Advice Require - Pax with Newly Broken Leg

Hi Everyone

I broke my knee cap a week ago. We are supposed to sail on Serenade of the Seas out of FLL on January 2nd. We contacted Air Canada and they were wonderful, so the flights are taken care of.

HOWEVER, I contacted RCI Special Needs and was told that they DO NOT loan/rent wheel chairs (we have an aft cabin) but they will assist getting me on and off the ship. The first darling gentleman recommended that I bring my own wheelchair. Special!!!!! They wind up looking like a pretzel after a flight!!!! Then he told me, and quite rudely, I might add, to contact two rental companies.

Next up, I contacted C and A and was told basically the same thing by an equally unfeeling, uncaring gentleman. I asked both Special Needs and C and A what is available to assist someone who is disabled while onboard and they said NOTHING! Colour me completely disillusioned and disgusted by the lack of caring for someone who has become disabled. What happens to those who are dealing with permanent disabilities????? How incredibly sad.

I'm hoping that someone who has been in a similar situation can offer some suggestions. This cruise was to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary with a group of friends and I would hate to have to cancel.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dee

Sorry about your injury. RCCL does not provide wheelchairs during the cruise. Call Special Needs again and they will give you the name of 2 companies that rent wheelchairs and scooters. We have used both---very reliable.

Also, have you thought about whether or not you can navigate the cabin and bathroom with your broken leg? There are handicapped cabins but none available at such short notice..

If you rent, the company delivers the chair to your cabin

Good Luck

Sorry about your injury. RCCL does not provide wheelchairs during the cruise. Call Special Needs again and they will give you the name of 2 companies that rent wheelchairs and scooters. We have used both---very reliable.

Also, have you thought about whether or not you can navigate the cabin and bathroom with your broken leg? There are handicapped cabins but none available at such short notice..

Good Luck

OP indicated he had already contacted Special Needs and was told about rentals and was not impressed. I think he is venting!

Hi Everyone

I broke my knee cap a week ago. We are supposed to sail on Serenade of the Seas out of FLL on January 2nd. We contacted Air Canada and they were wonderful, so the flights are taken care of.

HOWEVER, I contacted RCI Special Needs and was told that they DO NOT loan/rent wheel chairs (we have an aft cabin) but they will assist getting me on and off the ship. The first darling gentleman recommended that I bring my own wheelchair. Special!!!!! They wind up looking like a pretzel after a flight!!!! Then he told me, and quite rudely, I might add, to contact two rental companies.

Next up, I contacted C and A and was told basically the same thing by an equally unfeeling, uncaring gentleman. I asked both Special Needs and C and A what is available to assist someone who is disabled while onboard and they said NOTHING! Colour me completely disillusioned and disgusted by the lack of caring for someone who has become disabled. What happens to those who are dealing with permanent disabilities????? How incredibly sad.

I'm hoping that someone who has been in a similar situation can offer some suggestions. This cruise was to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary with a group of friends and I would hate to have to cancel.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dee

You have to bring or rent your own wheelchair. Always been that way.

Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted

You will have to rent equipment from some other providers, if you need it.It's a well-known circumstance.

If you need a disabled cabin because of a wheelchair, you will have to book pretty far in advance to get one...there aren't many.

Good Luck

Thanks so much. It's good to know that you have dealt with them. I was provided the names of the two companies. Sadly, I did expect more from Royal. We are very disappointed the attitude during both calls.

I'm not actually too concerned about mobility in the cabin, it is just getting around the ship and potentially on and off that concerned me. Still some planning left to determine if this is doable.

Thanks so much for your input!

Dee

You will have to rent equipment from some other providers, if you need it.It's a well-known circumstance.

If you need a disabled cabin because of a wheelchair, you will have to book pretty far in advance to get one...there aren't many.

Thanks! No I don't believe that a disabled cabin is necessary. My greatest concern is that it is an aft cabin and I was hoping that there is someone (crew member) who specializes in dealing with people who have disabilities.

Thanks,

Dee

So sorry about your accident and hopefully you are healing.

The advice Special Needs gave you is pretty standard. The rental agencies will take good care of you.

RC would need a fleet of wheelchairs and scooters for all the people that need them. It would not work - rental agencies can provide a chair/scooter that incorporates what you need - need your weight, size, etc. to provide correct equipment.

Assuming you will have crutches or something similar - again very much tailored to the individual. A young, fairly active person can probably handle crutches, for example, better than an older, inactive, perhaps overweight individual.

Have you thought about shower, bathroom, getting around the cabin; not much room and doubtful handicapped cabin available so close to sail date. Wheelchairs/scooters have to be able to fit through cabin door (rental agencies know this) and cannot be left in hallways.

I am truly sorry but you need to understand that a flight for a few hours is totally different than 7 plus days on a ship.

Assume your doctor has cleared you to travel and that you have insurance (thinking medical not just trip insurance) in case you need ship's doctor.

Keep in mind that many times cruise lines, as well as other daily necessities, are governed by insurance and other regulations. People are very quick to sue/find fault with everything and hence promise very little.

Noticed you are sailing on the Serenade. I sailed on the Serenade in April of this year. I don't think you will have a problem with the aft cabin - compared to other ships in the fleet the Serenade is one of the smaller ships. No where near as much walking as I was used to - had forgotten how small the ship was! That will be in your favor!

OP - I feel your pain. Literally. I sail on 1/14 and broke my knee cap last week. I am lucky enough to just be in a hinged brace and am weight bearing. Won't be the exact trip I was planning on but there is a chaise calling my name and a bartender that wants to be my new BFF. Best of luck finding what you need to make the trip and Happy 40th!

I just got off Serenade from an aft cabin. There were a lot of scooters from the rental companies on our cruise (12/12/16). The hallway to the elevators is long and would be difficult on crutches. Hopefully you will be able to navigate inside the standard cabin. Good luck and once you are on the ship, they should be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry about your accident. There are literally hundreds of people on any given cruise who require either a wheelchair or a scooter to get around. Surely you wouldn't expect the cruiseline to stock them for everyone in all the various sizes required. You were treated exactly as they would have treated any other cruiser with the same requirements - in fact, they were quite helpful. I really don't understand why you are upset.

My wife broke her ankle mid-cruise in Cozumel on the Oasis in November. The ship's medical department lent us a wheelchair since a rental was impossible at that point. The staff did offer assistance during debarkation which worked out well. Our biggest issue while on board was getting into the bathroom as there is about a 4" step in non-handicap cabins. Be sure you can navigate the step with crutches or a walker.

In summary, you have to bring or rent your own wheelchair. You will receive crew assistance only during embarkation and debarkation.

We have been on two more subsequent cruises with my wife in a cast. For us, a knee scooter worked well that we purchased. Since we drove to the port it was no issue. Good luck!

Edited by loudbmw

We rented a wheelchair from special needs at sea. I suggest even on crutches that you get rent a wheelchair or scooter. The halls can be very long and the piers even longer. They are easy to work with and as described its waiting in your cabin for you. wheelchairs will give you the most room in a cabin as they fold up small but of course then someone else must push you.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope that you mend quickly. I'm curious about your comment that "They [wheelchairs] wind up looking like a pretzel after a flight!!!" I'm just wondering where you got that idea. I know a number of people who regularly fly with their wheelchairs and have experienced no mishandling or damage. Renting at home offers another option and might make life a little easier in airports.

I don't see that the complaint being made here is a fair one.

Royal facilitates a solution to the issue that you have - they work with rental companies that have available the type of equipment you desire and additionally they allow you to bring your own equipment if you prefer.

The rental company will have a lower cost of capital than the Royal and so will be able to supply what you want at a lower price than if Royal did so directly.

Of course you will have to pay yourself for equipment since it would be entirely unreasonable to expect others to help cover your special costs. There is a cost here. There is a provider available. You were told this both times you asked. There's no real issue here that I can see.

Get a transport chair. They fold up. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VAV5PN0/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=EW863MCERD3FYM5Y89WQ&pd_rd_wg=9W2xP&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=Fzzwq&pf_rd_i=Transport%2BChair&pd_rd_r=QDK9GVKCNBA39Z334NR1&th=1

Walgreens has them for purchase in the store, for about the same price. Do you have Walgreens in Canada? Sorry, Dennis will have to push you around the ship and at ports, but you don't really need a wheel chair. Transport chairs are lightweight and inexpensive during your recovery. :D Wheelchair services are available for getting onboard, disembarking and at the airport. You can check the transport chair as (free) luggage in the cardboard box and bring it home, the same way if you wish. (TY pcur)

Edited by Coralc

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope that you mend quickly. I'm curious about your comment that "They [wheelchairs] wind up looking like a pretzel after a flight!!!" I'm just wondering where you got that idea. I know a number of people who regularly fly with their wheelchairs and have experienced no mishandling or damage. Renting at home offers another option and might make life a little easier in airports.

I didn't understand that either.

OP indicated he had already contacted Special Needs and was told about rentals and was not impressed. I think he is venting!

SHE is a little annoyed to be told by Special Needs "Well that is YOUR Problem!!!"

As an insurance broker, I deal with all types of tragedies on a large and small scale.

I was told that had I been traveling on Celebrity, they do wheel chair rentals!

Dee

So sorry about your accident and hopefully you are healing.

The advice Special Needs gave you is pretty standard. The rental agencies will take good care of you.

RC would need a fleet of wheelchairs and scooters for all the people that need them. It would not work - rental agencies can provide a chair/scooter that incorporates what you need - need your weight, size, etc. to provide correct equipment.

Assuming you will have crutches or something similar - again very much tailored to the individual. A young, fairly active person can probably handle crutches, for example, better than an older, inactive, perhaps overweight individual.

Have you thought about shower, bathroom, getting around the cabin; not much room and doubtful handicapped cabin available so close to sail date. Wheelchairs/scooters have to be able to fit through cabin door (rental agencies know this) and cannot be left in hallways.

I am truly sorry but you need to understand that a flight for a few hours is totally different than 7 plus days on a ship.

Assume your doctor has cleared you to travel and that you have insurance (thinking medical not just trip insurance) in case you need ship's doctor.

Keep in mind that many times cruise lines, as well as other daily necessities, are governed by insurance and other regulations. People are very quick to sue/find fault with everything and hence promise very little.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm an insurance broker and deal with this all of the time. Yes indeed I was not only cleared for travel, but many other issues.

We are flying Rouge Air Canada so indeed a 3.5 hour flight is a huge issue if someone decides to recline their seat . air Canada has been very helpful and not once was I told that this is "MY PROBLEM".

OP - I feel your pain. Literally. I sail on 1/14 and broke my knee cap last week. I am lucky enough to just be in a hinged brace and am weight bearing. Won't be the exact trip I was planning on but there is a chaise calling my name and a bartender that wants to be my new BFF. Best of luck finding what you need to make the trip and Happy 40th!

You are so incredibly sweet thank you!!!! I'm so very sorry that you are experiencing the same problem. I'm in a zimmer which is tons of fun, but I'm not in a heck of a lot of pain and the outlook is very good which is great since I have arthritis.

Unfortunately this happened the day that my darling sister died. I was fortunate enough to be with her the last 3 days of her life. It happened during my 5 hour drive home after she died. It has really impacted Christmas for our family in a huge way, but we are just pressing on and trying to make the best of things.

I sincerely hope that you have a fabulous cruise and that your new BFF is the best possible friend you could find! One of our friends suggested that I find 2 pool boys to assist me:D

Dee