Is Princess' Internet Service Really The Best?

MTJSR

I don't understand where you are confused. I said I'd take Princess Internet any day over Carnival. We were recently on the Carnival Legend whose internet sucked. Princess is much faster, and there's an internet manager available on Princess. Only comparing the two. Where did the boarding pass in your mind come into being? I'm confused too!:eek:

You said you were ON the ship IN the Internet cafe PRINTING BOArding PASSES for everybody. IF you didn't have your boarding pass printed, how did you get ON the ship???

I'm a Princess Elite cruiser but have sailed with Celebrity for the last 3 cruises - I was shocked at how much faster their internet speed is. You can actually use it to do things like........view websites :eek:

I don't understand where you are confused. I said I'd take Princess Internet any day over Carnival. We were recently on the Carnival Legend whose internet sucked. Princess is much faster, and there's an internet manager available on Princess. Only comparing the two. Where did the boarding pass in your mind come into being? I'm confused too!:eek:

Carnival offers different internet speeds for different prices:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

I have been on both lines numerous times and I would be hard pressed to say that Princess internet beats Carnival....:rolleyes:

You said you were ON the ship IN the Internet cafe PRINTING BOArding PASSES for everybody. IF you didn't have your boarding pass printed, how did you get ON the ship???

On the ship, printing boarding passes for other people as they couldn't get online indicates airline boarding passes mate. Since ship boarding passes are rarely called "boarding passes" - it's a setsail pass or water - it's easy enough to deduce the poster was printing Irvine boarding passes, especially as they note they were ON the ship, and had bought ships Internet. Obviously they had what was needed to board the ship, only boarding passes left are airline...

Was on the Regal for a TA in April. Used my iPad in my room the majority of the time and had the best connections ever when compared to prior cruises. Only used to in Internet cafe to print airline boarding passes the last day which was no problem. Cabin was midship on Aloha deck.

On the ship, printing boarding passes for other people as they couldn't get online indicates airline boarding passes mate. Since ship boarding passes are rarely called "boarding passes" - it's a setsail pass or water - it's easy enough to deduce the poster was printing Irvine boarding passes, especially as they note they were ON the ship, and had bought ships Internet. Obviously they had what was needed to board the ship, only boarding passes left are airline...

When I originally posted thAt I was confused' I in NO way meant it as a smart alec remark, although the replies were in that tone. When I log onto "MY PRINCESS" for booked guests for my upcoming cruise, it instructs me to PRINT BOARDING PASS and then print luggage tags, so they definitely ARE called boarding passes. I had no option to get them electronically sent to my phone as I do my airline "tickets". SO I hope that this clears up your confusion mate.

Chill. Any logical person would realize the poster meant airline boarding passes for their flight home.

you said you were on the ship in the internet cafe printing boarding passes for everybody. If you didn't have your boarding pass printed, how did you get on the ship???

Airline boarding passes is what I was printing out for people. If people were already on the ship, why would I be printing out boarding passes to get on the ship in the internet cafe?

Edited by elliair

When I originally posted thAt I was confused' I in NO way meant it as a smart alec remark, although the replies were in that tone. When I log onto "MY PRINCESS" for booked guests for my upcoming cruise, it instructs me to PRINT BOARDING PASS and then print luggage tags, so they definitely ARE called boarding passes. I had no option to get them electronically sent to my phone as I do my airline "tickets". SO I hope that this clears up your confusion mate.

No problem. The passengers I helped out the most had no idea how to even get to their airline web page. Most were elderly folks and veterans. One man even brought his grandson with him. I could have gotten drunk sitting there as people were offering me drinks. I declined except for one lady brought me a glass of water. I enjoyed doing it for those people, and I would do it again if given the chance....and I have done it in the past.

Airline boarding passes is what I was printing out for people. If people were already on the ship, why would I be printing out boarding passes to get on the ship in the internet cafe?

Exactly. THat is why I was confused. PRincess calls them Boarding Passes which you have to print out before you get on the ship. My airline calls them TICKETS, not boarding passes so my confusion was not meant to start anything, it was innocent confusion. Don't know why people got so bent out of shape over an innocent comment.also confusion as to why people wait to print airline TICKETS on the ship. TICKETS can be electronically sent to your phone.

No problem. The passengers I helped out the most had no idea how to even get to their airline web page. Most were elderly folks and veterans. One man even brought his grandson with him. I could have gotten drunk sitting there as people were offering me drinks. I declined except for one lady brought me a glass of water. I enjoyed doing it for those people, and I would do it again if given the chance....and I have done it in the past.

THANK YOU! I read this after my last post, but the rude comments did not come from you, they were from other posters. I understand perfectly now.

Carnival offers different internet speeds for different prices:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

I have been on both lines numerous times and I would be hard pressed to say that Princess internet beats Carnival..

Having used the Carnival Value plan package, I found the following:

o Speed for this package was no better than Princess speeds

o Some web sites (for example trying to look at a magazine article) were rejected as the system thought they required the Premium Plan.

o Main benefit was that I could stay connected as long as I wanted without worrying about running out of minutes.

By the way, there are package rates if signing up for the entire cruise instead of doing it on a daily basis. Much less expensive than the daily rates listed above.

I just stumbled across this article from October 2015 that kinda confirms why I felt the Internet service on-board Princess ships was years behind the marketplace it sails in. Other cruise lines recognize the lifestyle needs of not only millennials but "us" as well.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/15/cruise-ships-tech-wifi/

Edited by MTJSR

It's 2016 and every time I cruise Princess, I get the impression (as I watch 100 minutes disappear while logging on/off) that there MUST be better wifi systems available considering the massive cruise ships being used by other lines.

I ran across a Crew Notice that spelled out their personal use of the internet which I attached below. I find it interesting they are required to avoid our higher use times, which might indicate a more delicate system.

So...anyone know if Princess is years behind or at the forefront and that's just as good as it can be:eek:

Internet access is available to crew members on all ships, either at the crew Internet Café or via Wi-Fi on your personal computer or mobile device. Portholes, our company intranet, and other Princess websites are accessible for free. However, there is a small, per-megabyte fee for general access to the Internet. Discounts are available during while ships are in port and during off-peak hours.

Internet access on board is provided via long-range satellite; so bandwidth is limited and data transmissions are slower than on land. Many of our ports in Alaska and the Caribbean have land-based antennas to provide faster connections when the ship is near these ports.

Please consider the following tips for better performance of the crew Wi-Fi network:

.Use the Internet at night when passengers are not online.

.Use the Internet while in port to take advantage of land-based connections, where offered.

.Avoid using the Internet on the first and last days of an itinerary when passengers are most often online.

.Load only one application or website at a time, with no other Web browser tabs/windows open, downloads in progress, or Web applications running.

.Avoid using the Internet when the ship is in heavy rain or snow.

.Disable automatic app or software updates of your computer and devices.

.Limit use of video calling services and other applications that use higher amounts of data.

.Use the low-bandwidth, mobile, or text-only versions of favorite websites.

For help and more information about the Crew Internet Service, please speak with the Internet Cafe Manager.

We did 1 cruise on the Regal. A 14 day B2B back in Feb. We normally do Cunard/Celebrity. Without a doubt the fastest internet hookups were on Princess. Outside of the usual pax who can't seem to navigate even the basics(and I'm basic!)It was easy & very fast. Not as fast as at home, but still way better than Cunard/Celebrity by far. Now mind you, this was on the Regal, which is the current flagship(until the Majestic, based in china comes along)I think it just has the most up to date equipment.

The new internet on the Emerald is fantastic and felt like it is on land. The Royal's still sucks. I could use it reasonable well on my iPhone, but DH couldn't use his Android without propping open our stateroom door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just stumbled across this article from October 2015 that kinda confirms why I felt the Internet service on-board Princess ships was years behind the marketplace it sails in. Other cruise lines recognize the lifestyle needs of not only millennials but "us" as well.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/15/cruise-ships-tech-wifi/

Princess is the new Holland America. Their passenger base is ageing and technology is not that important to their target customers. Their brain dead Princess@Sea messaging app with no push notification is a perfect example of them not needing to provide usable technology to their target market

RCL/Celebrity/Carnival all cater to a younger customer base and to families with children so technology is more important to their demographics.

Princess is the new Holland America. Their passenger base is ageing and technology is not that important to their target customers. Their brain dead Princess@Sea messaging app with no push notification is a perfect example of them not needing to provide usable technology to their target market

RCL/Celebrity/Carnival all cater to a younger customer base and to families with children so technology is more important to their demographics.

I'm 58 and technology is still important to me.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

I'm 58 and technology is still important to me.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

Still important but not extremely important to you. If it was, you'd cruise a line with functional mobile apps and high speed internet that doesn't charge you by the minute but by the profile of your data usage. :D

Don't worry, eventually Princess will copy what all the other cruise lines are doing

The new internet on the Emerald is fantastic and felt like it is on land. The Royal's still sucks. I could use it reasonable well on my iPhone, but DH couldn't use his Android without propping open our stateroom door.

There are two issues here.

One is the speed of the Internet on the ship which in general is considered to be slow on all Princess ships.

The other is how good is the signal in your cabin. On the Royal you were apparently in a cabin with a poor signal. That has happened to us on multiple ships on multiple cruise lines.