Coastal kitchen with non-suite companions?

• 4 years later...

14 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

It sounds like guests were welcome with a suite passenger in the Coastal Kitchen.  

Inconsistent.  You can always ask but understand by policy the answer may be no.  Quantum class may yield a different experience compared to Oasis class where the CK trends busier.

I managed to do it on Anthem as a solo in a JS.  I "consume" a table so the impact of having a guest across from me was negligible to the CK load.  I didn't do it every night, just 2 of 11 nights.

The CK manager will have awareness how loaded the CK is on any given day at any given hour.  You might have better luck off peak or you may have no luck at all.  

If you are thinking family or friends in a non-suite can join you in the CK for the entirety of the cruise you will likely be disappointed.  Slipping them in for 1 dinner mid-cruise if you ask the CK manager before showing up with them might yield better success but there is no way to know.  

Edited by twangster

Thanks for the info.  My family will be sailing star class and I have been told by others that having guests in the Coastal Kitchen will not be a problem.  These guests halve already purchased the unlimited dining package so it is not an issue for trying to get a free meal rather just that we might like to eat together.  Sounds like I will have to chat with our Genie and the host or hostess before we commit to bringing them along.

On 6/27/2016 at 11:55 AM, cello56 said:

My personal feeling is that no, non suite guests should not be allowed to dine in Coastal Kitchen. Here is my reason.

Guest A books a balcony and is not allowed to eat at CK.

Guest B books the exact same class of balcony, and because he happens to have friends on board staying in a suite, he IS allowed to dine at CK.

To me that just does not seem fair to Guest A. Why should he be denied a perk, just because he does not have friends in expensive cabins? If it is a perk for suite guests, then that is who should be allowed to dine there. Just as I am not allowed to bring my Platinum friends into the Diamond lounge with me, so too should CK be for those who have earned/paid for the privilege.

But .... that does not appear to be the rules that RCI currently have implemented, so who am I to say? Their ship and their rules.

P.S. We have only ever stayed in two suites, so I am not trying to be exclusionary.

I would add that if you book a JS you are only allowed in coastal kitchen on a as space available basis. So adding extra guests has a good chance that someone in a JS cant dine there.

Though I personally dont care. And who knows how crowded during covid and double pts, since more are tending toward suites of any kind and balconies for fresh air. JS on my next cruise sold out immediately when double pts announced. 

10 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

My family will be sailing star class ...

Star Class is another matter.  Once you are trading emails with your Genie ask them.  Genie powers can vary ship by ship but it's a reasonable request for Star Class guests.

However since everyone has the UDP you'll want to look over the CK menus that cycle on different nights.  Everyone's food tastes are different but I find some CK menus less appealing some nights versus other nights.  Many nights I would definitely desire to be in specialty venues.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuck586 said:

Thanks for the info.  My family will be sailing star class and I have been told by others that having guests in the Coastal Kitchen will not be a problem.  These guests halve already purchased the unlimited dining package so it is not an issue for trying to get a free meal rather just that we might like to eat together.  Sounds like I will have to chat with our Genie and the host or hostess before we commit to bringing them along.

When we cruised in Star Class we brought 2 family members that were not Star Class into CK.  The Genie mentioned it during emails before the cruise.

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Who has access to CK once we resume sailing is unknown. They may have to limit availability to ensure social distancing. Don’t be surprised if JS’s lose access. 

We could start a whole other thread discussing this. Who might be excluded when sailing resumes. Lol 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

If I had the ultimate dinning package I would definitely not eat dinner in CK.

Dinning package or not, we enjoy the casual atmosphere of the CK over most all other dinning opportunities other that WJ (and a couple more like Dog Stand and Sorrento’s). 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

2 hours ago, George C said:

If I had the ultimate dinning package I would definitely not eat dinner in CK.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Dinning package or not, we enjoy the casual atmosphere of the CK over most all other dinning opportunities other that WJ (and a couple more like Dog Stand and Sorrento’s). 

M8

ACK!  MY EYEBALLS, you two.  UGH UGH UGH.

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

For us, the CK is far too casual for a suites dining room compared to other cruise lines. The bare tables and tacky placemats make you feel that you are in a corner diner and not a restaurant. THe food is o.k., but we prefer the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For us, the CK is far too casual for a suites dining room compared to other cruise lines. The bare tables and tacky placemats make you feel that you are in a corner diner and not a restaurant. THe food is o.k., but we prefer the specialty restaurants. 

We do not care to dress up anymore. I wear long pants and a collared shirt but that’s it. I’ll rent a Tux onboard if needed. 

M8

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Agree Celebrity Luminae is so much better than CK for both food and service, on our oasis cruise a couple of years ago we had dinner first two nights in CK then rest of the cruise we did specialty. On Celebrity we do most meals in Luminae.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:30 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

We do not care to dress up anymore. I wear long pants and a collared shirt but that’s it. I’ll rent a Tux onboard if needed. 

M8

I agree.  I wear a suit to work.  I prefer to where shorts when I am on vacation but will put on long pants for dinner!  That's about as dressed up as I like to get.  

• Like 2

The first time we had access  to CK, we  found it to be much more casual than the MDR.   We were surprised.     We like CK  but move around  and also  use  the  MDR and specialty restaurants.  

Back to the  question at hand, it appears that if many bring guests that are generally not eligible to eat  in CK,  then that takes up space  so eligible passengers such  as suite guests,  pinnacles and JS  (dinner) will not be able to get  a reservation . 

No one knows what the procedures will be when/if sailing resumes. 

M

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 1:26 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Who has access to CK once we resume sailing is unknown. They may have to limit availability to ensure social distancing. Don’t be surprised if JS’s lose access. 

Good Point, CK may even have less tables and capacity available then in past and this may go on for a while

• Like 1