Live from the Oasis--Woman Threatens to Kill Security Guards and Family in MDR

Eve

This!

Plus, when there is a crisis situation going on our sense of time changes dramatically. Things - like security or other help - arriving seems to take a lot longer. I can remember when I finally gave in and called 911 at 2am when I was having a pretty serious asthma attack - the first I'd had since I was a kid so I did not have an inhaler as the belief even with my doctor was that I'd outgrown it - and nothing that had worked when I was a kid to help my breathing was working. It seemed like it took the ambulance FOREVER to get there. But in reality it was only a few minutes.

One other thing to consider... Oasis is a really big ship. Unless there is a security officer stationed at every door or corner, they have to travel from wherever they are to get there. It could take a couple of minutes at least. Add to that time seeming to warp when a crisis is going on, and it probably did seem like a long time.

A very logical reply. A rare sighting on CC these days.

I speak with first hand experience- I've been in law enforcement for 13 years now.

It is not uncommon for us to get sent to a call only to be faced with some unhappy customer raving about how long it took. One time, after the situation had calmed down someone from the DYKWIA club chose to lambaste me about our response time. Within ear shot, I radioed my dispatcher and asked what time the call was received. 1445hrs. I then asked what time the first units arrived ( Emergency Services agencies keep track of this stuff) 1447hrs. 2 minutes. This shut the mouthpiece up in a hurry.

I get it, when you call 911 you want the help to arrive yesterday.. but sometimes we are at the other end of our jurisdiction ( or ship, in this case). Sometimes we are on another call. Hell, sometimes we might be finishing up in the bathroom.

I agree with other posts. The ideal scenario is when help arrives, they are able to talk the person down and deescalate the situation.

Unfortunately, especially when there are external factors such as drug, alcohol, and mental illness involved- verbal deescalation might not be possible. Regardless of what the media and the protest des jour activists groups will have you believe, using force is never our first option but sometimes it is unavoidable.

I've many times dealt with similar situations albeit in a bar not an MDR where you try to reason with the drunk who is causing a disturbance. Eventually, the drunk refuses to leave and you are obligated to remove them so that other patrons/passengers can enjoy their evening. There is a great probability that the person who is impaired by drugs, alcohol, or mental illness will not want to go willingly and will fight the police to resist such a relocation.

All in all, it sounds like RCI did a fine job in a tense situation.

I would ask that until you've done the job of policing/security that you refrain from commenting and critiquing. There are many more factors at play in a situation like that you are likely not aware of.

I would ask that until you've done the job of policing/security that you refrain from commenting and critiquing. There are many more factors at play in a situation like that you are likely not aware of.

"Like" all your reply, but in the interest of "scrolling down" I've left only the last sentence. Well said :)

"Like" all your reply, but in the interest of "scrolling down" I've left only the last sentence. Well said :)

Thank you.

This is what I do for a living. I'm well trained in verbal judo, deescalation tactics, negotiating, and lastly, use of force.

With all of my training and experience even I am very hesitant to Armchair Quarterback. No two situations are the same and no situation is perceived the same by two different Officers.

Entire incident caused me to question the efficiency of security on the Oasis.

No bystanders or staff injured. No serious injury to security. No serious injury to the person causing the problems. Said person walked out of the venue. Strikes me as incredibly efficient.

Speed should never be conflated with efficiency.

Imagine how much more disruption would have been caused had anyone been injured. Let alone the additional mountains of paper work and possibly delayed departure upon arrival while shore-side authorities did their jobs.

So true.

I love the way you told that story. I could really picture it. The guy never knew how close he came.

Yes! absolutely!

On the subject of air marshals: in this case their identity was obvious by their actions but I have always looked (without success) to see if I could identify any in the airport or on the plane. Always hoped they would be flying with me! Any tricks to IDing them?

Sorry but no. They looked like normal passengers; obviously fit. dressed in business/casual attire. I would not have been able to pick them out from the other pax. Not a word was spoken and I didn't see any obvious communication between them and the crew.

Unable to ascertain exactly what happened as not there but it appears that de-escalation was what security was trying to attempt to use. Imagine the uproar if security physically tried removing an inebriated woman without trying to talk her down first ... there'd be cell phone videos of the incident appearing all over the Internet.

I imagine the videos will start showing up anyway. It was mentioned the effect of the drink package, but the effect of the internet package is that we might start seeing things like this online. I'll start searching tomorrow.

A very logical reply. A rare sighting on CC these days.

I speak with first hand experience- I've been in law enforcement for 13 years now.

It is not uncommon for us to get sent to a call only to be faced with some unhappy customer raving about how long it took. One time, after the situation had calmed down someone from the DYKWIA club chose to lambaste me about our response time. Within ear shot, I radioed my dispatcher and asked what time the call was received. 1445hrs. I then asked what time the first units arrived ( Emergency Services agencies keep track of this stuff) 1447hrs. 2 minutes. This shut the mouthpiece up in a hurry.

I get it, when you call 911 you want the help to arrive yesterday.. but sometimes we are at the other end of our jurisdiction ( or ship, in this case). Sometimes we are on another call. Hell, sometimes we might be finishing up in the bathroom.

I agree with other posts. The ideal scenario is when help arrives, they are able to talk the person down and deescalate the situation.

Unfortunately, especially when there are external factors such as drug, alcohol, and mental illness involved- verbal deescalation might not be possible. Regardless of what the media and the protest des jour activists groups will have you believe, using force is never our first option but sometimes it is unavoidable.

I've many times dealt with similar situations albeit in a bar not an MDR where you try to reason with the drunk who is causing a disturbance. Eventually, the drunk refuses to leave and you are obligated to remove them so that other patrons/passengers can enjoy their evening. There is a great probability that the person who is impaired by drugs, alcohol, or mental illness will not want to go willingly and will fight the police to resist such a relocation.

All in all, it sounds like RCI did a fine job in a tense situation.

I could not agree more. I spent 17 years as an EMT, 8 of those as a firefighter, and my last 2 as a 911 dispatcher. I can't tell you how short 2 minutes seemed as a FF/EMT, and how long it seemed as a dispatcher - when I wasn't there to help that person, and was waiting for the units to arrive.

Constable -as you talked about those crazy complaints, I thought you would appreciate this story.

While off duty one night, there was a rollover crash right in front of my home. I went out with my trauma kit and crawled into the cab of the truck (that was on its roof) to stabilize and talk to the 40 y/o man who had just caused his fifth DUI. We had to close down the highway to extricate and land a helicopter. We had it all done in under an hour.

The next evening I was back in dispatch when this man called. Of course he had no idea who he was speaking to. He was calling to complain that we didn't call his parents from the scene. He was upset that he had to call them for a ride home from the hospital late that night, and said that we had plenty of time to call them. I just bit my tongue, took a message for the Sergeant and had to hang up without saying all of the things I SO wanted to say.

Edited by payitforward

No bystanders or staff injured. No serious injury to security. No serious injury to the person causing the problems. Said person walked out of the venue. Strikes me as incredibly efficient.

Speed should never be conflated with efficiency.

Imagine how much more disruption would have been caused had anyone been injured. Let alone the additional mountains of paper work and possibly delayed departure upon arrival while shore-side authorities did their jobs.

Hitting my imaginary "love" button here!

I could not agree more. I spent 17 years as an EMT, 8 of those as a firefighter, and my last 2 as a 911 dispatcher. I can't tell you how short 2 minutes seemed as a FF/EMT, and how long it seemed as a dispatcher - when I wasn't there to help that person, and was waiting for the units to arrive.

Constable -as you talked about those crazy complaints, I thought you would appreciate this story.

While off duty one night, there was a rollover crash right in front of my home. I went out with my trauma kit and crawled into the cab of the truck (that was on its roof) to stabilize and talk to the 40 y/o man who had just caused his fifth DUI. We had to close down the highway to extricate and land a helicopter. We had it all done in under an hour.

The next evening I was back in dispatch when this man called. Of course he had no idea who he was speaking to. He was calling to complain that we didn't call his parents from the scene. He was upset that he had to call them for a ride home from the hospital late that night, and said that we had plenty of time to call them. I just bit my tongue, took a message for the Sergeant and had to hang up without saying all of the things I SO wanted to say.

The level of arrogance is truly astounding. I think I would have had an all out fit when I hung up the phone - IF I'd managed to keep it together that long!!!! I'm mad right now and it didn't even happen to me!!!! Unbelievable!!! When he SHOULD be thinking about...oh, I don't know...maybe getting his LIFE together and not putting his parents in the position to HAVE to come get him, because next time they may be coming to IDENTIFY him...*grrrrrr* this really just...Gaaaaaaahhhhhh.

I have to laugh to keep from screaming. LOL!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I'd been there....not because I really wanted to see it, or would have done anything differently...just because that would mean I was currently on Oasis. :D

You have love to the DYKWIA crowd! New thread: "Best Answers to the Question: Don't You Know Who I Am?"

1.) I don't now, but the whole world will as soon as I post this video of you making an a$$ of yourself.

2.) I'm sure you're famous in your village, but this particular location has more than one idiot.

3.) The woman who's about to be fired for the black eye you just gave the company.

4.) Someone who obviously needs a new publicist.

5.) No, but I'm hoping you earn enough for bail money.

Tee hee

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The OP said that security took a long time to arrive. That had to be disconcerting when you are around someone throwing silverware.

My favorite story in response to the Don't You Know question was an airline ticket counter employee who supposedly got on the P.A. system and said "I need some help here. This man doesn't know who he is."

With their sense of wicked humor, that must have been a Southwest Airlines employee[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I wasn't being serious when I said I would film her. If a situation like that were to come up where a drunk person in the dining room was throwing silverware at other people, I would tackle that person to the ground and hold them there until security arrived.

I could care less about her future at that moment. I would only care about the innocent people around her that were in danger of being severely injured.

A little girl just got killed by a elephant throwing a rock and it hitting her head. Throwing silverware could kill someone. I wouldn't care about anything other then getting her under control to stop her malicious behavior. In this day of video phones she reaps what her actions are. She is old enough to know bad behavior. No one needs to worry about protecting this woman from video being posted, it's the other passengers and the security people should worry about. Bless this woman's family for what they have to endure.

My favorite story in response to the Don't You Know question was an airline ticket counter employee who supposedly got on the P.A. system and said "I need some help here. This man doesn't know who he is."

I used to work with people with Alzheimer's and dementia, and we had a little joke about the family members who wouldn't come to visit more than once a year, and would go up to Meemaw or Auntie So-and-So and say "Do you know who I am?"

And the punchline there is the little old lady would point to the front desk clerk and say, "No. But if you go and ask her, she'll tell you who you are."

Possibly the unlimited beverage package increases the likelihood of this type of behavior, but it surely isn't the cause or it would be rampant on every ship, every day.

Some people become aggressive when they drink and verbally abusive, and don't do a good job of governing themselves in public.

Several years ago we went to New Orleans for a nice Christmas weekend getaway with another couple. They invited a third couple who they were friends with. We had an elegant Christmas Eve dinner booked at the Rib Room, and were surrounded by a very posh New Orleans crowd of diners. The third couple showed up late to the restaurant, and when they joined our table you could tell their was tension between them, and a few drinks had been consumed.

The wife was making hostile comments to her husband, he kept trying to placate her, and we all kept trying to lighten the conversation. She continued to drink and became louder and nasty to her husband. Around this time we started getting looks from other tables.

Our server noticed, and then the manager stopped by to see if "all was okay". This angered the wife, and things escalated at the table.

DH and I were mortified to be associated with this person.

It got louder and more awkward, and then came the "what the f*** are you looking at" and other insulting comments to nearby diners from her.

Around this time a well dressed man who identified himself as security came by the table and stooped down next to the woman and tried to have a discussion with her in a calm voice. He tried this tactic for several minutes with it sometimes working and sometimes not at all working. Finally he looked at her husband and said "I will be removing your wife from the restaurant so these other diners can enjoy their holiday dinner. Please stand up and walk out with us, and lets try to exit with as much dignity as we can." His voice was so calm and pleasant. And unbelievably, when security guy stood and reached to pull back wife's chair, and the husband stood, she got up and left with them with very minimal grumbling.

Of course, for the four of us left at the table, we had a very awkward completion of our dinner, and felt completely humiliated. At the time I felt angry at this lady, but later looked back on it with pity for her.

Edited by terry&mike
correction

The OP said that security took a long time to arrive. That had to be disconcerting when you are around someone throwing silverware."

The OP did not say the woman was throwing silverware. The woman made threats and silverware was removed by the waitstaff.

Main Seating: Obviously inebriated woman sitting in MDR at early seating began throwing silverware and yelling at family seated at adjacent table. F-bombs being screamed and the woman yells at the waitstaff that she's an executive with Intel and has two suites on the ship. Waitstaff attempts to contain her at which time she begins screaming that she will kill them and her family members if they don't leave her alone. Waitstaff begins scurrying to collect knives and silverware from all the tables in the area. Security takes a very long time to arrive and seems more concerned with trying to placate the screaming woman than they are with removing her from the dining room. Woman is led away screaming and security is overheard saying she will be turned over to the Sherriff's Deputies upon arrival in FLL in the morning. Guessing she's spending the night in the pokey.

Entire incident caused me to question the efficiency of security on the Oasis.

The OP did not say the woman was throwing silverware. The woman made threats and silverware was removed by the waitstaff.

Yes she did say she was throwing silverware