Comparing ships new vs. old....

Hsmama

so in my research here I am learning something new constantly..... I am comparing 2 cruise itineraries at this point, to AK on either HAL Oosterdam, or Carnival Legend. I just read that the Legend is somewhat older,and in need of repairs (tho I assume it's still in decent shape) and the Oosterdam is practically brand new...... assuming either itinerary works for us, is there a real benefit in choosing the newer vs. the older ship? I would guess(?) the newer is a better choice..... advice?

I believe they're both the same age, and both were built on basically the same platform so layouts are similar. I wouldn't hesitate to sail either one, and Alaska is more about the itinerary than the ship.

Roz

Carnival Legend Built 2002, 87,500 tons 1062 cabins.

Oosterdam built 2003 82,325 tons, 1012 cabins.

Some people only want to sail the newest ships. anything over two years is OLD to them.

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The Oosterdam is nowhere near brand new, but she was just refurbished. Legend was refurbished 2 years ago.

When it comes to Oosterdam or Legend, go with whatever cruise line suits you best. There's a big difference between HAL and Carnival.

Edited by Aquahound

I believe they're both the same age, and both were built on basically the same platform so layouts are similar. I wouldn't hesitate to sail either one, and Alaska is more about the itinerary than the ship.

Roz

IMHO, choice of ship/line is always a critical element. Folks eat and sleep there, often for more than a week. And there are significant differences from line to line - not unlike a hotel. Ten days on some junky mattress in a low end hotel (or on a low end ship) and food reminiscent of Appleby's or Olive Garden is a real turn-off for many seasoned travelers.

As for age of ship: just look at the long-overdue and now stunning transformation of the old Ocean Princess into Oceania's Sirena. Amazing what can be done with only a few million dollars.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I've taken 4 Alaskan cruises - 3 on HAL and 1 on Carnival. Guess which one I liked the best? Carnival! Their Alaskan cruises are quite different from their Caribbean cruises.

Roz

I've taken 4 Alaskan cruises - 3 on HAL and 1 on Carnival. Guess which one I liked the best? Carnival! Their Alaskan cruises are quite different from their Caribbean cruises.

Roz

Which one goes to Glacier Bay? I am pretty sure that HAL does but I do not know about Carnival.

DON

My Carnival cruise went to Glacier Bay, and it was spectacular. Many HAL and Princess cruises go there, but not all. Again, I think the itinerary is more important than the line or ship.

Roz

so in my research here I am learning something new constantly..... I am comparing 2 cruise itineraries at this point, to AK on either HAL Oosterdam, or Carnival Legend. I just read that the Legend is somewhat older,and in need of repairs (tho I assume it's still in decent shape) and the Oosterdam is practically brand new...... assuming either itinerary works for us, is there a real benefit in choosing the newer vs. the older ship? I would guess(?) the newer is a better choice..... advice?

If it's a genuine age difference, personally I prefer the older ships.

But I'd be looking more at last refurbishment rather than build year if I wanted newest.

wow thanks! I don't know why I thought the Oosterdam was so new.... (too much info coming at me lol) but I will heed your words and go for the itnerary that we want the most I guess. Again since we're noobs probably whatever we choose is going to impress us.

wow thanks! I don't know why I thought the Oosterdam was so new.... (too much info coming at me lol) but I will heed your words and go for the itnerary that we want the most I guess. Again since we're noobs probably whatever we choose is going to impress us.

Another tip is to have a balcony cabin as this makes the scenery so much more accessible. :D

The Oosterdam is nowhere near brand new, but she was just refurbished. Legend was refurbished 2 years ago.

When it comes to Oosterdam or Legend, go with whatever cruise line suits you best. There's a big difference between HAL and Carnival.

This has not been mentioned again...but IMO this is the key ingredient. HAL and Carnival are night and day. And OP has to consider what passenger set he/she prefers to align with. Otherwise, there may be some shock and disappointment.

I did one HAL. It was fine, but I much prefer the pace and activities on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian.

This has not been mentioned again...but IMO this is the key ingredient. HAL and Carnival are night and day. And OP has to consider what passenger set he/she prefers to align with. Otherwise, there may be some shock and disappointment.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The OP said...

...assuming either itinerary works for us...

That's why I didn't get into the whole itinerary subject. If both itineraries work for the OP, they should choose the line that best suits them.

Edited by Aquahound

That's why I didn't get into the whole itinerary subject. If both itineraries work for the OP, they should choose the line that best suits them.

I get your point but n fairness, many Alaskan itineraries may look very similar due to the ports but it is the cruising along the inside passage and going into Glacier Bay, etc that may be quite a difference to a cruise itinerary. I would certainly, want Glacier Bay on my itinerary.

I get your point but n fairness, many Alaskan itineraries may look very similar due to the ports but it is the cruising along the inside passage and going into Glacier Bay, etc that may be quite a difference to a cruise itinerary. I would certainly, want Glacier Bay on my itinerary.

gotcha.... the more I read, the more I agree with this too..... I am narowing down some choices....

Another tip is to have a balcony cabin as this makes the scenery so much more accessible. :D

I would have to disagree with this. The view from a balcony is limited. If scenery is important (and it is the whole point of an Alaska cruise, IMO), then spending waking hours on the open decks is the only way to go. Sunnier, 360 views.

When we sailed AK, we ended up spending only two hours of the entire ten days on our balcony.

We will always book an oceanview cabin in the future. Closer to the water, to enjoy the sea otters and other smaller creatures, with most time, again, on upper decks.

Actually, most of the time on your cruise you will be essentially out sight of the scenery - and when you are in a bay of fjord less than half the scenery woul be visible from your balcony - much better at those times to be on an open upper deck - the rest of the time, weather is likely to make your balcony unusable. We almost always sail with a balcony - but never to Alaska.

Agree with those who said "Yes" on the balcony. If you have a balcony, you can still always go up on an open deck for part of the trip if you want to. If you don't have a balcony, you can't stay inside where it's warm & cozy, watching scenery go by, and quickly step outside to take a spectacular photo when the opportunity arises. We love the balcony especially for early morning arrivals into port, when we may not yet be out of our PJ's, and sail-away's, where we may need to be in the cabin getting ready for dinner.

The Carnival Legend began service in December 2001.

The HAL began service in January 2002.

The differences in ages is one month. If you think that one month makes a big difference in ships that are over fourteen years old, then pick the one that is "practically brand new".

Actually, most of the time on your cruise you will be essentially out sight of the scenery - and when you are in a bay of fjord less than half the scenery woul be visible from your balcony - much better at those times to be on an open upper deck - the rest of the time, weather is likely to make your balcony unusable. We almost always sail with a balcony - but never to Alaska.

But most fiords tend to be dead ends, so if you are on your balcony you see one side as you sail in and the other on the way back out.:p

Agree with those who said "Yes" on the balcony. If you have a balcony, you can still always go up on an open deck for part of the trip if you want to. If you don't have a balcony, you can't stay inside where it's warm & cozy, watching scenery go by, and quickly step outside to take a spectacular photo when the opportunity arises. We love the balcony especially for early morning arrivals into port, when we may not yet be out of our PJ's, and sail-away's, where we may need to be in the cabin getting ready for dinner.

Agreed. Definitely worth it.:D