Memorable Restaurants Where We Have Dined Around the World

SnoBirdCruiser

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Being Polish but born in American my parents always enjoyed our cuisine of culture - One (1) pot dishes for meals. Easy to make and easy to clean up.

I love polish cooking and I have no polish family.

I love Pierogis but have never made them.

I make Galupkis/Haluskis (Cabbage rolls, I know there are about 5 different spellings for the dish) and Goulash (don't think the Poles spell it that way).  I have had Hungarian versions, Polish versions and one with wild boar made by a Croat friend.

I also had Bigos once and wasn't crazy about the pickled cabbage base but it had the best home-made kielbasa in it!!

I love old world central/eastern European food

4 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

My Mom only remembers the tail end of the great depression but her Mother raised 5 kids and supported parents-in-law after during the depression then was widowed shortly afterwards.

Young people in this country today and even in my generation don't consider that all the social programs like welfare, unemployment and other government didn't exist back then.  If you didn't work, you had to depend on friends, family, small family gardens, and bartering services.  But even through tough times, My Mom said she had everything she needed and didn't realize until she was a teen that they were poor!

Exactly what I learned while I was being raised.  A child tax credit?  That would have been most welcome to my parents.  I remember my Grandfather had a large garden in his backyard, planted grape vines (and made wine from many of those grapes), and bartered his services as a house painter for clients that provided items that he could not afford during the Depression and WW II era.  My Grandmother learned to make homemade noodles; more inexpensive than trying to buy such.  (And, they were more delicious than what we find in the grocery today.)  

The "hardships" that we have to endure today are surely issues for some of us who live in the 21st Century.  Not being able to go to a restaurant without wearing a mask.  Is this a "hardship" or is it "trivial"?   Kroger's ran out of toilet paper!  Is this a "hardship" or maybe a lesson in conservation of one's resources that we, the people of today needed to learn?  

To keep this thread somewhat on track:  Were there "memorable restaurants" during the Great Depression and during the WW II era?  I have little doubt that there were.  An example is New York City's Rainbow Room which opened in 1934 and must have done well.  1942, it closed because of WW II and did not re-open again until 1950.  Because of Covid-19, it is now closed.  

• 2 weeks later...

Joe's American Grill which is on Newbury Street was a stop we found on our first time in Boston.

Down the street from the Public Gardens.

It  as it sounds is an All American Menu.

Unfortunately it is quite a walk from the drop off point for the QM2 in town, but we enjoyed seeing Boston Commons, Public Park Gardens and the elegant Newbury Street.

Had a basic burger to get us thru first time but last time was Steamed Lobster.

To return the second time I remember it well the first time.

Next year we are visiting Boston we should attempt to see another restaurant nearer to the drop point.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, rkacruiser said:

Exactly what I learned while I was being raised.  A child tax credit?  That would have been most welcome to my parents.  I remember my Grandfather had a large garden in his backyard, planted grape vines (and made wine from many of those grapes), and bartered his services as a house painter for clients that provided items that he could not afford during the Depression and WW II era.  My Grandmother learned to make homemade noodles; more inexpensive than trying to buy such.  (And, they were more delicious than what we find in the grocery today.)  

The "hardships" that we have to endure today are surely issues for some of us who live in the 21st Century.  Not being able to go to a restaurant without wearing a mask.  Is this a "hardship" or is it "trivial"?   Kroger's ran out of toilet paper!  Is this a "hardship" or maybe a lesson in conservation of one's resources that we, the people of today needed to learn?  

To keep this thread somewhat on track:  Were there "memorable restaurants" during the Great Depression and during the WW II era?  I have little doubt that there were.  An example is New York City's Rainbow Room which opened in 1934 and must have done well.  1942, it closed because of WW II and did not re-open again until 1950.  Because of Covid-19, it is now closed.  

Yes there were many memorable restaurants running during the Great Depression.  Boston was loaded with old line restaurants and taverns...before The Boston Redevelopment Authority sterilized the old city beginning in the late 1950’s.   Many of those restaurants were legends.  I could name at least a dozen or more that I remember and none of them exist today...so sad.  

Joe's American Grill which is on Newbury Street was a stop we found on our first time in Boston.

Down the street from the Public Gardens.

It  as it sounds is an All American Menu.

Unfortunately it is quite a walk from the drop off point for the QM2 in town, but we enjoyed seeing Boston Commons, Public Park Gardens and the elegant Newbury Street.

Had a basic burger to get us thru first time but last time was Steamed Lobster.

To return the second time I remember it well the first time.

Next year we are visiting Boston we should attempt to see another restaurant nearer to the drop point.

Next time head for the North End.  Just grab an Uber from the ship for a quick ride.  You will find one great Italian place after the other.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

Alaska Fish & Chips Company in Juneau, Alaska:  fine dining?  No.  A very tourist casual ambiance?  Yes.  Service?  Good.  The best Halibut and Chips I have ever eaten.  And, located just in the building at the start of the cruise ship piers in Juneau.  

I ate there too🙂 but it was actually upstairs on a private excursion with one of the best lunches I have ever eaten..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I ate there too🙂 but it was actually upstairs on a private excursion with one of the best lunches I have ever eaten..........

When I next return to Juneau, I hope they have survived the pandemic.  

• 1 month later...

50 years ago this evening,  my Mother, Brother, and I dined at the Top of the Sixes in New York City prior to my 2nd cruise on Rotterdam V.  This cruise was my Mother's first cruise (that was followed by more) and my Brother's only cruise.  We sailed at Noon on July 31, 1971.  It was a memorable evening because it was unique for all of us.  Fine dining?  Can't recall that it really was.  But, we returned to our hotel very pleased with our selection of a special place to have dinner.  

On 6/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Lois R said:

I need to make a correction to this post.........I posted this back in June and was re-reading it.......I was totally wrong😲.........I ate at a place in Ketchikan, not Juneau.....had the wrong city.  But I do remember having a private excursion with a delicious lunch🙂...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

I need to make a correction to this post.........I posted this back in June and was re-reading it.......I was totally wrong😲.........I ate at a place in Ketchikan, not Juneau.....had the wrong city.  But I do remember having a private excursion with a delicious lunch🙂...

You are allowed to join the club of those of us whose memories sometimes fail us.  😁     And, then, at least for me, for some unexpected reason, a "light bulb" is lit in the recesses of my brain and I remember more "correctly".  

Welcome Aboard!!!!

Does anyone remember dining at The Top of the Sixes in New York City?  It was a Stouffer's affiliated restaurant, as I recall, when they were in the hospitality/restaurant business.  I remember staying at the Stouffer Madison Hotel in Seattle several years ago.  

On 7/31/2021 at 5:45 PM, rkacruiser said:

Does anyone remember dining at The Top of the Sixes in New York City?  It was a Stouffer's affiliated restaurant, as I recall, when they were in the hospitality/restaurant business.  I remember staying at the Stouffer Madison Hotel in Seattle several years ago.  

Stouffers had another “Top Of” restaurant in Boston.  It was called “Top Of The Hub”.  I actually worked there around 1968.  It was at the top of The Prudential Tower.  I imagine it was similar to the Top Of The Sixes.  The food was very good.  I remember featured dishes like lobster stuffed with lobster and Chateau Briand Jardinier with Pommes Duchess.  The steaks and filet mignon were top quality.  I should know…I cooked them all.  The Top Of The Hub finally closed last year.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It was at the top of The Prudential Tower.  

When I sailed from Boston, I recall that a restaurant was still there.  Name?  Don't recall.  Did consider it for the one evening's dinner when I was there, but chose a different restaurant which was very good.

I recall dining in a restaurant atop a tall building in downtown Columbus, Ohio that was also a Stouffer's restaurant.  (That was a really long time ago!)  Cuisine was excellent.  

I suppose the brand "Stouffer's" exited the restaurant/hotel market place when the Company was acquired by different owners.  Too bad, because it was quality at the time when they existed.  I am glad that the brand remains, at least, in their frozen food preparations.  Have yet to taste any that I don't enjoy.  Their Green Pepper Steak is a real favorite of mine and hard to find at times.  I still associate the name of "Stouffer's" with quality.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

When I sailed from Boston, I recall that a restaurant was still there.  Name?  Don't recall.  Did consider it for the one evening's dinner when I was there, but chose a different restaurant which was very good.

I recall dining in a restaurant atop a tall building in downtown Columbus, Ohio that was also a Stouffer's restaurant.  (That was a really long time ago!)  Cuisine was excellent.  

I suppose the brand "Stouffer's" exited the restaurant/hotel market place when the Company was acquired by different owners.  Too bad, because it was quality at the time when they existed.  I am glad that the brand remains, at least, in their frozen food preparations.  Have yet to taste any that I don't enjoy.  Their Green Pepper Steak is a real favorite of mine and hard to find at times.  I still associate the name of "Stouffer's" with quality.  

If you get to Boston in the near future just google Italian restaurants.  There are at least 50 in the North End area and the Seaport.  Rino’s is my favorite but that is all the way over to East Boston.  You’ll love the North End…very old Boston…it is very handy to Black Falcon Terminal.    I would say at least 25 of those restaurants are memorable and that does not include the bakeries and pizzerias.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

If you get to Boston in the near future just google Italian restaurants.

I appreciate your recommendations.  I am starting to become better acclimated to being the "senior" senior citizen that I have been for longer than I, guess, wanted to admit.  Just had my annual physical exam this morning and the initial reports are good.  

Since January 31, 2020, there has been a mental adjustment, due to change in my physical condition, that I have had to make.  My doctors are getting the physical situation under control.  I am working on the mental side.  And, I feel that I am making some progress.  Day by day.  With some days being days that I backslide.  

Your recommendation for some excellent Italian cuisine is just what I like!  Thanks.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate your recommendations.  I am starting to become better acclimated to being the "senior" senior citizen that I have been for longer than I, guess, wanted to admit.  Just had my annual physical exam this morning and the initial reports are good.  

Since January 31, 2020, there has been a mental adjustment, due to change in my physical condition, that I have had to make.  My doctors are getting the physical situation under control.  I am working on the mental side.  And, I feel that I am making some progress.  Day by day.  With some days being days that I backslide.  

Your recommendation for some excellent Italian cuisine is just what I like!  Thanks.  

Hi RK,

I can tell you from experience that you never know what is around the corner.  I have gone through health care hell for the past four years.  Add the Covid on to that and you’ll see I’ve drawn a Royal Straight Flush in healthcare.  The good news is that I can now see a distant light at the end of my very long tunnel.  Once you hit your 70’s you can expect to have one issue or more.  More good news…the medical technology is awesome.  Make sure you get back to Boston and get to the North End for a great Italian meal.  I am looking forward to going on a cruise in 2022 after a 5 year hiatus.  Count your blessings and keep on cruising!

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

I can tell you from experience that you never know what is around the corner.  I have gone through health care hell for the past four years.  Add the Covid on to that and you’ll see I’ve drawn a Royal Straight Flush in healthcare.  The good news is that I can now see a distant light at the end of my very long tunnel.  Once you hit your 70’s you can expect to have one issue or more.  More good news…the medical technology is awesome.  Make sure you get back to Boston and get to the North End for a great Italian meal.  I am looking forward to going on a cruise in 2022 after a 5 year hiatus.  Count your blessings and keep on cruising!

We too will be taking the next sailing after a 5 year break in 2022.

Also going up the hill and hitting 70 this September but have had Senior Moments for several years.

But keeping and thinking Young at Heart and Mind.

Once we see the QM2 again we will put all this aside. 

We too will be taking the next sailing after a 5 year break in 2022.

Also going up the hill and hitting 70 this September but have had Senior Moments for several years.

Remember BB…”It’s not how you feel…it’s how you look”…LOL.  Cruising will not be easy in the next year or so.  The Covid will be with us until we perfect the vaccines and therapeutics.  Cruise ships might very well become the safest way to vacation.

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Remember BB…”It’s not how you feel…it’s how you look”…LOL.  Cruising will not be easy in the next year or so.  The Covid will be with us until we perfect the vaccines and therapeutics.  Cruise ships might very well become the safest way to vacation.

CGT

I think this will be the new Flu......

I think masks will be with us for the next 3-5 years. We booked for 9/2022 and already getting ready not just on board activities and cabin but how we will act in the Restaurant and Buffets.

We go to the Met Op in NYC and we just got their C19 regulations for the Fall when they are opening up.

It's like going to a new Opera House even before you enter the building. Which is where the Vac Check takes place. No Have - No Go In.

As you may have heard in NYC yesterday....August 16th Vac proof must be shown to enter any restaurant or you will be turned back. Sept 13th enforce will take place with plenty to owners.

A New World...... 

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

I think this will be the new Flu......

I think masks will be with us for the next 3-5 years. We booked for 9/2022 and already getting ready not just on board activities and cabin but how we will act in the Restaurant and Buffets.

We go to the Met Op in NYC and we just got their C19 regulations for the Fall when they are opening up.

It's like going to a new Opera House even before you enter the building. Which is where the Vac Check takes place. No Have - No Go In.

As you may have heard in NYC yesterday....August 16th Vac proof must be shown to enter any restaurant or you will be turned back. Sept 13th enforce will take place with plenty to owners.

A New World...... 

More like “A Brave New World”…Aldus Huxley…lol.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Count your blessings and keep on cruising!

Count my blessings?  I do that daily in my prayers.  Keep on cruising?  Want to do so; but it's not yet the time for me.

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Whatever vessel I embark for a cruise of whatever length to anywhere, I enter into a totally different mind set.

When that ship is a HAL vessel, simply because of my experiences with HAL since 1970:  I say to myself, mentally, "I am home."  

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As you may have heard in NYC yesterday....August 16th Vac proof must be shown to enter any restaurant or you will be turned back

How soon can such a requirement come for all of the businesses in all of our communities in all of our States?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I think masks will be with us for the next 3-5 years.

In certain situations, while I hope not, I fear you may be correct.

Tuesday and Wednesday, I had to exit the bubble in which I have tried to exist since March, 2020.  I felt I was going among the potentially "unwashed".  Today, at my Bureau of Motor Vehicles license office, there were a few wearing a mask.  Why?  Are they unvaccinated?  Most, including most of the staff, were not.  It was not a comfortable situation.  Am I worried?  No.  But, would I want to carry those concerns by spending thousands of dollars on a "vacation" of whatever kind?  

OK by me.  Many are choosing to answer that question by booking a cruise(s) and enduring all of the additional hoops one must jump through to get to their "vacation".  I am not willing to experience that kind of "vacation".   Will my thinking change?  Just as this darn virus seems to mutate, my thinking may as well.   

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Tuesday and Wednesday, I had to exit the bubble in which I have tried to exist since March, 2020.  I felt I was going among the potentially "unwashed".  Today, at my Bureau of Motor Vehicles license office, there were a few wearing a mask.  Why?  Are they unvaccinated?  Most, including most of the staff, were not.  It was not a comfortable situation.  Am I worried?  No.  But, would I want to carry those concerns by spending thousands of dollars on a "vacation" of whatever kind?  

OK by me.  Many are choosing to answer that question by booking a cruise(s) and enduring all of the additional hoops one must jump through to get to their "vacation".  I am not willing to experience that kind of "vacation".   Will my thinking change?  Just as this darn virus seems to mutate, my thinking may as well.   

We are taking items more serious in NYC now since we don't want to repeat the past.

My wife had a situation the other day like that and is concerned too! But thinks the incident will turn out for favorable.

We were thinking of maybe one of the Caribbean starting the first of the year on Cunard but it's too soon. That us why we are happy we are 13 months away for things to settle down and think them out.

Hoping the cruise industry will get their act together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, seamus69 said:

huge wealth of ingredients available

That makes it so much easier, doesn't it? When I read a recipe - yes, I'm a recipe follower - I generally have the majority of ingredients on hand.

• 1 year later...