Norovirus on Allure of the Seas

Dr.Kevin

We had 5 our of our group of 10 get Gastrointestinal Virus on Day 6, after St. Martin. It was obvious many others were sick. Does anyone have any more information on how many were sick aboard? We have been offered a one day "Credit" for the day in Isolation/Quarantine (not allowed to leave the cabin) which in our opinion is way to little. Those affected lost 2 1/2 days (the remainder of the Cruise) due to their illness and after affects. This was a long awaited group cruise, the non sick of our group lost out on the activities, companionship planned together. I spent the better part of two days assisting my sick wife and missed all of our planned activities. Any suggestions on how we can get fair compensation for our lost time and dollars would be appreciated.

Sounds like pretty fair compensation considering it wasn't totally in the cruise line's control. They don't have to reimburse you anything, but giving you compensation for days lost is fair in my opinion.

Life is sometimes unfair, I'm sorry your faction didn't go so well!

. Any suggestions on how we can get fair compensation for our lost time and dollars would be appreciated.

I would complain on social media, that seems to be the norm. By the way, what's fair?

Edited by setsail

I'm so sorry, but there is no compensation for loss of enjoyment on a cruise. It was nice of the cruise line to credit your missing day. When I came down with shingles on a cruise, I was not quarantined, but I also missed 3 days, and didn't enjoy it at all.

I'm sorry to hear about the Noro on board. These things happen, though. Noro can happen at anytime, anywhere - mall, church, school, work, hospital - - anywhere. It was not the cruise line's fault, but of course we do feel sad for you that your cruise was not all it could have been. I know you spent weeks and months planning this. As I said, these things happen. There will be no further compensation, just so you know. I have been here many years and read of many Noro outbreaks, and no one ever reported getting "compensation". Sorry. :(

I just don't get the logic of someone gets sick the cruise line owes them money. Issues within the cruise lines control should be compensated, someone catching noro is not within their control and could happen anywhere. No different than catching a cold or flu while cruising. Be thankful for what you already received as it was more than fair.

I just don't get the logic of someone gets sick the cruise line owes them money. Issues within the cruise lines control should be compensated, someone catching noro is not within their control and could happen anywhere. No different than catching a cold or flu while cruising. Be thankful for what you already received as it was more than fair.

Went on a 12 day coach tour in Ireland - a number of us caught a really bad cold and cough and missed some days excursions. No compensation and NO ONE even voiced the idea that we should have got some. It's like catching an illness at home. Unfortunate but that's life!

We had 5 our of our group of 10 get Gastrointestinal Virus on Day 6, after St. Martin. It was obvious many others were sick. Does anyone have any more information on how many were sick aboard? We have been offered a one day "Credit" for the day in Isolation/Quarantine (not allowed to leave the cabin) which in our opinion is way to little. Those affected lost 2 1/2 days (the remainder of the Cruise) due to their illness and after affects. This was a long awaited group cruise, the non sick of our group lost out on the activities, companionship planned together. I spent the better part of two days assisting my sick wife and missed all of our planned activities. Any suggestions on how we can get fair compensation for our lost time and dollars would be appreciated.

What you were offered is standard across the board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any suggestions on how we can get fair compensation for our lost time and dollars would be appreciated.

Welcome to CC - even if some of the replies were not so welcoming. You can call RCI on the post cruise issues number to ask for compensation but as others have mentioned you are not likely to get far.

Welcome to CC - even if some of the replies were not so welcoming. You can call RCI on the post cruise issues number to ask for compensation but as others have mentioned you are not likely to get far.

Our first cruise with Royal my daughter broke her foot the day before we left. Even with the insurance, I drug her on the boat anyway! Life happens unfortunately, sucks but just think about how great your next cruise will be!

When you call RCI, make sure you mention the lack of pepper grinders as well...

Might get you an extra day comped!

[emoji4]

Really you were compensated for Noro virus? We sailed on NCL a few years ago... first my husband got sick so I stayed with him... lost almost two days... then near end of cruise I got it... quarantined again. Missed most of the stops... I gained a new appreciation for a balcony cabin (at least you can look at something when stuck in the cabin) and a bathroom with a tub..( to place all the dirty towels and sheets -- we were really sick). We were actually charged for medication.... later they credited us for this... but no other compensation. Honestly I did not even consider asking for it... since you can get Noro virus anywhere. However, if you get it in a hotel... likely you aren't even there when it hits you.. so people dont associate it with hotel or restaurants.

Really you were compensated for Noro virus?

I think most here missed the point - the compensation was because they were quarantined, were not allowed to leave the room. It's better for RCI to comp a sick parson a day and lock them up in their room than risk infecting even more passengers.

I think Royal was generous with their offer. Consider this.....When one flies, it is highly possible to pick up a virus on board an airplane. My flight attendant friend calls airplanes "petrie dishes". Have you ever heard of an airline that reimbursed a passenger because they became ill? Who knows the source of the norovirus on the ship. With thousands of people on board, it's certainly possible that a virus could be brought on board and spread rapidly through no fault of the cruise line. Consider Royal's offer fair and move on.