Immigration Info Not Provided Until Check-In

bbgran190

Will be traveling with a couple of friends to Alaska later this year. One of our companions does not want to provide her immigration/passport info until checking in at the dock. Has anyone done this and what kind of problems, if any, can we anticipate by not providing the requested information earlier as requested.

I always travel with a passport, but is there a place to note that you are using a birth certificate instead? They could use that until they get to checkin. EM

Just checked, if you elect to provide a birth certificate you also need to provided a driver's license number or state ID number. The OP's friend may not want to provide that info either.

I'm thinking if a passport number or birth certificate along with a driver's license is not provided, a boarding pass may not be made available for printing.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

It's my understanding that immigration information must be provided to Princess, who in turn provides it to immigration officials, several days ahead of time or boarding will be denied. And like Lew said, no boarding pass can be printed without it. It can either be submitted online or Princess has a form to fax, but it has to be provided ahead of time.

I'm thinking if a passport number or birth certificate along with a driver's license is not provided, a boarding pass may not be made available for printing.

I'm logged into my cruiser personalizer, and I agree. When I click for "print boarding pass and luggage tags, it tells me I must complete all of the online forms, including immigration. If the friend does not provide this info, they will be showing up rather "empty handed" at the port on departure day.

Part of Princess' rationale for asking this to be filled out ahead of time is to ENSURE that there are no problems that will prevent the passenger from boarding. For example, someone may show up with a passport, but not be aware that it is about to expire (some countries require 6mos remaining for entry). Someone may show up at the port with a birth certificate in hand, but neglect to bring required supporting documents.

If she does not want to provide the information ahead of time, she may be denied boarding, because the manifest must be sent to CI so many hours ahead of sailing. Is there a specific reason why she doesn't want to comply? If so, then maybe she had better forgo the cruise. As a side note, I put my information in my personalizer, just not my credit card numbers. I had to call Princess for something, when she pulled up my reservation, she mentioned that my CC section had not been filled out. I told her we book so far in advance, there was no need to fill that section out, but I take care of that just before final payment.

At the very least, she will slow down hers and your boarding if you're boarding together. She won't have luggage tags so the stevedore will have to fill it out for her when she gets to the pier.

At check-in, she won't have her boarding pass which isn't a biggie but because she'll have to provide everything then, it'll slow down check in and boarding not only for herself but everyone else in line behind her.

The manifest must be submitted by the ship an hour or two before sailing. If she checks in late without having previously filled out her PIF, the ship cannot sail until the manifest has been submitted. In other words, she could delay the ship's sailing.

The bottom line is that her refusal will mean a big PITA and if there are any issues, she won't be allowed to board the ship.

Did she give a reason for not wanting to fill out the information? It doesn't make any sense to me and strikes me as being very selfish. :(

If her concern is one of security of her information, she has several options. Obviously, she is rejecting the on line choice. She can also opt to mail or fax the information to Princess.

No matter how she supplies the information or when it is supplied, it will end up in the Princess computer system and be sent to Homeland Security and Border Control.

The only thing she will accomplish with this late data entry is that it will be entered late and delay her boarding process and that of everyone who comes after her in the lines. And should she forget anything or have something in less than perfect order, she might be denied boarding.

In my opinion, she seems selfish by jeopardizing everyone's boarding. If she is one of the millions who are afraid of identity theft, you are in the wrong century, anyone who wants can obtain any information on anyone at any time..can and will.

Is your cruise stopping in Canada? Perhaps she has a criminal charge in her past that she doesn't want you to know about. However, not giving the information now doesn't mean she will get on the ship in this case. If she shows up at the terminal, gives her immigration info and is then deemed inadmissable to Canada - she not only will loose the money spent on the cruise but also the money spent on the flight. Better to find out now rather than at the dock.

Why do people want to travel to other places and dcide they do not want to go through the procedures needed to go on their trip. The information is needed by the vendor in order to give you the best experience they can. This person's desire not to do that only causes problems for them and others. Do not want to provide the information requsted in the format requested. Then stay home and let othes enjoy themselves. Sorry but thousnads all ovr the wotld provide the information with no problems.

Is your cruise stopping in Canada? Perhaps she has a criminal charge in her past that she doesn't want you to know about. However, not giving the information now doesn't mean she will get on the ship in this case. If she shows up at the terminal, gives her immigration info and is then deemed inadmissable to Canada - she not only will loose the money spent on the cruise but also the money spent on the flight. Better to find out now rather than at the dock.

Canada can be a bit "picky" when it comes to any criminal record. For instance, if one has a DUI or DWI (Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Intoxicated) or whatever it's called in your local area it must be more than 10 years after the completion of all fines, probationary period, etc. before you are "deemed rehabilitated" and allowed to enter Canada. Many people find this out the hard way each year when denied border crossing.

I'm told that you really don't want to be arrested for that offense in Canada as it's taken very seriously.

(On the other hand Canada shipped massive amounts of alcohol into the U.S. during the prohibition era... :rolleyes:)

Obviously there can be any number of reasons (fear of identity theft for example) that your friend doesn't want to provide the information in advance but I think not providing the information in advance might be a good way for your friend to end up "waving goodbye to the ship" as it leaves.

Edited by Thrak

As everyone said, and I will reiterate as it's so important, the biggest problem she may encounter is being denied boarding. This information is crucial.

The best case scenario is she will delay everyone boarding.... from 30-40 minutes...

Even airlines require this information. Maybe traveling isn't a good option for your friend?

Starting about ten days out she is going to get increasingly alarmed phone calls from Princess. The calls will clearly indicate that the information must be supplied. She won't be able to print baggage tags, but the porters will have blanks.

The Clipboard Dragons at the door are going to gripe about the lack of boarding pass and send her to someone with a printed manifest before she goes up the escalator. They will be cranky about it.

Ultimately the check-in process will be slower. I suggest leaving her behind to deal with it and proceeding to the closest bar after boarding.

If everything is in order, she will be allowed to board.

The problem comes if CBSA decides she's inadmissible. Not getting off the ship in Victoria isn't an option. She has to be admissible to stay onboard. Looming in the background are three possible outcomes if she isn't admissible:

1. CBSA allows her to visit.
  2. CBSA doesn't allow her to enter and she is deported via the ship.
  3. CBSA doesn't allow her to visit and she is disembarked at her last US port.

Princess will not risk either of those last two. I have absolutely seen people removed from the ship in Seattle and LA for failing the predeparture manifest screening.

It's time for a heart to heart with your friend - she either needs to use the process that literally millions of Princess customers use every year without incident, risk an unpleasantly delayed boarding, or enjoy a lovely week in Seattle because she has admissibility challenges.

Starting about ten days out she is going to get increasingly alarmed phone calls from Princess. The calls will clearly indicate that the information must be supplied. She won't be able to print baggage tags, but the porters will have blanks.

The Clipboard Dragons at the door are going to gripe about the lack of boarding pass and send her to someone with a printed manifest before she goes up the escalator. They will be cranky about it.

Ultimately the check-in process will be slower. I suggest leaving her behind to deal with it and proceeding to the closest bar after boarding.

If everything is in order, she will be allowed to board.

The problem comes if CBSA decides she's inadmissible. Not getting off the ship in Victoria isn't an option. She has to be admissible to stay onboard. Looming in the background are three possible outcomes if she isn't admissible:

1. CBSA allows her to visit.
  2. CBSA doesn't allow her to enter and she is deported via the ship.
  3. CBSA doesn't allow her to visit and she is disembarked at her last US port.

Princess will not risk either of those last two. I have absolutely seen people removed from the ship in Seattle and LA for failing the predeparture manifest screening.

It's time for a heart to heart with your friend - she either needs to use the process that literally millions of Princess customers use every year without incident, risk an unpleasantly delayed boarding, or enjoy a lovely week in Seattle because she has admissibility challenges.

Well said!

It's time for a heart to heart with your friend - she either needs to use the process that literally millions of Princess customers use every year without incident, risk an unpleasantly delayed boarding

or enjoy a lovely expensive week in Seattle because she has admissibility challenges.

To get into port she need to bring her booking confirmation.

The process adds about 30 minutes to her checking in process.

The online process started to get everyone onboard quicker. One or two shouldn't hold up the ship but if many do this......

Question for others.....if this person doesn't complete her online info, can her cabin mate print out their boarding pass and tags?

Edited by SadieN

Just checked, if you elect to provide a birth certificate you also need to provided a driver's license number or state ID number. The OP's friend may not want to provide that info either.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Maybe she should not travel and just stay home!

It's my understanding that immigration information must be provided to Princess, who in turn provides it to immigration officials, several days ahead of time or boarding will be denied.

FWIW That's exactly what I was told by a Princess rep when I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get my renewed passport until about 2 weeks prior to sailing. She said get the info in as soon as I received my new passport or else it could cause big trouble.

This reminds me quite a bit of my mom, who refuses to use her credit card to purchase anything online. Luckily (especially since she no longer drives) she has no issue with me using my credit card to purchase things for her online, and then reimbursing me.

:rolleyes:

This reminds me quite a bit of my mom, who refuses to use her credit card to purchase anything online. Luckily (especially since she no longer drives) she has no issue with me using my credit card to purchase things for her online, and then reimbursing me.

:rolleyes:

Mine, too.

To complement the dire warnings above:

I once had a Total State Department Failure just prior to a transatlantic. My passport renewal application was sent in with time to spare and it just . . . disappeared. Tracking shows the NPC got it, but it all went to darkness from there.

Time passes. A week before the trip, the application surfaces and a passport is produced. Huzzah! Except it disappears into the void after shipping. Tracking data shows it left the NPC but never made it to the next stop for overnight shipping. With weekends and giving it a day to reset, it's now three days before my sailing. I am an eight hour drive to the nearest passport office.

This is where they really came through. I went to the courthouse, swore out a new application, sealed it in an envelope and drove it two hours to the nearest commercial airport. It flew Next Flight to Seattle, where a friend picked it up at the airport and drove it downtown, then waited for the passport office to make me a new book. Due to traffic, it has missed the plane back to me. She walks it over to the United counter and has it sent, hold for pickup, to the SFO cargo desk.

I board my flight from rural hell to SFO at 06:25 without the passport. We land about 8:30 and I hightail it over to Cargo to pick up the envelope, and then back through security to board my Miami-bound flight, arriving at the gate as they're making the final call.

At check in, no drama whatsoever. But I'm a model citizen. Cough.

Clipboard Dragons. . . I'm going to borrow this!

Will be traveling with a couple of friends to Alaska later this year. One of our companions does not want to provide her immigration/passport info until checking in at the dock. Has anyone done this and what kind of problems, if any, can we anticipate by not providing the requested information earlier as requested.

What kind of problems can you anticipate? Tons, because clearly this "friend" doesn't want to cruise.