Why Loyalty To One Cruise Line?

MAGNUM PI

We tend to bounce between Carnival and NCL. We're not so much "loyal" to a cruise line in so much that cruising isn't cheap. If we're going to shell out $2-3k for the cruise and another $1-2k on flights and hotels, we tend to do with a known good rather than trying something else.

Just as a different line of thought, what if what you originally started with was the worst based on what you want? Without trying someone else you'll never know there was something better out there.

For me it's the product, like you said. Carnival is a line where we can go with the flow, do what we like when we like, with NO PLANNING. So many lines are turning to planning meals or show times, and that isn't what a cruise is to me.

I'm young (20) so I'm not looking at celebrity or holland as options, but I have been in Disney and RCCL. I've yet to try Norwegian, and will one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We started out on Carnival, and we love it. We did a RCL cruise and weren't as fond of it(although we still had a good time). We will definitely try RCL again, especially Allure or Oasis. We both love Carinval but we are booked on 2 NCL cruises this year. Why you may ask?? 2 reasons: 1. We love trying new things, and I want to be able to compare all the different lines. 2. The value NCL is offering right now, Cranival doesn't even come CLOSE to touching. We have a 7 night booked for about $1500 and that includes their beverage package. The similar cruise on Carinval would be over $2200 dollars! So for us, the perks NCL are currently offering make it a no brainier.

Just as a different line of thought, what if what you originally started with was the worst based on what you want? Without trying someone else you'll never know there was something better out there.

And I don't disagree with that. We've considered trying RCL at some point. Will probably do a Disney cruise once the little one is old enough to appreciate it.

It's sad that the US essentially eliminated the ability for cruise lines to do a CTN. I know a lot of people say the short cruises don't resemble the longer ones, but for the way we cruise, it was a nice way for us to try Carnival without a huge outlay.

We have only cruised 3 times; once on Celebrity, which we loved, and twice on Princess, which we also love. We have a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise booked for Sept, and I will be booking another Caribbean cruise for next year on Princess. We like their products, but if we found a great price on another cruise line I would certainly book it. I don't think I will EVER be one of those people who attains the highest loyalty status on any cruise line, because we are late to the game on cruising (in our 50s), and don't have unlimited time or money. But sometimes you just find a product you really like, and continue to use it.

We started out on Carnival, and we love it. We did a RCL cruise and weren't as fond of it(although we still had a good time). We will definitely try RCL again, especially Allure or Oasis. We both love Carinval but we are booked on 2 NCL cruises this year. Why you may ask?? 2 reasons: 1. We love trying new things, and I want to be able to compare all the different lines. 2. The value NCL is offering right now, Cranival doesn't even come CLOSE to touching. We have a 7 night booked for about $1500 and that includes their beverage package. The similar cruise on Carinval would be over $2200 dollars! So for us, the perks NCL are currently offering make it a no brainier.

The beverage package on NCL only has meaning (and value) if one is a drinker. Also, Carnival does many things much better than NCL.

Edited by TaDaaa!

I guess our "loyalty" is based on; "You can't teach an 'old' dog new tricks". After our first couple of cruises with CCL, we became familiar with their "routine" and the way the Line does business. We are comfortable with CCL and at present, see no need to change.

We cruise for itinerary, timing and price, but have found that we have gained loyalty status with several cruise lines. I certainly wouldn't deliberately pay extra to get the perks but now that we have reached the levels, I appreciate what we get. That said, if all things are equal now( in terms of several cruises), we will go with the line with the perks.:D

The beverage package on NCL only has meaning (and value) if one is a drinker. Also, Carnival does many things much better than NCL.

Well thanks for that brilliant comment captain obvious. Obviously if you aren't a drinker than it wouldn't matter, why even mention that?? Have you been on any NCL cruises?? As I mentioned, and is in my signature, this is our first NCl cruise, and we are excited to try it out. As you can see, I have been on Carnival several times and enjoy it, but the value right now isn't even close. Please tell me all the "many thing Carnival does better"??

2. The value NCL is offering right now, Cranival doesn't even come CLOSE to touching. We have a 7 night booked for about $1500 and that includes their beverage package. The similar cruise on Carinval would be over $2200 dollars! So for us, the perks NCL are currently offering make it a no brainier.

It all looks good on the surface, but no one knows how to get a nickel or dime out of your pocket like NCL. Those booking incentives do look very attractive but what they don't tell you off the bat is you still need to pay gratuities on their "free" beverage and dining packages. Then, once they have you captive on board, they nail you with $7.95 room service charges, the highest daily gratuities in the business and several other little fees. Everyone nickel and dimes, but NCL is the master at it. One way or another, the cruise lines get their money.

But getting back to the subject of this thread, if you've only sailed one line, it's good to try another line, even if its NCL.

We've tried several lines: slightly prefer some to others, but none of them have been poor.

Itinerary is first, but ageing bones don't like sitting in an aeroplane for more than 4 or 5 hours, :rolleyes: so we're looking at less, but longer cruises, such as the 28 days from the UK round the Caribbean and back we've recently completed, and may well repeat next winter (oh, dear, same line and same ship! :D )

We're also getting more cynical at the reasons some lines put forward for their increased tipping, especially on bar sales, and so those lines are not often considered these days.

Over the past 16 years, two-thirds of our cruises have been on Princess. Itinerary and price are my starting points. There's no use in looking at cruises that don't fit our schedule or our budget. We've taken several cruises on other lines, but the past-passenger perks we'll miss out on on those other lines are something I take into consideration before booking.

Well thanks for that brilliant comment captain obvious. Obviously if you aren't a drinker than it wouldn't matter, why even mention that?? Have you been on any NCL cruises?? As I mentioned, and is in my signature, this is our first NCl cruise, and we are excited to try it out. As you can see, I have been on Carnival several times and enjoy it, but the value right now isn't even close. Please tell me all the "many thing Carnival does better"??

Because you mentioned how exceptional the pricing was with NCL but that pricing is only exceptional because of the included alcohol package (which isn't completely free....you still have to pay the 18% gratuity on it).

I've been on 4 NCL cruises. Do you think I would comment on how good or bad NCL is if I had not been on at least one? :rolleyes:

Carnival has fixed time dining with the same service team.

Carnival does not charge for room service.

Carnival has much much better pizza and is open 24/7.

Carnival has bigger pools.

Carnival shows more movies and shows on the big screen TV.

Carnival has MUCH better service in the MDR and better tasting food.

Carnival has larger cabins.

Carnival doesn't charge gratuities on top of the cover charge at specialty restaurants.

Carnival has a piano bar.

Carnival has Guy's and the Blue Iguana.

Carnival hands out trophies for the winner of each game (trivia, sports, etc). On NCL, they give you points at each game which can be redeemed for something not very special at the end of the cruise.

Carnival doesn't charge a corkage fee to bring wine on the ship.

Oh, and it's Master Sergeant, not Captain. ;)

Over the past 16 years, two-thirds of our cruises have been on Princess. Itinerary and price are my starting points. There's no use in looking at cruises that don't fit our schedule or our budget. We've taken several cruises on other lines, but the past-passenger perks we'll miss out on on those other lines are something I take into consideration before booking.

That is a problem, when you start to miss the perks when cruising on other lines.

For 8 years we spent 2 weeks in Disney every year. Always on property, always with a dining plan, always with magical express, not even venturing out of Disney's bubble the whole time in Orlando.

I could give you 100 reasons why we never tried Universal , or other vacations during that time. From little things like the way I feel on main street, being able to not drive a car the whole trip, knowing my way like the back of my hand, to more emotional things like being there for our honeymoon, memories of Eeyore and Chip holding our 5 Month old, the way they let us stay 3 days for free (plus park tickets) when we were stranded there Sept 11 and flights were canceled and rental cars were all gone in a matter of hours.

We Loved Disney so much nothing could charm us away. Last year we didn't go. We took the kids to Rocky Mountain national park for a week and Williamsburg/ Jamestown another. I realized I could love Disney most and still love other vacations. We have our first cruise with kids this year ( and 3 days at Universal)

So, I see both sides. I've lived both sides, and both ways are right. Loyalty to one, or trying them all. It's all wonderful.

For 8 years we spent 2 weeks in Disney every year. Always on property, always with a dining plan, always with magical express, not even venturing out of Disney's bubble the whole time in Orlando.

I could give you 100 reasons why we never tried Universal , or other vacations during that time. From little things like the way I feel on main street, being able to not drive a car the whole trip, knowing my way like the back of my hand, to more emotional things like being there for our honeymoon, memories of Eeyore and Chip holding our 5 Month old, the way they let us stay 3 days for free (plus park tickets) when we were stranded there Sept 11 and flights were canceled and rental cars were all gone in a matter of hours.

We Loved Disney so much nothing could charm us away. Last year we didn't go. We took the kids to Rocky Mountain national park for a week and Williamsburg/ Jamestown another. I realized I could love Disney most and still love other vacations. We have our first cruise with kids this year ( and 3 days at Universal)

So, I see both sides. I've lived both sides, and both ways are right. Loyalty to one, or trying them all. It's all wonderful.

Good points.:D

Our first class on Holland America, to Alaska in 2007. It was an extended family cruise and my mother-in-law picked the line. The next year, we wanted to take her son and daughter-in-law on a cruise and we each wanted to have a balcony cabin, so we chose Carnival.

We were so surprised by the step down in food and ambience. I've never seen so many ball caps being worn in a dining room and. People walking around carrying a bucket of beers Most people could care less, but it is not the atmosphere I am looking for. Just my point of view.

We find that we really enjoy the product that Holland America puts out, so we have no desire to try another cruise line.

If you want loyalty then get a dog.

We have never understood this business of being 'loyal' to a faceless corporate entity that happen to operate a cruise line.

Most of their so called loyalty programs are mediocre. We get better loyalty rewards from our on line TA in the form of 8-12 percent commission able fare rebates in the form of OBC's. Works out to a free cruise every ten or twelve. Far better than a free lunch, some laundry or some tacky pin or medallion.

So we are loyal to the best cruise value to used based upon our personal preferences. ship is more important than cruise line to us. We do enjoy perks like Diamond on RCI but those perks will not make us pay an uncompetitive fare just to enjoy them.

Edited by iancal
Lp