"Club" Dining---Pure snobbery or a good idea?

CruisingObsessed

Purely an historical artefact. Nothing more.

You cant 'buy' your way into a higher class when it is used in the traditional meaning of the word and which is being alluded to in this thread Trying to make this decision sound like it is a snobbery thing is getting ridiculous.

Well, actually, people have been doing exactly that for centuries, but that's another thread (on the History Forum.)

Some people may view this as a snobbery issue and some may not. This is just another "formal wear" thread where everyone will weigh in and no one's mind will be changed.

I always look forward to leaving the socially competitive lifestyle on land. And instead blend in with others "Escaping Completely" onboard a cruise. Now we have to endure a financial pecking order at sea?

It's time for me to buy my own boat and take back control on how I'm allowed to relax completely!

Edited by MTJSR

If you think that make me a snob- then you don't know my heart.

You are so right! I’m in favor of Club Class as well.

We prefer a full suite when we cruise. I don’t think that makes us snobs. We just happen to be particular.

We are not rich. We aren’t even “well-to-do.” My wife and I have worked hard since we were teenagers and now we are enjoying retirement by cruising in “full suites.” We enjoy the amenities are happy to pay for extra for them.

What some people would call snobbery, I call enjoying what I pay for. We enjoy the perks of being in a “full suite.”

We don’t look down our noses at anyone. You won’t know our status or what type of stateroom we are in unless you ask or see us enjoying the concierge lounge, diamond lounge, reserved seating at the theater, etc.

Snobbery is a two-way street. Thinking you’re the victim of a snob is a much easier process than admitting that you’re the perpetrator.

People take the class thing too seriously instead of enjoying their vacation.

Cruise on!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We prefer a full suite when we cruise. I don’t think that makes me a snob. We just happen to be particular.

We are not rich. We aren’t “well-to-do.” My wife and I have worked hard since we were teenagers and now we are enjoying retirement by cruising “full suites.” We enjoy the amenities are happy to pay for extra for them.

What some people would call snobbery, I call enjoying what I pay for. We enjoy the perks of being in a “full suite.”

We don’t look down our noses at anyone. You won’t know our status or what type of stateroom we are in unless you ask or see us enjoying the concierge lounge, diamond lounge, reserved seating at the theater, etc.

Snobbery is a two-way street. Thinking you’re the victim of a snob is a much easier process than admitting that you’re the perpetrator.

Cruise on!

Well said

I am appalled at the "Club Class" dining idea. Not only is it a recipe to make anytime dining even more messed up than it already is; but is creating a caste system on a ship that has mass market appeal such a good idea?

Am I wrong? Do people think they need this for the extra money spent on suites and minis? Obviously Princess's motivation is cash...

It's good marketing and a way to generate additional revenue for Princess, which is a business. Their bottom line is to make a profit. There are individuals who may never book a suite, but will consider the "Club Class" for the additional amenities offered. Others may book who have not cruised with Princess previously.

Value is always subjective.

We prefer a full suite when we cruise. I don’t think that makes us snobs. We just happen to be particular.

We are not rich. We aren’t even “well-to-do.” My wife and I have worked hard since we were teenagers and now we are enjoying retirement by cruising in “full suites.” We enjoy the amenities are happy to pay for extra for them.

Cruise on!

Very well said.

We have booked a mini suite on Island Princess in November, but as Elite pax we get some of the extras that the 'New Club Class' boasts anyway, in fact more. We also go to Traditional Dining @ 8pm each night anyway. So why pay more for Club Class? Not seen it advertised on Princess Australia website, who I booked through. Also where on the ships are the designated 'Club Class Mini Suites?'

Not a great move by Princess, as some have said, it will end up like Cunard, restricted areas, the retired Admirals and Generals and Brain Surgeons in the Queens Grill, the Privates and Sergeants and truck drivers in the Britannia Restaurant, not for me.

Island Princess gets the Club Class from Jan 7, 2017. Mini I have booked for Nov (one of the bump out ones on Caribe Deck) is a club class Mini from Jan 7, not when I am in it Nov 16.

No doubt a progressive implementation across the fleet.

Forgive my ignorance of all Princess deck plans, but a quick survey seemed to show that almost all the ships have 3 dining rooms (not Coral, Island and Pacific). If this concept catches on, wouldn't it make sense to devote one dining room each to Fixed Dining, Anytime Dining, and Club Dining? That would eliminate the 'velvet rope' problem, and also any safety issues from changing the egress flow.

Forgive my ignorance of all Princess deck plans, but a quick survey seemed to show that almost all the ships have 3 dining rooms (not Coral, Island and Pacific). If this concept catches on, wouldn't it make sense to devote one dining room each to Fixed Dining, Anytime Dining, and Club Dining? That would eliminate the 'velvet rope' problem, and also any safety issues from changing the egress flow.

That sounds logical, but there might be some problems. I don't think the Club Class scheme will provide enough people to fill an entire dining room. That would leave a good size area empty. Traditional dining generally takes place in one of the dining rooms, two seatings, but there is an overflow of people wanting early TD. This group has taken one of the dining rooms for the duration of early seating. The other dining room is Anytime, and the "overflow" dining room becomes Anytime after the early Traditional people leave. Princess dining rooms are all the same size, for the most part.

I was initially intrigued by the Club Class option and thought we might try it now and then. We enjoy cruising in every cabin catagory, yet we often cruise in a mini suite. We expect to get more when we pay more and get less when we pay less. While many of the benefits of Club Class overlap with elite, the idea of dining in a smaller venue was tempting. Then I learned that it would not be a separate venue, but part of the main dining room and I lost all interest in Club Class. I do not want any envy directed at me if I am in Club Class. Also I do not want others to feel left out or bad in any way because of what I am eating within their view. And if I am not in Club Class, I do not want to smell and see food that I can't eat.

Shreddie is right about this. It can change to tone of the cruise. There have been recent studies showing that when distinctions in service are made clearly obvious, such as airline first and coach class, a number of people in each class will exhibit contemptuous behavior towards those in the other class. It may be that a minority of people are very concerned with hierarchy. Thus some people receiving superior service will feel entitlement and disdain for those apparently beneath them. Similarly, a number of those receiving lesser service will feel humiliation and envy. Even if we are only talking about a few people, it can change the tone of the cruise.

I experienced this unfortunate phenomenon as a "segmenter" on a segment of a world cruise on the Pacific Princess. A very small number of the world cruisers treated the segmenters extremely poorly. Some segmenters took it harder than others. I interact with people from all walks of life and truly all socioeconomic brackets and have never experienced anything like this before. It certainly won't stop me from taking another world cruise segment, but it is unfortunate. And it changed the feel of the cruise.

I doubt we will ever book Club Class as it is currently described. If we experience long wait times for anytime dining and decreasing service and food options, we will need to rethink how we travel and vacation. Additionally, I enjoy the table side preparations currently offered to everyone, such as cherries jubilee and penne aribiata. If I can see and smell these things, but no longer taste them without being in Club Class then I think I would try Celebrity.

So few people eat in Sabatini's that Princess could easily use this room for Club Class. If Princess needs to make money from specialty dining, people can still pay to eat at Crown Grill and Salty Dog.

Edited by Loreni

I was initially intrigued by the Club Class option and thought we might try it now and then. We enjoy cruising in every cabin catagory, yet we often cruise in a mini suite. We expect to get more when we pay more and get less when we pay less. While many of the benefits of Club Class overlap with elite, the idea of dining in a smaller venue was tempting. Then I learned that it would not be a separate venue, but part of the main dining room and I lost all interest in Club Class. I do not want any envy directed at me if I am in Club Class. Also I do not want others to feel left out or bad in any way because of what I am eating within their view. And if I am not in Club Class, I do not want to smell and see food that I can't eat.

Shreddie is right about this. It can change to tone of the cruise. There have been recent studies showing that when distinctions in service are made clearly obvious, such as airline first and coach class, a number of people in each class will exhibit contemptuous behavior towards those in the other class. It may be that a minority of people are very concerned with hierarchy. Thus some people receiving superior service will feel entitlement and disdain for those apparently beneath them. Similarly, a number of those receiving lesser service will feel humiliation and envy. Even if we are only talking about a few people, it can change the tone of the cruise.

I experienced this unfortunate phenomenon as a "segmenter" on a segment of a world cruise on the Pacific Princess. A very small number of the world cruisers treated the segmenters poorly. I interact with people from all walks of life and truly all socioeconomic brackets and have never experienced anything like this before. It certainly won't stop me from taking another world cruise segment, but it is unfortunate. It hurt others more than it hurt me and they did not deserve it. And it changed the feel of the cruise.

I doubt we will ever book Club Class as it is currently described. If we experience long wait times for anytime dining and decreasing service and food options we will need to rethink how we travel and vacation. Additionally, I enjoy the table side preparations currently offered to everyone, such as cherries jubilee and penne aribiata, if I can see and smell these things, but no longer taste them without being in Club Class then I think I would try Celebrity.

So few people eat in Sabatini's why not use this room for Club Class. If Princess needs to make money from specialty dining, people can still pay to eat at Crown Grill and Salty Dog.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

Might work on Diamond with 5 rooms. Don't think there'd be enough on the others.

I experienced this unfortunate phenomenon as a "segmenter" on a segment of a world cruise on the Pacific Princess. A very small number of the world cruisers treated the segmenters extremely poorly. Some segmenters took it harder than others. I interact with people from all walks of life and truly all socioeconomic brackets and have never experienced anything like this before. It certainly won't stop me from taking another world cruise segment, but it is unfortunate. And it changed the feel of the cruise.

I doubt we will ever book Club Class as it is currently described. If we experience long wait times for anytime dining and decreasing service and food options, we will need to rethink how we travel and vacation. Additionally, I enjoy the table side preparations currently offered to everyone, such as cherries jubilee and penne aribiata. If I can see and smell these things, but no longer taste them without being in Club Class then I think I would try Celebrity.

So few people eat in Sabatini's that Princess could easily use this room for Club Class. If Princess needs to make money from specialty dining, people can still pay to eat at Crown Grill and Salty Dog.

Besides those on CC I doubt many people really care that much - I highly doubt people would look with envy - the good news is they too can travel in Club Class - it's open to anyone who wishes to book it - as far as the segments go I think they have deeper issues based on how you presented them -

The problem with that is that you would be removing far more dining room capacity then the new category would hold. If they did that with the entire dining room it would severely impact both traditional and anytime.

The logical place is the main dining room, deck 6, mid ship, that is used for traditional overflow early and then converts to anytime. I would expect them to take the left hand side. Use the single door there as their entrance and rope off the the corner closest to it. That area has two walls blocking off most of the rest of the room. It would hold about 30-40 people. Even without additional construction it would only be visible by those in the center of the room.

I couldn't care less about who gets what based on the amount they paid, it was their choice to take advantage of an offer as they saw a value in said offer.

It isn't as if the offer is exclusive to them; anyone can get the offer if they want to spend the loot.

Typically there are always things we are looking to do and MDR just "eats up" (no pun intended) so much time, that honestly we're as apt to hit the Lido to eat what we want in the time frame we have/want than spend the 75 to 90 mins in the MDR.

I couldn't care less about who gets what based on the amount they paid, it was their choice to take advantage of an offer as they saw a value in said offer.

It isn't as if the offer is exclusive to them; anyone can get the offer if they want to spend the loot.

Typically there are always things we are looking to do and MDR just "eats up" (no pun intended) so much time, that honestly we're as apt to hit the Lido to eat what we want in the time frame we have/want than spend the 75 to 90 mins in the MDR.

Absolutely. My thoughts exactly. This whole "class" discussion is weird to me because there's no "class" issue here. If you want the product/service and willing to pay for it, then buy it. If you don't, don't. I've cruised on Cunard and never saw any "class" issues at all. Those who wanted to shell out the extra loot got extras and those who didn't spent it on other things or saved it. It's sort of like the Elite, Platinum discussions (I find those hilarious, btw). You're paying for a product and you're a loyal customer - you get some freebies because of it. There's no reason to be elitist, etc. You're paying for it.

So for the "Get What You Pay For" comments - today Princess is showing Regal Princess February 2017 sailings for M1 Premium Mini Suites designated as Club Class less $ than next door same deck MA Mini Suites w/o CC - might just be in process of M1 price adjustment but for right now Princess is offering more for less - go figure.

We did look into the Club Dining on Princess. We decided not to try to take this, in that unlike Celebrity where the individuals would be in a separate dining room with a separate menu, all you get is the option to eat in a "walled off" area of the MDR. To us, it is not worth it.

I have no problem with Princess offering additional perks if one is willing to pay for it. I am against any decline in the MDR in an attempt to create such a difference.

Celebrity started down this road much earlier and is further along. There they have, in addition to their own dining rooms, a reserved area in the theater, and Michael's Club has been converted from a public area to private for suites.

So for the "Get What You Pay For" comments - today Princess is showing Regal Princess February 2017 sailings for M1 Premium Mini Suites designated as Club Class less $ than next door same deck MA Mini Suites w/o CC - might just be in process of M1 price adjustment but for right now Princess is offering more for less - go figure.

If you are curious about experiencing Club Class you should book that right now! I just checked an 8 day trip that I have my eye on for next spring (after the Club Class rolls out). OUCH! Our preferred cabin is a forward mini. I like the space and I like being able to feel the ship's movement so it's unlikely that we'd ever book a mid-ship mini. But I was curious - the difference between our un-Club Class forward mini and the Club Class mini was $1700 (!!) for the 2 of us. We could eat every night in specialty dinning and I could practically live at the spa for 8 days. Um, no thank you.

It's all a matter of personal choice. We all choose what we feel like spending on and it's rare for other people to value the costs of things the same. DH and I are pretty much in spending agreement but if I were totally left to my own devices I probably would live in the spa and he probably would have a walk-in humidor full of Cuban cigars. I don't and he doesn't.

Absolutely. My thoughts exactly. This whole "class" discussion is weird to me because there's no "class" issue here. If you want the product/service and willing to pay for it, then buy it. If you don't, don't. I've cruised on Cunard and never saw any "class" issues at all. Those who wanted to shell out the extra loot got extras and those who didn't spent it on other things or saved it. It's sort of like the Elite, Platinum discussions (I find those hilarious, btw). You're paying for a product and you're a loyal customer - you get some freebies because of it. There's no reason to be elitist, etc. You're paying for it.

I posted earlier about the whole "class" conversation. It does still bother me there are such distinctions between "groups" of people in our society. My issue is not necessarily with the cruise class, it is beyond where there are obvious differences made. That was why my post was "anti class."

However, I do agree with your valid point. This will be my first cruise with my DH this September. We have been married almost 43 years and never been on a real vacation. We are also considering a vow renewal!! So, we really splurged for a suite. For us personally, it really is about the luxury of the suite for our cruise. The perks come in second. That being said, we will enjoy the perks because you are right, we did a lot of money and the perks are included. By the way, we are going before the Club Class takes place on the Star Princess.

Thank you for helping me to see this conversation from a different perspective. My DH and I will enjoy this one elaborate vacation, with the perks, and then back to an ordinary life. :) :) :)

...This will be my first cruise with my DH this September. We have been married almost 43 years and never been on a real vacation. We are also considering a vow renewal!! So, we really splurged for a suite. For us personally, it really is about the luxury of the suite for our cruise. The perks come in second...

The longer term perspective is that all cruise lines have been coping with the economic downturn of the last 8 years -- since they couldn't raise prices -- by cutting costs. Therefore the quality of the food and service in the main dining room has been reduced -- again, this is not just Princess but everybody. Now that the economy is perking up, many cruise lines have started adding even more ships -- and except for the Northwest Passage, there are no new areas in which to sail. So, all the cruise lines are now on the same mission to offer reasons for people to spend more, preferably in the initial booking fare. Upscale lines are going all-inclusive; others are offering prepaid drinks packages, tips, internet, etc.; and everybody sees the need to offer better food -- but since they want to keep the cheapest fares as low as possible they can't raise the food expenses across the board. Hence the new "class" system in which they raise food expenses at each level as you pay more for your cabin. IMO this isn't really a "class system" so much as an expansion of Choice: smaller cabins with basic food at the lowest possible cost, and levels of choice above that for larger cabins, better food, more amenities. It isn't the "one class fits all" cruising we used to know, but it isn't the end of the world either.

One issue I'd raise is that a Mini is useless to me, unless I can get a HC one, which is almost impossible, as I can't book that for out, (if they even have any in the M1 category) so I am excluded.

And if they do as, I at least, expect and downgrade the general food I'm excluded.:mad:.

Well, if Princess expands this new idea of seperate dinning for Club to the max, then be very careful about leaving your suit jacket laying on a lounge chair.

Because I will be the guy "borrowing" it so I can eat in the main dinning room with the swells.

Of course my plan hinges on the idea that I will be able to get past that pesky gate. :D

Bob