Showers!

JohnS43

OK, I've cruised several times, on several lines (not just the ones in my signature) and I've come to realize that I absolutely HATE staterooms that have showers with shower curtains. It doesn't matter if it's a stall shower or a tub-shower combo, the shower always blows in and clings to me. I absolutely hate it. And no amount of weighting or clipping seems to help. (On my last cruise, where I had a tub-shower combo, I left the curtain half-open and tried to do as much as I could in the open side of the tub.)

And I also much prefer having a hand-held shower, especially since some of the small stall showers combined with low water pressure, makes it sometimes difficult to rinse well in "those places." So, my question is: Is there a resource that lists what types of showers/tubs are in the various cabin types for each cruise line? Are there any cruise lines that do not use shower curtains at all? (So far the only times I've completely avoided them were in a family suite on NCL with a separate shower with a glass door and a full suite on Princess, with the same setup.)

I guess I've realized that this has become a real consideration for me in deciding which ships to book for future cruises, especially those longer than a week. Thanks for your help.

Edited by JohnS43

I get a spa cabin on Carnival (decks 11 & 12 on Dream class is best) and just go down the hallway to the spa and shower. HUGE walk-in beautiful ceramic tiled showers with a large bench, jets spraying from all sides, and a handheld shower head. Plus extra big thirsty towels, lots of mirrors with good lighting and blow dryers. Once I tried it I never went back to one of those tiny cruise cabin showers. I just find a cabin that's right by the door to the locker rooms and book it. :) Plus if you get a spa cabin you have full access to the spa including their heated thelasso therapy mineral pool.

Edited by cruisinqt
Clarity

Thanks for all of your answers so far. I'll definitely look into some of the ships that were mentioned. However, are there any that have both shower doors AND hand-held shower heads?

The Lanai cabins on the R-class HAL Rotterdam and Volendam (but not the HC Lanais) have glass doors and hand-held sprays (that also fix to an adjustable-height fixed bar). Lanai cabins are converted ocean-views on the Lower Promenade Deck (which puts them on the promenade or boardwalk). They have the bed arrangement of a balcony cabin and a sliding glass door out to the promenade. Oddly, at least one OV on the Volendam, 3365, also has this shower! the port-side equivalent, 3366, does not. I don't know if 3365 started to be converted and stopped part-way or what (and it bugs the heck out of me!).

The lanais on the S-class Maasdam and Veendam do not have this shower, but tubs with a double shower curtain (plastic inside the tub and fabric outside; this may help keep the plastic from blowing in, at least I don't recall it being a problem) and a handheld shower.

The top-level Pinnacle suites on all the HAL ships I checked have a separate, doored/handheld shower and whirlpool tubs. The Neptune suites do not.

I checked that on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, but not the newest Koningsdam.

I'll be in a Lanai on the Rotterdam in 10 weeks! Woo hoo!

Edited by crystalspin

Hi there

On Carnival, you don't need to purchase the "spa" cabins. All passengers have access to gym and change room facilities with lockers, nice large walk in showers, some have special accessible shower facilities as well. You also have access to sauna and steam room. Great place to relax, refresh and get cleaned up before dinner and the evening. It is nicer if your cabin is located close by, but not necessary.

hope this helps

Norwegian Jade - Oceanview room - shower door, handheld massage

Norwegian Spirit - Balcony room - shower door, handheld massage

Azamara Quest - Oceanview room - curtain, handheld massage

Seabourn Sojourn - Balcony room - shower door, handheld massage

Seabourn Odyssey - Balcony room - shower door, handheld massage

Hi there

On Carnival, you don't need to purchase the "spa" cabins. All passengers have access to gym and change room facilities with lockers, nice large walk in showers, some have special accessible shower facilities as well. You also have access to sauna and steam room. Great place to relax, refresh and get cleaned up before dinner and the evening. It is nicer if your cabin is located close by, but not necessary

Actually the showers I was referring to were the ones in the paid for spa area. Not the free ones in the gym locker room. Those are nice, but like a normal shower at home. The huge walk-in showers with hooks to hang your dry towel on, a long park like bench inside the shower by the door (to sit on or put your dry clothes on), numerous jets spraying from all sides etc. are only available with a spa pass and is inside the spa area. There's videos of them online and they are both heavenly and addictive. :) I don't think I can ever shower in one of those teeny weeny cruise cabin showers again. Sorry about not being clear on that. I wouldn't want the OP looking for that particular type of shower in the gym locker room lol. :) And for further clarification, Carnival's saunas and steam rooms are no longer free on a good deal of the newer bigger ships. :( The Dream class requires a spa pass to access them now. And many of the ships that get upgrades in drydock are switching to this new system. I hate having to pay for saunas and steam rooms that used to be free. But I love that they only allow a certain amount of spa passes to be sold so that it's never crowded.

Well, if the shower stall is the size of a small telephone booth, it doesn't much matter to me whether I'm trying to avoid bumping my body parts on a curtain or a door. I can stand it, either way.

However, many posters before are correct. If you can't take the ick, the gym showers are big, with no flapping curtains or doors.

• 11 months later...
OK, I've cruised several times, on several lines (not just the ones in my signature) and I've come to realize that I absolutely HATE staterooms that have showers with shower curtains. It doesn't matter if it's a stall shower or a tub-shower combo, the shower always blows in and clings to me. I absolutely hate it. And no amount of weighting or clipping seems to help. (On my last cruise, where I had a tub-shower combo, I left the curtain half-open and tried to do as much as I could in the open side of the tub.)

And I also much prefer having a hand-held shower, especially since some of the small stall showers combined with low water pressure, makes it sometimes difficult to rinse well in "those places." So, my question is: Is there a resource that lists what types of showers/tubs are in the various cabin types for each cruise line? Are there any cruise lines that do not use shower curtains at all? (So far the only times I've completely avoided them were in a family suite on NCL with a separate shower with a glass door and a full suite on Princess, with the same setup.)

I guess I've realized that this has become a real consideration for me in deciding which ships to book for future cruises, especially those longer than a week. Thanks for your help.

I hate curtains but I just booked the same cabin with curtains 4 years in a row.