Best steaks on the Grand Princess

Buck Turgidson

It would surprise me if Princess ever buys prime grade beef. I have never experienced prime grade beef on a Princess cruise.

You can eat at Crown Grill for a better steak (compared to dining room). There is an additional fee involved.

Some even question if Crown Grill has USDA Choice grade beef.

Edited by Coral

On my past two Princess cruises I have only had the MDR steaks, I was curious where others find the best steaks (prime ) on the Grand.

Crown Grill @ $29/pp has a selection of quality steaks cooked to order. I have always enjoyed them.

The best steak I had on our Alaskan cruise in May was at Sabatini's. It was a 10 oz. strip steak that was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The steaks we had in the MDR were very good, too.

The steak (actually, the entire meal) I had at the Crown Grill didn't compare to Sabatini's. I ordered my steak rare, and they somehow managed to cook it well-done in the middle and rare on the sides. It wasn't awful, just not very good.

The best steak I had on our Alaskan cruise in May was at Sabatini's. It was a 10 oz. strip steak that was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The steaks we had in the MDR were very good, too.

The steak (actually, the entire meal) I had at the Crown Grill didn't compare to Sabatini's. I ordered my steak rare, and they somehow managed to cook it well-done in the middle and rare on the sides. It wasn't awful, just not very good.

You should have sent it back.

You should have sent it back.

It had already taken a long time (over an hour) to get served, and we didn't want to take the extra time. I just chalked it up to a bad night for them and will try again when we go to Hawaii in October.

The MDR beef has been terrible every time we have tried it. Tough, fatty, taste less, aways over cooked. On Prime rib night we go to the Crown, or Sabatinis. Crown has always been really good, but I agree with the other poster that the best steak has been from Sabatinis. The New York with lobster tail was the best. The lobster tail is not on the menu but I asked for it when i made the reservation.

Omitting the specific details by each cruise, I seem to have the worst time getting medium rare prime rib. Princess leans towards "Blue Rare" and on my recent Grand cruise they even argued (so to speak) with me about what medium rare is. I avoided the steaks for the rest of the cruise, as I having a kidney transplant must watch the potential risks from undercooked/undertemp raw meat.

IMG_0642.jpg

Edited by MTJSR

Ive always had an amazing experience at the Crown Grill. I also think Sabatinis is under appreciated. I finally gave it a try after hearing noting great, and WOW! that was one of my best cruise dinner experiences, ever. It was on the Royal. I HIGHLY recommend it! I had lobster 3 ways and a stuffed chicken dish. The service was incredible.

Oh right.. back to steaks... Crown Grill- filet mignon and lobster tail with smoked salt. *mouth watering* Well worth the $29 cover. Best steak at sea.

We were on the Grand in October 2015 and had our one and only Crown Grill meal. The filets were about as good as any I've had.

But the service was just bad. The server kind of dismissively ignored us for 15-20 minutes with little comments like "Be there in just one second" and "Let me get this man his wine," disappearing for long periods after each. When we finally ordered and got our meals, she forgot a number of things we'd asked for and made herself scarce.

So while the steaks were excellent, I can't say the experience justified the price for us.

Jim

We thought the steak in the Crown Grill was OK. Not bad and not outstanding. We were surprised actually the Steakhouse on the Carnival ships blew Princess away. But in all around food quality Princess is way better. As far as MDR and buffet go.

We are Diamond on Carnival and have now done two cruises on Princess.

Agree 100% with the above. And found no lines on buffet on Princess great layout of horizon court.

The MDR beef has been terrible every time we have tried it. Tough, fatty, taste less, aways over cooked. On Prime rib night we go to the Crown, or Sabatinis. Crown has always been really good, but I agree with the other poster that the best steak has been from Sabatinis. The New York with lobster tail was the best. The lobster tail is not on the menu but I asked for it when i made the reservation.

They do it on purpose ,so you will go to the Grill and pay extra;)

Think about it ,people used to get perfectly fine steak in the MDR ,now they can't cook a decent steak in the MDR ??? :rolleyes:

Cruisers created their own monster by paying extra ,for what we used to get included in our fare.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Omitting the specific details by each cruise, I seem to have the worst time getting medium rare prime rib. Princess leans towards "Blue Rare" and on my recent Grand cruise they even argued (so to speak) with me about what medium rare is. I avoided the steaks for the rest of the cruise, as I having a kidney transplant must watch the potential risks from undercooked/undertemp raw meat.

Twice at Emerald MDR last May, I ordered rare, but got medium.

Got at Crown Grill another night what I wanted.

It would surprise me if Princess ever buys prime grade beef. I have never experienced prime grade beef on a Princess cruise.

You can eat at Crown Grill for a better steak (compared to dining room). There is an additional fee involved.

I second this one. I think the steak is JUST ok. :eek: :eek:

Tony

I second this one. I think the steak is JUST ok. :eek: :eek:

Tony

I will be on the Grand for 10 day Mexico cruise 9/25.

Does the Crown Grill serve a Chicago style Tomahawk Porterhouse cut? I like my steaks charred on the outside and rare inside.

Also, is the beef grass or corn fed beef?

Hormone, antibiotic free beef?

USDA Grade Prime?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Yes, I question the recent steaks I've had in the Crown Grill. I like the side dishes and appetizers, steaks are ok - definitely not Ruth Cris quality. Sometimes a little better than Outback, sometimes worse.

If we're staying in a suite and we get a free meal, we go.

The steaks in the Crown Grill are better than the MDR, but not up to the level of Morton's or Ruth's Chris. For the price paid DW and I felt that the MDR was fine vs the increased cost. We also had lackluster service and it was our first time going so I'm sure that didn't help our overall impression.

Yes, I question the recent steaks I've had in the Crown Grill. I like the side dishes and appetizers, steaks are ok - definitely not Ruth Cris quality. Sometimes a little better than Outback, sometimes worse.

If we're staying in a suite and we get a free meal, we go.

Just went out for my wife's birthday at Ruth Chris. $150 with the tip. Steaks were great!

I have had "pretty good" steaks in Crown Grill but that's as far as I'll go. I've never had decent steak in MDR. I've actually had some pretty poor prime rib in MDR as well. The "always available" medallions were pretty good but they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo now that there is Curtis Stone stuff on the menu. Bah.

At least I can still get my Fettuccine Alfredo appetizer and my creme brulee dessert. :)