three quarter length slacks for ladies after 6:00 pm

markser

My wife is planning on taking some nice three quarter length slacks for ladies on our cruise in a few days. She suddenly wondered whether they are OK after 6:00 pm to wear to dinner in the Compass Rose or Sette Marie. They are slightly longer than mid-calf length.

Thanks.

I have seen them onboard but think that they look tacky. IMO, three quarter length slacks are for day wear. IMO, it doesn't take much for a lady to wear slacks. It reminds me of men that want to wear polo or Hawaiian shirts - they are "acceptable" but don't fit in with the rest of the passengers. JMHO.

Edited by Travelcat2

I have seen them onboard but think that they look tacky. IMO, three quarter length slacks are for day wear. IMO, it doesn't take much for a lady to wear slacks. It reminds me of men that want to wear polo or Hawaiian shirts - they are "acceptable" but don't fit in with the rest of the passengers. JMHO.

👍

We are on the Navigator now and have not seen any "high-waters" after 6pm. Nor jeans, for that matter. Seems as though everyone's going-with-the-flow on this voyage.

BTW....Navigator looks great post-refurb and the expanded CR menu is great. A few evenings of slower than normal service but I think they are just working out the kinks. Crew is fantastic. Our butler and preferred waiter, both from India, arranged the BEST Indian dinner for us and our 4 guests....everything from traditional appetizers and pre-dinner cocktails in our suite to a full dinner of seafood, chicken, veggie delicacies in CR served family-style.

I am sure you did not mean to accuse the OP's wife of being tacky. I hope they don't take too much offence ;)

However, I must admit that on our various cruises we have seen plenty of individuals, male and female, who fully comply with the dress code but still manage to look a total mess :eek:

Others, who stretch the rules, look extremely stylish

If they are black silk gauchos, then they look like a skirt and I would say they were fine.

If they are tight ones like clam diggers, I believe they are more for daytime.

It is too bad people have to call names. This nice person asked nicely.

She/he also did not mention jeans.

There are some lovely evening just above ankle length trousers available - certainly here in the UK. Some of brocade fabric or similar. They look lovely if you have good ankles and pretty shoes or evening sandals. I would agree that just plain cotton ones are perhaps not as suitable - though Regent is much more casual nowadays after 6, and if not denim would certainly be allowed, I think.

I am sure you did not mean to accuse the OP's wife of being tacky. I hope they don't take too much offence ;)

However, I must admit that on our various cruises we have seen plenty of individuals, male and female, who fully comply with the dress code but still manage to look a total mess :eek:

Others, who stretch the rules, look extremely stylish

I said what I meant to say and was obviously making a general statement as I would never call another poster tacky (or any other name). We have never seen a person that complies with the dress code to be "a total mess". Some people have a different style sense or may simply not wear clothing as well as others but at least they are trying.

Peggy, thanks for bringing up jeans - IMO this is the most sensitive and often intentionally violated part of Regent's dress code which is probably why it is mentioned every single day in Passages.

Kwaj Girl: Thanks so much for your comments on the refurbished Navigator. I read every positive Navigator post to my DH who once stated that he will never go on the Navigator again. He is definitely softening on the subject:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

IMO - either Regent has a dress code that is enforced or they eliminate it because after just spending one month on the Explorer, I have witnessed that the interpretation of "elegant casual" leaves much to the imagination. In fact, EVERY morning when John (CD) did his morning television announcements, he was at times pleading with the passengers to please respect the dress code. While a majority of people do comply, we witnessed one women who twice wore ripped leggings and a long t-shirt to dinner and many gentlemen wearing collarless short sleeve shirts and khaki (non-ironed) pants. We also saw non-denim jeans.

While we do not need the fashion police, there does need to be some guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not, so that people are not left guessing.

A suggestion would be Friday/Saturday evening country club restaurant attire, but non USA passengers may not understand this. Although I personally do not belong to a country club, I have many friends/relatives/colleagues who do and from my limited experience, the dress code is well understood and enforced.

BTW - we have seen a number of women wearing 3/4 length pants in Compass Rose.

gnomie :)

Really hoping that this thread does not turn into yet another dress code war. The OP's question has been answered - we all have opinions about how three quarter length slacks look but they are acceptable on Regent. No one is going to ask you to return to your cabin to change if you are wearing them.

The overall dress code, adherence and enforcement is, IMO, a subject for a different thread (simply because the debate could go on for pages and really won't help the OP with the question).

My wife is planning on taking some nice three quarter length slacks for ladies on our cruise in a few days. She suddenly wondered whether they are OK after 6:00 pm to wear to dinner in the Compass Rose or Sette Marie. They are slightly longer than mid-calf length.

Thanks.

I'm glad you asked this question as I am leaving next week for the holiday voyage. Living in south Florida, I am used to seeing people in Capri length slacks at fine dining restaurants in the evening. They can look fabulous with heels.

Unless a ship overnights somewhere, it is usually cool or breezy enough to warrant wearing full length slacks. If it's a balmy itinerary, it would be lovely to wear capris to dine outside or enjoy the outdoor decks.

Just for ease of packing, I mostly wear dresses.....casual, dressy and cocktail. It eliminates the "jackets, sweaters, blouses and slacks", which can load a suitcase fairly quickly.

I would throw in a couple of pair and after a night or two, you can pretty much judge if YOU would be comfortable wearing them at night.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Still gonna wear my Tommy Bahamas with slacks, especially in the Med. On the rare occasion I wear a polo in the evening, I'm wearing a jacket with it. But it's gonna take a serious change in the ship's vibe before I hang up my Tommys...

PS - I sometimes even wear socks, especially if I'm dining with any of the ship's bigwigs.

Edited by UUNetBill

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. I am amused by discussions of Regent's dress code. We live in a resort, South Beach, where dress is certainly casual. However, Joe's Stone Crab is the oldest restaurant down here, and an icon. Like everyone else who lives here, we take all visitors to Joe's at least once. Joe's mandates shoes and shirts. No exceptions. How's that for a code?

When taking guests to Joe's, it's a special occasion, and we dress accordingly. When dining in our more upscale restaurants, we add fancy garb as well. So do many other residents. We are very close to sand and water in three directions. Beach culture bears witness to dressing accordingly during the day. Sand, heat, little shade and sunscreen auger against elegant couture.

We have sailed on Seabourn and Regent, and like the current dress code. When we lived in NYC, we took TAs on QM2 many times. In a six night crossing, there were three formal nights. Now, crossings are seven nights, and three formals. DH wore a tux, and I had the right stuff, We also had too much luggage filled with useless clothes on land. Now, had DH been a waiter....If any of you are fans of Downton Abbey, you will remember when the Dowager confused the Lord of the Manor with a waiter because he had on a tux. Very funny.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Love your post Mary and I'll have to look into Joe's Stone Crab - sounds like a really fun place. Looking forward to learning about your Seabourn experience(s) and you feel it compares to Regent.

Where we live, jeans and a nice shirt is considered dressed up for men (women tend to dress nicer - in general). If men really want to dress up, they may add a sports coat. Fortunately, most of us understand the difference between dining on the ship and in your hometown.

I understand the dress code, but most people make too much of it. Just because someone does everything in the code doesn't mean it's right. I've seen lot's of people wearing things that they shouldn't be wearing- but it's the code.

What's next, you need to place a tag on what your outfit cost? And just because it cost a lot doesn't mean it's going to look good on you.

I think we need to get over it, I cruise to be comfortable and take it easy. No one needs to tell me what to wear-I would guess if I can afford Regent I think I know how to dress.

Don't judge me, and I won't judge you.

Rick

Funny how this dress code stuff does not come up too much on the other luxury line boards. It seems to always get fueled by I don't want to turn this into a dress code thread comment and off to the races.

I was born in Miami and Joe's has been around before I was born and we went there all the time when it was a very small restaurant. Today it is very popular with tourists and locals and very expensive and people dress very casual or very modern smart and jeans are certainly acceptable. If one wants to wear a Tommy shirt and some are really nice and I own a few and that is fine. And what defines a jean? In my book it is denim. I have seen people in solid black jeans with a nice shirt look better then the poor choices of slacks and a wrinkled shirt. Did these people lookin the mirror before going out?

I think the ladies look great with nice capris and high heels and a nice blouse. Sorry people but fashion is moving forward and you better get use to it.

Oh and South Beach has become a huge fashion leader next to Paris and Milan. Some people are stuck in their own world of what is fashionable. I have two words to say: Move On.

I've worn Tommy Bahama, Tori Richards and Nat Naste shirts on casual nights, and (with a sportcoat) on semi-formal nights, and never had a second look. Heck, I even wore high end leather pants one cruise! (When they were stylish for men)

With all due respect, remember that money can't buy good taste.

You are so right. I have seen people with money that absolutely have horrible taste in clothes day and night. I think Ron meant that he knows how to dress well and does not need the fashion police to tell him how to dress or dictated to by posters.

With all due respect, remember that money can't buy good taste.

Agree with you 100%. Also want to backtrack on my "Hawaiian shirt" comment. While I love them in Hawaii, sometimes they look out of place on Regent. Having said that, since it meets Regent's dress code, it is fine with me (just stating personal preference and what I would like my DH to wear while onboard).

Also IMO, Regent has the right to enforce any dress code that they wish. Thankfully they do not follow Oceania's dress code (sister company) which permits "dress jeans" as it appears that most people have no clue what that means (definitely not about how much the jeans cost).

Suite Travels: There are no "fashion police" on Regent but there is a dress code that is "usually" enforced. Some of us post to "newbies" to avoid them being embarrassed by someone asking them to go back to their suite and dress properly (after 6:00 p.m.)

Read my post again, that's what I'm saying............Also no one needs to tell me or anyone else how to dress..........period!

I think that we posted at the same time. As mentioned in my above post, Regent has the right to set standards on their ships. I am perplexed as to why you are coming across so strong on this issue (other than the fact that there typically are rather harsh comments made when discussing dress codes). IMO, Regent's dress code is straightforward and very easy to follow. In my experience on Regent, 99.9% of the guests respect the dress code. As for the rest, they learn (if they are caught) that they will need to either dine in their suites or change their clothes.