Danube River Itinerary Questions/Comments

Got2Cruise

I contribute to Trip Advisor just as I do to Cruise Critic so I can't agree with you entirely on that score. TA, like CC, is full of individual opinions and you can get "I love it!" right after a "Worst food ever!" review. It makes for entertaining reading that's for sure. People cab have such wildly varying opinions on the exact same thing.

My problem with TA is that their categories often lack sufficient texture to be useful. On our US road trips when I look up a town we have never been to, the restaurant ratings are an incomprehensible mixture from gas station microwaves to haut cuisine. When the #1 listing is IHOP, I stop reading!

But Rick Steves? With you a 100%. I wouldn't stay anywhere or eat anywhere he recommends. His followers are slavish to a degree and I feel their devotion to anything he recommends ruins the character of the venue. You can read a review for a restaurant on TA and maybe say a 100 people might go there because of it. Rick Steves recommends a restaurant and a 100 people a day go there because of it. That's bound to make an impact and not necessarily a good one. BTW, we've met him twice already and he's a nice enough guy and gives a great lecture. But I"m still not going to his places. ;)

I agree about Rick's restaurant reviews, although he does give more detail about his suggestions than most guidebooks and you have a better frame of reference than with TA -- even if the image I get of Rick at dinner is of Lake Wobegon's "bachelor Norwegian farmers." [i know he's from Seattle, but his vibe is very upper midwest. :)] On the other hand, I have found his hotel recommendations to be much more reliable. I was expecting the picture you paint -- which BTW is exactly [GEEZER ALERT] what we thought of Europe on $5 a Day back in its heyday in the 1960s -- but we have not run into very many RS devotees in our hotels and his descriptions are quite accurate. Maybe this is because we stick with his "splurge" or quaint-in-a-good-way listings. He does try to avoid cross-listing with Fodors and Frommer [way past his heyday, hey hey], so at least you do not find the entire hotel overrun with American tourists! This was true for our lengthy trips in France and Spain, which are handled by different Rick Steves agents on the ground. We'll be testing his description of Residenza Cellini in Rome this spring ["feels like the guest wing of a gorgeous Neoclassical palace" -- wouldn't expect to meet any bachelor Norwegian farmers there!]. But for restaurants, I look to Fodors rather than Rick.

IMO, don't use a money exchange booth/office. Use an ATM to get the best exchange rate.

Check your hotel's website or give them a call to find out if they have an ATM/cash point in the hotel.

The ATM we used at the Marriott, allowed you to request small denominations of cash. Small shops/vendors may be hesitant to give you change for a large bill. Better to already have some smaller denominations of forints.

Have used TA quite extensively when travelling in North America and Europe and I can honestly say that with some careful reading and monitoring recommendations the places we have stayed at, eaten at and visited have always been great. I disregard the 1% negative ratings and have to see three or four with similar complaints before I will dismiss a place with otherwise good ratings.

I must admit, I am a little lost here, cannot remember much from my trip. In Passau or Bavaria in general food is a little on the hearty, strong side. Things to go for would be Schweinshaxe and Knödel. Or Knödel to go with some other meat. Lamb is seasonal, usual around Easter Time, wild boar and venison seasonal in Autumn. The Wachau valley, as I mentioned earlier, is famous for its peaches. In Vienna I would try and get a real Wiener Schnitzel, made with a thin piece of veal, not pork. In Vienna also, speciality coffees and Wiener Apfelstrudel spring to mind.

Oh, a real speciality is Linzer Torte, the real stuff made in Linz in Austria. A type of cake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linzer_torte

Budapest, well paprika will probably be offered to you in some sort of main dish on the boat I hope. Other than that Szeged goulash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goulash

Our chef always offered a regional dish as main course or dessert on the day we passed that town or region.

The local wines may also be interesting to sample as well as regional beer. The cruise director is probably to best person to advise you on that, if not the chef.

After a week of sheer indulge on food on my river cruise I seriously was looking forward to a frozen pizza heated up in my oven at home. Now I would love to have that amazing Apfelstrudel I had on the boat when we were in Vienna. :D

notamermaid

You ask about souvenirs--just depends on what you like. Keychains make wonderful Christmas ornaments and are usually less breakable. I am a knitter, so bring back yarn that appeals to me. Another thing that I have brought home are beautiful handmade cutwork table runners--don't take up much space and again unbreakable. DH always adds to his wine supply and also his mustard hoard. Grocery stores are a treasure trove for souvenirs and goodies to snack on along the way.

Enjoy, but caution is advised--river cruising can become addictive.:D We are going on #21 in the fall. Pat

You ask about souvenirs--just depends on what you like. Keychains make wonderful Christmas ornaments and are usually less breakable. I am a knitter, so bring back yarn that appeals to me. Another thing that I have brought home are beautiful handmade cutwork table runners--don't take up much space and again unbreakable. DH always adds to his wine supply and also his mustard hoard. Grocery stores are a treasure trove for souvenirs and goodies to snack on along the way.

Enjoy, but caution is advised--river cruising can become addictive.:D We are going on #21 in the fall. Pat

Pacmom I know it's addictive. It's our third! Our souvenirs are not kitschy but unique items. I appreciate your suggestions

Was not impressed with most of the stuff at the Central Market. A lot of it seemed to be standard tourist tat/junk. Not all Hungarian items. For example, one vendor told be that the nesting figurnes are make in Russia. So try to check carefully if you really want something made in Hungary.

There is also a market by the Fisherman's Bastion. When we were there, this market was much less crowded that the Central Market.

There is a lot of embroidery. Most of it is machine made but there is some more expensive hand done embroidery. Table runners are easy to pack.

Was not impressed with most of the stuff at the Central Market. A lot of it seemed to be standard tourist tat/junk.

I had the same reaction compounded by my general dislike of crowds - and it was mighty crowded - plus the heat last August (in the upper nineties outside). But then I am not a shopper.

Hi Got2Cruise! Forgive me if you've mentioned this earlier, but when are you going on a Danube cruise?

We'll be boarding River Beatrice in Budapest 4 weeks from today for our third cruise with Uniworld. :D Getting very excited for this trip...hoping that I will find time to do a day by day photo journal at some point. Budapest, Bratislava, and Passau will be new visits for us; we've been to Vienna previously.

Unlike our past two river cruises, we actually took a little time on either end to allow for extra sightseeing. So we are spending two nights pre-cruise at Four Seasons Gresham Palace, which is the building in Capt_BJ's first picture, right at the end of the Chain Bridge. Looks like it will be an easy walk to the ship for us - thanks for posting that picture. I had hoped it would be close enough to walk, but that is really convenient!

We will only need Forints and Euros as we only visit Budapest, Bratislava, and a few stops in Austria & Germany. We have some leftover Euros from prior trips so we'll find an ATM somewhere after we land and grab some Forints.

Like everyone else here so far, we are horrible shoppers. So I will be of little use to you in answering any questions about that aspect of the trip! Probably will come home with a few spices, like the others. Looking forward to trying some Hungarian wines, and if we get the chance, we might bring a bottle or two home as well. But we're not much on traditional souvenirs.

We will be on River Beatrice in May. Staying prior to cruise at Starlight Suilten Hotel directly behind Four Seasons. I really would appreciate recommendations for restaurants, tours, tips to make our cruise more enjoyable. This is our first time on river boat and these countries. Have a terrific time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have more questions about specific places our Ama Melodies of the Danube stops. Please feel free to put in your .02 about any of these stops.

Bratislava, Slovakia -- I think I'm going to take the walking tour of the city, the other option is "Communist History" tour. Since I'm not a history enthusiast, I'm not even familiar with the sites that will be visited (Radio Building, Liberty Square, Soviet War Memorial) but if you have any opinions let me hear them.

Vienna -- Schonbrunn Palace is an optional excursion in the afternoon. From everything I've read, it is worth the visit. I also signed up for the Hidden Vienna Walking Tour (Special Edition Tour,) for the morning.

Weissenkirchen-Emmersdorf-Grein - (hanging my head in shame I never heard of any of these places) In Weissenkirchen I signed up for a Special Edition Tour named Apricots & Sweets. . .how can we go wrong? In the afternoon we go to Melk, I have seen the beautiful Abbey, if only in the river cruise brochures. . .

On to Grein, where we can explore on our own in the evening. . .anyone have any comments about Grein. . .maybe a beer garden or wine bar?

Linz - I've been flip flopping between Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov, will wait to others get back to hear what they say. (I know most folks will vote for Cesky Krumlov)

Passau, Germany and Vilshoffen -- can't wait for the Oktoberfest type event in Vilshoffen, Ama has us well covered in these two places

Then, we are doing the three day extension in Munich.

First stop, Regensburg -- we are eating lunch there, if you have any recommendations would love to hear

Last but not least, Munich. The tour includes Neuschwanstein Castle. But I need some recommendations of fun things to do in Munich. . .

The hotel is the Meridien Munich. Not one that I would choose if I was DIY but with the transfers and side tours, this seemed the easiest way for us from the cruise to Munich and back home. . . So if you know restaurants beer gardens in the area please feel free. . .

Edited by Got2Cruise

On to Grein, where we can explore on our own in the evening. . .anyone have any comments about Grein. . .maybe a beer garden or wine bar?

Cafe-Konditorei Schoergi. All over Austria and Germany, many restaurants have outdoor tables. If you can't find one, ask a local for a Biergarten.

. . So if you know restaurants beer gardens in the area please feel free. . .

In Muenchen, best bet to find liquid sustenance outdoors: Englischer Garten = English Garden, a large downtown park with a Mini-Hofbraeuhaus Biergarten.

Edited by Floridiana

We will be on River Beatrice in May. Staying prior to cruise at Starlight Suilten Hotel directly behind Four Seasons. I really would appreciate recommendations for restaurants, tours, tips to make our cruise more enjoyable. This is our first time on river boat and these countries. Have a terrific time.

Will do - I'll be doing a trip report. Though it won't be live, hopefully it will be mostly done by the time you are ready to take this trip. We leave for Budapest on Thursday - can't believe it's almost here!

Hi, I have more questions about specific places our Ama Melodies of the Danube stops. Please feel free to put in your .02 about any of these stops.

Bratislava, Slovakia -- I think I'm going to take the walking tour of the city, the other option is "Communist History" tour. Since I'm not a history enthusiast, I'm not even familiar with the sites that will be visited (Radio Building, Liberty Square, Soviet War Memorial) but if you have any opinions let me hear them.

Hm. We don't know much about this city either. We'll be there soon, though. It looks like a nice place to just walk around on your own and sightsee. That's our plan, and I'll let you know what we think.

Vienna -- Schonbrunn Palace is an optional excursion in the afternoon. From everything I've read, it is worth the visit. I also signed up for the Hidden Vienna Walking Tour (Special Edition Tour,) for the morning.

Schoenbrunn Palace is awesome. Also, very easy to do on your own. You can buy tickets online and take the metro there independently. I also recommend the gardens. A beautiful place to spend a few hours. Here is a link to some pictures and description from our visit to Vienna in 2013. This also includes other things we did that day.

Weissenkirchen-Emmersdorf-Grein - (hanging my head in shame I never heard of any of these places) In Weissenkirchen I signed up for a Special Edition Tour named Apricots & Sweets. . .how can we go wrong? In the afternoon we go to Melk, I have seen the beautiful Abbey, if only in the river cruise brochures. . .

No idea.

Linz - I've been flip flopping between Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov, will wait to others get back to hear what they say. (I know most folks will vote for Cesky Krumlov)

We are avoiding the choice and spending the day in Linz. We will visit Salzburg on our own after the cruise. We'll leave Cesky Krumlov for another time.

Passau, Germany and Vilshoffen -- can't wait for the Oktoberfest type event in Vilshoffen, Ama has us well covered in these two places

Then, we are doing the three day extension in Munich.

First stop, Regensburg -- we are eating lunch there, if you have any recommendations would love to hear

There's a famous sausage place (that we missed when we were there) but others have mentioned... Thurm und Taxis Palace is on the edge of town and worth a visit. The old stone bridge is pretty. Here are more details.

Last but not least, Munich. The tour includes Neuschwanstein Castle. But I need some recommendations of fun things to do in Munich. . .

We have spent multiple days in Munich. Tons of fun stuff to do and many good places to eat. Englisher Garten for the Biergarten as mentioned. There's a ton of other fun Biergartens as well - in the Old Botanical Gardens, Augustiner Braueri, Lowenbrau, just to name a few. The Viktualenmarkt right off Marienplatz also has tons of good food to eat, and plenty to drink.

As far as sights - Frauenkirch, the Glockenspiel in Marienplatz, climbing the church tower at the edge of Marienplatz (Peterskirche), Hofgarten, the Residenz, Schloss Nymphenberg, the Deutsches Museum, Olympic Park, BMW factory and museum, Schleissheim Palace, etc etc. You could spend many more days here. Multiple blog entries in the same place as the earlier links.

The hotel is the Meridien Munich. Not one that I would choose if I was DIY but with the transfers and side tours, this seemed the easiest way for us from the cruise to Munich and back home. . . So if you know restaurants beer gardens in the area please feel free. . .

See above in red. There is so much to do here; you will be busy and it will be tons of fun!

Hello Got2Cruise,

a couple of comments on:

"Weissenkirchen-Emmersdorf-Grein - (hanging my head in shame I never heard of any of these places) In Weissenkirchen I signed up for a Special Edition Tour named Apricots & Sweets. . .how can we go wrong? In the afternoon we go to Melk, I have seen the beautiful Abbey, if only in the river cruise brochures. . .

On to Grein, where we can explore on our own in the evening. . .anyone have any comments about Grein. . .maybe a beer garden or wine bar?"

I did not go to Weissenkirchen but the offered Weissenkirchen tour sounds yummy. Apricots are the famous produce of that region. The only thing is, it might partly duplicate what you can get in the shop at Melk Abbey, as the monks and regional people also make produce out of Apricots. In Melk I bought some liqueur. I trust in Weissenkirchen it will be more something like cake and other sweet indulgences.

I enjoyed Melk Abbey, fantastic library, a must-see in my opinion, but then I always like a "room stuffed full of books" :D.

Short info:

http://www.donaustationen.at/en/tourist-information/danube-upper-austria/

Cafè Schorgi is a cafe-cum-ice-cream parlour and overlooks the Danube. Sounds nice.

On Linz: http://www.linztourismus.at/en/

Apparently, there is a Titanic exhibition on some time this year.

Melk: http://www.stiftmelk.at/englisch/index.html

For München: as I like "old stuff" I would go to the Alte Pinakothek. More art than fun. A more fun thing to do is perhaps visiting the Englischer Garten. Seeing that wikipedia states it as being "larger than New York's Central Park" an interesting place... I enjoyed it.

Of course, a short (or long) trip to a beer garden is a must in Munich ;).

notamermaid

For München: as I like "old stuff" I would go to the Alte Pinakothek. More art than fun. A more fun thing to do is perhaps visiting the Englischer Garten. Seeing that wikipedia states it as being "larger than New York's Central Park" an interesting place... I enjoyed it.

Of course, a short (or long) trip to a beer garden is a must in Munich ;).

notamermaid

We didn't make it to the Alte Pinakothek when we were there. Instead we chose the Glyptothek, nearby, because their exhibition of Greek and Roman sculpture was more appealing to us than the paintings. There are a bunch of museums in that area, so lots of choices. Pick whatever style of art you'd like and enjoy.

When we're in Munich later this month, we probably won't do much more than visit the Fruhlingsfest. Can't wait for that!

Back to the Danube, the rest of your post made me very hungry! Looking forward to trying all of those nice foods that you mentioned. :) Thanks for the tips! You always post such great information.

Hello JP and Robin and Got2Cruise,

must correct myself. In my earlier post I meant to say apricots, not peaches. the Austrian word is Marille, not Aprikose, by the way. Austrians have quite a few words that differ friom standard German in Germany.

Have a great cruise everyone.

notamermaid

here's an example VIKING longship in Budapest .... adjacent to the chain bridge

100_0130_zpssynirorc.jpg

100_0149_zpsenrwdnwq.jpg

depending on how many are in you may be a bit further down stream, we were on ATLA which was actually down by the next bridge (name I forget) just a short walk away. (to right in top picture)

Everything we read said Hungary would require Forint and so we got some from ATM immediately on arrival - we already had EUROs. Prices we were given everyplace we went in Budapest (we spent a few extra days pre-cruise) were given in Euro .... I guess we looked too American.

Great photographs Captain.

I too was on a Viking and I don't think they could get any closer to the Chain Bridge...

25632477713_c03067efc0_z.jpg

There are several threads all over the place. I have some generic questions I hope to find answers for. I'm sure others have questions about this itinerary also.

Do all the countries along the Danube use the Euro as currency?

In Budapest is there an area within walking distance of the river cruise docks to shop, walk, enjoy the scenery? We are arriving directly from our overnight flight. Want to make the best of our time before boarding ship but with low key activities.

Is the Chain Bridge located close to the docks?

What souvenirs did you purchase along the Danube?

Thanks for your replies. I hope others post additional questions.

The answer is very much YES to shops, restaurants, cafes and bars, all in walking distance. Just head away from the Chain Bridge no more than 10 - 15 minutes.

Edited by Solent Richard

Where did you find wool, I am also a knitter? Also interested in the table runners, where also bought, thanks.

Marlster