If you were offered a free ticket for any cruise ship in the world...

BoiiMcFly

My memory of "The World" was in Haines, Alaska, when some of the passengers from it were on an excursion bus with us. We had booked an independent kayaking excursion at Chilkoot Lake while our ship was in Skagway. The World was docked in Haines. The independent excursion company offered several different activities, and the passengers from the World were going to be riding ATVs. They convinced the bus driver to stop at a donut shop before their rides. I was amazed that anyone on a cruise ship would have a craving for donuts. But then I found out that on the World the passengers paid for their food. The donut shop was more than a treat. It was a bargain compared to what they'd been paying on their ship.

Ahh but they also have a kitchen in their room. And besides it's someone else's money and a never ending itinerary. Trying to maximize my extortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was amazed that anyone on a cruise ship would have a craving for donuts. But then I found out that on the World the passengers paid for their food. The donut shop was more than a treat. It was a bargain compared to what they'd been paying on their ship.

The World is like more like a condo building - they own apartments on board and have use of the facilities like the pools, etc., but (like any condo) pay a monthly maintenance fee as well. Unlike any condo building on land, they must also buy a minimum amount on "food and beverage" annually, and anything they spend above that amount is paid separately. Many apartments have their own full kitchens, and some smaller units have kitchenettes.

Harmony OTS doing a cruise from the US westcoast to Hawaii, the Pacific ocean (with stops on a lot of Islands), Australia, New Zealand, Bali, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius, Reunion, Zanzibar, Seychelles, the Suez canal, Egypt, Cyprus, Rhodes, Crete, Croatia, Malta, Mallorca, Ibiza, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria,Tenrife, Madeira, Azores, Bermuda, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic,

Puerto Rico, ST. Thomas, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, St. Croix, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St Lucia, Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I think that I would be ready to go home by now and not cruise for a year ;)

One of the small ships in Alaska. Or a Northwest river cruise. Or Galapagos Islands. Or one of the small specialty ships that go where there's a total eclips of the sun. The things I'm way to cheap to pay for.

For us, the cruise itinerary would be primary and ship only a secondary issue. So if you offered us any cruise ship ticket we would likely opt for the Crystal ship that is doing the next World Cruise :). The idea of accepting a ticket for a 7 day cruise on RCI versus a 112+ day cruise on Crystal is a no-brainer.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

For us, the cruise itinerary would be primary and ship only a secondary issue. So if you offered us any cruise ship ticket we would likely opt for the Crystal ship that is doing the next World Cruise :). The idea of accepting a ticket for a 7 day cruise on RCI versus a 112+ day cruise on Crystal is a no-brainer.

Hank

Agree, Hank. It really surprises me that anyone offered this scenario would pick any of the mass market lines. Well, to each his own!

Agree, Hank. It really surprises me that anyone offered this scenario would pick any of the mass market lines. Well, to each his own!

+1. It would be the equivalent of someone being being allowed to pick any car in the world and having them pick a Yugo.

DON

In steado f critidcizing, why not trry to dis cover if perhaps we have very good reason for our one of my choice.s You would nevver vbe able to imagine one of the resons for s my choice. Sorry if they s do no appearto satisfy you. However, you get to choose for yourself in this hypothetical and so do the rest of us. I havve no desire to ever step foot aboard The World, If you have th e opporrtunity, GO for it but respect thaat we do not all want, like, the same thing (s)

hAVE YoU ever had the honor, th great privviilege AND JOY of blessing a cruise ship at her dEDCICATION straight out of the shipyard(I think not)Ny late DH and I did AND IT IS a PRECIOUS MEMORy ftrom ourLIFE TOETHER iI, particularly now that he is gone. TREASURE. We sailed asbout200 creuises together so ships, were a big part of our lives. He is now gone and anyhting that brings a smile to my face when I 'reemember, is very special.

iF you don't know about whaat you speak, someimes it is good TO FIND SOMETHING NICE TO SAY OR ..... :rOLLEYES:

I don't expect you wsould 'get it' and I don't need to xsplain myself but you pushed a button. :)

You said " to each their own" but did you mean it?

Edited by sail7seas

In steado f critidcizing, why not trry to dis cover if perhaps we have very good reason for our one of my choice.s You would nevver vbe able to imagine one of the resons for s my choice. Sorry if they s do no appearto satisfy you. However, you get to choose for yourself in this hypothetical and so do the rest of us. I havve no desire to ever step foot aboard The World, If you have th e opporrtunity, GO for it but respect thaat we do not all want, like, the same thing (s)

hAVE YoU ever had the honor, th great privviilege AND JOY of blessing a cruise ship at her dEDCICATION straight out of the shipyard(I think not)Ny late DH and I did AND IT IS a PRECIOUS MEMORy ftrom ourLIFE TOETHER iI, particularly now that he is gone. TREASURE. We sailed asbout200 creuises together so ships, were a big part of our lives. He is now gone and anyhting that brings a smile to my face when I 'reemember, is very special.

iF you don't know about whaat you speak, someimes it is good TO FIND SOMETHING NICE TO SAY OR ..... :rOLLEYES:

I don't expect you wsould 'get it' and I don't need to xsplain myself but you pushed a button. :)

You said " to each their own" but did you mean it?

I'm sorry you took my post personally. I know you are now a widow and have serious health issues. However, I think you have taken this personally and it's not meant that way. When I wrote "to each his own", I meant it. I will still say that I think some who have posted aren't thinking "big" enough. I personally would never pick The World either, but I certainly wouldn't pick a short cruise on a mass market line.

+1. It would be the equivalent of someone being being allowed to pick any car in the world and having them pick a Yugo.

DON

I would definitely not say the Harmony of the Seas is the equivalent of a Yugo. I would say it is closer to a Hummer or Escalade. Some people want pure luxury, other people prefer activities and more family oriented entertainment. Neither one is better than the other, just different choices and that's all.

DON

Well to me it depends on the type of cruise. If I would spend several months onboard a ship with a lot of sea days, I would like to have a lot of options on what to do. If I would spend a couple of weeks in the caribbean my pick would be different.

Edited by Extra Kim

I am one =who thinks some ships 'speak' to some people. There are some ships I have sailed in which I f feel an atachment and perhaps tri is for her crew. while I know ships's crews c hange, rotate and paticularly t ake on change of ernior oficers on a regularbasis b ut offtten enough of the core crew remains,that the standards, way of doin things, ftreatment of guestss remains con sistent.r. After sailing Massdam over 30+ imes (I've lost count),when I vboard Maasdam for a new cruise,Massdam ia a living ship, she is a happy ship and Ihave celebrated many milesgone evewnt on her. I have a sense of homecoming, dxomfort, safety and happiness. I sincerely hope I will have the good fortune to retturn rto "MY' Massaam soon.I also would pass up free cruises on Regent, Crystal and assuredly The World in favor of two, three, four plus weeks on the very special Noordam. That is a ship, I simply must sail again ASAP.

Edited by sail7seas

Well to me it depends on the type of cruise. If I would spend several months onboard a ship with a lot of sea days, I would like to have a lot of options on what to do. If I would spend a couple of weeks in the caribbean my pick would be different.

I agree. No way do I want to do a round-the-world cruise. I get antsy after about 10 days. I just get tired of the food, people and close quarters.

I chose a Viking ship and in my dream scenario, it would only be about a 10-12 day cruise.

DON

No, they are much more mechanically reliable than a Yugo. Probably more like a Ford or Toyota minivan......they may be fun for the whole family, but they're not fully of luxury comforts.

which one would you pick? I would probably go for Harmony of the Seas. I just want to see it in person. Must be huge.

38 day Rotterdam

DATE DAY PORT

ARRIVE

DEPART

Aug 2 Wednesday Boston, Massachusetts, US

10:00 PM

Aug 3 Thursday Bar Harbor, Maine, US

10:00 AM

07:00 PM

Aug 5 Saturday Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

08:00 AM

05:00 PM

Aug 6 Sunday Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada

Aug 7 Monday Red Bay, Labrador, Canada

03:00 PM

Aug 9 Wednesday Qaqortoq, Greenland

06:00 PM

Aug 10 Thursday Cruising Prince Christian Sund

Aug 12 Saturday Reykjavik, Iceland

Aug 13 Sunday Reykjavik, Iceland

Aug 16 Wednesday Alesund, Norway

07:00 AM

04:00 PM

Aug 17 Thursday Bergen, Norway

Aug 18 Friday Scenic Cruising Hardangerfjord

Aug 18 Friday Eidfjord, Norway

06:00 PM

Aug 20 Sunday Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Aug 21 Monday Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Aug 23 Wednesday Dublin, Ireland

09:30 AM

09:30 PM

Aug 24 Thursday Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

11:00 PM

Aug 25 Friday Douglas, Isle Of Man, United Kingdom

Aug 26 Saturday Portree (Isle Of Skye), Scotland, United Kingdom

08:00 PM

Aug 28 Monday Djupivogur, Iceland

03:00 PM

Aug 29 Tuesday Akureyri, Iceland

Aug 29 Tuesday Scenic Cruising Eyjafjordur

Aug 30 Wednesday Isafjordur, Iceland

Aug 30 Wednesday Scenic Cruising Isafjardurdjur

Sep 1 Friday Cruising Prince Christian Sund

Sep 2 Saturday Nanortalik, Greenland

02:00 PM

Sep 4 Monday St Anthony, Newfoundland, Canada

Sep 5 Tuesday St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada

08:00 PM

Sep 7 Thursday Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Sep 9 Saturday Boston, Massachusetts, US

On my wish list. :cool: :D

DON

I guess I could see some people desiring it (not me). Some need flowriders, large ships and big production shows in the evening....and fine dining is less important. Personally, I prefer smaller ships that mimic fine hotels, with itineraries focused on smaller coastal towns that are difficult or expensive to reach by methods other than cruise ships and don't need intensive stays to get a sense of. Also, the cruise ship itineraries should have great point to point itineraries.

Like others, anything a month and they would have to fish me out of the water.

My dream....Capetown to Singapore, probably on one of the smaller Oceania vessels, with a flight return from Singapore via Delhi (to do the golden Triangle by land). Precruise, would involve some Safaris in Africa (land)

Edited by buggins0402

I'd pick Crystal for a world cruise except for the fact that when DH and I did our 14 day it was too long for us. So I can't ever see us on a 100+ day cruise. I like to live vicariously through Hank and others. I don't know if I could even do a 28 day. We have dogs and cats.

At least I'd do my dream cruise to St Petersburg on Crystal. I like seeing everyone's answers.

Edited by KBS1607