First timers in a balcony cabin

CruiseMuch?

Hello, we have cruised plenty in the past. We finally spent some extra money & booked a premium balcony room for our next cruise. My question is, what should we pack to most benefit from the balcony. I have heard some say a bungee cord to prop the door open. I am looking for ideas like this. Thank you & happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, we have cruised plenty in the past. We finally spent some extra money & booked a premium balcony room for our next cruise. My question is, what should we pack to most benefit from the balcony. I have heard some say a bungee cord to prop the door open. I am looking for ideas like this. Thank you & happy cruising!

Having stayed in balcony staterooms most of our cruising life I can't think of anything special to pack to benefit most from having the balcony. Not sure why that would even be a concern. Just go out and enjoy it! And BTW most cruise companies would not allow anything to prop the door open (and many of them are sliders anyway) as the pressure differential between the inside of the staterooms and the outside causes the stateroom door to slam shut when the balcony door is open, and will force the outside are to be sucked strongly in. It is not like a gentle summer breeze on your porch at home. Do not do that!

On a different note I do know of one fellow CC'r (who will remain nameless) who brings a hammock to string to the structure on the balcony, although many balconies are not really large enough to accommodate this. Some cruise lines frown upon this as well. ;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

A great way to get acquainted with your neighbors is to step out on your balcony and welcome the morning's sunrise with a song or two played on the bagpipes. :D:D:D

A great way to get acquainted with your neighbors is to step out on your balcony and welcome the morning's sunrise with a song or two played on the bagpipes. :D:D:D

I don't advise that.

I think it will get the same reaction as when I used to play Reveille on my bugle to welcome the dawn on my balcony.

Some folk are just soooo grumpy at that time of the day. :rolleyes:

JB :D

All of our balcony doors have been sliding doors...

There is no reason to keep the door open....the AC on most ships is affected by the open door...it stops working! All you are hearing thru the door is wind...and it causes a wind tunnel effect that makes the cabin door slam (and slam HARD) when the balcony door is open!

I think binoculars are handy...we take them anytime we are at the beach or on a cruise...love to check out the passing ships!

Binoculars for sure. Also if you bring your stainless RTIC or Yeti or similar tumbler great for person first up to go get some hot coffee. But for me the bottles of wine. We were allowed one each on each of our cruises so far so really is nice to have when the urge strikes.

To benefit from a balcony, bring some really good books to read out there. I love to do that! Also, it is fun to order breakfast to be delivered to the room to eat on the balcony, or even just tea, coffee, and muffins to have before going to the dining room for breakfast. Other than that, bring sunglasses and a good camera, because you'll want to be taking pictures. You could bring binoculars too, but I really only found that I used them in Alaska.

OUr very first cruise was a concierge class balcony. I thought I would use it more than I did but it was a May cruise from NY to Bermuda and it was just too cold (mind you we had just returned from living in Africa (near the equator) so our thermostats were a bit off.

Since then we have booked inside or ocean view because we find that if we want to enjoy the weather, there are lots of decks to do so.

That being said, this upcoming cruise we found a ridiculous deal for a Concierge class balcony so we took it. I don't bring anything special but I remember we did take advantage of room service for breakfast so we could sit on our balcony and drink our coffee. That was the most pleasant part of having the balcony. I am bringing a small memory foam back pillow for this cruise as I find the chairs on the balconies aren't very comfortable.

I've watched a Youtube video on how to string up a hammock on your balcony but I'm not sure I would want to chance it-it does sound lovely though.

Bring something to wear as soon as you get out of bed in the morning. Especially if you rise late and have left the balcony curtains open. Otherwise, the people on the balconies of the ship docked opposite you will get a real eye full!

Otherwise we don't really pack anything that we wouldn't pack if we were anywhere else. I wouldn't advise keeping the balcony door open. Unless you like the effect all that humidity has on all your belongings.

Edited by mom says

We don't pack any different.

On most (all???) lines leaving your door open is frowned upon.

Edited by GUT2407

I always sunbathe naked on the balcony.

I remember reading years ago about a guy who did that as the ship steamed to an early afternoon arrival in port, while his wife was elsewhere on the ship. He fell asleep. As luck would have it, his side of the ship docked in full view of everyone on the ship across the dock. He was the center of attention for many people that day. Photos even showed up on the internet, making him famous for the wrong reason! Yikes!!!

Edited by sloopsailor

you are not permitted to keep the door open. one, it creates w=one hell of a wind tunnel if the outer door to the passage way is open., 2, the HVAC will either not function at all or be over loaded if the door is open letting all that humid air in. this will affect not only YOUR cabin, but those surrounding you as well.

you enjoy your balcony by having early morning pastries and coffee delivered by room service as you watch the sun rise. or enjoy a cheese platter at sunset. have a nap. people watch if you are facing port side on port days.

Sorry that this isn't a very helpful post but you all just reminded me of a story...

I went on a cruise with my gran and she was on crutches for whatever reason. Managed to 'drop' one of her crutches over the edge. Never did find out how she did it!! Luckily we were in port and it landed on the side :')

So what to not bring... a crutch.

There is no reason to keep the door open....the AC on most ships is affected by the open door...it stops working! All you are hearing thru the door is wind...and it causes a wind tunnel effect that makes the cabin door slam (and slam HARD) when the balcony door is open!

I think binoculars are handy...we take them anytime we are at the beach or on a cruise...love to check out the passing ships!

Mot ships plead with guests to not leave thei balcony door open. We have never found the need to let all that airconditioneed air waste energ yDon't. leave you door open and think of those who suffer from over stressing the coolling system

Edited by sail7seas

Afgter many hundreds off days with ship v eranahs, I cannott think o f anything specialI b ring to udsr out th ere except for a few c lips to hold a towel from bloeing off gther c haise lounges.

If you plan to play music, think of you neighbors who may not like your play list and should not have to listen to it.

Edited by sail7seas

if a Caribbean cruise, presumably most off us would bring sunscreen whether we have a balcony or not. thus, we would not b e bringining it specifically because of the balcony. I don't bring anything I can think of for use just because of balcony.