. For anyone that is interested, Regent's Mariner is now "Code Green". The back-up generator was flown out to them from Miami and the ship is probably leaving the port they were "stuck" in and are on their way to Rio. So far, no one is asking for compensation.

I am not talking about blame, but who is responsible for everything that takes place on their ships. The buck has to stop somewhere and in this case it is with Oceania. They need to step up and admit, their ship, their problem. 25% much too little to compensate people for this very poor cruise.

CruiserPK: I have been on a ship with gastroenteritis - even the Captain and General Manager caught it. It was the worst of our 24 cruises (on Oceania's sister cruise line). No compensation/credit/or anything else. It was so bad that my DH missed Christmas completely (as did many others).

Iamthesea: It sounds as if the situation on the Riviera was made worse by the management and even the crew. It also sounds like the illness on the other Oceania/Regent ships are being handled better. I'm not sure if Oceania management has taken this into consideration.

While not wanting to add more "stuff" to this thread, I think it is important to remind Oceania and Regent management that there appears to be a lack of training in many areas recently. If two crew members on our last cruise did not know where the restrooms were, how are they expected to act properly during a Norovirus outbreak? Did the crew need to leave the tables soaking wet or would it have been okay to leave it "sponge dry"? This might have made it easier for passengers. IMO, service should not decrease in cases like this (unless a high percentage of the crew were ill which was not the case on the Riviera). While I understand that both Oceania and Regent are hiring a lot of people for their two new ships, it is not an excuse for poor service or untrained crew members.

It is an interesting dilemma -- whatever Oceania does could set a precedent and I'm sure they do not want to appear responsible for a virus onboard that they likely did not cause (I don't buy the theory that it was caused by food handlers as this would have resulted in more passengers and crew becoming ill).

You might want to read the CDC report and your theory on food handlers might take an about turn. Symptomatic and serving is a recipe for disaster.

You might want to read the CDC report and your theory on food handlers might take an about turn. Symptomatic and serving is a recipe for disaster.

I went directly to the report from the CDC regarding the outbreak on the Riviera last month (see below). Could you direct me to where you saw the Oceania article on food handlers? Thanks!

Investigation Update on the Oceania Riviera

Cruise Line: Oceania Cruises

Cruise Ship: Oceania Riviera

Voyage Dates: February 12-22, 2016

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 124 of 1,225 (10.12%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 773 (0.39%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

•Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,

•Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing,

•Making multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,

•Sent public health and sanitation manager, two physicians from the cruise line corporate office to oversee and assist with implementation of the sanitation and outbreak response procedures,

•Sent additional crew and equipment to the ship to assist in the execution of the ship’s outbreak response procedures,

•Consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Miami, FL, including: ◦sailing back to Miami, FL early to complete multiple sanitation barriers prior to the next voyage,

◦planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and

◦planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.

A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist are currently making plans to board the ship upon arrival in Miami, FL to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens have been collected and tested onboard using a norovirus rapid test; results were positive for norovirus. The specimens will be sent to CDC for additional testing.

Thank you for your understanding. :)