Emerald for old people?

LuigiC

I have been reading different threads on the Emerald Princess because

I booked a cruise for my 33 yr old daughter and myself for Nov. 5, 2017.

I am getting concerned that she will be bored. Is it too old of a crowd to subject her to for a 7 day vacation?

I am getting concerned that she will be bored. Is it too old of a crowd to subject her to for a 7 day vacation?

Ooooohh, "old" is a very touchy word. I am not 33, but "old" is in the mind. I know 80 year old's that can swing circles around 33"s.

If you feel that the Emerald Princess is for "old" people, then you might want to cancel and rebook with something "younger" like Carnival.

A seven-day cruise will draw a much younger crowd than a fourteen day one.

I just finished a 12-day cruise with my dad. The most important part of the cruise was spending time with my dad, not worrying about the age demographic.

I'm 55 and my dad is 75. We live 3.5 hours away from each other, so I treasure the times we get to spend together.

Thoughts....

• You didn't book HAL..... Princess would be perfect for her.
  • Have her check the daily newsletter for activities and make sure she attends them. Perhaps look online for old newsletters to get an idea before the trip.
  • Go to the evening shows.
  • I brought DVD's and a laptop.... barely had time to use them. For others.... bring a book!
  • what would she be doing if she wasn't on a cruise?

Everyone no matter what age is entitled to cruise.

All cruise ships including Carnival do not discriminate in any way when it comes to age.

If ships did put barriers up on age they would be making the same mistake the whole world is making at this very moment on the question of race and look at the mess we are in?

A seven-day cruise will draw a much younger crowd than a fourteen day one.

I just finished a 12-day cruise with my dad. The most important part of the cruise was spending time with my dad, not worrying about the age demographic.

I'm 55 and my dad is 75. We live 3.5 hours away from each other, so I treasure the times we get to spend together.

This is exactly it, take me for instance (the young 48 yr old guy that I am). I can afford a 28 day cruise money wise, but time wise I can only do 7 days :(. So the longer the cruise the more retired folks.

Did you book it for her or with her? If with her it doesn't matter what ship you book, the good time will be you with your daughter. I have seen all age groups having a good vacations on a Princess cruise. In a few months join the roll call for this voyage. There you will find a variety of fellow passengers planning both shore and ship activities for the voyage. There will be lots of time to sit by the pool, eat 24/7, all kinds of daytime activities, evening shows from production shows to comics, line dancing, Zumba. Do everything or as some ads say nothing at all.

Everyone no matter what age is entitled to cruise.

All cruise ships including Carnival do not discriminate in any way when it comes to age.

If ships did put barriers up on age they would be making the same mistake the whole world is making at this very moment on the question of race and look at the mess we are in?

I do not think the OP was saying they were discriminated. Just trying to see what there is for a 33 yr old to do on the Emerald. There will be plenty to do from your mother all the way down to a 4 yr old and every age in between. If love is what you seek I think you can find that also, after all it is the "Love Boat":eek:.....LoL

I see Nov 5th is a 7-day Mexico cruise. OK, here's my take....In general Princess attracts an older more coupled crowd 50+, but some singles, families and younger folks will be on board. The longer the cruise; the older the crowd. But it's really hard to know exactly what the specific demographics will be your specific sailing date and without knowing your daughter and what she likes to do; it's hard to speculate if she will be bore or not. If her idea of a vacation being around the pool with bunch of young people or partying and dancing in a packed disco until the wee hours she will be very disappointed. Princess is an upscale mid range cruise line with good food and entertainment with beautiful lounge and bars. It's more a traditional type of cruise with plenty of activities from morning until night. But if trivia games, napkin folding or wine tasting isn't her thing then maybe Carnival Cruise Lines - "The Fun ships" might be a better choice as it attached many more younger people/couples, singles and families and probably better suited for someone 33. Carnival also does 7-day Mexico out of LA. But if she is cool with just relaxing around with pool, enjoying fine dining and shows and hanging with mom (and a mostly older crowd) she'd be OK. Again, there should be few younger folks on board and in the disco to keep her entertained. I'd discuss this with your daughter. What you can even do is Google "Princess Patters" or "Carnival Capers/Fun Times" ship's newsletters, print them out and she what line she prefers.

Edited by COMBOY

I've seen the posts about the Emerald being boring too - but what is often forgotten, I think, is that many times it's the itinerary and the cruise duration that is more important than the ship itself (in other words, I wouldn't automatically assume that the Ruby is boring just because some people think the Emerald is, etc).

We had a great time on the Emerald this past February on a Caribbean cruise.

So, to the OP - unless you think your daughter would be happier on a Carnival cruise, after reading some of the comments here, I say stick with the Emerald, and have a fantastic time, and I hope you'll return to tell us how great it was :)

Depending on the time of year and destination Princess will tend to have an older demographic then Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity....our experience is most people are past 50 and a larger number in their 60's and 70's....

7 days. Shouldn't be an issue for your daughter. My son did a couple of cruises with us when he was in his mid thirties. The first was a 10 day RT between SF and Alaska. He enjoyed it greatly and found a small contingent of passengers in his age group to hang out with at night.

The second time was a 15 day SF / Hawaii RT and he found that a bit too long. Again, he found a small contingent of people in his age group. He hung out with them at night and bought enough drinks that he ended up with a $1,000 bar bill. :eek: (One of the girls was having a birthday...) He has more ready cash than I have and didn't really mind the bar bill.

On a 7 day cruise there should be more young people than the longer cruises. We are booked for 28 days on Emerald next year. I would guess there won't be many younger folks -if any at all - on that cruise.

Spent 3 weks (also sold as 3 separate weeks) on the Emerald through Rome and Greece last year and the demographic was rather on the younger side But it may chjange when the ship comes over to Australia

It really depends - as previously stated - on the ports, and the time length of the cruise

Anyway those we have met taking their honeymoon on the cruise have not complained:D:D:D

Longer cruises and/or outside school holidays = older crowd.

Those are the cruises that we aim for. Lots of older people like ourselves with minimal kids on board.

We avoid all holidays except Halloween & Thanksgiving where the number seems to grow slightly and avoid March like the plague no matter how attractive the price. ;)

I do not think the OP was saying they were discriminated. Just trying to see what there is for a 33 yr old to do on the Emerald. There will be plenty to do from your mother all the way down to a 4 yr old and every age in between. If love is what you seek I think you can find that also, after all it is the "Love Boat":eek:.....LoL

It is the heading 'Emerald for old people' a tone of disrespect in my books.:(

Not only the Emerald but Princess in general is for old people. It's been noted that they have the oldest clientele in the industry. Even older than HAL.

Its obvious to me you did not understand my interpretation of this heading and its negative connotations.

What kind of person is your daughter? Is she a party all night 33 year old, an exploration/adventure 33 year old, a foodie 33 year old, etc...

My friend and I, both 31, are about to sail on Regal Princess and I'm not at all concerned about whether the general demographic will be older than us. We both love food, I love drinks but not to the point where I can't stand up straight, we love to explore beautiful settings/cityscapes/etc, we enjoy dressing up a little and a touch of class, and frankly we both love a good night's sleep. :D So Princess seems like a pretty perfect line, whatever the ages of the travelers. I would think more about what your daughter likes to do and what kind of personality she has to decide if it's the right sailing for her.