Shorts in MDR

rs12065

Last cruiise on the Sapphire there were men turned away almost every night, we had a table with a stunning view of the entrance and the Maitre'd was very much a rules follower. Also saw several passengers denied entrance because they came to late (Good going)

For those of you that say that shorts are not permitted, are wrong. We got off the Caribbean Princess on the 21st, and believe me, shorts were worn, along with t-shirts and ball caps, nothing seems to have been said. Even my brother-in-law wore shorts every night but formal and it was okay. Saw girls wearing shorts that barely covered their assets. It appears that Princess is dumming down to Carnival level. In my survey to them, I said why even bother having a dress code as it is not adhered to, and the staff can't or won't say anything. Let people wear their PJ's to dinner, no one cares. At least when you go to a resort, they stick to people wearing semi-formal at dinner

Was on the Emerald last October and saw men turned away from DR. One was giving the hosted a hard time. The MD made it clear <firmly but polity> that if the gentleman wanted to eat in the md, that he needed to change. He left in a huff with his DW and no idea if they returned. Bet he will be the kind of guy that will give a bad review just because he was not speial enough to not have to follow the code.

Was on the Emerald last October and saw men turned away from DR. One was giving the hosted a hard time. The MD made it clear <firmly but polity> that if the gentleman wanted to eat in the md, that he needed to change. He left in a huff with his DW and no idea if they returned. Bet he will be the kind of guy that will give a bad review just because he was not speial enough to not have to follow the code.

You are right........

Hey after all it was "his" cruise. There will always be those that twist things in their favor. The entitled ones.

I believe shorts are only allowed in the MDR on Formal Nights for those passengers sharing the AIBP, and going to the Anytime Dining instead of their

assigned Traditional Dining time. :p

:):):):) And you must wear your Cruise Card around your neck, especially if it's a Black card!

For the umpteenth time,shorts are not permitted in the MDR on Princess cruises. .

I would have agreed with you had I not seen it myself. The first night I just thought it was due to it being the first night, but it kept happening with the same group all week, except for formal nights.

Here's the bottom line ladies and gentleman.........who's the gate keeper that night ????? If you have a HW there that just plain doesn't care.......Or one who does care, but doesn't want to get crap for making a stink........or one who is too busy BS'ing too much instead of being the proper dress policeman than people will come in with no problem. I've been told more than once it has to do with politics......they Pi$$ somebody off, and they raise he77 with corporate, then all of the sudden they're getting dragged in on the carpet.

So it boils down to who wants to do their job properly and enforce the rules.

(my guess it has a lot to do with the Maitre D also....if the HW knows he'll back him if something comes up, then they're more likely to be the enforcer)

Edited by SRQfireman

I would have agreed with you had I not seen it myself. The first night I just thought it was due to it being the first night, but it kept happening with the same group all week, except for formal nights.

They did not wear their formal shorts on formal night?

After all the comments no one seemed to have suffered from the wearing of shorts on any evening. Even people who wore them had their meals delivered and presented in the same fashion as people with long pants so it didn't present a problem with the service or quality of the food unless you were horrified by the sight & ate elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Depends on the ship. On the Royal, we saw men in shorts several times, on the Grand last month, one of our table mates was denied entry one night for wearing shorts. If you must wear shorts, go to the Horizon court. This is not a hard choice.

Edited by weedpindle

Do people really spend vacation monitoring if others are wearing shorts in the MDR. Like the vacation bathroom hand washing monitors. I go on vacation to get away from real issues from the office/life, why take on something so insignificant on vacation.

Edited by MrMan

My last cruise was in 2012, on the Ruby, but I saw men dining together in cargo shorts and loafers, no socks, in the dining room more than once at dinner.

Do people really spend vacation monitoring if others are wearing shorts in the MDR. Like the vacation bathroom hand washing monitors. I go on vacation to get away from real issues from the office/life, why take on something so insignificant on vacation.

Wearing shorts in the MDR doesn't but anyone's health at risk, but not washing hands in the bathroom certainly does.

Apples vs oranges, for sure

Noticing something and "monitoring" it are not the same things. OP asked, and some people answered with what they had seen. If you don't want OP to get his/her question answered, then maybe you'd feel better if you didn't read this thread. Just saying...

I believe there was a very recent review of Emerald reporting that men in shorts were being turned away from the MDR at dinner, even on Smart Casual nights.

Outside of pairing Bermuda shorts with a blazer and knee socks, the term "dressy shorts" is an oxymoron. A position Princess agrees with and occasionally chooses to actually enforce at the MDR in the evening. (Not starting an argument, just stating a fact).

A friend of ours wasn't even allowed into the captain's club evening cocktail hours for elites and above when wearing a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt. I hadn't realized that rule existed but it makes sense to me -- they are pre-dinner cocktails so the dress code is similar. So, no shorts allowed other than in the buffet for dinnertime.

Edited by Cruise Raider

A friend of ours wasn't even allowed into the captain's club evening cocktail hours for elites and above when wearing a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt. I hadn't realized that rule existed but it makes sense to me -- they are pre-dinner cocktails so the dress code is similar. So, no shorts allowed other than in the buffet for dinnertime.

Captains Club? Elites & above? Are you talking about Princess or another cruise line?

Royal Caribbean perhaps?