TSA Pre-Check

Coming back from Europe last week we entered the US at Phili, I noticed our boarding passes has TSA precheck for Phili. So the security check that you go through after customs in Phili has a TSA Pre Check which save about 45 minutes. Not all entry airports have a TSA Precheck at the security checkpoints when entering the US.

All of our flights the last 3 or 4 years have been able to use TSA Precheck and well worth the effort to get this.

Just being enrolled in TSA Precheck or Global Entry does not 100% guarantee you will be granted access to the precheck line. On one flight last winter we were not, and my sister mentioned to me that on one flight (different airport and airline) recently she and her husband also had to go through the regular security. TSA apparently will sometimes randomly force trusted travelers to go through the regular security line.

Not all airlines participate inTSA precheck.

Pre-check is used by many airlines to ensure that travelers don't miss connecting flights..had Pre-check at LAX a couple of weeks ago..glad to have it at that airport

Precheck has nothing to do with connecting flights. You don't go through security in between connected flights.

I do not believe that is true these days. There was a time when TSA Pre Check seemed almost random but that seems to be long gone. Now, it is a matter of signing up for Pre-Check, Global Entry, Sentri, etc. All these options cost money (TSA applications are $85 for 5 years and Global Entry is $100). These involve jumping through some government hoops (we had to drive about 100 miles for a face to face interview) and completing a detailed application. If you are approved you are issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN) which you use when you buy an airline ticket or later add to your reservation.

Once upon a time you could get pre check for just being a frequent flyer and enrolled with an airline club. Some folks may (or may not) still be grandfathered, but the current process is a bit more complicated (and costs money). It has nothing to do with your credit card except that at least one card (AMEX Platinum) will pay the fee to join Global Entry.

Hank

In the beginning, Precheck was awarded randomly to low risk flyers like frequent flyers to encourage enrollment.

Just flew home from SJU and the TSA precheck had just closed before we walked up at approx 8:00am...weird that a (our) cruise ship had just come in that they would close right before many passengers would be due to arrive there for flights home.

Not all airlines participate inTSA precheck.

I'm aware of that. The time I didn't get pre check privileges, as well as the time my sister didn't were both on participating airlines on which we each have otherwise always received precheck privileges. The reason we didn't receive precheck privilege is exactly for the reason I stated...being enrolled in the program does not guarantee you'll receive precheck privileges. TSA randomly selects enrolled passengers and requires them to go through the normal security line rather than the precheck line.

Precheck has nothing to do with connecting flights. You don't go through security in between connected flights.

You do go through security on a connection if, as the poster you partially quoted, you are entering the US and passing thru customs and immigration.

At LAX, our connecting flight was in another terminal, so we had to go thru their security again...came in to T5, left from T2...there are 8 separate terminals at LAX..if you are leaving T1 or T2, no need for additional security line. Same for T3 and T4...T5-8 as well, but leaving from one of the other areas, you must go thru security again...not a pleasant time...

Edited by 2flacruisers

At LAX, our connecting flight was in another terminal, so we had to go thru their security again...came in to T5, left from T2...there are 8 separate terminals at LAX..if you are leaving T1 or T2, no need for additional security line. Same for T3 and T4...T5-8 as well, but leaving from one of the other areas, you must go thru security again...not a pleasant time...

Is that because you are having to go through Customs or are both flights domestic? I have never been in an airport where there's not transport between domestic terminals on the secured side. Is LAX an exception?

Is that because you are having to go through Customs or are both flights domestic? I have never been in an airport where there's not transport between domestic terminals on the secured side. Is LAX an exception?

Yep, LAX is a nasty exception. They just finished some tunneling/shuttles that connect the South Side terminals airside (United,Delta, Alaska, AA) and TBIT (International). It was all supposed to be open this Spring. Before this, outside of the old T4-5 tunnel and some busses to go out to commuter stands, you had to go outside of the terminals and go back in and do security.

If you fly out of T1-3 (SouthWest, JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Virgin, WestJet are the primes), you get to do the outside-inside walk of shame...

• 8 months later...

Old thread but this is relevant information.

"(February 1, 2017) Starting February 2017, the Transportation Security Administration will limit access to its TSA Pre✓ expedited physical screening lanes. Only those customers who have paid for and enrolled in a Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler program, such as TSA Pre✓, will have the most frequent and consistent access to expedited screening lanes."

"(February 1, 2017) Starting February 2017, the Transportation Security Administration will limit access to its TSA Pre✓ expedited physical screening lanes. Only those customers who have paid for and enrolled in a Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler program, such as TSA Pre✓, will have the most frequent and consistent access to expedited screening lanes."

About damn time! I paid my $100 and went through background checks to get my GE - I did not appreciate some Ma and Pa Kettle with no experience or vetting was allowed to just clog up the PreCheck one because they got the lucky "beep". And those elite airline FF members - pay like the rest of us or get in line... If you want PreCheck, Pay for Precheck...

Just flew home from SJU and the TSA precheck had just closed before we walked up at approx 8:00am...weird that a (our) cruise ship had just come in that they would close right before many passengers would be due to arrive there for flights home.

TSA at it's finest...

High five...

I just saw where you are from - so you are familiar with the SLC smurfs...

I was bringing some heirloom tomatoes back to my family from the local farmer's market - the smurf wanted to confiscate them because they have liquid in them and they make sauce :eek: Even if he were to squeeze each of those 3 tomatoes, he would not have gotten 100ml out of them - these were meaty 'maters...

It would be nice to know where you got this quote from...I can't find any confirming info.

It would be nice to know where you got this quote from...I can't find any confirming info.

Let's see:

""Starting early February 2017, TSA will significantly reduce access to [TSA PreCheck] expedited screening for non-enrolled travelers," Transportation Security Administration spokesman Mike England told CNBC in an emailed statement."

and,

"TSA has announced that, starting in early February 2017, it will “significantly reduce” the number of frequent fliers not enrolled in TSA PreCheck who have been getting expedited screening on an occasional basis, for free.

“This is part of the natural progression of the TSA PreCheck program,” TSA spokesman Bruce Anderson told USA TODAY."

Also on The Points Guy, The Boardingarea, FlyerTalk, ...

I just saw where you are from - so you are familiar with the SLC smurfs...

I was bringing some heirloom tomatoes back to my family from the local farmer's market - the smurf wanted to confiscate them because they have liquid in them and they make sauce :eek: Even if he were to squeeze each of those 3 tomatoes, he would not have gotten 100ml out of them - these were meaty 'maters...

All too familiar.