Carry On Challenge - tips and suggestions please !

Hello, I am booked on the Magic for March 6. I have not yet packed. I usually take a lot of heavy luggage and pack a lot, but I never end up using everything. This time I am challenging myself to pack everything in 1 carry on and 1 back pack. I went to Ross and got a carry on size for $39.00. Does anyone have any suggestions and tips ? Please let me know if you have done this and how it worked out (or didn't !) Thanks ! :D

Every cruise I have ever been on was with an airline approved size carry-on and a small backpack as my "personal Item"... I usually come home with some clean clothes still in my bag, although most of my stuff is just shorts and T-shirts... I carry everything onto and off of the ship myself so I don't have do deal with the porters and waiting for luggage to arrive...

Pack one or two "bottoms" that go with anything (like white or black skirts or capris) and a variety of tops for dinner. Cutting down on the dressy clothes makes all the difference. During the day, my family tends to be in swimsuits most of the time, anyway!

Skip the underwear - its a space waster. Bring only 2 pairs of shorts, 2 shirts, 1 pair of flip-flops and 1 bathing suit. Keep the toiletries to a minimum and forget the make-up.

Easy peasy.

+1 And if you roll it all carefully, you can skip the back pack and carry on. Just use a gallon ziploc bag and vacuum it shut.

We just got off the Conquest on Feb 20th. Hubby and I each took a carry on and a personal size tote and managed just fine. We packed travel size toiletries, a qt size bag with misc items, 2 pr shorts for each, 2 pr pants/capris, swimsuits and a cover up for me, about 10 shirts/tops for each of us, and undies for 8 days, and sleepwear. We did not have to do laundry on the ship although that is an option for you. We each took 2 pr shoes/sandals, also. We each had a hat. This was the first that we travelled like this but we will do it again! Wear a light jacket or sweater so you will have it on the ship. Have fun!

Lots of tips on the Fashion and Beauty board.

Mix and Match

Do laundry

Bring Febreeze

Look at The Vivienne Files and Lady Light Travel.

Edited by SadieN

We did 3 weeks touring in Europe on trains with a 22" suitcase each.

My Basics:

Bottoms were all denim or black

Tops all went with all the bottoms

3 pr of shoes - boat shoes for touring, black flats for dinner, leather flips that doubled at slippers

1 Water resistant windbreaker

1 lightweight nightgown that could be hand washed and dried in 1 day.

1 Tube of laundry soap designed for hand washing from Travelsmith - or woolite

Left plenty of room for undies and swimsuit and souvenirs.

Edited by summersigh

Skip the underwear - its a space waster. Bring only 2 pairs of shorts, 2 shirts, 1 pair of flip-flops and 1 bathing suit. Keep the toiletries to a minimum and forget the make-up.

Easy peasy.

You have got to love the Bob's back yard BBQ approach to cruising. So easy to pack it all into a gym bag and go. No fuss no muss

Easy peasy.

How BIG is your underwear? Yikes!

NO issues.

I go with black bottoms--stains won't show, goes with everything.

2 pr. shorts

2 pr. capris, 1 dressy

2 tees for breakfast

5 nicer tops--1 really dressy if you want.

Fit flops (good for pool & walking)

Leather flip flops or walking shoe

Dressier shoe (could just do the leather flip flops)

2 bras--one black, one nude (can hand wash)

3 underwear (handwash)

Swimsuit

Cover up

Black pashmina or sweater, in case it is cold on the ship.

Travel toiletries

THAT IS IT (I have actually done it with 10 tops & 5 pair of shoes in Vegas for 5 days!!!)

Edited by KKB

Clothes do double duty and I take no electronics. That alone saves having to do any washing in the sink.

I use refillable travel size bottles for my toiletries, which are few.

I always have room for a few books which I read and then leave in the ship's library/book nook or drop off at Little Free Librries if there are any in my ports.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Every cruise I have ever been on was with an airline approved size carry-on and a small backpack as my "personal Item"... I usually come home with some clean clothes still in my bag, although most of my stuff is just shorts and T-shirts... I carry everything onto and off of the ship myself so I don't have do deal with the porters and waiting for luggage to arrive...

So, haven't been to Alaska yet?

I went to Italy on a multi-city tour (10 days) and only carried a backpack that was carry-on size. Although, it is nice to brag that I did it, I would not do it again. I like having choices for what I want to wear. It was tough getting those toiletries down to a quart size bag (and there were some things I definitely missed.) That said although 7 days of underwear doesn't take up that much space, I did not anticipate how much perspiring I would do and that I would not want to re-wear some clothes without washing. Luckily you can do the ships laundry if needed. I took cold-wash woolite and did some laundry in my hotel room. The problem of course is how long it takes to dry. One definite tip - I took a small zippered tote bag to check on the way back to make room for souvenirs.

Why go to the other extreme.

Don't limit yourself to one carry on. Take more luggage.

Keith

My thoughts exactly! If this is a Caribbean Cruise then you WILL sweat. I don't know about anyone else but I go on vacation to get away from chores, so not wasting my time up doing laundry in the sink or whatever is worth bringing enough clothing. Also I don't know how anyone gets by bringing only one swimsuit? I've never had a suit dry in my room in one day so I always have at least 2-3 for any sailing.

I have managed to get my luggage down to one carryon and backpack size bag. I have a collection of shirts and shorts that are very lightweight and dry fast if hand washed. No more than three pair shoes, wearing one. I wear my sneakers, have sandals for evening and another pair for sightseeing and around the ship. Sometimes I can get away with just one pair sandals. My outfit for 'formal' nights takes up no more space than shorts and a shirt. I don't carry shampoo and soap, I use what is provided. Had to take a hairdryer on the last trip because I knew my cabin would not have one. I do travel with a laptop. My wardrobe does not include anything that will suffer from being washed by the ship laundry. EM

There are some great tips here already so I'll try to add rather than duplicate.

For the record - I am a girly girl and not really a minimalist. However, I tend to travel quite a bit and I get VERY tired of dragging luggage around. So I have learned to pack wisely and can easily spend a week with one carry on bag and one large purse - and still be stylish and made up. Sorry, not leaving my make up behind!

My travel wardrobe is made up of basics with accessories to change them up. Scarves, statement necklaces, earrings and bracelets take up FAR less room than total outfits. Everything mixes and matches. Wear a sweater on the plane or to the ship - I choose one that easily dresses up or down. Nice to have layers!

For a cruise I'll pack three pair of shoes - dressy, casual sandals and walking shoes. One pair of socks that can easily be washed out in my sink and hung to dry at night.

Don't ignore the space inside of your shoes. You can get lots of underwear in there.

Two extra bras maximum in your bag - you're already wearing one so you have three. Also an easy rinse-out and dry at night.

Travel bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap - natural, lovely for your skin, perfect for hand washing any of your garments, a little goes a LONG way. One travel bottle is more than enough for a week.

Travel make up - Mary Kay makes an excellent, streamlined case that fits a lot of make up. I'm sure other companies have the same. This slides right into the outer zipper container on my carry on.

Travel bottles for my skin care - face wash, moisturizer, hair spray and so on.

One little black dress for formal nights. Change up the look with jewelry and/or a scarf.

This is for warm weather climates - the cruise to Alaska would be a little different. lol

Pare down your beauty routine. Bring the minimum toiletries, lotions and potions.

Many things come in travel sizes and outdoor stores carry small containers for the rest.

Figure out how much you need of any one thing. Do trial runs at home. No need for a large bottle of shampoo when an ounce will do. For us a travel size toothpaste is 14 uses. 10ml recycled eye drop bottle hold 42 applications of argan oil. One side of a contact lens case holds 10 days worth of hair gel.

Medicines can be reduced. Use ziplock bags or other containers. The packaging just takes up too much room.

Edited by SadieN

We only do carry on now. What worked for us was just buying the right size of bag and limiting ourselves. That plus cutting out all the shoes and not bothering with formal nights.

We usually travel for 8-12 weeks at a time, twice per year. We are travelling now. Six flights, four ferries so far, no issue with either the size or the weight of our carry on.

It was challenging to do it at first but now we love it. We shop for carry on clothing. Multiple use garments, no wrinkle, easy to hand wash, layered product. Plus we stopped carrying around a load of personal care products that we really did not need.

It has been so very liberating and has served to make us much happier travellers/cruisers.

Edited by iancal