All Things Avalon

FuelScience

They are doing everything they can there. Thats how it is in a lot of places. Highest outbreak in Asia, so it’s good Delta and other travel outfits like Globus have suspended travel. But the rest of the world? Really hard to control the spread. It can still come to your neighborhood so it doesn’t matter what you do stay home or go you’ll still have a chance to get it eventually. Only bad if you have a weak immune system. Isn’t fatal to most people. There still only 80,000 cases worldwide out of 7 billion +. And don’t bother wearing masks, they are useless. You would need a ventilator to stop it.

With the latest figures from Italy and other countries one wonders where to and how much it spreads. Better than face masks is probably not hugging your friend on arrival at the airport... As one man in a Deutsche Welle report said - only half jokingly - the problem with the disease now in Italy is that it is still sort of rude to not embrace. Face masks are not as good as washing your hands well, but what they do is keep you from touching your face much.

I wonder what is happening to the Crystal Mozart and her use for Chinese market sailings. What about the Viking ships sailings for the Chinese? How far should measures go?

For now, suspending the Schengen agreement has been ruled out. For once the British with their border controls have an advantage over us continentals with that. 

notamermaid

*****Another update from Avalon Facebook page******

"FEBRUARY 28, 2020:
Avalon Waterways Travel Policy for Upcoming & Future Travel
With the uncertainty felt among many travellers over the effects of the spread of Coronavirus, Avalon Waterways is responding with a policy to enable our travellers and their travel advisors to adjust travel plans and help alleviate immediate concerns.
At this time, all of our itineraries are operating as scheduled with the exception of mainland China. For all other destinations, we are introducing a temporary policy update for 2020 travel, as follows, until further notice:
• For travellers with existing bookings and for new bookings, deposits on future Avalon Waterways vacations can be moved to any other brand (Globus, Cosmos, Monograms or Avalon Waterways), destination or itinerary in 2020 or 2021 without penalty* prior to final payment.
• Additionally, Avalon Waterways is temporarily waiving cancellation penalties** until 30 days prior to departure.
This updated travel policy comes on the heels of a policy that restricts travellers who have recently visited or transited through China from joining a tour or cruise. Those details can be found on the link below.
With the safety, security and peace-of-mind of our travellers as our primary goal, we believe in giving them more time and flexibility with their travel decisions. Traveling the world is a joyful experience and we want to do our part to keep the anticipation stress-free.
Visit our travel update page for details: https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/avalon-assurance/
For questions or booking-related inquiries, contact 866.962.9852 in Canada.
*/** some restrictions apply – Click the web link for details and further updates"

By the looks of this, they are allowing you to transfer your river cruise to a bus tour if you wish, at no penalty, as well as waiving the cancellation penalties.  Not sure how long this is on for, but at least they are making an effort to accommodate their guests.

Rhine River Northbound - 

From those of you who have done this cruise - i can't figure out from the itinerary when we go from Koblenz to Cologne?  It states overnight docking in Koblenz on day 5, but then on day 6 just states that we are in Cologne, with an afternoon/overnight cruise to Amsterdam.  When does the boat move to Cologne?  Our walking tour in Cologne supposedly begins at 0830.  Puzzling.  

I would greatly appreciate any explanation!  Thanks!  

21 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

Rhine River Northbound - 

From those of you who have done this cruise - i can't figure out from the itinerary when we go from Koblenz to Cologne?  It states overnight docking in Koblenz on day 5, but then on day 6 just states that we are in Cologne, with an afternoon/overnight cruise to Amsterdam.  When does the boat move to Cologne?  Our walking tour in Cologne supposedly begins at 0830.  Puzzling.  

I would greatly appreciate any explanation!  Thanks!  

I haven’t done that particular itinerary but we’ve done Avalon both ways through there had an overnight in Cologne both ways. Yours, however,  sounds like just a day stop in Cologne.  Early arrival. City tour.  A bit of free time then sail to Amsterdam? 

I’m on the southbound and we don’t get there until the afternoon so the tours on mine don’t leave till 230ish so maybe you leave from koblenz in the morning and don’t get there till 2 ish? They have a band come on board at night in cologne so you’ll be docked in cologne at least till 10 thirtyish

17 minutes ago, gg_galaxy2002 said:

I’m on the southbound and we don’t get there until the afternoon so the tours on mine don’t leave till 230ish so maybe you leave from koblenz in the morning and don’t get there till 2 ish? They have a band come on board at night in cologne so you’ll be docked in cologne at least till 10 thirtyish

My walking tour is scheduled for 0830.  I don't know how long it takes going that direction, or how long they plan.  My only guess is that we must leave very early morning.  I wish they would state that in the itinerary.  

Koblenz to Cologne is just under 100 kilometres on the water, so going downstream it is very manageable for a river cruise ship overnight. Anyway, hope you have a great cruise and can sail into Cologne when you are already awake.  Should look great.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

58 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Koblenz to Cologne is just under 100 kilometres on the water, so going downstream it is very manageable for a river cruise ship overnight. Anyway, hope you have a great cruise and can sail into Cologne when you are already awake.  Should look great.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

Um, the issue is that it states that we are docked in Koblenz overnight.  Soooooo does that mean they may sail in the very early morning hours?  And it only takes a few hours?  Or that the 0830 tour gets moved back?  

9 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

Um, the issue is that it states that we are docked in Koblenz overnight.  Soooooo does that mean they may sail in the very early morning hours?  And it only takes a few hours?  Or that the 0830 tour gets moved back?  

Oh, yeah, that sounds too tight, sorry slight understand on my part. Overnight I would put as after four in the morning. Hmm, cannot speak for the company, of course and you have the dailies. I have another idea. Look up your ship on here, just go by date, download the plan for Koblenz 2020: https://www.koblenz-touristik.de/service/belegungsplaene-hafen.html 

It is the schedule for dockings on the Moselle in Koblenz, giving you both the time of arrival and departure.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

16 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

You could sail from Koblenz in the wee hours and still make Cologne by 0830. 
. Hard schedule times are not always posted far in advance and everything is subject to change anyway due to lockings and river conditions. 
itineraries are fluid on river cruises. Just go with the flow. 

There is a way to find out at least what the boats are doing on your tour if you want to work at a little.  Find your tour that is active now, note the name of the boat.  Go to cruisemapper.com click on river cruises and enter the boats name.  Then you can track it as often as you wish.  You can even click on the ports and see the schedule boats in and out.

so would take some effort but the data is there.

hmcrn, if you are taking the Avalon walking tour of Cologne, you have no worries, they will get you there well before the tour.  If there are any problems, they will probably let you know the night before at least.  Overnight docking doesn't always mean totally overnight, you may leave at 3:00 in the morning.  I know there was one time we left our docking around 4:00 - the only way I knew was because I was up and looking out the window to see us starting to move!

We are on the April 4 Tulip Time (beer cruise) and leaving March 30 for Brussels I’m not a nervous type (except for missing flights) However, this part of the Avalon Waterways Facebook post got my attention

AVALON WATERWAYS TRAVEL POLICY FOR UPCOMING & FUTURE TRAVEL (AS OF MARCH 4, 2020

• Also Avalon Waterways is temporarily waiving cancellation penalties** until 3 days prior to any Europe departure.

Seriously...three days prior? Should I be worried that many passengers may cancel? My husband and I are in the “naughty” group...early 70s but extremely healthy and fit (no underlying problems as the news keeps saying) and have no intention of canceling Any possible chance that if many choose to cancel individually in the next three weeks that the entire cruise could be scuttled? I’m over reacting? Right? That three day thing bothers me [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Highly doubtful they will cancel a cruise this close in. You may have a light load on the cruise, which can be great for the pax. Not so great for the company.  We’ve been on Avalon with as few as 80 pax to the max of 130. 
100 or so is just right. 

9 minutes ago, Spideysmum said:

• Also Avalon Waterways is temporarily waiving cancellation penalties** until 3 days prior to any Europe departure.

You are so lucky they are willing to let you cancel until 3 days before you leave!  It sounds like they are going to cruise no matter what. 

I leave for Asia in 20 days and will admit I wish they would cancel us.  We are not given that same policy.  I am worried will they let us come back into the US after the cruise at the rate the virus is multiplying.   Yes I have travel insurance but I know that the cancel for any reason does not cover you for coronava virus.  

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If my first time on Avalon, yes that would concern me.  But not anymore, sounds like to me they are going.  I agree with previous post three days is generous, who knows where this ends up?  Just have to remain positive.  So We just got word our trip next month has been cancelled by the tour company, but that was Italy.  I wish I was on a river cruise!