Would you prefer delayed boarding so cabins are ready?

MustangGT

For those whose cabins weren't ready, but were able to drop off your carry-on(s), were you concerned about your jewelry, etc in your carry on?

We locked most of our valuables in our cabin's safe & only carried a few small items with us.

I feel the room stewards are being over stretched. We had a bit of an odd steward on our November cruise on the Grand in November. As we were approaching our cabin on embarkation, we saw a steward flying down the hallway. He muttered something but we couldn't understand as his back was to us.

We entered our window suite and it was only partially cleaned. Not really a problem because we only wanted to drop off our carry-ons anyway. A different steward introduced himself to us later in the afternoon and said something about his replacing the steward that was there earlier. I think he was explaining that the other steward had just finished his contract and left. For the rest of the week, eventhough we were out of our cabin by 8, our cabin was never cleaned until late afternoon. Again he was always murmuring something about having two decks to work on, always apologizing. We rarely saw him in our hall.

Maybe it was just a one-time out situation and they were shorthanded that particular cruise. Maybe there was a change over in contracts that very week creating a crew shortage. It wasn't enough an issue for us to take issue or complain. We actually felt sorry for the guy and made many efforts to not cause extra work for him.

I don't know why people think only Princess allows early access to their cabins. We've never waited to access our cabins when cruising with HAL and they, too, use it as a selling point. Another cruise line that we have used will pull resources from other areas of the ship to help the room stewards finish up on embarkation days.

Our cruising friends boarded the Royal Princess today for 20 days, we will join them on the second 10-day segment. Can't wait!!

They let us know that cabins were not ready when they boarded today.

There have been several mentions of this on CC and I just wonder -

Would you prefer that Princess delayed boarding until all cabins are ready?

I have always loved that when I boarded a Princess ship, cabins were ready and we could head there right away.

Some have said it's no big deal because you can drop off your carry-ons and go on about the rest of your day. Others have said that doors are closed and cabins are not accessible.

Thoughts?

When we boarded the Royal in February around 12:30 the cabin was ready. We were on four b2b's, and noticed in our section, deck 11 port, that all the cabins were ready right around noon. The fire doors were never closed.

To answer your question directly, no. The ship needs to be staffed to have cabins ready. First impressions mean a lot when selling a cruise vacation. Passengers that arrive by air on the day of embarkation have no comfortable place to hang out if boarding is delayed. Passengers that are checking out of hotels usually have to be out by noon, so where do they spend their time when boarding is delayed? They wind up sitting or standing around the terminal. Not a good message to send to customers.

Same here...until recently on both the Royal and Regal. You cannot go to your cabin during the earlier boarding times. That's okay though, find a nice place to sit and have a drink or lunch. The wait is short.

No, the policy is fine as it is.

On the Royal British Isles/TA last fall we were able to drop our carry ons off in our cabin, but we couldn't stay and start to unpack. That was fine with us--we were headed to the dining room for lunch. We're Elite, and that was the first time our cabin was not ready at boarding, and I think most of the reports I've read concern the Royal/Regal. It's not a big deal if we can drop our carry ons off in the cabin.

Edited by FritzG

In Nov. we went on a Cruise with RCI and were reminded of the 1pm rule, it was out of Venice so a lot of early arrivals, and yes the doors were locked.

On our last cruise late Feb-Mar, MR on the Crown.

We were given a 1/2 sheet of paper at check in that stated our rooms would not be ready until 1pm.

Prior to this cruise I had read on CC about this change on some ships, so it played into my actions.

We boarded with one of the first groups around 11:30, once on the ship we were asked by 2 different staff members where our cabin was, but following the notice we received we sat by the IC got drink stickers, had a drink and waited for the dining room to open keeping our carry on with us. When we entered the dining room we were the only ones with our carry-on, evidently the cabins were opened, should have asked the staff when they addressed us about our cabin location.

We have had Aft cabins that have not been ready when we have boarded Princess in SP the last few years or so...no locked doors like RCI but just totally not ready...I personally would not leave any items that I value in a cabin that is still being cleaned. I trust the staff, it is the guests that I question:rolleyes:

This was the first time we had ever arrived in San Pedro so early usually we board around 1pm.

BTW we had the best room attendants ever, with Princess on the Crown in Feb and March.

Edited by land lover

I totally agree with you. In 28 cruises with Princess we never had to wait. We board early all the time. The last two cruises we were on the Royal Princess and everything was great. No wait at all.

Tony

Our experience too......rather be on the ship then a holding area.....:cool:

We locked most of our valuables in our cabin's safe & only carried a few small items with us.

Glad to hear you didn't just drop your carry-on on the bed, or desk, and left, leaving everything in your bag. I'm just looking ahead, just in case on some upcoming cruise I run into that situation.

Based on previous discussions it appears to be more common on the Royal & Regal.

Last April embarking the Regal in FLL we received the delayed cabin notice but were allowed to drop off our carryon bags. We embarked on the Royal from Venice in 2013 & received the 1:00 delayed cabin notice despite arriving at 2:00.

Boy reading how this has never happened in 10 or 20 or more cruises is amazing when I am 0 for 1 but it was on the Regal . The corridors were closed so we couldn't drop off our carry-ons . We brought them to Alfredo's and had a great meal . After lunch we were able to drop them off .

I am not complaining . I'd always prefer not being able to drop off luggage to not being able to board . Every time !

Boy reading how this has never happened in 10 or 20 or more cruises is amazing when I am 0 for 1 but it was on the Regal . The corridors were closed so we couldn't drop off our carry-ons . We brought them to Alfredo's and had a great meal . After lunch we were able to drop them off .

I am not complaining . I'd always prefer not being able to drop off luggage to not being able to board . Every time !

I have read this about the Regal. I suspect the issue is/was with the Hotel Manger and not Princess in general.

I have read this about the Regal. I suspect the issue is/was with the Hotel Manger and not Princess in general.

Hopefully that's the issue & it will not become the standard procedure fleetwide. Another factor could be a lack of sufficient personnel on Royal-class ships.

During 31 cruises on various Princess ships we never had our cabins unavailable when boarding at about noon. For our 3 cruises on the Royal & Regal it's happened 2 times so my experiences shows a trend to me.

As long as we can drop off our carryon bags & use the safe for valuables it's not a big issue for me. I've sailed RCCL who locks the hallway doors which results in the crowded buffet being even worse with everyone's carryon bags. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I feel the room stewards are being over stretched. We had a bit of an odd steward on our November cruise on the Grand in November. As we were approaching our cabin on embarkation, we saw a steward flying down the hallway. He muttered something but we couldn't understand as his back was to us.

We entered our window suite and it was only partially cleaned. Not really a problem because we only wanted to drop off our carry-ons anyway. A different steward introduced himself to us later in the afternoon and said something about his replacing the steward that was there earlier. I think he was explaining that the other steward had just finished his contract and left. For the rest of the week, eventhough we were out of our cabin by 8, our cabin was never cleaned until late afternoon. Again he was always murmuring something about having two decks to work on, always apologizing. We rarely saw him in our hall.

Maybe it was just a one-time out situation and they were shorthanded that particular cruise. Maybe there was a change over in contracts that very week creating a crew shortage. It wasn't enough an issue for us to take issue or complain. We actually felt sorry for the guy and made many efforts to not cause extra work for him.

I don't know why people think only Princess allows early access to their cabins. We've never waited to access our cabins when cruising with HAL and they, too, use it as a selling point. Another cruise line that we have used will pull resources from other areas of the ship to help the room stewards finish up on embarkation days.

The stewards who take care of the window suites also have cabins on the Plaza deck, as there are only 7 window suites. We had an excellent steward on the CB in January, I think he usually took care of the window suites first, unless do not disturb signs were up. I think there was only one day that our room was not made up by 10am.

They let us know that cabins were not ready when they boarded today.

There have been several mentions of this on CC and I just wonder -

Would you prefer that Princess delayed boarding until all cabins are ready?

Thoughts?

No need for Princess to delay boarding until cabins are all ready.

You can just show up later and have your self-imposed delayed boarding.

I have had the delayed readiness on the Royal at Fort Lauderdale and also on the Emerald out of Houston.

My guess is that cabin stewards have been given even more cabins to attend to and cannot possibly get them all ready by noon.

Nope, I just wanna get on the ship! Sure I'd much rather head straight for the cabin, but if I can't, I'd at least rather be aboard having my first strawberry Daquiri and burger by the pool!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep gets my vote:cool:

I have had the delayed readiness on the Royal at Fort Lauderdale and also on the Emerald out of Houston.

My guess is that cabin stewards have been given even more cabins to attend to and cannot possibly get them all ready by noon.

I just think Princess is trying to cut back on there help. They must have cut the staff ( Cabin Stewards ) Is there any one that think otherwise? If it's the hotel manager then why is it happening on other Princess ships???

Tony