select dining debacle

suec12

In the past five years we have taken several European cruises and chosen the select dining option. It has never run very smoothly but I'd been reading on the boards before our Oct. cruise and did not see many complaints. So our group of 8 made this choice for our Silhouette cruise a few weeks ago. We booked very early and made reservations for 7:30 dining. The reservations were a total farce and the whole select dining experience took away from what in almost every other respect would have been a delightful trip.

The first 2 nights we appeared at our reservation time - given beepers - WAITED. The second night we received numerous apologies and were promised that it would be made right. And the 3rd night, we came earlier (7:15) and waited until almost 8:30. So for the next several nights we either did speciality dining or buffet.

For the final "evening chic" night, we tried again - and again waited over an hour. The maitre d apologized profusely again and said it was just on that cruise. Well we knew from our earlier cruises a few years ago, this was just not true. The wait staff seemed to be quite stressed and over-compensating for our irritation with the wait - we were well aware it was not their fault.

I was happy with the food in the MDR, still very good quality but the logistics are unacceptable. And it wasn't just our large party - couples waiting for a two top were waiting awhile too - even if they were willing to work in with another table. I've got to think the maitre d and main hostess must have been on the verge of nervous breakdowns there was so much frustration and unhappiness by waiting passengers. If they are not going to honor reservations, why let people make them?!

So the HO needs to get this figured out - I thought the number of diners in select was limited....to a number that could be handled, you would think. I don't want to do Aqua, again I like the MDR food. We got off the ship with no future cruise booking - first time in many years.

Edited by suec12

s - I Am so sorry that you had such a debacle for Select Dining, yet it would appear to me that trying to get a table for eight (8) could be a challenge. We had six (6) and it was a bit of a challenge.

Unfortunately, the Host or Hostess cannot control how other diners linger and etc...

Maybe on your next cruise line, you will fare better than being on X.

bon voyage

It's obvious you doing want to eat at 8:30p, nut since you were already, why not just take set dining? I understand why, many people want to eat at 7:00p or 7:39p and THAT is the problem. They can handle the numbers on 2-3 turns but if the larger tables fill at 5:30-6:30 and they don't turn, they will have many problems. Late dining would ensure you have a seat, just 60 minutes later and could make the shows, etc.

Just a thought?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We had an awful time on Celebrity Reflection in August. There was no evening we were happy! For the first three nights we were sat like battery hens two inches from other couples and then we had the beeper episode too. Following this we had another beeper evening...when we returned to the MDR we were told we "wouldn't mind sharing a table with others". Strangely enough we did mind having waited an hour for our table! So we began to ask for a table at least 5 inches away from other couples and mostly we got this. The MDR was a big disappointment on Reflection - food was uninspiring and dull. The first time we have found this. Too few choices and too much repetition. The buffet was much better and we did speciality dining twice - which was lovely.

We agreed that any time dining just isn't working - at times our food was warm rather than hot too. Worrying.

We just returned last night from our 14 night Silhouette cruise and had the same problem every single night. Three nights we were completely ignored after waiting for a long time and finally walked out without our coffee. The bleeper was used almost every night. One night we waited 90 minutes. I think part of the problem was caused by Celebrity changing the times for the shows which we also missed two or three times because of our late dining times. We love Celebrity and always have but this shouldn't happen. One night they sent us downstairs and it was even worse. I feel bad for the waiters. Our cruising buddies were in a suite but chose to eat with us. They were told that they "should" be going to Lumenaire (sp?). They tried to make reservations to be with us but were not able to even months in advance. This is the first time in many cruises that Celebrity has disappointed us. We are Elite plus, not that is matters, but we are not happy about this.

We have recently returned from Azamara Quest TA.

All dining in the MDR is 'Select.' We were always shown to a table immediately, be it for 2 or to share with other diners.

Maybe Celebrity ought to stop set dining times and have all Select, as I believe it is the most popular option.

We have recently returned from Azamara Quest TA.

All dining in the MDR is 'Select.' We were always shown to a table immediately, be it for 2 or to share with other diners.

Maybe Celebrity ought to stop set dining times and have all Select, as I believe it is the most popular option.

On my cruise only select dining has been available since booking - is now only a small area reserved for traditional dining?

On my cruise only select dining has been available since booking - is now only a small area reserved for traditional dining?

On the Eclipse this summer traditional dining was on the lower (larger?) level of the MDR

We must have been on the same sailing, on deck. Your comment makes me wonder if the problem was not, lingering by those seated earlier (as the hostess kept saying) but by poor service (waiting for coffee) that slowed the turnover.

It seems currently that there is the same if not more amount of table for fixed versus select.

I do know that there is one cabin steward now instead of two....not sure how many rooms they service. We did notice esp. in the Oceanview, beverage service could by be abysmal - usually we just went and got it ourselves.

A positive comment - there did seem to be an increased effort for bits of local foods - for example, in Lisbon, they had the famous Belem pastries. Also some tapas in Spanish ports (but they were not very good!). And twice they had some very nice risotto in the Oceanview, finished and served from large parmesan cheese rinds.

It's just st my opinion, but Select dining used to work when it was truly Select dining where you walked to the podium and were seated as you arrived. Now that they hold tables for people who wish to dine at a specific time / at a specific table / with a specific service team it has thrown the whole thing off. Couple 1 arrive at 7:00 and see a perfectly fine table for 2 but they can't be seated there because it's being held for Couple 2 who wish to dine there at 7:45. Blue has worked flawlessly (for the most part) because reservations aren't allowed.

Select Dining works fine for those of us who simply show-up and ask to be seated (we prefer to share a larger table). The problems are primarily with reservations...when the reserving party is large (like the OP) or wants something specific like a 2 top, certain table, etc. We have been on some vessels where the policy has simply been to accept limited or no reservations from 6pm until about 7:45. If a party of 8 wants to eat together it just makes more sense to book one of the fixed seatings and link the reservations.

Last year, when we were on the Regal, we did our usual Select and would just show-up around 8 asking to share. After a few days the guy handling the desk smiled and remembered our name.....and said he wished everyone was so easy to handle. This was after a group of folks, in front of us, were very unhappy because they could not get a large table with their specified waiter (because an earlier group at the same table was taking their time).

Hank

I do not think for a minute they are holding tables - we made reservations, we were never seated anywhere near the time! In fact when we asked the maitre d when he stopped by our table to check on us, he said if they did hold tables it would slow things down even more. So then why let people make reservations! He told us the problems were limited to our particular cruise - not true!

Again, either honor reservations and adjust the logistics to deal with the requests or have the policy acknowledged as first come first served. Another option would be to add a fixed dining option not so early or so late - that is why we have wanted to utilize select but no more.

Our first cruises on X, we had early dining, but after two cruises where the diners assigned to our tables just didn't cut it, we switched to select. We have done select since then, except for one cruise in Luminae when we were upgraded to a suite.

We usually opt to dine in large tables, sometimes we go to the MDR with a couple from the elite happy hour. We have never had the long wait that some expressed on this thread. I don't know if it matters, but since we have dined select, all the ships have been M class.

Also, we generally dine around 7pm or perhaps a bit earlier.

My husband and I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a two top in select. We showed up early - between 6 - 6:30 most nights.

Agree, never had an issue and never had a beeper. But like you there are only 2 of us and we tend to go early. So it works for us.

I kind of think that Select was designed for parties of 2 or 4 that don't make reservations. Nothing wrong with large parties or reservations but I bet they tend to think those folks will go with traditional dining.

enjoy

Select dining should be strictly first come first served..if no spaces available, use the beepers like Outback.

Select started when folks did not want to be locked into a set time of early or late seating for each night of the cruise..that makes some sense

..but then being able to make a set nightly res seems to run opposite to the gen concept...seems designed to flop esp with walk ins also being served

This......

Select Dining works fine for those of us who simply show-up and ask to be seated (we prefer to share a larger table). The problems are primarily with reservations...when the reserving party is large (like the OP) or wants something specific like a 2 top, certain table, etc. We have been on some vessels where the policy has simply been to accept limited or no reservations from 6pm until about 7:45. If a party of 8 wants to eat together it just makes more sense to book one of the fixed seatings and link the reservations.

Hank

In the past five years we have taken several European cruises and chosen the select dining option. It has never run very smoothly but I'd been reading on the boards before our Oct. cruise and did not see many complaints. So our group of 8 made this choice for our Silhouette cruise a few weeks ago. We booked very early and made reservations for 7:30 dining. The reservations were a total farce and the whole select dining experience took away from what in almost every other respect would have been a delightful trip.

The first 2 nights we appeared at our reservation time - given beepers - WAITED. The second night we received numerous apologies and were promised that it would be made right. And the 3rd night, we came earlier (7:15) and waited until almost 8:30. So for the next several nights we either did speciality dining or buffet.

For the final "evening chic" night, we tried again - and again waited over an hour. The maitre d apologized profusely again and said it was just on that cruise. Well we knew from our earlier cruises a few years ago, this was just not true. The wait staff seemed to be quite stressed and over-compensating for our irritation with the wait - we were well aware it was not their fault.

I was happy with the food in the MDR, still very good quality but the logistics are unacceptable. And it wasn't just our large party - couples waiting for a two top were waiting awhile too - even if they were willing to work in with another table. I've got to think the maitre d and main hostess must have been on the verge of nervous breakdowns there was so much frustration and unhappiness by waiting passengers. If they are not going to honor reservations, why let people make them?!

So the HO needs to get this figured out - I thought the number of diners in select was limited....to a number that could be handled, you would think. I don't want to do Aqua, again I like the MDR food. We got off the ship with no future cruise booking - first time in many years.

We always do late dining and have never had a problem. If we want to eat earlier, we do specialty or the buffet. We haven't done select bc we were concerned about what you experienced. We often see people waiting with beepers. We usually travel just DH and I or with 1 other couple and prefer a table for 2 or 4. Not anti-social, but had a bad experience dining with a couple we met in London years ago, and don't want to dine with "The Ugly Americans" again. We know we like each other.;)

Last year, when we were on the Regal, we did our usual Select and would just show-up around 8 asking to share. After a few days the guy handling the desk smiled and remembered our name.....and said he wished everyone was so easy to handle. This was after a group of folks, in front of us, were very unhappy because they could not get a large table with their specified waiter (because an earlier group at the same table was taking their time).

Hank

This......

X set the rules, not the people making the reservations.

I still think this is more to do with the amount of pax now booking Select since the grats system has changed (as I posted on the other thread stating exactly the same issues as this thread ;)). If X can't handle it, then they need to look at their systems.

We are just back from a 13 night cruise on the Eclipse to the Canaries etc. Dining was never a problem. We were always happy to join a table with others or seat as a two. We never had to wait and we would arrive any time after 6 30 to 7 15. The wait staff were lovely and recognised us more often then not - the sommelier quickly knew the wine choices we liked. The food was always the right temperature and served promptly. We loved the people we got to dine with - one couple we saw a few times.

As for the "ugly Americans" comment - that is just plain rude and in my opinion should be removed. Am glad we never got to dine with people who make such comments.