Boarding time to avoid Windjammer CRUSH!

gsosings

it's been awhile.. had to cancel the last 3 cruises for medical issues..

Going on Allure in 3 weeks..

what would be the suggested best time to arrive at port so we don't get in the 'cattle crush' at the Windjammer? :eek: Thanks! :)

what would be the suggested best time to arrive at port so we don't get in the 'cattle crush' at the Windjammer? :eek: Thanks! :)

After 1:30pm so staterooms are open.

Also, there are several other complimentary places to eat besides WJ.

Obviously Allure is different than Adventure, but on Adventure last month we arrived with a short wait until rooms were open. Stashed bags, got a little unpacked, and then went to lunch. Perfect! No crush of humanity, no bags to deal with, it was great.

If you board early..then you'll be the first to eat. If you board late, the others have scarfed up their food...but if you board around 12:30 to 1:30...it's a mess. We eat a late breakfast...board early but SKIP the eating/feeding frenzy. We will grab a snack later.

Edited by cb at sea

The no-table issue in the WJ is an Urban Legend.

Probably created by someone whom walked in and could not find a table in the first 20 seconds, got mad and left.

Then came here and complained enough for people to listen and repeat the lie until everyone believes it, without really having issues

On every cruise, I can always find a table at peak times in the WJ(even next to the window) and I can always find a lounger by the pool.

Sure it may take a few minutes of walking and asking, but it can be done.......

Edited by matj2000

Probably created by someone whom walked in and could not find a table in the first 20 seconds, got mad and left.

Then came here and complained enough for people to listen and repeat the lie until everyone believes it, without really having issues

On every cruise, I can always find a table at peak times in the WJ(even next to the window) and I can always find a lounger by the pool.

Plenty of us here have experienced the "Urban Legend" in real life.

Personally we found that the bigger the ship - the bigger the "crush" of people at the WJ. Unless you're boarding first (Diamond, Plus, Suites, etc.) then the WJ will probably be hopping anyway. I agree with Bob - find one of the other venues that are open the first day on Allure (Park Cafe, etc.) and skip the WJ all together.

We've never experienced that "crush" on the smaller ships. It seems that the number of passengers a ship holds is not proportionate to the size of the Windjammer. :-)

Oh - and get a cocktail first! Always helps.

The no-table issue in the WJ is an Urban Legend...
Even if there are tables free (probably not), when the staff says everything in the Allure WJ is full and won't let you enter the WJ, you have no-table. I've seen a 30 minute wait to get in. I'm calling BS. Edited by TravelerThom

In general the cabins are ready at 1:30pm. Once the cabins are ready, the Windjammer clears out as the people go to their cabins. So, if you check in around 1:15pm, buy the time you have been checked in, the Windjammer should not be so crushing.

Go to a nice and relaxed lunch at Giovanni's.

Plenty of us here have experienced the "Urban Legend" in real life.

Absolutely. Freedom 2014, no tables. Had to wait in line for the WJ employees to seat us as our food got cold.

But unlike cb's experience, eating after 1:30 on Adventure last month was terrific.

(I don't remember our experience on vision or second experience on freedom)

Lucky you. :rolleyes: We always have a terrible time finding a table, but there are five of us.

The no-table issue in the WJ is an Urban Legend

I'm always at the port by 10am and one of the first group to board the ship so I never found a problem finding a table. Can't remember the ship but I think it was freedom they had to open the Italian restaurant because there was no table available at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 6 cruises we know not to go near the buffet the first day. Its just not relaxing in any way. In fact the more and more cruises we do, the less and less we go to the buffet. There always, always other places to eat free, and relax. On our last cruise in Sept. NCL Breakaway I think we went to the buffet 3 times. Once for lunch and twice for breakfast before we discovered that on Breakaway Moderno restaurant serves buffet style breakfast, otherwise we would have never went to the buffet for breakfast. It was relaxed, nice setting, no pushing, no shoving, no fighting for a table. It was wonderful.

On our next cruise on Anthem in Sept, again we will try not to visit the buffet at all if we can. I just find the whole experience nerve racking.

Edited by JAMESCC

Good idea..we are going on Allure...does Giovanni's have outdoor seating? Is there a lunch charge? I've only ever heard of people going to either windjammer or park cafe for lunch on embarkation day.

Other complimentary food venues: Solarium Cafe, Vitality Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Sorrento's, Wipeout Cafe, Boardwalk Doghouse.

To the OP.

We usually board first with the suite guests, and go to the WJ.

We are usually done within 20 min.

As we leave we have seen attendants immediately come over and clean the table and the attendants at the door assist you in seating.

Yes the line has been long, but it moves quick.

Enjoy, we do.

After about 40 RC cruises, I very much disagree with your post. If you are reaching the WJ between 12:15 pm and whenever it is announced that the cabins are available (often 1 pm or slightly later), you may have a very difficult time finding a table in the WJ or you may even have to wait to enter WJ on some ships. It can be stressful and a less than comfortable experience. AS far as always finding a lounger by the pool, either you have arrived before 7 am or you are extremely lucky.