What happens at the end of boarding?

TravelinGert

Has anyone been among the last few to board a cruise? I'm just wondering do they for instance ever close boarding early if the boarding area is empty? What about someone walking up to the counter where sea pass cards are issued five minutes to the end time specified? Would they get that person on and close? What about if there were a line of people in the boarding area that have been waiting since well before the specified end of boarding. Would they close the doors and then just make sure those people got on board?

Context: Spouse and I have always gotten a room near the port the night before, then just drove over. We can take one more cruise per year if we instead fly in the same day. Of course we would fly in as early as possible, but we wondered what happens if our flight were delayed. We always set our sights on being one of the earliest to board so we have no idea what happens later in boarding.

I think you will find that the ship's crew know when all the passengers have boarded and therefore they know for example that we have twelve passengers yet to board. If you are late arriving at the quayside it is a good idea to phone and tell them your situation and reason for delay. Ship's may hang on for a couple of minutes if you are very close with a good reason for delay. They do not have to and other considerations such as pilots and tides may force their hand.

They will not close a boarding area because not many people are about. Even they know who is coming and need to stay open until everybody has turned up or the ship has gone.

It increases the risk of "missing the boat" if you fly in on the day. You can minimise this with flights that arrive very early and have duplicate fights following within hours if one is delayed or cancelled. Looking at airlines with a good reliability record will help. You could also look at cheaper pre-cruise hotels but I expect you have already done this.

Regards John

The security systems used by modern cruise ships (your cruise card is part of that system) tells the staff when everyone is aboard....and also can tell them how many and who is missing. That is why you will sometimes hear announcements near embarkation time (at many ports) for certain passengers to immediately contact guest relations (they are missing and perhaps were not scanned into the computer).

As embarkation time nears, the Captain makes the ultimate decision whether to prepare the ship for sailing (close all the external hatches/doors) or to wait X number of minutes for missing passengers. At the initial port of embarkation, if the Captain is aware of missing passengers (often delayed by late flights or traffic) he/she also has to make that decision. We have been on many cruises where the Captain will delay departure to wait for some passengers....but this generally happens only if they have been made aware of some type of delay. They are more prone to wait...for larger groups or if the delayed flights were booked by the cruise line.

We should also mention that we have been a few cruises where our ship has left passengers behind...at embarkation. There are times when the Captain cannot (or will not) wait. If left behind it is the passengers responsibility to catch-up to the ship...although they may sometimes get help from the cruise line or an airline.

Hank

If a flight is late that was booked by the cruise line, and it won't affect the itinerary, then they will wait a reasonable amount of time. If it's a major delay, those being transported thru the cruise line will be gotten to the next port, and the ship will leave. If you are traveling on your own, they make NO concessions for you...be on time, or get left behind!

That said, many folks DO fly to port on departure day...sometimes, it simply can't be helped!

Depending on the itinerary you may not be able to board at your first port. If you are on a closed loop cruise in the US (departing & returning to the same US port) and your first port is a US port - Key West or many Alaska cruises - you can not board there it is a violation of the PVSA. I would take an evening or red eye flight and arrive late if at all possible - something that will buy some extra time if there is a problem with your flight

Has anyone been among the last few to board a cruise? I'm just wondering do they for instance ever close boarding early if the boarding area is empty? What about someone walking up to the counter where sea pass cards are issued five minutes to the end time specified? Would they get that person on and close? What about if there were a line of people in the boarding area that have been waiting since well before the specified end of boarding. Would they close the doors and then just make sure those people got on board?

Context: Spouse and I have always gotten a room near the port the night before, then just drove over. We can take one more cruise per year if we instead fly in the same day. Of course we would fly in as early as possible, but we wondered what happens if our flight were delayed. We always set our sights on being one of the earliest to board so we have no idea what happens later in boarding.

you must be ONBOARD by x time( 90 minutes before scheduled departure). if you show up even 5 minutes late to check in, you will be denied entrance to the facility( and there are stories on these boards affirming that) think of it like EMH at Disney. if you do not qualify for them, and are not already in line for a ride when the park closes for reg. guests, you will not be allowed to enter a line at all and will be gently and subtly herded out of the parks.

Typically boarding ends 90 minutes before departure - you are given your boarding time, and it is up to you to get there by your boarding time. There is obviously some wiggle room if one or two people show up a few minutes late. If there is a major snag - like a planeload of people who's flight was arranged by the cruise line coming in very late - the ship might hold sailing for a couple of hours - but that would be a decision made by the line, reflecting pilot availability, port requirements, etc. - so there is no certain answer.

Just show up on time.

I have missed two sailings. My first due to an alleged equipment problem with the airline which caused issues with many passengers but in this case I never left my home airport till late in the day. Did a catch-up two days later. The second time we arrived at the departure city but pilot could not land and we had to divert and be bussed down to port. We contacted the port to alert them but we arrived too late and was denied boarding. Had to fly to first port to board two days later. Now arrive early.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our plan was to fly same day. We also experienced Airline equipment failure which was not handled well by airlines. We contacted Princess Hq several times with updates that morning.

We finally arrived at LAX at 5:00 pm and the ship had sailed at 4:00 PM. While at the airport we met another couple who had the same problem coming in from back East.

We then flew to the next Port to the Catch the ship. That was an adventure in its self.

Fly the same day, have Plan B ready.

Bob

The answer is, NO! They have to wait until departure time anyway but Princess held up Diamond at least 2 hr due to a fatal wreck which held up 700 I believe. Shipping lines pay a port fee of around $50,000.00/day depending on number of passengers and shore power is cheaper than generating the ships own although Diamond always ran generators in Port in SE ASia. They aren't allowed to in the US due to Pollution regs. The Captain has the right to hold up due to weather but cannot leave early.

When a passenger misses their cruise they can just go home or what can happen is they fly to the 1st port and get on then.

No, Bonnie, No one should ev er assume if they miss the ship, they can 'simply' fly to next port and join there. they should get perm;ission from cruise line to do that. C a botage ru ( in U.S. PVSA) rules in many countries c could forbid that. Don't just rush of fto the airport without conTACTing ruise. LINE. You You well could get top[ort and not be permig\tted into the port area if you are not expected.

Edited by sail7seas

D

When a passenger misses their cruise they can just go home or what can happen is they fly to the 1st port and get on then.

Do not assume you can just appear at next port and expect to board.

without advance permission.

Edited by sail7seas

Best story of missing the ship:

Flight from Germany to Paris cancelled, 2 German guys miss the one flight per day to Tahiti. Then they miss the Aranui passenger-freighter out of Papeete. The ship's next 3 island ports have no airport. They fly on a small plane to the fourth port, cross the entire island by rented jeep with driver and join the ship in Nuku Hiva's capital Taiohae.

The only ships I am aware of that will wait well beyond departure time are the PG and Windstar ships in Tahiti. They both will wait for late arriving Hawaiian Air, ATN, and Air France flights, as often 20-30% of the people on the cruise are on those flights. I know for a fact that the PG waits every Saturday until the Hawaiian Air flight arrives. Those passengers get on board and find a boxed lunch and instructions to their muster drill the next morning in their cabin. As soon as they are boarded, the gang plank is pulled away and the ship sails.

I have missed two sailings. My first due to an alleged equipment problem with the airline which caused issues with many passengers but in this case I never left my home airport till late in the day. Did a catch-up two days later. The second time we arrived at the departure city but pilot could not land and we had to divert and be bussed down to port. We contacted the port to alert them but we arrived too late and was denied boarding. Had to fly to first port to board two days later. Now arrive early.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most folks learn after the first time :). Bottom line is that whenever you plan on flying into a departure port the day of a cruise, you are running a risk of missing the ship or perhaps making the ship without your luggage.

Many experienced cruisers have suggested here on CC, that all passengers fly in AT LEAST one day early. If that is truly not possible we suggest finding another cruise that leaves on a date...where you can arrive at least a day early. And if flying out of the Northern USA or Canada during the winter..or flying to a far away embarkation ports such as in Europe or Asia...we think that 2 + days early is wise.

Hank

We always fly in at least one day early. Last year, we got to LAX at about 5pm. Our cruise departed at 4pm, BUT the cruise was the next day. So we were fine. Had we missed the ship, it would be 5 days until she reached the first port in Hawaii.

My first ever Princess cruise was a Los Angleles-Hawaii-Los Angeles roundtripper in 2011. I usually have breakfast in the buffet and look for people to engage for 30 minutes, or so. On the return leg after visiting the islands I met a very nice couple from. I believe, Omaha. Their plan was to take a non-stop flight to LAX on embarkation day. When flying from east to west, time zones are working in your advantage. So, theoretically, is is pretty easy to touch down at LAX before noon.

Well, you know what's coming.

There was a problem and they could not get out of Omaha in time to travel across countty and get to the ship before we left.

I express sympathy, that these people missed four days of the cruise.

"Oh, no," the gentleman insisted. "It was great. Princess flew us to Hilo and put us up in a hotel. We had a great time in Hilo."

Now, I assume that they made their flight arrangements through Princess, and that is why they Princess picked up the tab for the air trip to Hilo and the hotel. I didn't ask him about meals. Maybe Princess gave them vouchers or something like that.

Anyway, these people were pleased with "Plan B." I had to admire their attitude.

On a subsequent cruise out of San Pedro, there was a ship's announcement, maybe 15 minutes before scheduled departure time, that our departure would be delayed for some passengers who were on a late-arriving plane. The delay turned out to be about 45 minutes. Again, I assume that these passengers made their flight arrangements through Princess.

On the other hand, I completely agree with Paul's prudence. ;)

The only time I have experienced a delay at embarkation was when a flight from the UK with lots of passengers was late. The captain announced that the ship would wait for them. (Miami)

On one of our Hawaiian cruises on Princess, a group of passengers were coming from the UK. There was a major snowstorm there and on top of that, we were having a record rainstorm in LA. The captain held the sailing for a few hours but had to set sail without these passengers. Don't know if they did fly to Hilo to meet up with the ship (and miss the first five days of the cruise). Any Brits we ran into, we asked if they were from this group and didn't find anyone who was. The ones we talked to had made other plans (some when they heard about the impending bad weather...and flew out of Paris or some other airport, and some came to the US days early, one couple had spent time in Vegas).

There are some itineraries that you can't fly to a future port, for example the northbound Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver. so it's a good idea to talk to the cruise line to find out what to do. but it's better to avoid this problem and get to your embarkation city at least a day ahead.

on a DCL sailing, when time came to go, MASTER announced we would be waiting for some late arrivals.

About an hour later 2 DCL busses arrived at the terminal (in Canaveral the DCL bus is "special" painted .... easy to spot) and about an hour after that we got underway .....

My best guess is there was a flight with a BUNCH of DCL folks that arrived late to ORLANDO, and that airport IS 45 minutes from the port ..... they were quickly processed and we went on our way .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

On our first Alaska cruise (which was our second cruise), we flew in the day of. It was a short flight from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, BC and we were supposed to arrive about 9 a.m. What could go wrong? Well, the plane had mechanical issues and there was delay after delay all day long. We finally left PDX mid-afternoon and arrived in Vancouver less than an hour before sail away ( I believe the airport is more than 30 minutes from the port, IIRC). After one wild cab ride from the airport to Canada Place--I've got to give that cab driver credit for taking our predicament seriously! He was determined to get us there before sail away! LOL. We burst into the very empty check-in area and they had one station still open. They were waiting us to arrive and called us by name as we approached. LOL. They checked us in and literally rolled up the gangway behind us. It's probably needless to say that since that experience we have always flown in early. I now travel solo most of the time (the kids are grown and I got rid of the ex ;)) and enjoy at least a day or two in the embarkation city before boarding.

That said, I'm taking the train from Portland to Seattle tomorrow (the angels are singing!) to board HAL Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon. But, I know exactly what I'll do if there's a delay. It's only a one-night cruise and if Plan B were to fail, I can still get to Vancouver in time to embark on the NCL Pearl on Monday. :D:D:D