Paying for things when traveling

RNGALNG

Both my husband and I have two credit cards through our bank. One old and a brand new one. We have been with the same bank for many years. One card is used for emergencies and the second is used every day as we get rewards by using it. We hardly use cash and we pay both cards off every month.

I just returned from a week at a conference just two states away (only a 4 hour drive) for a week. The hotel charged my every day card upon arrival. Two days later, I went to buy something from one of the vendors and both cards were denied - frozen. No call or email from the bank. Because the card is in my name, I had to call and talk to the bank. Learned a lot about the bank and their rules. Apparently we are suppose to let them know where and when we will be out of 'zone' but no one seems to know what that 'zone' is.

Today we went into the bank to try and find out more. As responsible adults, who pay off their cards every month, have an alert to receive and email if our card has a charge made over $5, and are semiretired, we are expected to call them or fill out a form 24 hours in advance every time we go over state lines - a mer 45 minutes away. We asked what happens if we, as retired folks, decide to go for a drive, end up visiting friends on the spur of the moment, take them out to dinner. . .pick up the tab and our card is denied. How embarrassing that we would have to call the bank to get our card unfrozen! They said, that's how they now operate.

Needless to say, we are now looking for new ways to have credit so we can travel but not have to tell the banking world what and where we are going. We have closed the new accounts and now hold just the one card.

So, my questions. I know we can't share exact companies here, but maybe you can help us out anyway. We are all travelers here and someone must have come up with the best way to carry credit without having to tell them every time you cross state lines.

1. Do you carry a couple of credit cards?

2. With banks or another company?

3. Prepaid credit cards?

4. Cash?

5. Other forms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both my husband and I have two credit cards through our bank. One old and a brand new one. We have been with the same bank for many years. One card is used for emergencies and the second is used every day as we get rewards by using it. We hardly use cash and we pay both cards off every month.

I just returned from a week at a conference just two states away (only a 4 hour drive) for a week. The hotel charged my every day card upon arrival. Two days later, I went to buy something from one of the vendors and both cards were denied - frozen. No call or email from the bank. Because the card is in my name, I had to call and talk to the bank. Learned a lot about the bank and their rules. Apparently we are suppose to let them know where and when we will be out of 'zone' but no one seems to know what that 'zone' is.

Today we went into the bank to try and find out more. As responsible adults, who pay off their cards every month, have an alert to receive and email if our card has a charge made over $5, and are semiretired, we are expected to call them or fill out a form 24 hours in advance every time we go over state lines - a mer 45 minutes away. We asked what happens if we, as retired folks, decide to go for a drive, end up visiting friends on the spur of the moment, take them out to dinner. . .pick up the tab and our card is denied. How embarrassing that we would have to call the bank to get our card unfrozen! They said, that's how they now operate.

Needless to say, we are now looking for new ways to have credit so we can travel but not have to tell the banking world what and where we are going. We have closed the new accounts and now hold just the one card.

So, my questions. I know we can't share exact companies here, but maybe you can help us out anyway. We are all travelers here and someone must have come up with the best way to carry credit without having to tell them every time you cross state lines.

1. Do you carry a couple of credit cards?

2. With banks or another company?

3. Prepaid credit cards?

4. Cash?

5. Other forms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not unusual for credit card companies to freeze cards when they spot something unusual. Can be either outside of your normal area or even a different pattern of use. Especially if the change is something that might indicate fraud.

For example I had a card get frozen because I purchase gas at a Walmart and coffee at Starbucks when I was out of state. My cards will send me both an email and a text if something triggers their possible fraud alert. I just have to acknowledge that the charges are valid and the card becomes active again.

I always notify the card companies if I am traveling out of the country.

Exactly--the credit card companies use different algorithms to decide when to freeze a card, but the usual is anything out of your normal pattern. I've learned to call them before a big charge (like a computer). Never had a problem with travel within the US, but I do travel a fair amount so that is not out of my normal. I also notify them when I'll be out of the US. I have 2 cards from a bank that I've banked with for many years. If going internationally, I carry a bit of the country's currency that I've purchased in advance.

The "rules" are different for everyone depending on your normal patterns.

If you have a prepaid card, that's not a problem. It doesn't carry the protections of a lost or stolen credit card, but it also isn't tracked in the same way.

None of my credit cards need any notice when traveling anywhere in the USA.

They do require notice when the card will be used for travel outside of the USA.

In your case I would look for credit cards from a bank that will not deny your use of the card when traveling in the USA. There are many no fee credit cards that will fit this category.

If you expect to be doing travel outside of the USA, then look for a card that has no fees added for transactions in a foreign country. Many cards have such fees ranging from 1% to 3% of the amount charged. Credity cards that do not have such fees include the Princess Visa card and credit/debit cards from CapitalOne.

When my DH and I travel to Europe we are gone 3 to 4 weeks. This is what we do as we have had cards frozen when traveling to China. So we are now very careful!

First - yes absolutely when we travel outside our normal area of use we DO call the credit card issuers and give them our dates & places. ALWAYS..

2 - we carry two different cards each. That's 4 different cards. If my DH wallet gets stolen we still have the two cards that I carry. This happened in Barcelona 3 yrs ago.

These cards are issued by 2 different banks and we never ever carry a balance and yes do use our preferred loyalty card for miles. The other cards are for emergencies.

3 - ATM cards for Europe once again we have 2 accts that we use for traveling only and are at 2 different banks. In case one banks system goes down we gave a back up source to get cash in Europe when we need it. Depending on the length of the trips and our plans we leave about $2000 emergency cash in each Acct. Do we spend it all??? No but if we ever need fast cash in an emergency we can get it!

Once again different banks and neither Acct is one we use for every day bills.

3 - we do get $250 or so in Euros (or currency we will need on landing) at our bank before leaving our home town. Other will say just use an ATM in the airport but I'm too tired after a 15 hr travel day and don't want to Find an ATM.

Last we call the bank even if we go to Hawaii. We have had cards stopped too often not to make a phone call or 6 :)

This works for us and I'm sure others have systems that work for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bank of America stopped a TV purchase ($750) at Walmart. Boy was hubby pissed. When I called the fraud dept when we got home they said it was not our normal spending pattern. Ok so I never had shopped at Walmart but that was exactly their issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was very upset a year ago when a chase card I used regularly was rejected at a local restaurant and yet a second chase card in my spouses name was OK. Called them and was told of a series of suspicious charges that had occurred out of my area which led them to freeze the first card. When I tracked it further I was certainly glad they had been diligent.

Always carry at least 2 CCs as well as multiple ATM cards when overseas. On port days we usually each carry a different CC and ATM so should we lose a wallet or purse we still have a backup

Lots of good advice here.

We also carry separate credit cards, one issued by our bank, the second one that I tend to use for business travel. We also have a separate debit cards linked to two travel accounts - his and hers - that we effectively pre-charge from our main account before travelling.

We always set up a travel plan with the banks (never authorising our main debit card for overseas travel). Just like a previous poster, we also have text and email alerts set up.

We always carry a little foreign currency split between the two of us - the first ATM may be a taxi or transit ride away.

I've never had my CC blocked when making a purchase in the US - be it the East Coast, Alaska or Hawaii (haven't tried the US Virgin Islands yet), although I often chuckle that if I drive ~3 hours south I need to warn my bank in advance!

Safe travels!

To the OP: I carry three different credit cards almost all the time. They all have active fraud departments and have different reactions to what they consider fraud. The card from my military bank will text me to see if the charge is legit. Princess has an affinity card from BarclayUS and they just freeze the card but give points to redeem OBC or cruise discounts. I have a Citicard that has the best fraud department that will call me. I have had that card for 20 years.

I use my CitiBank card when traveling and like saxdriver, they will call whenever they detect anything unusual, even if it's a charge near home.

Last year, I'd taken a 2-week cruise to Hawaii and didn't use the card to charge anything. Unusual for me. Since I wasn't traveling internationally, I hadn't called them. Three days later, I did a BVE in San Pedro and used the card to pay for parking for five hours--the first time I'd used the card in weeks. I got home and a few minutes later, got a call from the Fraud Department asking if I'd just charged over $250 at Von's (a supermarket.) I told them I hadn't and out of curiosity, asked which Von's. San Pedro. Wow! The parking fee collector stole my credit card! I now pay cash and will never use a credit card to park there again.

Both DH and I have multiple credit cards, have never rotated any as we pay in full every month. Whenever we travel more than 100 miles beyond our zip code, we contact the CC companies and our bank to alert them of potential ATM use. The only card that I had problems with was AMEX that was also a Bloomingdales card. They blocked my access when I attempted to pay for an extra piece of luggage and when I called them, the CS rep insisted I didn't live where their records indicated and I bought my house in the early '60's. I told her wrong town, wrong street and way back then, I was still in grade school. She refused to acknowledge the billing address as correct. Easier to cancel.

We have Discover, Chase, and Barclay World Travel and Jet Blue. Each card has perks/points/benefits that meet our needs. The nice part of the cards from Barklay - one account, but DH and I have different last 4 digit numbers, so if one card is compromised, lost or stolen, the other card is OK.

Darcy

A few years back, like you, we learned about notifying the banks prior to travel. What doesn't seem mentioned here is that we also had to notify them if we travelled outside of our state.

We just automatically go online to our banks prior to a trip now and do that. Less of a nuisance all around.

As bothersome as it all is, I think they are trying to protect our credit.

A good thing turned out from all of this for us. We learned our credit cards carried foreign transaction fees, not only on purchases made but the banks themselves charged $3.00 per use.

Now we have a new credit card with no foreign transaction fees and it makes a big difference

We have multiple credit cards also, None of them restrict travel to anywhere but do want us to notify them of any large purchases or lengthly travel. I would not use a card that required me to notify them 24 hours before traveling to the next state. That is being too restrictive and as you say embarassing if they deny your card for being outside some undefined zone. That card would met the scissors and that bank would have two less customers. Yes they all have fraud departments and I am glad they do but that is ridiculous.

We never notified the CC companies when we traveled all over the world. Never had a problem.

So in 2011 DW and son went to Italy to visit family so we decided to notifiy Amex/Visa who issued 2 of the cards they were taking.

When they attempted to purchase Italy Rail tickets from the RR in Milan on Amex the charge was denied. :(

They used the Visa and had no issues.

You just don't know what they are going to do when you travel away from your home and charge. Any little thing could trip their systems to deny a purchase or raise red flags. :rolleyes:

Like others have noted, we each carry two different credit cards in case one gets stolen or hacked. We notify the credit card company before we leave, too. We list every country we're visiting and the states we might be in pre-cruise. For example, next month we're driving to Newark to catch a flight for our Baltic/ TA, and we'll be stopping at gas stations/restaurants along the way. I do it online, and it only takes a few minutes.

All this does is to lessen the chance your card will be frozen. I almost look at being hacked as a matter of "when it will happen", not "if". Our cards have been hacked in London/UK more than half of the times we've been there. Often, months after the trip we get notification of unusual charges, and they've always been from London.

First I try never do business with banks if I can help it. I deal with credit unions where I get better service and better rates. I do have a few bank card with reward programs. They are OK as long as you pay them off each month.

I do have a Princess Visa. They blocked my account while I was on a Princess Ship even after I called them and told them I would be on a cruise. Go Figure! Other than that one I never had a problem with the Princess Visa.

I always call every credit card company whose card I will be taking as a precaution with the exception of American Express which does not require it last time I tried to call them.

We take several credit cards just in case we lose one and store the extras in the cabin's safe. I also record their numbers and phone numbers etc.

You need cash. I take small bills no more than twenties. You need ones and fives for tips small purchases and taxis/buses were they accept dollars.

For local currency I use the ATM but not at ports or airports if I can help it.

Now that the US credit cards have chips European transaction problems are solved. I had problems years ago in railroad stations using a card without a chip. Now all my cards have chips.

I do prepay ship expenses. I just call Princess and buy OBCs It is always good to start a cruise knowing that 90% has been paid for.

Now that the US credit cards have chips European transaction problems are solved. I had problems years ago in railroad stations using a card without a chip. Now all my cards have chips.

Last September we couldn't get train tickets in Rotterdam because while we had a chip card it didn't have a pin #.

I always notify the card companies if I am traveling out of the country.

I'll periodically get an email from one of my card's company, and asks that I call to verify some recent purchases. I don't know what the trigger(s) is/are, as my purchases weren't anywhere high end, nor were they out of my area of residence. I simply verify the purchases as mine and we both go merrily along our own ways. It hadn't occurred to me to use that card before I called, just to see if my card was frozen or not. My bank's Visa card purchases has never been questioned, even when I hadn't called to advise them I'd be out of the US.

Edited by Treven

I had my Chase card dinged. They contacted me when there were three small online purchases I a row. Apparently that's what thrives will do, try a couple 1-5 dollar charges and if they go through go for something larger. I got text and email. Said nope not me and got issued a new card. Glad fraud worked.

For travel I always notify the company and take my bank card for cash.

I have multiple cards with no foreign transaction fees (fabulous) and recently got a new one-another chase- that gave me major bonus points for paying my cruise on it. They'll "pay" for my next flight [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would prefer that the credit card people be overly cautious than overly negligent. We have had cards turned down a couple of times in situations where we could not figure out why. If it happens, just call the credit card company on their 800 number and they will unfreeze it. Really easy.

DON

Traveling outside the US or even to somewhere like Hawaii or Alaska I notify my credit card people in advance. I have had unusual charges on a Discover card in the past and they immediately sent email, texted, and called to ask if the charges were legit. Twice the charges were not mine and I was told to shred the card and that a new one would be sent to me. Once I had actually ordered a large sink for my kitchen remodel and told them the charge was mine. In none of the cases was my card frozen without notice.

It is so easy now for thieves that there will be no way around this issue. We travel a lot so if we go to Vegas or San Diego ( 2-4 hr drives) I don't call because they know that is a regular thing. When I went to Alaska on a cruise out of Seattle I notified them. You can call or put a trip alert on line. It's not that hard. I wouldn't be embarrassed if they denied it because it isn't because you are over your limit it is because they are trying to prevent fraud. I've had about three different items stopped because of the fraud department. In the states this is easy since you can just take out your phone and call to resolve it. It's more important to let them know when you are out of the country because it isn't as easy to make a phone call.

I have gotten emails and phone calls when we make large purchases (computer) so they are trying to prevent you and them from liability. I've had my card denied a few times for various reasons, none of which was lack of funds, so no need to be embarrassed.

We always carry more than one credit card and two ATM cards when we travel. We notify our credit card companies when we are leaving the country but don't normally notify them for shorter trips.

That said, I have never been able to figure out what triggers a fraud alert. I have had a charge declined for a hotel room that was three hours from my home, yet the same company approved a $6500 fraudulent charge for a telephone transaction for purchase of solar water heating pump equipment. Go figure! I have noticed lately that Chase will send me a text message asking if a charge belongs to me if it is at all questionable. When I purchased Grand Prix tickets online a few months ago they texted me to verify the charge before approving it.

I've travelled extensively since the late 60's. My first employer supplied me with an American Express Card to 'automate' my expense account. It worked great then and still does now. I got a personal card as soon as I qualified. I've carried one ever since. I've had cards stolen, lost, burned, mangled, and forged. Never had a problem with AmX fixing whatever problem there was. I either went to their offices or subscriber bank for any problems or if i needed cash. I've conducted business with them via Telex, phone, snail mail, and now email and test. I bought a Land Rover in Peru, paid rent in Crete, and paid hospital bills in Korea with it among the thousands of expenses I used it for. I've rarely had it declined, mostly because it wasn't accepted by the business.

Yup, it has a fee. Yup, if I don't pay it off every month the interest is high. And yup, when I'm in a jam, they are there to help and I don't need to call them anymore when I travel. I feel I'm getting what I pay for.