#16 on wait list for Regal 12/29 - what are my chances?

spyro1952

Due to family issues trying to plan a cruise for over the holidays this year has been a full time job. I finally saw a flicker at the end of this tunnel and called today to book the Regal on 12/29. I am supposedly #16 on the waitlist for the first available inside or balcony cabin.

Should I immediately defect to a HAL (which I've never sailed on) on 12/31 or try and wait it out, hoping for a massive flu outbreak somewhere??

Due to family issues trying to plan a cruise for over the holidays this year has been a full time job. I finally saw a flicker at the end of this tunnel and called today to book the Regal on 12/29. I am supposedly #16 on the waitlist for the first available inside or balcony cabin.

Should I immediately defect to a HAL (which I've never sailed on) on 12/31 or try and wait it out, hoping for a massive flu outbreak somewhere??

I'd wait it out. There's usually a number of cancellations. Just remember that the cabin that does become available could be a pricey one.

That is not very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess your chance for Regal's 12/29 sailing is slim. But as you said, anything can happen.

Part of the answer is how do you get to the port if you do clear the waitlist.

If driving, no problem.

If flying, you may have a problem getting reasonably priced tickets for the date you want at the height of the holiday season.

Don't know which HAL ship you are looking at but I would be pretty confident saying that whichever ship it is, it will not be anything close in appearance to the Regal.

That said, I have sailed HAL several times and if the itinerary and pricing are right, I say go for HAL. Just remember that it will probably be an older crowd.

We have sailed several HAL cruises during the holidays. The average age comes down for them. Last week's cruise that we took on the Caribbean had a much older demographic than our HAL holiday cruises.

That said, if the OP wants the bells and whistles of the Regal, a HAL cruise probably won't satisfy.

Part of the answer is how do you get to the port if you do clear the waitlist.

If driving, no problem.

If flying, you may have a problem getting reasonably priced tickets for the date you want at the height of the holiday season.

OP would have about a 1 hour at most drive to Port Everglades.

Edited by Moondogy

The Vegas odds are 60 - 40 in your favor Good Luck!!

Tony

Thanks for the positive vibes Tony!!

Don't know which HAL ship you are looking at but I would be pretty confident saying that whichever ship it is, it will not be anything close in appearance to the Regal.

It really has nothing to do with ships etc or bells & whistles. With over 50 cruises on Princess I have a lot of perks that I really don't want to give up and learn a new "ship or cruise line culture".

That said, I have sailed HAL several times and if the itinerary and pricing are right, I say go for HAL. Just remember that it will probably be an older crowd.

Young crowd, older crowd it doesn't matter to me as I am traveling solo and do my own thing.

And yes I am about 50 mins from the port so I do have that advantage of being able to take a last minute vacancy.

Thanks everyone - I'll let you know if I get on!!

Edited by spyro1952

Young crowd, older crowd it doesn't matter to me as I am traveling solo and do my own thing.

And yes I am about 50 mins from the port so I do have that advantage of being able to take a last minute vacancy.

Thanks everyone - I'll let you know if I get on!!

We would be in trouble if we lived that close.

If you waitlist, don't just sit back and "wait" for the system to magically work itself out and hopefully clear you. Get on the waitlist AND check inventory a couple times a day. The only time I was on a waitlist w/Princess, I continually checked inventory. When I saw a stateroom become available on line, I grabbed it on a 24 hour hold, then called Princess. Although there were people ahead of me on the waitlist, they said they were obligated to give the room to me since I had physically reserved it in my name, etc. So that experience pretty much confirmed to me that when someone cancels a room, it goes back into general inventory regardless if there are people on a waitlist.

Good luck and be proactive! ;)

Your chances are pretty good. However, it might come down to the wire. We had to cancel a March, 2016 cruise four days prior, due to my husband's medical emergency. The chances of someone becoming ill or having a death in the family among thousands of people unfortunately is pretty high. On a positive note, I heard of a man who was booked on a Carnival cruise who won ten million in the lottery and bagged his cruise that week to collect the money. Many of those 16 waitlists might opt to book something else and give up their spots on the list. You also have the benefit of being close in Florida. Plus, you are looking for a single stateroom. That cruise date is very popular with families and the cruise might have a passenger maximum which would prevent third or fourth berths. Good luck.

If you waitlist, don't just sit back and "wait" for the system to magically work itself out and hopefully clear you. Get on the waitlist AND check inventory a couple times a day. The only time I was on a waitlist w/Princess, I continually checked inventory. When I saw a stateroom become available on line, I grabbed it on a 24 hour hold, then called Princess. Although there were people ahead of me on the waitlist, they said they were obligated to give the room to me since I had physically reserved it in my name, etc. So that experience pretty much confirmed to me that when someone cancels a room, it goes back into general inventory regardless if there are people on a waitlist.

Good luck and be proactive! ;)

Thanks BEAV, I'll do that.

Your chances are pretty good. However, it might come down to the wire. We had to cancel a March, 2016 cruise four days prior, due to my husband's medical emergency. The chances of someone becoming ill or having a death in the family among thousands of people unfortunately is pretty high. On a positive note, I heard of a man who was booked on a Carnival cruise who won ten million in the lottery and bagged his cruise that week to collect the money. Many of those 16 waitlists might opt to book something else and give up their spots on the list. You also have the benefit of being close in Florida. Plus, you are looking for a single stateroom. That cruise date is very popular with families and the cruise might have a passenger maximum which would prevent third or fourth berths. Good luck.

That's my thinking here too and especially because I can just drive to the port. Now if I won the lottery I'd probably cancel too or else just hire a whole ship and invite a couple thousand of my closest friends.