Outrageous Towel Policy!

Roce48

This statement is so funny coming from you. It seems like every statement I've read of yours, you are complaining about something. I have yet to read anything courteous from you. Could you possibly be part of the reason for the change? It's all to easy to complain behind a compute. Do you even like cruising or just trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe YOU should bone up on CC guidelines with responses like that

We've been on three cruises... Oasis 2013, Freedom 2014 & 2016. We had to "check out" towels on all three cruises, so this is nothing new.

However, the more I think about it, I think it's fake. Not the story, but that RCI is actually keeping track of whether you have a towel in/out. Here's my reasons...

1) Many people here have posted if you get charged for a towel, you can simply go to GS, say you turned it in, and they'll remove the charge. Of course, you don't have to prove you turned in the towel, just say you did. So you can leave your towel on a beach somewhere, then when you get charged for it, say you turned it in.

2) Has anyone noticed the towel attendant pressing a button when scanning your seapass? There should be some way to designate between "checking out" and "turning in". You can't assume if there's towels checked out to your account that you're checking some back in.

Do I think promoting this "policy" helps people return towels? Yes. I'm just not totally convinced RCI is tracking how many towels you have.

Someone going on a cruise shortly... after a couple days (especially if there's a sea day, or a typical beach port), go to the towel station and see if they can tell you how many towels you have checked out. Bonus points if you previously arrange for a different number of towels than people in your room (ie: if there's two people in your room, only have one towel checked out).

I don't see no big deal on this issue at all. I remember walking downtown Barbados and seeing Royal Caribbean towels on top of a trash bag and around a light on the sidewalk. I am in favor of this. If they keep losing towels and have to buy more its just another excuse to increase the price of the cruise. I always return my towel so I don't have anything to worry about

I have never had a limit on how many I can have on one sea pass. I agree do not see what the big deal is in fact I thought this was already being done haha.

I have and it was on Oasis. And it was a LONG walk back to collect seapasses. And, yes, I was annoyed.

This really isn't a towel policy, but rather a chair hog policy. It now cost 24.95 to reserve a chair for 30 minutes. If you return within 30 minutes, you get charged nothing. If you decide to leave you towel on a chair for more than 30 minutes, you risk it being removed or claimed by another passenger, thus costing you 24.95 for the reservation of the chair. :D

Uh Oh! I just received my news letter with the new towel policy! I wrote them a protest letter demanding that they rescind the new policy! Please join me and send them an e-mail also!:mad:

Newsletter_January_2017_17.jpg ROY_spacer.gifUPDATED TOWEL POLICY ROY_spacer.gif Check out as many towels as you like,

just return them by end of voyage to

avoid a $24.99 replacement fee.

(Effective 01/15/2017)

Seriously??? Not sure why this upsets you so much. It's a perfectly reasonable (and old)policy, and not something to get worked up about, in my opinion. We prefer just to have a good time without getting caught up in minor issues like this.

I know this sounds harsh, but stop whining about the policy and turn the towel in instead of leaving it on the deck chair all day as a "keeper".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not leave a towel on a chair as you seem to imply, and the term whining was not polite.:)

I be sending an email thanking them for the new policy.

Good idea! ;)

Just off Oasis, and saw how the chair hogs were in full force in the Solarium.

Ridiculous how many towels they were flinging on loungers early in the day

and walking off. Library was hit hard also, not from the amount of readers

on the ship..but used as additional "free props". :(

I believe they are actually instituting an old policy.

The old policy was put in place because the cost of replacing towels was getting out of control. People taking towels off the ship for beach excursions and leaving them there and plain old stealing were the likely suspects.

We were actually held up for 45 minutes on departure one day in Labadee. The

reason? It was still the "no fee" towel policy and way too many lazy pax were

leaving them all over the beach. Poor crew members were lugging up huge

wheeled carts full of them that were left behind.

You could not be more wrong. You obviously have not read much here because Carol contributes more new, accurate info to this forum than anyone else. I can personally attest that she very much enjoys cruising.:)

Agree...I am also one of Carol's fans. She is a great help to us...and you

are just as much of a hero. :)

What is the Library?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL!! Yeah, it was actually pretty pathetic on OA, but my DH does

love to go in there on embarkation day for his sun lizard lounging/reading

material for the week. Not a kindle person, he will read a full book

on each cruise though.

The LA was using it as his office, which was a better use of the space. ;)

We were actually held up for 45 minutes on departure one day in Labadee. The

reason? It was still the "no fee" towel policy and way too many lazy pax were

leaving them all over the beach. Poor crew members were lugging up huge

wheeled carts full of them that were left behind.

Good point.

I think this is necessitated by a couple of issues:

1. People grab towels and put them on chairs to reserve them and don't have to worry about whether the towels are there when they come back. If there is a price to pay they may be more cautious. Of course, I'd suspect that some people will just grab other people's towels so we will all have to be more cautious.

2. Even though the towels are kind of wimpy I think a lot of people pack them home using them to wrap up things they've purchased (booze) or whatever and, thus, the cruise line loses a lot of them.

All that said, $25 for a $2 towel (if purchased from Target) is kind of steep. At least they are warning people instead of just charging them after the fact.

I know a lot of people advise just bringing your own towels, but towels are heavy and luggage is charged, most of the time, and the weight is closely checked. A couple of towels could easily add a pound to your suitcase. Plus, a lot of people would rather not use the same towel for a whole vacation.

I have mixed feelings and I wish this sort of measure was not needed... alas.

Tom

Ive never had to wait more than 30 seconds pn Oasis or Allure.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

The "line" is indeed not that long. But have you ever tried returning a towel and there's no one there to check you in? We just held on to ours and did other things and returned them later....I was laughing at the four in line...kind of reminded me about the two folk stuck on an escalator crying help because it stopped moving.

I do not leave a towel on a chair as you seem to imply, and the term whining was not polite.:)

Then what is the issue?

The need to check out and in towels or face a charge isn't new.

What I noticed to be new on Adventure in December is what is stated on the page; that you can check out more than one! And I can't see anything wrong about that.

So what is the issue you have with this old policy of checking in and out towels?