Celebrity: Learn to say "No"

russg140

Just off the Silhouette TA where we had an A-MAY-ZZZZING time! My number one suggestion to Celebrity: There are times when you have to let your staff just say "No". Luminae was phenomenal and the review of our cruise will be written tomorrow, but the practice of allowing guests in Luminae to order from the Main Dining Room must stop. In no other restaurant on board is a guest allowed to order from another menu: You can't go into Tuscan and ask for Qsine's Sushi Lollipops. You can't go into the Main Dining Room and ask for the Grand Marnier souffle from Murano. Why do I care/what does it matter? Having the server retrieve food from the other kitchen takes time and takes them away from their other guests' enjoyment of their dinner. How do you fix it? When a guest says, "I'd like the onion soup (from the MDR) the server should be allowed to say, "I'm sorry, but that isn't on this evening's menu. If you'd like I can ask our Maitre D' to see if there is a table available in the MDR for you so you can enjoy that." Luminae's menu is available early enough that a suite guest that doesn't like it can choose to dine somewhere else.

I have to disagree. I have been in Murano and refused to order a desert because I did not like anything they offered. When asked what I like, I said the Chocolate Tombstone in Qsine. I did NOT request one but it appeared alongside my husband's desert order. I find that the wait staff are eager to please.

Edited by Project_gal

Just off the Silhouette TA where we had an A-MAY-ZZZZING time! My number one suggestion to Celebrity: There are times when you have to let your staff just say "No". Luminae was phenomenal and the review of our cruise will be written tomorrow, but the practice of allowing guests in Luminae to order from the Main Dining Room must stop. In no other restaurant on board is a guest allowed to order from another menu: You can't go into Tuscan and ask for Qsine's Sushi Lollipops. You can't go into the Main Dining Room and ask for the Grand Marnier souffle from Murano. Why do I care/what does it matter? Having the server retrieve food from the other kitchen takes time and takes them away from their other guests' enjoyment of their dinner. How do you fix it? When a guest says, "I'd like the onion soup (from the MDR) the server should be allowed to say, "I'm sorry, but that isn't on this evening's menu. If you'd like I can ask our Maitre D' to see if there is a table available in the MDR for you so you can enjoy that." Luminae's menu is available early enough that a suite guest that doesn't like it can choose to dine somewhere else.

Totally disagree.....it's about choices and it's nice to have them and doesn't adversely affect ANYONE....we are just off the Equinox TA two weeks ago and each night there were a few who ordered from the MDR menu, service was not impacted at all....we had wonderful service for all 13 nights..... I don't get how this impacts you at all......

We were very happy to order from Luminae and MDR menus recently on both Infinity and Reflection. Service was great. The OP is really stretching to complain here I think.

I'm looking to book our first suite on Celebrity (we have booked suites on NCL and MSC). One of the reasons was Luminae + reading threads here on how we could also order from the MDR menu "just in case."

:)

Suite guests should not plan on eating in Blu. I understand from the Maitre'd on Reflection that they won't be allowed in Blu after the New Year. That should help to alleviate some of the wait times. Maybe they will be able to order something off the Blu menu since on the M-Class the kitchens are collocated.

Why is it that everyone gets so bitter about what other people want to do on a cruise, particularly when and where they eat?

Don't get so hung up on what other people do - as long as you get what you want just shut up and enjoy it. There seems to be this need to blame someone who wants to eat at a fixed time, or not, or have reservations, or not, or have some particular desire for what they eat.

We are all there on vacation spending a lot of money (whatever level you are at it's a lot of money to you) to relax and be pampered. It's not your problem to figure out how to get what you want - that's the whole point. It's certainly not your place to blame another passenger for wanting what they want. That's the problem for the crew, and most of the time they are spectacularly good at it. When they turn out to be human some times, just smile and deal with it. Don't blame other passengers.

Suite guests should not plan on eating in Blu. I understand from the Maitre'd on Reflection that they won't be allowed in Blu after the New Year. That should help to alleviate some of the wait times. Maybe they will be able to order something off the Blu menu since on the M-Class the kitchens are collocated.

Interesting. I only dined in Blu once for breakfast on our recent TA and that was so I could dine with some friends. With all the complaining about Blu on the TA I am surprised that very many suite guests dined in Blu for dinner. Although I read some complaints about Luminae from some people, so maybe they did. The Reflection has so many more suites than the other ships and Luminae can get very busy at times, although Kathy and I did not have any issues. I have found out from post cruise reviews that there were some Corporate connected non suite cruisers who were allowed to dine in Luminae which probably made it worse.

Although not allowing suite guests to dine in Blu is not an issue for us I will be surprised especially on the Reflection. I suspect if Celebrity does change the policy it will be like the "no Elite coupons allowed" at the Sunset Bar type of policy which did lead to less people because cruiser's believed it.

Why would someone pay to go to a speciality then order from the menu in the MDR? That makes no sence what so ever. Nor can you order off a speciality menu anywhere but in that venue. We have never seen anyone attempt to do this. You want the Grand Mariner soufflé? Pay the fee for the seat.

Luminae and Blu are simply the rooms to dine in assigned to a cabin category.

Has Celebrity tweaked their menus? Yes. But they also know that they got to their current level because a number of their passengers have enjoyed the items offered in the MDR for a long time. Before there were ever 'additional' places to sit an eat.

So are you saying that patrons of Luminae should be able to obtain an item they prefer off any menu on the ship or not? What's the difference where the item is due to be served as it appears from the replies here that if they want it and ask, there's every chance they will get it, irrespective of which menu it's on that evening. Is this what the OP is stating is hindering/slowing service?

They did learm to say NO but it was in BLU on Infinity...no can do this, no can do that...first time we experienced that...

.Mostly no one was around to find out if you needed anything..Hope it was an isolated experience because we are booked in BLU on Inf again next yr.. Seems staff was reduced at expense of service...maybe sent to other venues. Tuscan, Q sine, buffet & even MDR were fine!

Edited by hcat

Just off Infinity. Absolutely no problem ordering items from the MDR menu and no problem with service in Luminae. The service was excellent. If I am to pay suite prices, I expect to be able to order what I want. I believe Celebrity has realized this and acted accordingly.

If I replaced "Infinity" with "Constellation"; my response would be practically match!

Also - we are vegetarians and were "encouraged" to look at the MDR menu by our excellent waiter, such that we could have a choice and chance of having something that we could eat.

It impacted no one and the service was excellent!

Heather

They did learm to say NO but it was in BLU on Infinity...no can do this, no can do that...first time we experienced that...

.Mostly no one was around to find out if you needed anything..Hope it was an isolated experience because we are booked in BLU on Inf again next yr.. Seems staff was reduced at expense of service...maybe sent to other venues. Tuscan, Q sine, buffet & even MDR were fine!

While we like Michael's Club we like going to the Captain's Club events in the Sky Lounge before dinner. We were on a S Class ship. We would leave the Sky Lounge about 7pm and walk outside down to the Oceanview Café to use the elevators to go down to Luminea. More than once we saw the staff that should be in Luminae working in the Oceanview Café. They have the staff working else where until they staff are needed in Luminae. It is all about cut backs to save money.

I have to agree with the OP. Our experience on Infinity was impacted by the amount of off menu ordering by guests. How do we know that? Because that's the reason given to us by the Maitre D when we commented on very patchy service. He said his staff were scared to say no to some in high end suites he told us

They explicitly offer the MDR menu to those dining in Luminae, so it's not off-menu ordering to order from the MDR. I have done it and my traveling companions have done it and it has never impacted our service.

Off-menu ordering would be saying "I want trout tonight" when trout isn't on the menu anywhere. I would have taken the Maitre D's comments to the hotel director if he was allowing the staff to ignore other diners in service to a handful of other passengers. This is the definition of "not my problem."

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There were several nights on our recent sailing where I could not find anything that I could eat due to the preparation, the protein, etc. and having the ability to leverage the MDR menu was helpful and accommodating.

Why should the other member of my party not be able to order from the Luminae menu because I am unable to find something I can eat. Are we to dine separately that evening?

If ordering from the Luminae menu is "mandatory" then the menu needs to be expanded to accommodate the varying needs of the guests and their pallets.

Just my opinion.

They did expand the Luminae menu. They did it with the MDR menu.

They could, just provide a supplemental menu and remove any MDR references either printed or verbal and most dinner guests would not see/know any difference is my guess.

Celebrity gets it coming and going. Here they are working to provide more and get called out.

Edited by shipshape sam

I didn't pay to go to Luminae. I was with a group of people who dined there so I wasn't going to go and sit on my own and eat in the MDR because I looked at the Luminae menu and didn't see a main course I fancied. Makes perfect sense to me.

Luminae is not a Specialty venue, you can order anything you like from the MDR menu there. That is the point, it is no problem.

So are you saying that patrons of Luminae should be able to obtain an item they prefer off any menu on the ship or not? What's the difference where the item is due to be served as it appears from the replies here that if they want it and ask, there's every chance they will get it, irrespective of which menu it's on that evening. Is this what the OP is stating is hindering/slowing service?

I said,

"Why would someone pay to go to a specialty then order from the menu in the MDR?"

Luminae is not a specialty.

I said,

"Why would someone pay to go to a specialty then order from the menu in the MDR?"

Luminae is not a specialty.

But the OP didn't state that, he/she said go into the MDR and ask for something on the Murano menu, not the other way around. The question is whether one should go into Luminae and be allowed to order anything from other menus around the ship - or maybe I have misunderstood what the OP was stating?

I hope this is on Reflection only. Our cruise booking for early January on another ship was on the advertised basis supported by a published q and a document which confirmed we could dine in Blu on a space available basis. We are not time sensitive on the evenings we hope to dine in Blu. Luminae does not appeal to us every night

OP, you make it sound like Luminae guests that order off the Main Dining Room menu are getting special treatment that should be denied. Not so, it is a perk that comes along with suite dining.

We did a galley tour on Silhouette, the kitchen areas are steps apart. If your servers lead you to believe that it was impacting their ability to serve well, they are looking for excuses.

How do you feel about drink orders? Should you not order a latte, a special bottle of wine, Bloody Mary, martini, etc. from Luminae ...? All of these require a few extra steps out of the dining area.

FWIW, we received extraordinary service in Luminae and did order off the MDR menu on a few occasions, as did others. I hope the option does not disappear.

Edited by sippican

But the OP didn't state that, he/she said go into the MDR and ask for something on the Murano menu, not the other way around. The question is whether one should go into Luminae and be allowed to order anything from other menus around the ship - or maybe I have misunderstood what the OP was stating?

It was prob me that mis understood.

I hope this is on Reflection only. Our cruise booking for early January on another ship was on the advertised basis supported by a published q and a document which confirmed we could dine in Blu on a space available basis. We are not time sensitive on the evenings we hope to dine in Blu. Luminae does not appeal to us every night

"Space available" are weasel words. I was not allowed to eat in Blu on Constellation two years ago because they were supposedly full every night (this was before Luminae was open). And Celebrity has also changed several things after-the-fact. Buried in your cruise agreement is language that allows them to do so.

BlU on Ref was slightly larger b/c originally they had AQ Suites,..later re assigned as suites...not AQ

Problem in BLU on Infinity in our opinion was more a lack of staff.. most.esp when the venue was at peak capacity,,.and also other times . Having a maitre d serve, take orders and bus tables mean he/she cannot supervise staff very well...The kitchen was very slow, staff not well trained and many assistants lacked basic language skills. Tables were neglected for long periods other than the wine server,

Having a dedicated BLU might keep us booking AQ but only if they dump the squab, quail pheasant duck,...repeated menus,,,We like prime rib, veal, fish etc,,,just so much game bird one can take per cruise...if not we will go back a step or two in booking

Edited by hcat

Back to OP's title: Celebrity is trying to position their Suites against luxury cruise lines. It is a point of pride that staff on luxury cruise lines do not know how to say "no."

I dont understand? That is not the title of this thread.:confused: