I am loving Quest!

Pam

I know that in the months before I got on Quest, I voiced several uncertainties; some of them were more because this would be my first trip of any magnitude as a solo, and some because Azamara was a completely unknown product to me.

I love it. As much as Mark and I loved Regent Navigator, I'd put Quest up against it any day. The friendliness and availability of the staff far surpasses any ship I have sailed on Regent; they are apparently aware that I am alone, and are always approaching me to make sure my cruise is going well. That may be because I am in a suite, but I don't think so: CD Russ brought me a verbal message on the first day that Denise was looking for me, concerning our private tour to Berlin. I know that Denise isn't in a suite, but she felt comfortable in walking up to Russ and asking if he had "seen Pam".

The internet was abysmal the first few days, but we headed North from Amsterdam. Now that we are farther South in Belgium, it is more responsive.

The food-subjective. Some things have been really good, some things outstanding, some not so outstanding. But I am not a foodie, and I have found something to eat any time I was hungry.

The spa is amazing! And I have seen several ladies who got haircuts onboard, and they all look beautiful.

I haven't done a lot of Land Discoveries, because the aim of this cruise was to rest and destress , but the ones I have done were great. In Ghent yesterday, on the chocolate factory tour, they divided us into two groups of 15 so that everybody could hear the guide. I am looking forward to Paris, although I have been charged with finding something "Parisian but not touristy" for my youngest granddaughter.

I don't know when time will allow me to travel again, but if I can manage a cruise it will be on Azamara.

Delighted to read how well your trip is going. I hope you find something for your grand daughter. I brought lovely French flag stripped hair ribbons back as a gift for someone last time I was there, there are lots of nice non plastic Eifel Towers around especially in the side streets if you feel comfortable to go there. (Paris is as safe as any other city can be in the main areas).

Edited by uktog

Pam, so glad your cruise has finally arrived and that your having a good time....as, of course we all knew you would. Azamara is one of the best and friendliest cruise lines for solo cruising.

It makes no difference at all whether you are in a suite or steerage on Azamara because they treat everyone with the same care and attention. :) Hope you continue to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Pam -- If you get a chance, please give Russ a big 'Thank you' from me for the music to his solo at the Sunday Service [My Tribute]. I sang it at Mass yesterday and it was very well received! I would like to send him some music in return -- ask him to email me at HostJazzbeau@CruiseCritic.com

TIA

Thanks Pam for the interesting review.

Over on the Regent board rallydave has posted a comparison of Amamara and Regent which readers of this thread might find interesting. You will note the usual Regent cheerleaders posting, "But, but but ..." but pay them no mind.

Both of you, of course, are experienced on Regent and first-time Azamara folks.

We're fairly experienced with Regent and the Paul Gauguin, with one try with Oceania. Our first "test drive" of Azamara is in 3 weeks, Journey 7-day Rome to Rome, so your and rallydave's comments have been especially interesting.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Thanks Pam for the interesting review.

Over on the Regent board rallydave has posted a comparison of Amamara and Regent which readers of this thread might find interesting. You will note the usual Regent cheerleaders posting, "But, but but ..." but pay them no mind.

Both of you, of course, are experienced on Regent and first-time Azamara folks.

We're fairly experienced with Regent and the Paul Gauguin, with one try with Oceania. Our first "test drive" of Azamara is in 3 weeks, Journey 7-day Rome to Rome, so your and rallydave's comments have been especially interesting.

We've spent seven weeks on Regent ships and rallydave and Pam are absolutely right. I guess some people think the definition of luxury is walk-in closets and cheap caviar at the Sunday brunch buffet. They don't know what they're missing.

hi All,

Read the review on the Regent Board with much interest. We have cruised 5 times with Regent and are booked on their new ship in September next year. We are very much cruise line virgins and have only tried Regent. I have read the comments on this forum with interest the line seems to be just the sort of company we would like to try. So if anything the post on the Regent board has probably got two new converts. We will certainly look into this line and hopefully try a cruise next year.

I love it. As much as Mark and I loved Regent Navigator, I'd put Quest up against it any day. The friendliness and availability of the staff far surpasses any ship I have sailed on Regent; they are apparently aware that I am alone, and are always approaching me to make sure my cruise is going well.

I am really, really, really pleased to read this, Pam. Hope to see you on a future Azamara cruise.

I know that in the months before I got on Quest, I voiced several uncertainties; some of them were more because this would be my first trip of any magnitude as a solo, and some because Azamara was a completely unknown product to me.

I love it. As much as Mark and I loved Regent Navigator, I'd put Quest up against it any day. The friendliness and availability of the staff far surpasses any ship I have sailed on Regent; they are apparently aware that I am alone, and are always approaching me to make sure my cruise is going well. That may be because I am in a suite, but I don't think so: CD Russ brought me a verbal message on the first day that Denise was looking for me, concerning our private tour to Berlin. I know that Denise isn't in a suite, but she felt comfortable in walking up to Russ and asking if he had "seen Pam".

The internet was abysmal the first few days, but we headed North from Amsterdam. Now that we are farther South in Belgium, it is more responsive.

The food-subjective. Some things have been really good, some things outstanding, some not so outstanding. But I am not a foodie, and I have found something to eat any time I was hungry.

The spa is amazing! And I have seen several ladies who got haircuts onboard, and they all look beautiful.

I haven't done a lot of Land Discoveries, because the aim of this cruise was to rest and destress , but the ones I have done were great. In Ghent yesterday, on the chocolate factory tour, they divided us into two groups of 15 so that everybody could hear the guide. I am looking forward to Paris, although I have been charged with finding something "Parisian but not touristy" for my youngest granddaughter.

I don't know when time will allow me to travel again, but if I can manage a cruise it will be on Azamara.

Hi Pam!

So glad to read that you are loving Quest and Azamara! We have a cruise booked Feb. 2018 on Journey and can't wait. Hopefully, we too, will be loving Azamara!

Denise

I love it. As much as Mark and I loved Regent Navigator, I'd put Quest up against it any day. The friendliness and availability of the staff far surpasses any ship I have sailed on Regent; they are apparently aware that I am alone, and are always approaching me to make sure my cruise is going well. That may be because I am in a suite, but I don't think so: CD Russ brought me a verbal message on the first day that Denise was looking for me, concerning our private tour to Berlin. I know that Denise isn't in a suite, but she felt comfortable in walking up to Russ and asking if he had "seen Pam"...

This is also our comparative reaction to Crystal. As much as everyone on that forum talks about the great service, we did not feel that it extended to first-time passengers or non-suite guests. From what I read on the Regent forum, it really helps there to be a personal friend of FDR. But on Azamara the friendly, caring service is given equally to all guests, from the least expensive cabin and the first-time cruise all the way up to the top suite most travelled. Everyone is welcomed 'home.'

This is also our comparative reaction to Crystal. As much as everyone on that forum talks about the great service, we did not feel that it extended to first-time passengers or non-suite guests. From what I read on the Regent forum, it really helps there to be a personal friend of FDR. But on Azamara the friendly, caring service is given equally to all guests, from the least expensive cabin and the first-time cruise all the way up to the top suite most travelled. Everyone is welcomed 'home.'

I think you've nailed it, Jazzbeau. Describes exactly our two experiences on Regent--25 and 24 days respectively.

Even after three weeks on board, senior officers walked past us with not even an acknowledging smile or nod. On our second Regent cruise, only the maitre d' in the steakhouse (who also hosted lunch in the main dining room) seemed to recognize and engage us as individuals and not just the next people in line.

I don't care how large the staterooms are or whether or not you can walk into the closet--that isn't "luxury."

We've cruised with Regent 5 times. Several years ago, we decided Regent was not the "be all to end all" for us, for a variety of reasons. Through a lot of research and friends' recommendations, we discovered that there are many great choices for cruising available for us to try. We were very pleasantly surprised that the choices we've made, to date, have been excellent experiences for us and pretty much on par with or have exceeded Regent experiences.

Our travel plans are overflowing for the next couple of years. So glad we have booked our 2018 Azamara Journey cruise. We've heard nothing but great things and are eager to experience Azamara for ourselves!

We appreciate this forum and the sharing of experiences, ideas, suggestions and such! Thank you!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

Hi Pam,

I'm so glad you've enjoyed your first cruise on Azamara Club Cruises! I well remember when you posted on my thread "Sailing Solo...Happily" thread. You were nervous about cruising alone. This community was very supportive and encouraging to you.

Now that you've done it I really appreciate your follow up with us :)

I too hope to sail with you on a future cruise!

Bonnie

---------------

September 3rd, 2015, 08:53 AM

Pam

Cool Cruiser

I am working up the courage to actually sail on the cruise I have booked for August 2016; I got the BOGOHO special on it, and it has ports that I would love to see. My husband and I loved to travel and always had adventures together. I haven't been able to go solo yet, I keep saying I am going to, and Azamara seems the ideal line to begin with.

I am home, where there is actually fast internet! Host Jazzbeau, I left a note for Russ with Guest Relations and they said they would make sure he got it; after the first few days I didn't run into him again.

The only really sour note was the not-so Azamazing Evening in Antwerp. I understand that this itinerary was kind of hastily put together (although it was incredible) to relocate Quest for a charter. But the location was small, hot and stuffy and the music was geared to a completely different age bracket. The young women had incredible voices, but the strobe lights were so, so bad that I looked around and hoped nobody had any kind of seizure disorder. It was "pop" music rewritten for a choir of 16 young women. I didn't hear the first positive opinion of it. I did tell the concierge when I was talking to him about something else and he said that they needed feedback about things like that.

I am home, where there is actually fast internet! Host Jazzbeau, I left a note for Russ with Guest Relations and they said they would make sure he got it; after the first few days I didn't run into him again.

The only really sour note was the not-so Azamazing Evening in Antwerp. I understand that this itinerary was kind of hastily put together (although it was incredible) to relocate Quest for a charter. But the location was small, hot and stuffy and the music was geared to a completely different age bracket. The young women had incredible voices, but the strobe lights were so, so bad that I looked around and hoped nobody had any kind of seizure disorder. It was "pop" music rewritten for a choir of 16 young women. I didn't hear the first positive opinion of it. I did tell the concierge when I was talking to him about something else and he said that they needed feedback about things like that.

Thanks Pam! Sorry to hear about the AzAmazing Evening. This feature seems to still have growing pains. The first one they did in Bergen didn't go so well [outdoors in the rainiest city in Europe -- what were they thinking???] so they changed it for our cruise and it went much better. Hopefully they will learn from this Antwerp experience for their next call there.

That may be because I am in a suite, but I don't think so: CD Russ brought me a verbal message on the first day that Denise was looking for me, concerning our private tour to Berlin. I know that Denise isn't in a suite, but she felt comfortable in walking up to Russ and asking if he had "seen Pam".

I've been looking at both Azamara and Oceania. I don't know if Pam meant this but I was really turned off by her implying she was surprised that someone not in a suite actually could speak to the CD. :eek: How different is that from the first quote, where Host J. mentions the treatment of non suite passengers on Crystal.?

I have been reading the boards the last few months for both Azamara and Oceania, and this exchange strikes me as very snobby. I don't think I would be comfortable on AZ if I were not in a suite. (I'd have to remember not to speak to the CD). I don't get that vibe at all on O.:cool:

Edited by mafig

I am sure Pam will speak up soon. However just to assure you Azamara is really a no class ship. Yes some rooms are bigger and have free access to the speciality restaurants and front deck on Deck 9 but anyone can book a meal in the restaurants or get a pass for the front sundeck for a fee. And everyone speaks to anyone. I find more snobs on Celebrity ships that I ever have done on Azamara

That is so not true. On our last cruise we were in a verandah suite. On the White night the captain, cruise director and hotel director all stopped to have a word with us on their way past. There is absolutely no snobbery on Azamara. All the senior crew stop and talk to lots of different guests and don't differentiate by class of cabin. The previous cruise we were in an Oceanview cabin and got asked to sit at a senior officers table during a special dinner in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've been looking at both Azamara and Oceania. I don't know if Pam meant this but I was really turned off by her implying she was surprised that someone not in a suite actually could speak to the CD.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you could possibly read that into what Pam wrote. This was Pam's first Azamara cruise, so all of her prior experience was on one or more luxury lines.

What she was expressing was precisely the opposite of what you read into it: That, on Azamara, it is perfectly common and usual that a cruise director--or any other senior officer, for that matter, up to and including the captain--would assist passengers by taking time personally to be helpful, whereas on other lines it had always been very different.