All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We are booked on a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise with APT (an Australian company) departing May 1. So far their cancellation policy is less generous than Avalon, Viking or Uniworld. Not happy. Will have to make a decision in the next 3 weeks.

59 minutes ago, Mo52 said:

We are booked on a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise with APT (an Australian company) departing May 1. So far their cancellation policy is less generous than Avalon, Viking or Uniworld. Not happy. Will have to make a decision in the next 3 weeks.

If I remember correctly you are in Australia and will be doing APT's Grand European itinerary. I love that for all the specials you get. If I ever had the time and money I would sail it.

What complicates matters for you is the air travel with a stopover in Dubai (?) I reckon and the restrictions that could await you crossing borders. So far the EU is basically one country but who knows what they will do. Travellers from Germany are already restricted when entering Israel, many flights have been cancelled to several countries.

At the moment I can see the problems more there than actually catching the virus. But that can change, too.

Remember there are many places along the rivers where there are no cases. Yet with people travelling so much the virus is being spread around Europe more evenly. A case in point: a Polish man had spent Carnival in the region of Germany where there are now the greatest number of cases. He went home and became the first official case in Poland.

It is not an easy decision and I hope APT will soon make it easier for you.

notamermaid

We transit through Singapore, not sure if that's better or worse than Dubai. Hopefully we can make a decision soon without too much financial penalty if we rebook. As you said Notamermaid, it is a wonderful itinerary and we want to go, whether in May or at a later date.

Ah, Singapore. As far as I know that is worse as there are more cases. But as regards flying into Europe I do not know if there are any problems yet. Might be a thing to watch, although transiting through that country is not such a big deal I hope. I am sure APT will be aware of such potential problems. But it helps to keep close to the operator or travel agents in these times of doubt, in my opinion.

Hope you can go and have a fantastic time.

notamermaid

7 hours ago, Mo52 said:

We transit through Singapore, not sure if that's better or worse than Dubai. Hopefully we can make a decision soon without too much financial penalty if we rebook. As you said Notamermaid, it is a wonderful itinerary and we want to go, whether in May or at a later date.

In this respect it's good that you are on APT, since with the majority of their customers coming from Australia they are likely to know more about the intricacies of air travel to Europe.  With other cruise lines your situation would be unusual – with APT it is standard.  [This was suggested to me by a post by an Australian customer of Noble Caledonia on a disrupted New Zealand cruise, complaining that N-C is treating their British customers better because they had booked the entire package from London.]

My Rhine cruise is 5/2.  Avalon cancellation policy now includes all of April.  Have to wait longer to see what they do.  part of the family wants to go and part wants to cancel.  It took several years to get everyone on board to go on a trip together.  I am sad to see it not happen.  We are all getting older so who knows how many times we could go.  Guess I have to think positive and hope we can go next year.

Imagine the people currently in the middle of a river cruise with flights back to the US now stopped.  Be glad your at home, I cant imagine what we would do or how, if we were on the cruise (Rhine) we had with Avalon last year.  I mean seriously what do you do if halfway?

not a cruise but my brother-in-law and his wife went to Cairo two days ago starting a 15 day tour, now that they are there, the tour is cancelled and the company is scrambling to get 35 people back before Friday.  

again be glad your home, go on the cruise another time.

Edited by s35flyer

5 minutes ago, s35flyer said:

Imagine the people currently in the middle of a river cruise with flights back to the US now stopped.  Be glad your at home, I cant imagine what we would do or how, if we were on the cruise (Rhine) we had with Avalon last year.  I mean seriously what do you do if halfway?

not a cruise but my brother-in-law and his wife went to Cairo two days ago starting a 15 day tour, now that they are there, the tour is cancelled and the company is scrambling to get 35 people back before Friday.  

again be glad your home, go on the cruise another time.

Flights to the US are NOT stopped. The order prevents foreign travelers from entering the US. It does not prevent Americans from returning home. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Flights to the US are NOT stopped. The order prevents foreign travelers from entering the US. It does not prevent Americans from returning home. 

Understood....but crowd panic is a real thing   We were in Belgium during the Icelandic volcano eruption   For reasons, I cannot remember,  people were panicked into getting either out of Europe or into Spain where the flight paths were different   On the Thalys train from cologne to Brussels, our reserved seats meant nothing   People were standing in the aisles   It was awful  

54 minutes ago, seashell said:

My Rhine cruise is 5/2.  Avalon cancellation policy now includes all of April.  Have to wait longer to see what they do.  part of the family wants to go and part wants to cancel.  It took several years to get everyone on board to go on a trip together.  I am sad to see it not happen.  We are all getting older so who knows how many times we could go.  Guess I have to think positive and hope we can go next year.

My Tulip Time cruise if 5/4.  We're all playing the waiting game.  Will the Netherlands cease all travel in and out of the country?  Will the airline cancel flights?  Will Avalon cancel the cruise?  I'm going on my cruise unless I hear one or all three have occurred.

46 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Correct, but may I add that it is the Schengen countries, unless it has changed in the last two hours. Which means 26 European countries, excluding the UK for example. Why UK citizens should be less harmful than Dutch citizens is beyond me!

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-51847128

notamermaid

Avalon has just came out with a "Peace of Mind" travel plan.  

"

In response to elevated travel restrictions and government advisements, Avalon Waterways is announcing an unprecedented new offer designed to give our travellers options and peace-of-mind when considering their travel plans.

Now through March 20, 2020, Avalon Waterways is allowing all currently booked Europe and Asia travellers and new reservations to move travel dates without incurring cancellation fees*.

We can assist you with your new date for any time in 2020 or 2021, with a refund of all monies paid in the form of a Letter of Credit, redeemable on any Globus family of brands (Globus, Cosmos, Monograms, and Avalon Waterways) vacation for any destination.

We understand the value in giving our guests and travel advisors flexibility in light of the ever-changing travel landscape.

For details, contact us at 1.866.962.9852, and we’ll be happy to help with your updated arrangements."

https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/avalon-assurance/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=pom&utm_content=March_12&fbclid=IwAR3o5OnOpmVRfXo9PYZZg8Jlwi0o6gXTKuE2lUgip_w7DwByUurlDUsxaUs

I guess that settles the question for us United airlines cancelled our ORD to BRU leg and rerouted us to Newark with less than an hour layover Not acceptable....but we were exploring options So..called our TA about this and cancelled before and after hotels (I did have a nonrefundable and nonflex Thalys train booking to Amsterdam that was....cancelled but we were offered a chance to rebook)

So be it I asked our TA to rebook, if possible, on a late October Moselle cruise

Stay healthy and wash,your hands, everyone

The Avalon "Peace of Mind" travel plan only applies to those cruises booked up to April 30, 2020.  If I read the release correctly.  That leaves me with no peace of mind.  My cruise is scheduled for May 6th, with departure from Canada on May 4th.  Air Canada is offering to waive a change fee for only flights scheduled to take off by April 30th.  Yes I have taken out trip interruption/cancellation insurance, but I would only get a refund on the cruise price once Avalon cancels the cruise.  I guess those of us scheduled for May cruises have to wait a bit longer to find out whether we are going on vacation or not.  ARGH!!! LOL

12 hours ago, suntan said:

The Avalon "Peace of Mind" travel plan only applies to those cruises booked up to April 30, 2020.  If I read the release correctly.  That leaves me with no peace of mind.  My cruise is scheduled for May 6th, with departure from Canada on May 4th.  Air Canada is offering to waive a change fee for only flights scheduled to take off by April 30th.  Yes I have taken out trip interruption/cancellation insurance, but I would only get a refund on the cruise price once Avalon cancels the cruise.  I guess those of us scheduled for May cruises have to wait a bit longer to find out whether we are going on vacation or not.  ARGH!!! LOL

We too were on a May Avalon cruise (AMS-BUD), but being part of the extremely high risk categories (old, immuno-compromised), we decided to cancel. Our TA negotiated a deal with Avalon to receive a future travel credit for the non-refundable portion of the cruise price. This required approval of a supervisor at Avalon. Basically, they used the provisions of the "Peace of Mind" plan to determine our cancellation penalty. I am certain they would say this was done on an exception basis, so YMMV. The net result was that the cancellation cost us USD500, which we intend to claim on our trip cancellation insurance.

Now to fight with the airlines about our flights...

********* As of March 12, Avalon has suspended all operations until April 30. **********

They have also updated their Peace of Mind travel plan.  

"

March 12, 2020

In response to elevated travel restrictions and government advisements, Avalon Waterways is announcing an unprecedented new offer designed to give our travellers options and peace-of-mind when considering their travel plans.

Avalon Waterways is now allowing all currently booked travellers between March 14 and April 30, 2020 to move travel dates easily and without incurring cancellation fees, land or airline penalties*, along with an enhanced booking bonus.

With this Peace of Mind Plan, we will also give you a bonus credit of up to $200 per person on your new reservation, redeemable for any future 2020, 2021 or 2022 vacation:

• Bonus credit of $200 when redeemed for an Avalon Waterways cruise
  • Bonus credit of $100 when redeemed for a Globus tour
  • Bonus credit of $50 when redeemed a Cosmos tour, an Escapes by Globus tour or Monograms package

Your Letter of Credit and additional bonus is redeemable on any Globus family of brands (Globus, Cosmos, Monograms, and Avalon Waterways) vacation on any destination and is transferrable.

If you choose to cancel without this Peace of Mind Travel Plan option, contact us for regular cancellation procedures**.

We understand the value in giving our guests and travel advisors flexibility in light of the ever-changing travel landscape.

For details, contact us at 1.866.962.9852, and we’ll be happy to help with your updated arrangements.

*Peace of Mind offer valid for travel through April 30, 2020 until further notice. Refund, including the new booking bonus, in the form of a Letter of Credit, redeemable for travel departing by December 31, 2022. Letters of Credit not redeemable for cash. Changes in airfare may apply, and the new booking is subject to any increase in vacation price. Offer may be withdrawn at any time and other restrictions may apply."

Edited by Daisi

For those of you sailing in May....I would suggest waiting for a bit.  You are still 2 months out, and this seems to be only (for now) getting worse.  If it stays like this, they will probably extend the cancellation policy.  I can understand them not wanting to do so now, as they have staff to pay as well, and will be wanting to get out on the rivers as soon as they can.  

Also, with various European countries "closing their doors", they may have no other choice then to cancel sailings, unfortuantely.

2 hours ago, wandrr said:

We too were on a May Avalon cruise (AMS-BUD), but being part of the extremely high risk categories (old, immuno-compromised), we decided to cancel. Our TA negotiated a deal with Avalon to receive a future travel credit for the non-refundable portion of the cruise price. This required approval of a supervisor at Avalon. Basically, they used the provisions of the "Peace of Mind" plan to determine our cancellation penalty. I am certain they would say this was done on an exception basis, so YMMV. The net result was that the cancellation cost us USD500, which we intend to claim on our trip cancellation insurance.

Now to fight with the airlines about our flights...

Check with your TA about the best way to use the Insurance.  If the premium was greater than $500, you might be able to roll the policy over to the trip you take with the Avalon FTC – but only if you don't make a claim on it.

54 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Check with your TA about the best way to use the Insurance.  If the premium was greater than $500, you might be able to roll the policy over to the trip you take with the Avalon FTC – but only if you don't make a claim on it.

Thanks for the advice, but it probably won't work for us. The TA is in the USA and the insurance is in Canada. The two are totally disconnected.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:10 PM, suntan said:

My Tulip Time cruise if 5/4.  We're all playing the waiting game.  Will the Netherlands cease all travel in and out of the country?  Will the airline cancel flights?  Will Avalon cancel the cruise?  I'm going on my cruise unless I hear one or all three have occurred.

We were booked on the Tulip Time Cruise 5/2 and just yesterday we changed it to the 4/7 cruise in 2021.  They rolled the credit over and since the sailing next year was earlier and less expensive we were able to upgrade the stateroom from A to P and add 2 precruise nights in Amsterdam for only $80.  I'm relieved to have the uncertainty removed.