Watches on board

papacito

What are the prices on

Philip Stein

Citizen

Invicta

I have a lot of OBC and am Elite. Its a HI cruise so not Duty Free

Prices vary by style, design, functions etc so I really think it would be hard to state a price by brand only. Maybe someone else has better knowledge then me.

My husband has bought watches on board that were good deals but he did his research before boarding so he could compare prices at home with the ship prices. Good luck!

Edited by Happy2cruise

What are the prices on

Philip Stein

Citizen

Invicta

Even the Princess HI cruise will stop at one foreign port.

Of course if the price of the watch(es) exceeds your duty free limit you may need to pay some duty.

You could probably find better prices in stores than on the ship.

If you purchase a watch on the first or second day of your cruise you will receive 10% off. If you are a elite member you will receive another 10%. With 20% off you will beat most stores prices. I have found the ship prices are very good. I purchase a Philip Stein watch and it was $250.00 less then the US price and no tax.

Tony

What are the prices on

Philip Stein

Citizen

Invicta

When you are at sea all purchases are duty and tax free, and can be imported into the U.S. duty free if the value is below the exempted amount. If you exceed the exempted amount there is duty and tax upon entering the U.S.. Does not matter where you are sailing to or from.

Edited by sknight

Even the Princess HI cruise will stop at one foreign port.

Of course if the price of the watch(es) exceeds your duty free limit you may need to pay some duty.

Not true..

If any itinerary includes even one US port of call without customs formalities, Princess is not allowed to sell duty free on board, tax free yes, duty free no. On a the Hawaii itinerary you'll not see any "Duty Free" signs onboard, only "Tax Free" .

When arriving in Hawaii after the crossing there is no customs formalities, hence no duty free onboard. ..

The custom formalities at the end of a Hawaii cruise only relate to any purchases made in Ensenada MX.

Srpilo

If you purchase a watch on the first or second day of your cruise you will receive 10% off. If you are a elite member you will receive another 10%. With 20% off you will beat most stores prices. I have found the ship prices are very good. I purchase a Philip Stein watch and it was $250.00 less then the US price and no tax.

Tony

I am not trying to build up my post numbers but I wanted to restate this about the first couple of days. Look and see if they give that , otherwise worthless, coupon book and there will be a coupon in it that states the same thing.:D

I bought a Philip Stein watch on Princess. It was about the same price as I saw it online, so probably less than at a US store. It was around $400ish. The double face watches were more. I got the elite discount and maybe another coupon discount. No taxes. But, and this is the most important, is that I paid for it with OBC, so it was free to me. I know I might have been able to get a refund for some of that OBC, but I like having it as a memory of the cruise. I loved getting this wonderful watch for free.

I don't care about prices onshore I have OBC which i want to use up

Papacito, I am with you. Last year, had a bunch of OBC, went into the shop on the first night, bought a very nice Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium for $250 with all discounts (first night, plus Elite). I thought it was a good deal, and when I got home, looked all over the internet, and could not find the same watch for less than $292.

So, according to my calculations, I saved $292. Thanks, OBC!

Stan

I bought a Citizen eco drive on board. Got off the ship and saw the same watch on sale for the same price, well $2 more. Saved the sales tax.

Our experience is that many of the so called on sale duty free prices are not as attractive as one would be led to believe. No doubt there are some good offers...just not as many and fewer and further between than the on board adverts or tax free stores would lead one to believe. You really do have to compare by exact model numbers. Some manufacturers make similar looking models for different types of retail outlets. No different than the outlet malls where 80 plus percent of the inventory is typically speced for those outlets and not for the full price retail outlet.

Edited by iancal

Our experience is that many of the so called on sale duty free prices are not as attractive as one would be led to believe.

Yes, the merchandise on board is sold tax-free and duty-free, just like at the duty-free shops in airports.

However, the merchandise is usually sold at the full MSRP, just like in the airport shops. So what you can buy in the USA at a shop (or Internet shop) that discounts from the MSRP can end up costing less than on board the ship.

When it comes to items such as jewelry and watches, there is very little duty (if any) charged on those items when they are imported into the USA for sale in shops. So the fact something is sold "duty-free" on the ship does not really mean much anymore since chances are the same item is sold in the USA without any duty having been charged when the item was imported to be sold by retail outlets.

We generally buy the $10 watches (well $9 with Elite discount !!) at the Princess sale. We get 2 or 3 each and don't start them up. When the batteries give up, bin them and start up another, way to go, as watch batteries cost about $20 in Australia, double the price of the Princess watch.

Sure they are cheapies, but they look OK and tell you the time, what more do you want?

As I say, the more you buy the more you save. Just like Walmart.

Edited by NSWP

We generally buy the $10 watches (well $9 with Elite discount !!) at the Princess sale. We get 2 or 3 each and don't start them up. When the batteries give up, bin them and start up another, way to go, as watch batteries cost about $20 in Australia, double the price of the Princess watch.

Sure they are cheapies, but they look OK and tell you the time, what more do you want?

As I say, the more you buy the more you save. Just like Walmart.

Uncle Les

The big spender as always.

Though I admit to doing the same at times.

Sister's Stein watch has broken three times in a one year. No aid to sleeping or anything else. It is now in her jewelry box. Broken again...where it will stay. She can't be bothered to send it in for repair again.

She got sold a bill of goods on the ship.

Thru research I know the prices on invicta and citizen watches are better on amazon. Also safer to buy online due to repair/return issues.

To my knowledge amazon itself is not an authorized dealer for any of the major watch brands and thus is considered a grey market dealer. In this case manufacturers warranty's don't apply to those purchases. Not a big deal when dealing with a $200 purchase, but when you start moving towards a higher end watch it can be more problematic.

I know this isn't a concern for the OP since they are using up OBC and aren't looking elsewhere or cost comparing, but since you mentioned it I wanted to comment as well.

I don't find watches to be a good deal. For Citizen, i can do better at Macy's with a coupon.

For higher end watches I will go to a local retailer. After being stuck with a camera I bought on a cruise with a broken shutter, I am done with expensive items on cruise ships. So no Tissot for me on a ship. The local guy is going to get my business.

Know how much what you want costs at home before you splurge on the ship. I admit to not straying very far from the $10 jewelry table on cruise ships. But the Elite discount might be nice--but it doesn't matter when you fail to get support for your purchase afterwards.