Disappointed in RC so we cancelled and booked Carnival

Oh sorry she's a TA and told us X/RC won't sell to us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then why didn't she tell you this when you booked (since she would know about your situation and family concerns) and why didn't you book this cruise through her :confused:

Oh sorry she's a TA and told us X/RC won't sell to us

If she is a TA, and she knows you both have pre-existing conditions, she should know that the cruise lines insurance are not a good choice for you. She should also be able to recommend another third party company that will meet your needs.

Our conditions don't affect us that we would need a hospital it's more for the fact if one of my family dies, or hers or get injured and my DW feels more comfortable dealing with the cruise line and if she has questions she can talk to her sister

If you are really worried that someone is going to die than you should probably stay put.

I would be very hesitant to insure people like this because of the potential high risk of filing a claim...

We book with a North American large Auto insurance company for the whole year so we can travel without worry. They have a Canadian branch.

You pay extra for special medical conditions listed on their application.

OP has an identical thread running on the Carnival board.

I don't know - it just sounds like he received some information and made a quick decision to cancel RCI. It sounds like he thinks his wife thinks it will all be "easier" with Carnival.

Happy wife, happy life.... :)

We called RC to add insurance, nope because your a Canadian citizen you can't get it through us, I know it doesn't matter that you can't get cruise insurance through the line but it matters to us because we both have medical problems and can't afford the insurance to put up front and Carnival and RC Personal Vacation Planner RC you just call a call centre and Carnival you speaked to the same person all the time. So my DW says no more RC.

There are lots of Canadian Medical Insurance companies - banks often have good plans, plus Blue Cross, general insurance companies and so on. You don't have to purchase it the day you book. I usually don't buy until close to final payment - until then you can cancel penalty free anyway.

Even if you buy it through the cruise line you would be insured by an outside insurance agency. I really don't understand what the issue is. You could have just bought the insurance through a third party which would most likely be cheaper than through the cruise line.

Even if you buy it through the cruise line you would be insured by an outside insurance agency. I really don't understand what the issue is. You could have just bought the insurance through a third party which would most likely be cheaper than through the cruise line.

I think - not 100% positive - they were wanting to go through the cruiseline because they believe it could be paid for a bit at a time through the cruiseline. I was always under the impression that you paid for the insurance when you took it - but I could be wrong about that also as I always use a non-cruiseline company (for MUCH less than the cruiseline's offering).

We called RC to add insurance, nope because your a Canadian citizen you can't get it through us, I know it doesn't matter that you can't get cruise insurance through the line but it matters to us because we both have medical problems and can't afford the insurance to put up front and Carnival and RC Personal Vacation Planner RC you just call a call centre and Carnival you speaked to the same person all the time. So my DW says no more RC.

What did you cancel and what did you book?

I think - not 100% positive - they were wanting to go through the cruiseline because they believe it could be paid for a bit at a time through the cruiseline. I was always under the impression that you paid for the insurance when you took it - but I could be wrong about that also as I always use a non-cruiseline company (for MUCH less than the cruiseline's offering).

Oh okay, maybe.

I think you're correct, I'm pretty sure the one time I bought insurance through the cruise line I paid when I booked it.

Am I the only one that's getting a bit :confused: by this thread at this point?

No.

OP has an identical thread running on the Carnival board.

I don't know - it just sounds like he received some information and made a quick decision to cancel RCI. It sounds like he thinks his wife thinks it will all be "easier" with Carnival.

Happy wife, happy life.... :)

Except at 6:23pm on this board they booked Carnival and at 6:48pm they were asking for recommendations over on the Carnival board.

We had a cruise booked with RC and you can't get insurance if your a Canadian citizen, so we cancelled it and are booking Carnival where were treated like a somebody and if you have a CVP same as a PVP you don't talk to the same person like Carnival, so this will be our 4th Carnival cruise any recommendations, we've been on Conquest, Breeze and Valor

Our conditions don't affect us that we would need a hospital it's more for the fact if one of my family dies, or hers or get injured and my DW feels more comfortable dealing with the cruise line and if she has questions she can talk to her sister

I'm a little confused as to what type of insurance coverage it is that you are actually looking for: medical coverage whilst travelling or trip interruption/cancellation insurance or both?

In an earlier post, you stated that you were employed. If you have extended health care benefits with your employer, have you checked with your employer to see what type of coverage is available to you while travelling? With my employer, I have medical coverage while I am away from my home jurisdiction and possibly trip interruption coverage (I would have to dig out my policies to confirm this latter coverage).

In any event, like many have stated before me, insurance companies aren't readily accepting of insuring pre-existing conditions but that is not to say that it is not prudent to purchase medical insurance. Many other medical mishaps can happen that aren't related to a pre-existing condition i.e. slip and fall, broken bones, etc.

As has been previously stated, there are many Canadian insurers who market both medical and/or trip interruption coverage. A review of what's available for you to purchase might be a wise move before booking and/or scheduling any travel.

A few words of caution:

1. Don't forget to read the small print contained in any of the policies to ensure it adequately meets your insurance needs before purchasing; and

2. Don't leave ANYTHING out of your medical history when applying for coverage. It's a pitfall for you and a boon for the insurance company to deny you coverage should an accident happen and you advance a claim. There have been many documentaries (Marketplace, W5, etc.) on the medical travel and trip interruption/cancellation insurance and the nightmares that insurance companies often create for claimants.

Edited by Tinkerbellcgy

According to the Carnival thread, the OP put down a $2000 (CDN) deposit. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that still high even in Canada? Maybe some of that could have bought insurance?

Not sure if this was already mentioned but I am Canadian and as long as you book in US dollars you can buy Royals insurance. We do because of the cancel for any reason coverage. We have a family member with a pre-existing medical condition which has very restrictive coverage conditions in all of the travel insurance that we have looked at. At least with Royals insurance we will get back 75 percent of what we have paid.

I'm just curious. I haven't purchased insurance for my cruises in several years. Hopefully that won't come back to haunt me. Back when I did, pre-existing illnesses were covered if they had been under control for at least 60 days. Maybe it was 6 months, it's been a while. That meant if you hadn't had an episode where you had to go for treatment you'd be covered. I guess if you had a claim your doctor would have to say in writing that it was under control for the required period.

Does it still work that way?

I have a feeling OP never checked into anything but just jumped ship.

I'm just curious. I haven't purchased insurance for my cruises in several years. Hopefully that won't come back to haunt me. Back when I did, pre-existing illnesses were covered if they had been under control for at least 60 days. Maybe it was 6 months, it's been a while. That meant if you hadn't had an episode where you had to go for treatment you'd be covered. I guess if you had a claim your doctor would have to say in writing that it was under control for the required period.

Yes, the policies we use cover pre-exisiting conditions if we purchase the insurance within some certain number of days of when we first put a deposit on the trip.

Regarding coverage for pre-existing conditions, the Lookback Period varies by policy (typically 60, 90, or 180 days). As an example, Travel Guard Gold (our choice) has a 180 day Lookback Period, while their Platinum policy has a 90 day Lookback Period. Both policies require purchase within 15 days of making your initial trip deposit.

Also, when purchasing insurance through the cruiseline (e.g. Royal Caribbean Travel Protection) guests should be aware that coverage begins when the (insurance) policy is paid in full:

When Coverage Begins

All coverages will take effect on the later of: 1) the date the plan

payment has been received by Royal Caribbean International; 2)

the date and time you start your Covered Cruise Vacation; or 3)

12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your

Covered Cruise Vacation.