Donating your books to the ship's library

greykangaroo

I think that all of us who read books have done this on our cruises.

I have donated some great novels to ships I have sailed on over the years.

But I have never felt that the books became the property of the ship even thought I wrote in the fly leaf that my wife and I had donated them to the ship. I see fellow passengers on the last day plundering the shelves when most of them haven't purchased anything.

On our last cruise I went the help desk on the last day and asked if they could at least be stamped with the ship's name to make them appear to be part of the library.

No I was told that wasn't done and books originated from head office or somewhere.

I would like to see the books not only stamped but micro-chipped so they became true ship's library books.

We all know that some ships have appalling librarys and we are forced to buy books ashore. As they are too big and heavy to take home in airline luggage we leave them on the ship.

I for one would get a kick out of knowing that I added to the library of a ship I had enjoyed.

• Like 1

I prefer reading paper books (as opposed to a tablet). I always pack paperbacks (lighter) to read for the cruise and leave them when I finish. I have also left them in airports. I feel that whoever picks them up will enjoy them. I browse the ship's library for (donated) books that I can read during the cruise and leave behind also. But if I did not finish a book, I take it with me. I would never start a ship's official book because I might not finish it. With the book space open, I have room for a few souvenirs. Leave your read books without worrying who might pick it up next. They get circulated (but not used up).

I prefer reading paper books (as opposed to a tablet). I always pack paperbacks (lighter) to read for the cruise and leave them when I finish. I have also left them in airports. I feel that whoever picks them up will enjoy them. I browse the ship's library for (donated) books that I can read during the cruise and leave behind also. But if I did not finish a book, I take it with me. I would never start a ship's official book because I might not finish it. With the book space open, I have room for a few souvenirs. Leave your read books without worrying who might pick it up next. They get circulated (but not used up).

I also bring books (have tried 2 different Kindles and they just don't cut it for me) and leave them behind when I finish them.

This last February we did B2B cruises on 2 different ships. The last day of the first cruise i saw a book on the shelf that had no ship markings on it and took it to read. I finished it on the second cruise (different ship) and left it there.

I NEVER would have taken a book that had the ship's name stamped on it!

So, OP, I guess if your intention is to donate to the ship's library, you should take the book to Guest Services. If your only intention is to pass it on to another reader to enjoy then just leave it on the shelf.

When sailing I either read on my ASUS tablet or on my android phone. My wife reads on her iPad or her android phone.

At home we both read on those devices as well as library books and also purchase used books sometimes.

All of the Princess ships have a library shelf designated for a passengers book exchange. People leave their read books and pick up any that they are interested in. I have done that on many of my cruises.

Exactly and it works out quite well! :)

On most voyages I will bring numerous paperback books and when finished leave them in the designated spot in the library. Every once in a while I will find a book someone else has left and I will "borrow" it and quickly read it and then return it to the library. While some folks may think it is OK to take these books for themselves to take home, I would like to believe that the vast majority would not do so and in the end there will be more books available for everyone in the library.

• Like 1

As a public librarian, I have to tell people almost daily that just because they were donating their nice, only read once hardback book to the library, that does not automatically mean their donation will become a circulating library copy. I'm sure Princess, just like most library systems has policies and procedures on how books become added to the ships libraries. Instead of just writing on the inside that you are donating it, contact Princes and find out how to properly donate books.

I love book exchanges and libraries. I often leave books on cruises, hotels, the USO at airports, with the feeling that someone will pick it up and enjoy it. They might enjoy it at this location or take it home with them. The purpose of the written word is to share the 'story' whether it is a fiction or non-fiction book. Once I enjoyed it, time to pass it on. I also pick up books on a cruise. I know some of you might disagree, but I feel if I left a book, and I didn't finish my selection, it is alright to take a donated book home and re-donate it later. That does not apply to library books, just donated books.

• Like 2

As a public librarian, I have to tell people almost daily that just because they were donating their nice, only read once hardback book to the library, that does not automatically mean their donation will become a circulating library copy. I'm sure Princess, just like most library systems has policies and procedures on how books become added to the ships libraries. Instead of just writing on the inside that you are donating it, contact Princes and find out how to properly donate books.

They certainly don't become official books. Even though the books that passengers buy ashore in desperation to get something good to read, they all seem to mysteriously vanish by the next cruise.

How many past passengers remember going to the library to find the books that have been left? They just aren't there within only 24 hours.

So what happens to them? I believe they are all stripped from the shelves and destroyed or perlioned by office staff before the next sailing.

As I said, I have asked at guest services for a stamp for the books and am told that it isn't company policy.

I know that there are books and books and some of them are too damaged to be suitable, but many are fine quality and are suitable for the shelves.

Here we are talking about giving something and they aren't interested.

On one Princess cruise that we were on, Noro virus was prevalent. I was told that donated books were destroyed to help curtail "sharing" of the virus.

I don't know if all ships in the fleet do this, but I guess it is something that I hadn't thought considered.

When I donated a book, I fully expected it to be obtained by another pax to enjoy. I'm just happy someone else could enjoy it, and i could use that extra pound in my luggage for souvenirs! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree.

Don't forget to go to the library on the first afternoon and grab the best atlas and all the Fodor's and Lonely Planet books on the ports ahead and take them all to your cabin.

Edited by greykangaroo
wrongly spelt

Don't forget to go to the library on the first afternoon and grab the best atlas and all the Fodor's and Lonely Planet books on the ports ahead and take them all to your cabin.

Along with MUTS blankets to use on your balcony.

Along with MUTS blankets to use on your balcony.

I really don't use them on my balcony.. it's the Show lounge that gets cold in the afternoon for the movie. :p

Also when doing a B2B on the last day head to the library for all the discarded books. You'll get first pick before the new passengers board.;)

Edited by floridalover5623

I have borrowed books (cruiseline and passenger-donated) during many cruises and returned them at the end of the cruise. I have donated numerous books at the beginning and end of my cruises. I bring my already enjoyed books from home by stashing a couple in my suitcase for the sheer purpose of paying it forward.

I couldn't care less if fellow passengers "raid" the donated books shelf during or at the end of a cruise. That's why I donate.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1