Sleeping under a Pullman Bed?

We just sailed on our first cruise on the Oasis and loved it! So now I am planning a cruise in April on Freedom of the Seas. The itinerary and ship look great but I am worried about the cabin.

I would like to book an E3 (small balcony room on deck 6) for the 3 of us - me, husband and 10 yo daughter. She would love to sleep in the pullman bed but I'm not so sure about my husband. He is tall, gets up in the middle of the night and is very particular.

Does anyone have any experience with sleeping under the pullman bed?

Thank you for your help. I have learned so much from reading this forum!

Does anyone have any experience with sleeping under the pullman bed?

Thank you for your help. I have learned so much from reading this forum!

We've had many cabins with a pullman. If someone is tall, heavy, elderly, overly restless or needs several bathroom visits during the night then this is not the bed for them.

Sleeping underneath the pullman is fine provided you remember that you are effectively sleeping on the 'bottom bunk' and that head space might be a problem when getting up. I personally feel that pullmans are best suited to children and the young and agile.

Waves away!

We were first-timers on RCCL (Serenade) at the end of May and had a 4person inside with the fold-down beds. I posted a pic of it, with the beds down:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368305

My sons, ages 14 and 23, slept "up top." We had a similar cabin on a Princess cruise a few years ago. DH is almost 6 feet tall and he didn't have any problems sleeping under the top bunk. Neither did I; in fact, I think it's kind of cozy and I'm borderline claustrophic. I have to get up a time or two every night too, but it wasn't a problem.

It's been a long time, but had a room once with one Pullman down. The main bed was made up as the king/queen. I seem to remember one side of the main bed was not directly under the Pullman. Kind of depended on which side of the bed you slept on; hope that makes sense!

If only CB would return to a thread a second time to see the multitude of comments regarding their posts.....:rolleyes:

Never gonna happen. I think a whole new thread would be started if CB ever came back to answer someone.

Yeah, with only one bed down it's not terrible for the person on the other side. We were just in a cabin with our 9 year old who loved sleeping on the upper bunk, I was on the side of the bed below her and my husband on the other side. He would have no trouble coming to bed late, or getting up. I, on the other hand, had to do gymnastics to get in or out of the bed!

Never going to happen but post count continues to go up.:D

Never gonna happen. I think a whole new thread would be started if CB ever came back to answer someone.

I couldn't quote all the remarks regarding CB. But I do want to add this:

She/He has never once come on here and confronted or made condescending,confrontational or bullying remarks to anyone of the posters on CC. And I do believe he/she does read what's going on. Might not give the right answer all the time, but heck if we really looked hard we have all given the wrong answer at some point and time. I say lay off and move on. This is bullying. Ok so now I am a target geez

And........there was nothing wrong with the response she/he gave here earlier.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

I couldn't quote all the remarks regarding CB. But I do want to add this:

She/He has never once come on here and confronted or made condescending,confrontational or bullying remarks to anyone of the posters on CC. And I do believe he/she does read what's going on. Might not give the right answer all the time, but heck if we really looked hard we have all given the wrong answer at some point and time. I say lay off and move on. This is bullying. Ok so now I am a target geez

And........there was nothing wrong with the answer she/he game here.

I agree with you. I don't understand the need to jump on the poster. I've seen other "popular" posters make mistakes, but no one calls them out on it. It's the typical double standard.

An E3 only has one pullman bed to pulldown, not two.

No matter what category, the fact is there's only 1 Pullman down so it makes sense that the taller person sleeps on the non-Pullman side. Sorry I don't have all the categories and number of beds memorized

No matter what category, the fact is there's only 1 Pullman down so it makes sense that the taller person sleeps on the non-Pullman side. Sorry I don't have all the categories and number of beds memorized

There is no non-pullman side when there is only one pullman. When there is one pullman, it typically goes across the head of the beds that are pushed together or it can be over the sofa.

I don't have all the categories memorized either but it sounds like what you are referring to is a cabin with two pullman beds, like the cabin that was linked above, which is not a balcony cabin.

It's like being in the bottom bunk...sort of....but even a tall person could sit under it and not hit their head!

This is good info.

... gets up in the middle of the night ...

So do you think her husband stands up ON the bed?

Don't most of us sit up, turn to put our feet on the ground, and then get up? And when you get up, you aren't at pillow level. You're down at the level where your bottom was, right? Is the pullman bed THAT wide that it's going to be where his head is, once he sits up, turns, and stands?

ETA: I looked at the picture, and it goes to where MY bottom would be if I got up, but with a taller person, maybe not.

That said, I'm not sure I could sleep under one. So far we've only booked sofa-bed rooms. Even if we remade the bed so the pullman was over our feet I'm not sure I could do it. We like our feet and lower legs! And I'm not sure I could deal with the idea of DS falling on our legs or the bed coming loose in the middle of the night.

Edited by mollyeilis

And I'm not sure I could deal with the idea of DS falling on our legs or the bed coming loose in the middle of the night.

I'm sure we asked the room steward for a bed guard when our kids were smaller, perhaps someone else can confirm if they are still available.

The legs went under the mattress and was about a foot tall so no chance of anyone falling out of bed

I'm sure we asked the room steward for a bed guard when our kids were smaller, perhaps someone else can confirm if they are still available.

The legs went under the mattress and was about a foot tall so no chance of anyone falling out of bed

As an adult who had to sleep on one on Disney (3-night cruise ending a vacation celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary - Daddy booked a concierge room as it was slightly bigger than a regular one since we were all sharing the room. We weren't going to make our parents split up so they got the queen, and my sister gleefully informed me that she was "over the weight limit" for the pullman.) there was a rail automatically put on the bed. Even with them knowing that an adult would be sleeping in it.

My guess is that every line automatically has at least a basic rail on those pullman beds just for safety's sake.