Cruising Caribbean in Jan

It would be nice to know your entire itinerary.

January can be perfectly nice with warm weather and that includes Fort Lauderdale.

Could also be cool.

Could also by cool with rain and Warm with Rain.

I have sailed it in January for the past several years and have experience all of these either on one cruise or from cruise to cruise.

November will likely be warmer but one time for us it was not. You just never know.

But it still can rain.

I would go with the cruise that works best for your schedule. I see you live in Canada and think that January has the plus of being away for a portion of the cold weather you would have.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Weather in the Caribbean does not vary much throughout the year. Sunny and warm with showers. However, Princess Cays is in the Bahamas. It will not be as warm, being further north. Water will be cooler also. But if you are used to swimming in Canada in the summer, it will seem plenty warm. EM

January is a great time to cruise and the weather is very nice in the Caribbean. As previously posted the weather in the Caribbean does not vary much throughout the year. Departing from Florida is very warm then as well. Done many December through March Caribbean cruises and the weather was terrific in our experience.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In terms of expectations you just never can be 100% sure.

On our January cruise this year weather was cooler then normal and rain in a couple of ports and same true for Fort Lauderdale. Similarly in early January 2010 a cold front hit Florida and the Caribbean. On the other hand when we were there in January of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 weather was perfect.

Weather can change and that can happen in the Caribbean too. Not for a long time but if it is the days you are there then that's all that matters.

Keith

January is a great time to cruise and the weather is very nice in the Caribbean. As previously posted the weather in the Caribbean does not vary much throughout the year. Departing from Florida is very warm then as well. Done many December through March Caribbean cruises and the weather was terrific in our experience.

You obviously don't live in Florida. December and January are our coldest months of the year. That doesn't mean that it won't ever be warm, because it can be beautiful, but it can also be in the 50s, windy, and raining. I would just check the weather before you go, and it's never a bad idea to bring a sweatshirt along. The Bahamas are almost directly east of Ft Lauderdale/Miami, and not very far, so the weather will be similar. The water will be cool, even if the temps are in the 70s and 80s.

You obviously don't live in Florida. December and January are our coldest months of the year. That doesn't mean that it won't ever be warm, because it can be beautiful, but it can also be in the 50s, windy, and raining. I would just check the weather before you go, and it's never a bad idea to bring a sweatshirt along. The Bahamas are almost directly east of Ft Lauderdale/Miami, and not very far, so the weather will be similar. The water will be cool, even if the temps are in the 70s and 80s.

Okay, Kim, being from Orlando and, me, from Boca Raton, January-February are the coldest for us. We get into the 40-50 range at night, and 60-70 range during the day. In March, it is the start of Summer!

I do agree that the Bahamas will not be hot, but get down to like San Juan, and you will have temps like we have now, in May, mid 80s at least. We've been broiling here through April! Oh boy, can't wait for June-August when my pool becomes a hot tub!

We were on that ship this past January. OUr stop at the Cay was canx because the sea was too rough for us to tender. Spent an other day at sea. Staff said that happens about 30-40% of the time.

We have Royal Princess booked for Jan going out of Fort Lauderdale and the 1st port is Princess Cay. Can anyone tell me if its too cold for this time to cruise. Should I change it to Nov.

Cheers

Princess Cay is in the Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean Sea. The weather in January or in November can be beautiful, or it can be down right chilly, just like in South Florida. There is really no way to predict. If that stop is important you should go there between late April and mid-October.

Princess Cays is in the Atlantic...part of the Bahamas....it's not in the actual Caribbean. Once you get into the Caribbean, it's warm year round. The Bahama's have about the same weather as Florida.

Per above ... it could very well be chilly at Princess Cays. Happily, once into the Caribbean for your other port stops, it will be QUITE warm. :)