Princess Cruises cancelled my cruise promised me the world then changed it.

tinkky

Got a call from princess stating that they wanted my cabin

they offered me

1.money back

2. free 3 night cruise

3.on board credit of the total amount less taxes

4.amount towards airfare to get me home.( 150) and the flights cost me $215 each

I repeated the offer

I got a letter after asking for it which was a little different( just no on board credit)

called them they said no just the on board credit.no refund

I asked what if I decide to not do the cruise

well I loose everything and I have to decide NOW when in the next 12 mths that I want to use it.

why would I not go on a cruise I had already booked if i HAVE to find another cruise & pay for flights I didnt want to take . and if a 3 day cruise pay for flights to a place I dont want to go to.

are they idiots???

the point is

tape every call they make to you

they will not give u a copy of the tape.!!!

I also had an on board credit of $250 which is now missing from the pretend booking they have in place.

Edited by tinkky

they offered me

1.money back

2. free 3 night cruise

4.amount towards airfare to get me home.( 150) and the flights cost me $215 each

I repeated the offer

I got a letter after asking for it which was a little different( just no on board credit)

well I loose everything and I have to decide NOW when in the next 12 mths that I want to use it.

why would I not go on a cruise I had already booked if i HAVE to find anohter cruise & pay for flights i didnt want to take . and if a 3 day cruise pay for flights to a place I dont want to go to.

are they idiots???

the point is

Confirm the details of the offer in writing before you say yes or no.

Confirm the details of the offer in writing before you say yes or no.

This was clearly a last-minute move over offer, I am assuming made less than a week before the original cruise date. If the OP didn't say yes on the spot it would be given to the next name on the offer list.

There have been other posts of move over volunteers receiving everything the OP was originally quoted (100% refund, 100% refundable OBC for the rescheduled cruise, all air change fees) and I certainly would have said yes as well. I don't know what the consumer protection laws are in Australia but this sounds like quite a case for formal complaint.

This was clearly a last-minute move over offer, I am assuming made less than a week before the original cruise date. If the OP didn't say yes on the spot it would be given to the next name on the offer list.

There have been other posts of move over volunteers receiving everything the OP was originally quoted (100% refund, 100% refundable OBC for the rescheduled cruise, all air change fees) and I certainly would have said yes as well. I don't know what the consumer protection laws are in Australia but this sounds like quite a case for formal complaint.

You can always send an email with your acceptance.

yes the cruise was the next day

they told me they would send the offer in writing but they didnt so I called them late in the day and they finally sent it it clearly states full refund:)

but does not have the onboard credit on the letter.

I thought it was an oversight as he had been specific about the on board credit not including the taxes as they would be applied for the new cruise.

no one would interrupt a cruise for just anohter cruise wiht onboard credit when i already had a 250 one and have to pay some of my flights.:eek:

point is tape EVERY conversation with anyone offering you anything as they will not supply said conversation.

and YES I will take this to the Fair trading if I dont get everything he told me I would get.

Edited by tinkky

This is where I love, love, love my TA. When I received "the mother of all move-over" offers-- she negotiated out the deal for us. There was a lot of back and forth going on, and at one point had me on one line and the Princess rep on the other. I had the offer in writing within 10 minutes of making a conditional agreement.

In reality, we received everything promised, plus a surprise extra OBC and an extra meal in the Crown.

to their credit they got back to me very quickly

as I have the letter stating full refund they are doing that and the 3 days cruise and the airfare credit.

he listened to the call and said that it was ambiguous which it was

im not so worried about teh OBC as I couldnt possibly spend 598 in 3 days unless I was buying Dom Perignon every day.

so I decided to wind it up not worth the agrivation.

but anyway always TAPE TAPE TAPE.:D

This is where I love, love, love my TA. When I received "the mother of all move-over" offers-- she negotiated out the deal for us. There was a lot of back and forth going on, and at one point had me on one line and the Princess rep on the other. I had the offer in writing within 10 minutes of making a conditional agreement.

In reality, we received everything promised, plus a surprise extra OBC and an extra meal in the Crown.

How does your always pushing a TA help the OP get his issue solved. I don't use a TA because they always screw everything up and why have a middleman for something you can do better yourself.

OP, Glad it worked out for you. I can't tape a cell hone call so you have shown me to get an email before accepting any move over offer.

Edited by cruzsnooze

How does your always pushing a TA help the OP get his issue solved. I don't use a TA because they always screw everything up and why have a middleman for something you can do better yourself.

OP, Glad it worked out for you. I can't tape a cell hone call so you have shown me to get an email before accepting any move over offer.

Hmmm... I don't think I am pushing a TA. I am simply sharing my experience which included my TA. If controlling your booking works for you- then good on you. Having a TA works for me- so that is what I will share about.

You do you.

Edited by TracieABD

as I have the letter stating full refund they are doing that and the 3 days cruise and the airfare credit.

im not so worried about teh OBC as I couldnt possibly spend 598 in 3 days unless I was buying Dom Perignon every day.

I some states in the USA (Maryland being one) it's against the law to tape a phone conversation without having the other parties consent.

Glad they resolved (I think) to your satisfaction.

Happy Travels

they offered me

1.money back

2. free 3 night cruise

I repeated the offer

why would I not go on a cruise I had already booked if i HAVE to find another cruise & pay for flights I didnt want to take . and if a 3 day cruise pay for flights to a place I dont want to go to.

are they idiots???

the point is

I also had an on board credit of $250 which is now missing from the pretend booking they have in place.

Not good at all.

It is illegal to tape conversations unless you specifically state to caller that this conversation is being recorded. Unless you had notified the caller it would be difficult to submit as evidence. I would ask for immediate email.

they offered me

1.money back

2. free 3 night cruise

I repeated the offer

are they idiots???

the point is

I assume the cruise you had been scheduled for was a three day cruise. Princess would not offer a three-day cruise as a replacement for a longer one.

When these offers are made, they usually refund the cost of the original cruise as OBC and the replacement cruise is at no additional charge to you. And if the OBC is not used up when you take the replacement cruise, the unused portion is refunded to you.

And, yes, they do offer to pay a change fee for your airline tickets. If your airline ticket allowed no changes at any price, I would try to negotiate a bigger payment from Princess.

Of course you were under no obligation to take the move-over offer and could have taken the cruise you had originally booked. Princess did not cancel your cruise. They made an offer and you accepted it.

Exactly what happened to me in one situation.

When princess is desperate, they don't move on to the next

person as another poster suggested -- they keep increasing

the offer hoping that you will say yes.

Just like an overbooked flight, when they are trying to get

people to give up their seats and no one will.

When princess is calling you the day before the cruise, as the

original poster said, they are desperate.

Don't give up your seat for a bag of peanuts!

Edited by pablo222

Hmmm... I don't think I am pushing a TA. I am simply sharing my experience which included my TA. If controlling your booking works for you- then good on you. Having a TA works for me- so that is what I will share about.

You do you.

Travel agents deal with Move Over Offers all the time. They have far more experience with this compared to the average cruiser.

I do think a Travel Agent would have been firm about the offer and fought if they changed it. A TA fighting for you means a whole lot more then a cruiser. They want to keep my TA happy who does millions with them as opposed to the average cruiser who does thousands with them per year.

I think having a TA would have prevented this situation from happening. Glad that it worked out for the OP.

-------

Cruzsnooze - As far as pushing for use of a TA, you consistently push for not using one. I don't see the difference. In this case, I think having one would have eliminated the situation.

Edited by Coral

Travel agents deal with Move Over Offers all the time. They have far more experience with this compared to the average cruiser.

I do think a Travel Agent would have been firm about the offer and fought if they changed it. A TA fighting for you means a whole lot more then a cruiser. They want to keep my TA happy who does millions with them as opposed to the average cruiser who does thousands with them per year.

I think having a TA would have prevented this situation from happening. Glad that it worked out for the OP.

-------

Cruzsnooze - As far as pushing for use of a TA, you consistently push for not using one. I don't see the difference. In this case, I think having one would have eliminated the situation.

Coral and others who seem to answer most questions thoughtfully.

Do you think when making these offers the cruise wants your particular cabin?

I hope I fall into the thoughtful category...

I think they want your cabin type. When we received our move over on the Sapphire (out of Singapore), we were told they needed balcony cabins. They had first approached the people who were local- those in Singapore, then the people in the Asian countries, then Australia/ Russia, then US/ Canada. By the time they got to us, desparation had set in and we received a very nice package from Princess.

They were very specific about wanting 6 balcony cabins for that sailing.

I hope this helps.

Typically they need a cabin in that category and you are next on the list to make an offer to. If you don't take it they move on to someone else or switch to a higher category. People who live near the ports take these offers all the time.

It varies but I think it is rare that it is a specific cabin. I have had move-over offers on probably 1/3 of my cruises. They either want a specific type of cabin (balconies) or anyone.....

In my move-over offers, mostly they are targeting types of cabins. One one cruise - I had a balcony and my friend had an outside cabin. I was offered the move over offer and he wasn't. My TA called to see if he could get the move-over offer and was told they oversold balcony cabins, so the answer was no.

On another - they were oversold on insides on a Thanksgiving cruise. We were offered a move over to an outside cabin the next week and I declined (trying to get air would have been a nightmare). At the pier, we were upgraded to an outside cabin.

On another cruise, it was way undersold and then all of a sudden it booked up quickly, overnight actually. I had an inside cabin and was doing a B2B in May in Alaska. I was offered a move over offer and they were willing to do whatever to move my B2B to another week or another ship (free cruise with all my money back). I turned it down. Once on the ship, I found out that at the last minute, they booked 1/3 of the ship to an Asian group. This group brought their own translators, organized their own tours, etc... In this case - they wanted anyone to move to accommodate this large group that filled a ship (actually oversold the ship) that Princess was having a difficult time filling.

Edited by Coral

Tinkly,

We once got a last minute, move-over offer and to me there were bits of it that were ambiguous and could be interpreted differently

We did not accept it, but thanks for your suggestion to get it in writing

I some states in the USA (Maryland being one) it's against the law to tape a phone conversation without having the other parties consent.

Glad they resolved (I think) to your satisfaction.

Happy Travels

You can record anyone on any call if you are using it to have an accurate personal record of what was said.

It is only if you are looking to bring it to court where it can become an issue.