All Things Avalon

FuelScience

On 3/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, seashell said:

My Rhine cruise is 5/2.  Avalon cancellation policy now includes all of April.  Have to wait longer to see what they do.  part of the family wants to go and part wants to cancel.  It took several years to get everyone on board to go on a trip together.  I am sad to see it not happen.  We are all getting older so who knows how many times we could go.  Guess I have to think positive and hope we can go next year.

They will allow you to change it to next year.  Just yesterday we changed our Tulip Time for 5/2 to one departing next year.  The only reason to wait is if you want to try to get a refund.

I would like to change my cruise to next year but the airline I'm booked on for May 4th is only allowing a one time change fee for flights booked up to April 30th and then they want you to travel before December 31, 2020.  I won't be travelling anywhere else this year and therefore I will probably have to cancel the flight and hope the insurance will cover it.

6 minutes ago, suntan said:

I would like to change my cruise to next year but the airline I'm booked on for May 4th is only allowing a one time change fee for flights booked up to April 30th and then they want you to travel before December 31, 2020.  I won't be travelling anywhere else this year and therefore I will probably have to cancel the flight and hope the insurance will cover it.

Click to cancel the flight and then refund...  right now I think they are refunding most flights and if not your insurance will cover it.

Sounds like your on delta, I have the same issue.  Our return is May 3 and they are on doing through April 30.  Our insurance had a pandemic clause so we are out the money.  We are not doing anything about flights and hoping they change the policy.

5 hours ago, s35flyer said:

Sounds like your on delta, I have the same issue.  Our return is May 3 and they are on doing through April 30.  Our insurance had a pandemic clause so we are out the money.  We are not doing anything about flights and hoping they change the policy.

I'm on Air Canada.  Forget trying to get in touch with them.  I did check my insurance and they cover pandemics.  I may be able to get all my money back!  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:45 PM, crooz4fun said:

We were booked on the Tulip Time Cruise 5/2 and just yesterday we changed it to the 4/7 cruise in 2021.  They rolled the credit over and since the sailing next year was earlier and less expensive we were able to upgrade the stateroom from A to P and add 2 precruise nights in Amsterdam for only $80.  I'm relieved to have the uncertainty removed.

Just curious how you came out with the airlines. Did you book air through Avalon or on your own. Which airline?  We are still weighing our options. 
BTW, I think your change to the April date in 2021 will give you better flower seeing options than the May date this year (unless it is a super bad winter next year).... so you scored well on this one!

3 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Just curious how you came out with the airlines. Did you book air through Avalon or on your own. Which airline?  We are still weighing our options.

I just had to unwind a cruise in New Zealand.  The airlines are really stepping up.  We had a combination of flights on American (points), Delta (points) and Air New Zealand (paid in USD).  American and Delta redeposited the points immediately and promise to refund the small tax charges.  ANZ is swamped, but after 3 1/3 hours on hold the Rep immediately agreed to cancel and refund.

I was able to cancel all the local arrangements, with refunds promised.  The only problem has been our cruise line (Ponant) which is only offering a credit for monies paid (despite a 15% increase in prices for comparable cruise next year) – but we have quoted their own T&C which state clearly that the passenger has the choice to get money back.  Lots of agita on the Ponant forum!

A shout out to Avalon   Last week when I saw the cancel 3 days before for only loss of deposit we decided to cut our losses  Then, after my TA cancelled for me I saw the new announcement of everything returned if I book new cruise    Avalon reinstated my booking and then cancelled under the new terms   So...long story short...we’ve had a princess cruise booked for April 2021   I was able to find a replacement Avalon cruise (Seine not tulip time) which ends three days before the Ireland Scotland Princess cruise.   Plus the add-on transport and London hotel pkg is just icing on the cake      Omg..this is so awesome    United redeposited our miles with no penalty   I’d like to say no harm no foul...but of course there’s harm to the Avalon booking staff (Extra work) and their cruise staffs who may be out of work for a while    Our experience, while painful, is so minor compared to others   

Stay healthy, everyone  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

BTW, I think your change to the April date in 2021 will give you better flower seeing options than the May date this year (unless it is a super bad winter next year).... so you scored well on this one!

This was the first of a three part trip and the last part is yet to be cancelled (but it's in France and most assuredly will).  The trip over was with Business with TAP Portugal and I think the cancellation fee is $145pp.  I cancelled online and am not sure whether they'll ding me for the fee or let it go.  The return trip was on Delta for miles and I haven't cancelled yet...hoping they'll cancel the flight before I do.  The most I could owe is $150pp to redeposit the miles.  Good luck with your changes.

2 hours ago, crooz4fun said:

This was the first of a three part trip and the last part is yet to be cancelled (but it's in France and most assuredly will).  The trip over was with Business with TAP Portugal and I think the cancellation fee is $145pp.  I cancelled online and am not sure whether they'll ding me for the fee or let it go.  The return trip was on Delta for miles and I haven't cancelled yet...hoping they'll cancel the flight before I do.  The most I could owe is $150pp to redeposit the miles.  Good luck with your changes.

Call Delta.  They just let me redeposit miles from a Business ticket with 0 penalty, easy peasy – and that was a US domestic flight.  Foreign should be even easier because they know what's going on.

My travel agent called me today.  I am so glad she called, she knew I would be stressing over my May 6th Tulip Time cruise.  She called Avalon, and although they say they are only working on re-scheduling/cancelling cruises up to April 30th, Avalon did transfer my cruise to the week of April 23, 2021.  Once less thing to stress about.

Just got the email that all Avalon Cruises thru 30 June are canceled. So sorry our June Moselle cruise won’t happen. They are offering 100% + $200/person for future cruise credit good thru 2022.  No clear info about refunds. I have emailed TA to get details on that. If anyone gets refund info please post. 

16 minutes ago, mhb1757 said:

Just got the email that all Avalon Cruises thru 30 June are canceled. So sorry our June Moselle cruise won’t happen. They are offering 100% + $200/person for future cruise credit good thru 2022.  No clear info about refunds. I have emailed TA to get details on that. If anyone gets refund info please post. 

This information is not on the Canadian website.  I suspect it is just a matter of time when Avalon will update the Canadian website.

I was going in a group of family.  My sister got the call from our TA Friday.  Our cruise was for 5/2/2020.  It was cancelled.  We had the option as a group to either take the refund or rebook.  We chose to take the refund.   I got my notice from the TA today that my refund had been processed.  I'm guessing it will take a few days to actually get it.  

2 hours ago, newcruiser1956 said:

When they cancelled my cruise (I was supposed to leave in 3 days 😞    They gave me the option to roll it over and get $250 OBC or refund... I took the refund.  I have not gotten it yet but was told it would be credited back to my credit card. 

We had a cancellation in October 2018 due to low water...  we were not offered the option to roll over the booking - just gave us our money back.  It did arrive quickly,  but the refund did not come close to rebooking the same cruise (had booked over 15 months ahead - with a smoking deal...)

We are traveling with them in October this year, as we did find another sale.  Here's hoping that this one goes as planned...  If it gets cancelled again, I expect  I would just take it as a sign that we aren't meant to do this itinerary!!

Fran

Heard back from TA... full refund or credit plus the $200pp   We decided to just go with the refund since we booked at a very low price and even with the extra credit it wouldn’t cover a rebooking at current prices. Wishing everyone well. Now just hoping our flight gets canceled so we can get airfare refunded (didn’t book Air thru Avalon). 

Haven't heard from Avalon yet.Our cruise booked for late May. We booked directly through them. Went to the my Avalon page. Nothing mentioned there. Guess we just have to wait it out.

Good luck and be safe everyone. 

23 minutes ago, Barbrox said:

Haven't heard from Avalon yet.Our cruise booked for late May. We booked directly through them. Went to the my Avalon page. Nothing mentioned there. Guess we just have to wait it out.

I received this email from Avalon today.  You should be receiving an email soon.

IMPORTANT TRAVEL NOTICE, March 23, 2020

In response to elevated travel restrictions and government advisements, Avalon is suspending operations for all departures through June 30, 2020, which includes your scheduled vacation.

Please note that you do not need to take immediate action. To give you time to consider your updated travel plans, we are processing your refund automatically of all monies paid in the form of Letter of Credit, enabling you to move your booking, fully intact, to any Globus family of brands (Globus, Cosmos, Avalon Waterways or Monograms) tour, cruise or package, any destination or departure, 2020, 2021 or 2022.

Additionally, we’ll give a credit bonus of $200 per person toward your new booking, including our new 2021 touring and cruising vacations, with many dates already available.

We apologize for any inconvenience in your travel planning, and look forward to helping you when you are ready to make your new plans. Please call us at 1.800.268.1639 for support or to answer any questions.

Sincerely,
Avalon Waterways

Visit our Website

49 minutes ago, Barbrox said:

The June cancellation was also posted on their website yesterday.:

avalonwaterways.com.  Click on "Travel update and Policy" just below the header.

Keith

We had a group of 14 going in late May on the Rhine, and got the cancellation letter yesterday.  They are giving us an FCC plus a $200 per person kicker for re-booking until December 31 of 2022  (and if booking in 2020, a price and promo protect).  We can also get a full refund, but only if we decide within the next 10 days. 

Sooo lots of emails and phone call for the 14 of us!  It's hard to re-plan everyone's schedules when there are so many unknowns.  Hate to just take the credit and then have prices soar.  But then again, hate to schedule something and have it cancelled again.  Decisions, decisions.  

1 hour ago, hmcrn said:

We had a group of 14 going in late May on the Rhine, and got the cancellation letter yesterday.  They are giving us an FCC plus a $200 per person kicker for re-booking until December 31 of 2022  (and if booking in 2020, a price and promo protect).  We can also get a full refund, but only if we decide within the next 10 days. 

Sooo lots of emails and phone call for the 14 of us!  It's hard to re-plan everyone's schedules when there are so many unknowns.  Hate to just take the credit and then have prices soar.  But then again, hate to schedule something and have it cancelled again.  Decisions, decisions.  

I hear you hmcrn . we were traveling with just one other couple and the logistics of rescheduling with just the 4 of us made my head hurt!  Can’t imagine trying to do it with 14. We ended up deciding to just go with the refund of price paid since we couldn’t find a time That we could all go in 2020 to take advantage of the price lock offer. I may regret passing on the additional credit but oh well.  Thankful that was the biggest problem of the day. Could be much worse.