Chair hogs being fined in Italy

So, if someone comes out at 8AM and stays in the lounger until say 1PM, are they a chair hog? :confused:

No, that is using it. If you put an object on it and leave it empty, for the purposes of having it to use whenever you like, at a future time, you are hogging it.

Don't be giving them ideas.:D

On my first cruise on the Oceanic, we had to pay/rent the lounge chairs by the week. The pool/chair attendant would get the chair and place towels on them for us to use. Nothing new with regards to charging for chairs.

So if I leave my personal belongings on a chair while I go to the pool or hot tub for a while, I'm chair hogging?

When I say early riser, I'm up before 6am. My husband is up at no later than 7am. And why should he have to get up if I'm already up? I don't take advantage of saving chairs.

And no, I'd never save 16 chairs. And I've not seen that happen on any cruise I've been on.

It just doesn't bother me when people save chairs.

Edited by beachgoddess

So, if someone comes out at 8AM and stays in the lounger until say 1PM, are they a chair hog? :confused:

No. If someone comes out at 8 am, places a towel or personal belongings on a chair and doesn't come back until 1 pm, THEY ARE a chair hog. :D

Royal isn't terribly concerned because it's a problem that really doesn't exist. There is always chairs. It may not be a prime location, but still in the pool area.

I always found a decent chair in the solarium, even on sea days. You may not be right next to the pool, but who cares? I've never once not been able to find a lounger or two somewhere decent.

So if I leave my personal belongings on a chair while I go to the pool or hot tub for a while, I'm chair hogging?

When I say early riser, I'm up before 6am. My husband is up at no later than 7am. And why should he have to get up if I'm already up? I don't take advantage of saving chairs.

And no, I'd never save 16 chairs. And I've not seen that happen on any cruise I've been on.

I get what you're saying and I agree....but there are people that will save 16 chairs lol!! It's a fine line and it's also something that has never really bothered me either. But I don't generally lay around in the sun, so it has very little effect on me. We generally will grab one chair/lounger just to dump our stuff on and then get in the pool. Now in some ways that would constitute a chair hog by definition because if we've got good bar service coming to the pool, we may be in there for a few hours at a time and never return to the chair except to grab a towel and use the washroom. But I'm not sure what you actually do with your stuff otherwise???

All that said, if I do get up early to lay in the sun, I generally go to one of the higher, less crowded decks to read/nap. It's very rare that we would both be up on the pool deck to swim before lunch. We are usually up waaayyyyy too late the night before to do that lol! We've never had an issue getting just one chair for our stuff near the pools/hot tubs

Royal isn't terribly concerned because it's a problem that really doesn't exist. There is always chairs. It may not be a prime location, but still in the pool area.

I always found a decent chair in the solarium, even on sea days. You may not be right next to the pool, but who cares? I've never once not been able to find a lounger or two somewhere decent.

Wish you were correct. On most cruises, getting to the solarium after about 9:30 AM results in little or even no availability. This availability drops tp nearly zero in finding 2 together. The problem is RCC'sL virtual refusal to enforce their own rules. On dozens of occasions we brought to attention clearly chair hogs in action, neither the pool attendants nor security EVER took any action. The line has what I call selective enforcement of their rules and for the most part unless there is a $ advantage, the rules are virtually ignored.

Wish you were correct. On most cruises, getting to the solarium after about 9:30 AM results in little or even no availability. This availability drops tp nearly zero in finding 2 together. The problem is RCC'sL virtual refusal to enforce their own rules. On dozens of occasions we brought to attention clearly chair hogs in action, neither the pool attendants nor security EVER took any action. The line has what I call selective enforcement of their rules and for the most part unless there is a $ advantage, the rules are virtually ignored.

You could be right. And it maybe depends on time of year. I was sailing on Oasis in July - more kids and younger people - less solarium users. I love the solarium and found somewhere decent to sit every single time I went. Chairs on the upper decks surrounding the pool were always available.

I think they are selective about enforcing the rules because they really want to avoid conflict. It's just discretion. It seemed annoying that everything good was always taken, but I understood there were a lot of people around. And usually the chairs were very much being used.

Nobody likes chair hogs, but I also think a strict approach and conflict isn't much fun either.

Better yet, rig each chair with high voltage electricity and if it detects no weight or movement in an hours time, send a high charge throughout the chair and just vaporize whatever they had holding the chair:)

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day! I'm laughing out loud right now!

You could be right. And it maybe depends on time of year. I was sailing on Oasis in July - more kids and younger people - less solarium users. I love the solarium and found somewhere decent to sit every single time I went. Chairs on the upper decks surrounding the pool were always available.

I think they are selective about enforcing the rules because they really want to avoid conflict. It's just discretion. It seemed annoying that everything good was always taken, but I understood there were a lot of people around. And usually the chairs were very much being used.

Nobody likes chair hogs, but I also think a strict approach and conflict isn't much fun either.

You may be correct as to chair hogs. We virtually never sail when the children are out of school primarily because during those times, the cost of cruising is significantly higher. The more RCCL ignores their own rules, the more they are taken advantage of. If RCCL does not want to enforce a rule, they should just eliminate it.

In my opinion, worse than pool chair hogs are those folks who go to the theater really early and save 8 seats or so for late arrivals. Sometimes I notice that nobody else ever shows up, or if they do the performance has already started and everyone's view is blocked while they work their way to the saved seats.

We've seen this on Radiance and Vision class ships. People come and go all day using the same chair. And they're not gone just a few minutes. Wish there would be some kind of enforcement.

Curious if it would bother you if you couldn't find a find a chair.

We've seen this on Radiance and Vision class ships. People come and go all day using the same chair. And they're not gone just a few minutes. Wish there would be some kind of enforcement.

The best are the folks holding two chairs, one near pool and one in the shade. :eek:

Using the pool or hot tubs is part of being at the pool...so since you must LEAVE the chair in order to do that, it's NOT "hogging". Hogging is when you "reserve" a chair long before you're ass is ready to sit in it!

If you plan to be IN the pool for considerable amounts of time, then it's nice to only take 1 chair for the entire family's stuff....

It would be nice if ship's would provide spaces for your towels, shirt, etc...for those who never intend to sit in a lounger!

Sorry, but it is a problem that DOES exist. On every cruise we've been on my husband and I have had a very hard time finding 2 chairs to just lay out in the sun any where on deck. We usually go out in the afternoon and it is ridiculous trying to find just 2 chairs, sometimes even ONE chair in the sun, and I'm not just talking by the pool. Many chairs are empty but being saved. If people would just use them when they need them, it wouldn't be a problem.

I have NEVER not found a chair. If that ever did happen, I'd probably just get up a little earlier. No big deal.

Sorry, but it is a problem that DOES exist. On every cruise we've been on my husband and I have had a very hard time finding 2 chairs to just lay out in the sun any where on deck. We usually go out in the afternoon and it is ridiculous trying to find just 2 chairs, sometimes even ONE chair in the sun, and I'm not just talking by the pool. Many chairs are empty but being saved. If people would just use them when they need them, it wouldn't be a problem.

Getting a chair in the afternoon is not gonna happen.

We have usually found chairs, too. However, on our last cruise on the grandeur during July we were able to find chairs in the Solarium early on the days we ate breakfast at the Park Cafe. We just came to the Solarium in our swimsuits got 2 chairs had breakfast and read for a couple of hours. Our chairs were very popular when we left. :D

However, on the pool deck[and the deck above] by 10 am there were no chairs. [NONE!!!] DH and I like to walk before lunch because I am too lazy to do it later.:rolleyes: We saw lots of people with towels laying on the deck near the track. I am sure it was hot and uncomfortable. . . . but there wasn't anywhere else to go.

We were on Rhapsody last week and there were regular pool patrols taking place. They stuck yellow stickers on the chairs with the time on them, and were quick to remove items when the time was up if no one had returned.

I watched this happen a few chairs down from me, when the guy came back to his chair a good hour later he started shouting at the pool guy ' you moved my stuff you idiot, where's my yellow bag ' he was really abusive to the pool attended demanding to know where his back was. An then guess what his wife turned up with it in her arms, did he apologise !! Did he heck as like, nasty man

It's tough to give that last line, when your spouse isn't getting up early to get a chair as well. Not that I disagree with you on that, I think saving a chair for a spouse is not that big a deal, so long as it's not too long a time.

The problem, especially when you throw in the "sometimes even 4 chairs", is for some that could turn into "sometimes even 16 chairs" if they're there with a big family group. Is there a limit in your view of how many chairs you can save, and is that limit based on just because you need 2-4 chairs?

I don't mind people saving a chair for another adult for a little while, But when they save one for each child who is going to spend the day in the pool anyway, I think that is wrong.

On the Feb. '14 Quantum cruise the rule was being really enforced, however, it was set at 20 minutes. This I know because We went to lunch and it was 30minutes and when I came back, all of my stuff was removed. I did not make a big deal, but it should have been at least 45 minutes so one can grab something to eat.