The bad and the ugly

onthegogirl

Have you every felt that there was a black cloud hanging over your head. That is my experience on this Maasdam cruise. If some thing could go wrong, it has or probably will.

This is one of the the last three ships on Holland American that I have been on and is the worse cruise experience in the 15 years I have been cruising.

Obviously my first mistake was to accept an upsell offer to a Neptune Suite. It was a lot of money but I am also celebrating also a landmark birthday and I had persuaded my DH to join me ( not an easy sell). There were lots of perks listed as sport of the Neptune Suite but .......

First, there were our priority luggage tags. We were early to arrive at the pier in Seattle and hand over our bags. We were the very first group to embark. Our stateroom was ready but it was after sail away when we spotted our bag in front of the wrong door at the end of the hall.

OK, ship happens. We noticed that there was a crack in one of the windows but obviously ships personnel noticed and marked it so I did not mention it. The concierge in the Neptune Lounge offered me a free massage because of the inconvenience (?) and that was lovely.

Checked my bill and the CCL shareholders OBC was missing. The company insists that it is included in my Travel Agents Invoice. Since she has no way of knowing what my stock holdings are and I had contacted CCL directly this is obviously wrong. We're not talking chump change here.

The amenities for a suite include binoculars for our use. It did not say that we would have to share one pair. If I had known that I would have brought a second from home where they all sit in a drawer. OK, not the end of the world.

On the second day, a sea day, the CruiseCritic M&G was scheduled in the explorers lounge because there was square dancing in the Crow's Nest. No issue there except that the daily program listed an acupuncture lecture at the same time. Confusion, confusion.

After the M&G ended around twelve, my DH and I went to the Lido for lunch. When we went back to the stateroom to relax after 1:00, the room had not been made up. It was not attended to until I finally complained to Guest services.

Pressing that we sent out yesterday was delivered at 5:30 tonight. Thank goodness we didn't have early seating at dinner of DH would have made an appearance in jeans.

All in all this cruise has been a big disappointment. Don't know what is going on on the proud ship Maasdam but it isn't pretty. I was thinking of doing the circumnavigation of AU next year on this ship. That will not be happening. And all this fun only cost us $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Except for not getting credit for your stock, I think I would just chalk up everything else to ship happens. To me, at least, it doesn't sound so bad. Hopefully, you will feel the same way as the cruise continues.:)

I can't help with all of your many concerns, but I can recommend that you make use of one of the major perks of a Neptune suite, which is the services of the Neptune lounge concierges. They are there to take care of problems you may experience, including billing, laundry, appointments, housekeeping issues, arrangements for private parties, etc etc. Have you had a discussion with them as to your expectations and concerns? You might even ask them if there's an extra pair of binoculars somewhere on the ship that you could use. I have found, in my experience, that the Neptune lounge concierges pretty much take care of all my needs. Hopefully, that will be the case for you as well.

Have never heard of priority bag tags. Have sailed 8 cruises on HAL, all in suites, including 2 in in the PS. Something new?

Binoculars? Always had one pair. Never been promised 2. Never expected 2. Stock owners OBC? Did you bring any documentation of the awarding. The confirmation from HAL would have solved all this.

I think you are over thinking this. Pressing arrived at 5:30....can't see a problem there. Cracked window? Can't say when it happened, but not sure how much spare glass HAL just carries around. Obviously the crew was aware of it.

Sorry, imho, some relatively minor issues...

Edited by CruiserBruce

Sometimes we get the feeling that certain folks expect something very special in a Neptune Suite...other then the usual Neptune Lounge, Concierge, and a few other amenities. So lets analyze the OP's complaints. The luggage issue is unfortunate, but a minor screw up by whoever delivered luggage. No harm other then a slight inconvenience. A single pair of binoculars is the norm (not just on HAL). Nowhere will you find HAL suggesting otherwise. A cracked window is really a bummer, but it does happen (we have seen in on HAL and at least one other cruise line) and it can take weeks (or months) to obtain some custom made windows.

As to the shareholder credit, we have had the same problem on HAL, Celebrity and RCI. When the line fails to give you the credit, it is normally just a matter of a simple visit to Guest Relations (or to the Concierge if in a Neptune Suite) to get it resolved. But we have learned, the hard way, to always carry a copy of our paperwork (including our FAX to the cruise line requesting the Stockholder Credit). We also request a confirming e-mail from the cruise line (HAL normally sends this to us within hours after our request) which we take along on the cruise. If there is a problem with the credit, that confirmation e-mail resolves the problem in minutes. These procedures do not change based on cabin category.

As to not having the suite made-up by 1......we are in total agreement with the OP! But among HAL cut-backs has been assigning more cabins per staff member (not sure if this is actually the case with Neptune Suites) which results in slower cleaning service. In fairness to the cabin stewards, they now have more responsibilities...and it takes a longer part of the day for them to complete all their cleaning. In a Neptune Suite, a private friendly conversation with the cabin steward or the Concierge should resolve that situation.....but when paying the big bucks for a Suite...one should not have to even have that conversation.

As to scheduling conflicts (the fault of the Cruise Director) we have seen such problems on multiple cruises (and cruise lines). Ship happens.....but we do think that in the past 2 years more problems do seem to happen. But one might want to consider the cut-back in staffing of the CD's department which has left the CD trying to do more with a fraction of the staff previously provided.

Hank

There has not been anything good to go along with the bad and the ugly? :confused:

One would hope the good is that they are on a cruise celebrating a special event and have indulged in a suite.

The disappointments do put a damper on the celebrations, but in the end, it's a cruise, with gorgeous scenery, and meals you do not have to shop for, cook or clean up after. To me that's the biggest good thing of all!!

Other than the missing OBC everything you mention would not bother me in the least. No part of life is perfect or without issues. Why should a cruise be any different?

Daisyloo I agree with you on this & honestly don't see anything that I would become upset about.. Small inconveniences, but I've been on many different lines & have travelled extensively.. None of these things would bother me with the exception of the OBC, but that too can be corrected & handled by the Concierge.. I also always carry my paperwork for the OBC with me..

Edited by serendipity1499

Perhaps the OP lost the shareholder credit because of the upsell. Not sure how it works on HAL but on the Royal Caribbean cruise lines the shareholder credit isn't combinable with other specials.

Sounds a lot like things that have occasionally happened to us too. Including the cracked glass in the "upgraded" (aka not full price) Neptune Suite. Never found any of them to be deal breakers however.

Sorry it added up to a poor experience in the OP's mind however. HAL marketing needs to drill back customer "excellence" expectations and just promise a good cruise with nice service. HAL rarely goes wrong offering just that.

We always plan on a 48 turnaround for laundry, unless one requests and pays for their express service. However, more typically is a same day or 24 hour turnaround when we are in a Neptune Suite but we still plan on a 48 hour delay just to play it safe.

Edited by OlsSalt

Sorry that your cruise is off to a bad start.

We always take extra copies of all the shipboard credit that we are due. It is sent to us by our TA>

We stay in the PS and do get to the ship early. That is a miff about the priority luggage tags. Our luggage usually doesn't get to the cabin until after lifeboat drill. It is a rush to get everything put away before our early dinner.

When we do send out laundry, I put the bag on the bed so that when the stewards come in at 8 AM, they can take care of it. Laundry arrives back the next day around 5:30 -- after we have gone to dinner and while the stewards are making up the cabin for evening.

Hope the rest of your cruise will be better.

Have never heard of priority bag tags. Have sailed 8 cruises on HAL, all in suites, including 2 in in the PS. Something new?

Neptune Suites luggage is indeed marked priority now - at least our luggage has been for the last couple of cruises. First time I noticed it was for our Panama sailing in 2015 (the year I was surprising DH with the upsell). He noticed it right away and asked. I told a fib and said it was because we were 4*.

Perhaps the OP lost the shareholder credit because of the upsell. Not sure how it works on HAL but on the Royal Caribbean cruise lines the shareholder credit isn't combinable with other specials.

You don't lose OBC on HAL due to an upsell and you definitely don't lose shareholder credit because of an upsell ;)

If Seattle does not communicate with the ship properly, they are unaware of the OBC. I've had OBC missing once and produced my email and it was corrected.

I can't help with all of your many concerns, but I can recommend that you make use of one of the major perks of a Neptune suite, which is the services of the Neptune lounge concierges. They are there to take care of problems you may experience, including billing, laundry, appointments, housekeeping issues, arrangements for private parties, etc etc. Have you had a discussion with them as to your expectations and concerns? You might even ask them if there's an extra pair of binoculars somewhere on the ship that you could use. I have found, in my experience, that the Neptune lounge concierges pretty much take care of all my needs. Hopefully, that will be the case for you as well.

I agree with. Middleagedmom. Don't call housekeeping or other services. Go straight to the concierge (or call them).

They serve a multitude of roles for you and can help or escalate if need be.

It is a perk of the NS that is good to use most times ;)

For your room cleaning, have you talked to your stewards and explained that you would like the room cleaned by X time or between X and y time?

There has always been one pair of binoculars in the NS. Perhaps your concierge can arrange for another pair for you?

If these things are important to you, then address them in an effort to get them corrected. And enjoy that big balcony and the extra room.

Don't let the hiccups ruin your celebrations :)

A cruise is what you make of it. Have to say, once had the cruise from HXXX (not on HAL) where we: 1. ran aground in a harbor, 2. 1/2 of the ship had no AC at all including the dining room so we were told to wear what we wanted -the German large man in a speedo did not help with a pleasant experience, 3. at the captain's dinner they served lobster loaf, 4. our waiter put the make on a dinner guest at out table and got surly when rebuffed, 5. about 1/3 of the passengers did not speak English so had no clue what was happening most times.

BUT - we had a great time.

The cruise line has since gone out of business

Have you every felt that there was a black cloud hanging over your head. That is my experience on this Maasdam cruise. If some thing could go wrong, it has or probably will.

..snip..

Checked my bill and the CCL shareholders OBC was missing. The company insists that it is included in my Travel Agents Invoice. Since she has no way of knowing what my stock holdings are and I had contacted CCL directly this is obviously wrong. We're not talking chump change here.

..snip..

This is the only thing I wish to comment on. Your stockholder credit is part of the record provided to a Travel Agent. I have had more than one TA mention the credit after I transferred the cruise to them.

Comment on the "priority" baggage tags - we have had these on our last two cruises and like the OP, we were among the last ones to get our luggage, even though we were one of the first people at the port to checkin.

This Priority (in yellow on the the tag) is a joke to me - HAL should either make sure it works in the real world or stop printing it on the tags!

The stockholder credit is an important issue and we have never had trouble getting it applied o our account. We book through HAL and are able to see it on our invoices (even as much as a year ahead of time), so perhaps this is why it has not been a problem. As others have mentioned, it is a good idea to bring proof, either your invoice or a receipt by HAL for it.

Sory for those things that disappointed you.

Were there no great mements? anythingyou reallygENJOYED?

I have sailed dozens and dozens o f TIMES in and we always had pairf of vinnoculars. Where does somedoe sugeest t there will b e two?

Edited by sail7seas

Neptune Suites luggage is indeed marked priority now - at least our luggage has been for the last couple of cruises. First time I noticed it was for our Panama sailing in 2015 ...
We got them the first time on the N.A. in Dec '14, and I think they had just started doing it. I don't they made any difference in the delivery time.

Edited by jtl513

<<Have you every felt that there was a black cloud hanging over your head.>> Sure, the week my husband and I split up, my mom was diagnosed terminal cancer, I started a full time job after being a stay at home mom and my car died.

I appreciate that you must have high expectations from your celebratory trip and they aren't being met, but hopefully a pleasant chat with your concierge can help 'let the sun shine'.

As others have implied, don't sweat the small stuff. Things happen on a cruise. A bag will get delivered to the wrong cabin. Be thankful that you spotted it. I've heard of people whose bags were in the wrong cabin for a week before the people reported it.

We like to make our expectations clear with our cabin steward on the first day. Some are better at meeting them than others. It seems like HAL would want its best cabin stewards serving suites.

Enjoy your day in Ketchikan.

As others have implied, don't sweat the small stuff. Things happen on a cruise. A bag will get delivered to the wrong cabin. Be thankful that you spotted it. I've heard of people whose bags were in the wrong cabin for a week before the people reported it.

A quick tip about luggage. If you are in your cabin waiting for the steward to knock on your door and deliver your bags, check outside your door every once in awhile. Sometimes the bags are just sitting there. :D

Edited by kevingastreich

Assuming the OP does not have a copy with her, perhaps she can access her email, print out the confirmation received from HAL regarding the request for shipboard credit (since she dealt directly with HAL) and present it to Guest Relations??? That could relieve one of the concerns.

Dear Mrs. XXXXX,

Thank you for your request to have a shipboard credit applied to reservation(s) XXXX based on your status as a CCL stockholder. Holland America Line has applied the ship board credit of $250.00 USD to your booking and it will be credited to your onboard account upon embarkation. Please contact your travel agency for additional information.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

Kind Regards,

_________

Todd Worthington

World Cruise Reservations

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800 522 3399

Assuming the OP does not have a copy with her, perhaps she can access her email, print out the confirmation received from HAL regarding the request for shipboard credit (since she dealt directly with HAL) and present it to Guest Relations??? That could relieve one of the concerns.

Dear Mrs. XXXXX,

Thank you for your request to have a shipboard credit applied to reservation(s) XXXX based on your status as a CCL stockholder. Holland America Line has applied the ship board credit of $250.00 USD to your booking and it will be credited to your onboard account upon embarkation. Please contact your travel agency for additional information.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

Kind Regards,

_________

Todd Worthington

World Cruise Reservations

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800 522 3399

That would probably work if one actually received such a response. Only once have I received a confirmation email out of five or six requests to HAL. And yes, I've requested the confirmation every time I requested the credit.