Why purchase Drink Package if.....

Notquite50

The spreadsheet made sense for me. A couple of coffees. A couple of bottles of water (cannot drink the free desal water). A cocktail or two. Wine with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It really is a no brainer for us. Coffee in the morning, a specialty coffee at lunch, bottled water (the large ones) we take and drink them in our cabin, a cocktail or two after lunch, pre-dinner cocktails... Also freshly squeezed orange juice, etc. I figure without the package we'd spend between$60 and $80 a day, and that's without drinking a lot...

Agree!

Do you happen to know what the charge was for 3 scoops of gelato using the coffee card? It once was 3 scoops for 1 punch.

Has it changed?

It is still 3 "scoops" for 1 punch on the coffee card. I believe it is $3.50 otherwise but we used the card for ours so I'm not 100% sure.

"Scoops" in quotes because the scoops are quite small when you think of a normal scoop of ice cream. I would say that you get a good portion (probably pay double that price at Baskin Robbins) but I was expecting much more until I saw what size scoop they actually serve.

I'm sure I could easily "get my money's worth" but, for my wife, it would be a total waste of cash. I don't buy it even for myself as I can get by just fine on fewer drinks. When we cruised the Panama Canal last fall it would have cost $1,915.90 for the two of us to purchase the package. I simply refuse to commit that much money to drinks.

Even for our 7 day southbound this coming June following our Alaska land tour it would cost $788.90 for the package. We won't spend anywhere near that amount on drinks.

Like I said in the beginning, I could easily go through enough drinks of various kinds to pay for my portion of the package but, without the package, I will simply drink less. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Perhaps I will change my mind at some point in the future but, for now, I don't consider the AIBP to be something I need.

As is evidenced in this thread and the many others that get opened on the same subject, whether or not to get the AIBP is purely a personal decision. For some it makes absolutely no sense and for others it's a no-brainer. And it could depend on the cruise.

One just needs to be clear on what is included and what isn't (very little) so an informed decision can be made. And know that not every adult in the same cabin needs to purchase it unlike some other cruise lines.

Edited by Nezmo

We got the package included as a promotion when we booked our upcoming Alaska cruise. Now, having the package, I'm sure we'll order enough specialty coffees, fresh squeezed OJ, etc, to "come out ahead". But the real comparison should be to our normal behavior, which would be fewer glasses of fresh squeezed OJ, fewer coffees, bring on more of our own wine. Will the package be fun & convenient? You bet! But only adding the cost of what we order when it's free isn't the right comparison- it's comparing to what we'd normally do that will show if it's really a good deal. That way, you may see that you're only paying a small amount extra for convenience and more overall.

We definitely want to just enjoy ourselves and not nickel and dime decisions we make while on board - so if a drink package is a better decision please let me know. Thanks in advance!

You're thinking is not unsound. The AIBP is merely a great convenience, (but unless you have deep pockets AND are quite at home quaffing 5-7 drinks daily), not a great value. Pay as you go. Your pocketbook and liver will thank you.

Why would someone purchase a drink package if instead money can be placed in an OBC account. Am I missing something??? Maybe I don't understand, but from reading the posts here on CC, I am under the impression that I can gift myself OBC and then use that money for the spa, alcoholic drinks, soda, water, etc. and then whatever I don't use will be refunded to me.

Am I right? Because I've been trying to justify the cost of the drink package and from my calculations we need to drink about 7 drinks a day ( YIKES! Will I even remember the cruise:D) not to mention the days we are off the boat not drinking anything until the evening. We definitely want to just enjoy ourselves and not nickel and dime decisions we make while on board - so if a drink package is a better decision please let me know. Thanks in advance!

I always buy the soda package.

Why?

Because it costs be about the price of three or four Diet Cokes a day, and I drink way more than three or four diet cokes a day, toss in a mocktail every few days and a shake or two each week, and I save so much money it isn't funny.

The same will apply if you drink enough on the AIBP, remember it includes sodas etc too.

Another factor for non US customers to consider is the exchange rate offered on the website. We had a great rate for our round UK cruise last summer which brought the price down for the package by about 10%. Added to the fact that we both like a 'drink or two':D, meant we got nearly double the value from it (and missed getting the fresh squeezed OJ and gelato as well).

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I can see how this is a personal choice and I appreciate everyone's response. My problem is I go round and round about the cost of the package and if we will drink enough to make it worth while, and then I wonder why it wouldn't be advantageous to place the same amount of money on an OBC. If this was done - and you didn't drink 56.00 per day - then theoretically you would get the money back. Right? and if I am right - why would't everyone do this. Is it just because it is easier to get the package? And honestly -if this is the reason I am completely ok with this but I just keep getting the feeling I am missing something. Thanks for putting up with this new Princess Cruiser.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I can see how this is a personal choice and I appreciate everyone's response. My problem is I go round and round about the cost of the package and if we will drink enough to make it worth while, and then I wonder why it wouldn't be advantageous to place the same amount of money on an OBC. If this was done - and you didn't drink 56.00 per day - then theoretically you would get the money back. Right? and if I am right - why would't everyone do this. Is it just because it is easier to get the package? And honestly -if this is the reason I am completely ok with this but I just keep getting the feeling I am missing something. Thanks for putting up with this new Princess Cruiser.

Because you aren't limited to $56 a day of drinks.

Now I get the soda package, costs me about $8 a day I drink about $30 a day if diet coke.

Now let's look at the AIBP...

Coffee at cafe $3

Beer in morning $8

Coffee at morning tea $3

2 Glass of wine with lunch $16

Afternoon cocktail $14

Bottle of water $3

2wines with diner $16

Cocktail watching show $14

Specialty tea before bed $3

Bottle if water for beside bed overnight $3

That's $80 alone, not drinking heavy not including a few sodas, being a bit conservative on a few prices.

Now I get the soda package, costs me about $8 a day I drink about $30 a day if diet coke.

Coffee at cafe $3

Beer in morning $8

Coffee at morning tea $3

Afternoon cocktail $14

Bottle of water $3

2wines with diner $16

That's $80 alone, not drinking heavy not including a few sodas, being a bit conservative on a few prices.

We always get the drink package, we do not drink nearly as heavily as what you've suggested, and I think we at least break even.

Look at this alternative to yours, which is much easier on the liver;):

2 coffees at cafe $6

Fresh squeezed OJ $3

Bottle of water to take on excursion $3

1 Glass of wine with lunch $8

Afternoon coffee $3

2 bottles of soda $5

Pre-dinner cocktail $14

1 glass of wine with diner $8

Bottle of water for beside bed overnight $3

That's $70. Without the lunch wine, you're still at $62 and way ahead. ;)We drink lots of cappuccinos, lots of water (we'll each drink 2 on an excursion that involves much walking), and not an inordinate amount of alcohol. I think what lots of people overlook is the cost of sodas, waters, and coffees. You don't have to be a big alcohol drinker to make this package at least a break even proposition. :cool:If you're a teetotaler or you're satisfied with tap water and the standard coffees and teas, you should not get it. Otherwise you might want to run the numbers on what you're actually going to get.

Coffee at cafe $3

Beer in morning $8

Coffee at morning tea $3

Afternoon cocktail $14

Bottle of water $3

2wines with diner $16

Your $14 cocktails will not fit within the AIBP - need to be $10 or less per drink - that will work for 90% of all drinks on Princes

Your $14 cocktails will not fit within the AIBP - need to be $10 or less per drink - that will work for 90% of all drinks on Princes

Good catch. But it doesn't actually affect the numbers that much. A $10 cocktail will actually cost $12, with the mandatory gratuity, for anyone without the package.

GUT2407 was mapping out his drinking day in $AUS where drink prices are higher as I believe they build in rather than add on the 15% gratuity:

All-Inclusive Beverage Package terms differ on Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess, or Diamond, Emerald and Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand. Package only available on voyages 8 nights and longer. Price is $59 (AUD Australia dollars). Limited to individual beverages up to $14 AUD each. Package does not include souvenir items, mini-bar items, in-room service or vending machine items. Terms and conditions may apply.