Celebrity laundry facilities

47jag

We are sailing in January on Celebrity Constellation for the first time with Celebrity. My wife wants to know what are the laundry facilities like. Do the supply detergent for example or do we have to provide our own?

Thanks

Art

We are sailing in January on Celebrity Constellation for the first time with Celebrity. My wife wants to know what are the laundry facilities like. Do the supply detergent for example or do we have to provide our own?

Thanks

Art

There is no self service laundry on the any Celebrity ship. The ship does laundry, send it out and get it back the next day. Sometimes they have specials.

Thanks

Art

Just to cover all the bases, as others have said no laundry facilities, no laundry rooms, irons and steamers are forbidden and will be confiscated. Laundry prices are int the web site, FAQ section.

In the past I have read on this forum about passengers hauling their laundry off the ships and washing it at local laundromats. Sounds a little extreme and petty to me. That does not sound like vacation to me.:eek::eek::eek:

I wonder if they also insist on cooking their own food, washing their own dishes and silverware, and cleaning their own cabin. :D

There are germ phobic passengers who wipe down their entire rooms with Lysol wipes, including inside the closets and drawers after the stewards clean the rooms. I've never seen one bring a vacuum aboard though <smile> Some even clean the silverware before they eat but they let the crew do the dishes afterward !

There are germ phobic passengers who wipe down their entire rooms with Lysol wipes, including inside the closets and drawers after the stewards clean the rooms. I've never seen one bring a vacuum aboard though <smile> Some even clean the silverware before they eat but they let the crew do the dishes afterward !

That's so funny!! Talk about extreme[emoji21]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Laundry prices are rather expensive. Captain Club members received discounts and free coupons. They often also have bag specials.

Laundry Services

Item Price

Suit $17.50

Jacket $8.00

Pants $7.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $7.00

Short Sleeved Shirt $6.00

Sweater $8.00

Shorts $5.50

Dress $11.00

Skirt $6.50

Pajamas $5.50

Handkerchief $3.00

T-shirt $3.75

Undergarments $3.00

Swimsuit $4.00

Socks, pair $3.00

Dry-Cleaning

Suit $19.00

Jacket $11.00

Pants $8.00

Vest $5.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $7.50

Short Sleeved Shirt $6.50

Sweater $9.00

Shorts $6.50

Dress $16.00

Skirt $7.50

Necktie/Tie $5.00

4 Item Special $28.00

Pressing Only

Suit $14.00

Jacket $8.00

Pants $6.00

Vest $3.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.75

Short Sleeved Shirt$4.00

Sweater $5.50

Shorts $4.00

Dress $8.00

Skirt $6.00

4 Item Special $25.00

There is usually a clothes line over the tub that you can hang your personal things on to dry after washing in your bathroom. There is usually a good value on ship for a whole bag of dirty clothes to wash and fold sometime during the cruise. We have found this to be well worth the cost. Thinking a whole bag ran about $20 or so on special.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So go sail on Princess then if you think it's so wonderful.

I think Celebrity does it just fine. I don't care to spend my vacation in a laundromat.

Agree! It's my vacation & I'm not spending doing laundry and ironing.

We have done 35+days with hand washing some items, using the Elite+ wash & fold bags and the pressing & dry clean coupons.

I think Celebrity does it just fine. I don't care to spend my vacation in a laundromat.

Absolutely agree. I do laundry at home when I am NOT paying all that money to be on vacation. NO WAY will I ever spend even a minute of my precious vacation time doing menial chores. I budget to send out laundry on longer cruises, just like I budget for shore excursions, souvenirs, and everything else I go on vacation to do.

Someone here on Cruise Critic once calculated how much it costs to do one's own laundry on a cruise. Besides the cost of the machines and soap, there is also the cost of lost leisure time taken up by doing this chore. With cruise costs, plus travel costs, plus all other incidental costs spent during the entire vacation time, divided by the number of hours spent on the cruise, the figure they came up with was about $14 per hour to do their own laundry. For the two hours time spent for washing, drying and folding, that makes it nearly $30 - not much more than what it might cost to send the same items out for the ship to do it. And you get to relax while it is being done - which is what you are on vacation to do in the first place!

no-laundry-copy-300x300.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

Pretty petty comment, they were talking about an aspect of a cruise that the thought Princess did better, not about your family. I know of no one who chooses a cruise based on how the laundry is done.

Princess does it right; laundry room on nearly every deck

Then you might like going on Azamara. I dont do laundry at hotels, why would I do it on a cruise ship. Our next vacation is 25 days with a 12 night cruise. I'm sure I'll be sending our laundry during the cruise. I will say that I dont bring any white pants or shorts with me.

With cruise costs, plus travel costs, plus all other incidental costs spent during the entire vacation time, divided by the number of hours spent on the cruise, the figure they came up with was about $14 per hour to do their own laundry. For the two hours time spent for washing, drying and folding, that makes it nearly $30 - not much more than what it might cost to send the same items out for the ship to do it. And you get to relax while it is being done - which is what you are on vacation to do in the first place!

no-laundry-copy-300x300.jpg

Do I understand you right? That you think it costs less than $30 for a load of laundry on Celebrity? [emoji848]

Try $94 on the Millennium two weeks ago!

I can understand why someone would want to do their own at those prices. [emoji44]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do I understand you right? That you think it costs less than $30 for a load of laundry on Celebrity? [emoji848]

Try $94 on the Millennium two weeks ago!

I can understand why someone would want to do their own at those prices. ]

And how many of those items were for dry cleaning instead of laundering? I know of no cruise line that has self service dry cleaning facilities on their ships. :D

We typically see a charge of about $50 on a 10 day cruise for my wife and I. That includes dry cleaning for items that need it. For a 7 day cruise we would be spending about $30 to $40 for such services since much of our clothing will only be worn once on short cruises and can be laundered or dry cleaned when we return home.

Regardless of the cost, our vacation time is much more valuable to us than the relatively minor cost of laundry services. That is not an area where we are going to scrimp to try to save a few dollars by doing our own chores. When the total costs for a cruise can get into the multiple thousands, it seems rather pointless to waste several hours doing laundry to save less than $100. With travel, excursions and cruise fare, it is not unusual to spend over $5,000 on a cruise vacation. $100 is a mere 2% of that total cost! If we can afford to spend that much money on a cruise, we certainly can spend another 2% so that we don't have to waste some of our precious time doing menial chores.

We also won't ever book an inside cabin for the same reason - we only book balcony or higher categories. Maximizing our vacation experience is too important to us to try to do it on the cheap.

But that is us. We certainly don't expect everyone else to have the same value system as we do. If you prefer to do your own laundry, then by all means, grab a box of soap and knock yourself out! :)

Edited by sloopsailor

We typically see a charge of about $50 on a 10 day cruise for my wife and I. That includes dry cleaning for items that need it. For a 7 day cruise we would be spending about $30 to $40 for such services since much of our clothing will only be worn once on short cruises and can be laundered or dry cleaned when we return home.

Short sleeve shirts/blouses are laundered for $6 each.

So if you are on a 27 day cruise (like we will be next year) with six shirts for each person and have them laundered three times, that is $216 for shirts alone.

As I understand it the bag specials are wash and fold items only, so shirts/blouses which need to be pressed and not folded can't be taken advantage of using the bag special.