How much is to much and how much is a good deal?

Desinico

So I booked my honeymoon back in august of last year during the wow "sale". My cruise is in July with the total being $3,285 not including grats. Royal gave me 100$ in obc for booking a D5 superior ocean view balcony. My TA gave me 325 in obc. I've never cruised with royal and this is my second cruise. Was this a good price? I'm having second thoughts now. I haven't made final payment of course. Did I book a good deal?

ETA: oh and ship info: oasis of the seas 7 day eastern

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Desinico

So I booked my honeymoon back in august of last year during the wow "sale". My cruise is in July with the total being $3,285 not including grats. Royal gave me 100$ in obc for booking a D5 superior ocean view balcony. My TA gave me 325 in obc. I've never cruised with royal and this is my second cruise. Was this a good price? I'm having second thoughts now. I haven't made final payment of course. Did I book a good deal?

Which ship? How long is the cruise?

It's oasis 7 day eastern

Well, July is a popular time for families with school aged children, so as demand increases so does the prices. The current price for a similar D5 cabin in July is now $100 higher than the price you listed.

If you are having second thoughts you might want to consider downgrading your room. You will be spending so much time out of the cabin or in the cabin honeymooning that you may want to skip either the balcony (for an ocean view) or a neighborhood balcony. There are some great floor to ceiling windows ocean views at the front of the ship that most people avoid because of the long walk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

You are the only one that can make the decision if it is too much or not. I would check the prices of different room categories. If you decide to change your cabin it is possible you may lose your onboard credits. If you booked with a travel agent check to make sure they do not have a charge for making changes to your reservation and they could possibly reduce your onboard credit if the cost of your cruise is less. Best wishes on your upcoming marriage and enjoy your cruise.

Well, since you asked, IMO that is way too much to pay for any 7 night Caribbean cruise in a balcony. If you have your heart set on Oasis, then I guess if that's the price only you can decide if you are OK with it. But I would shop around.

Edited by mek

Have you looked at Central Park rooms with a view (not the balcony) - you get extra light and it's really pretty at night when you open the curtains, we actually loved this room. I love balconies, but w/ the oasis we didn't use it that much b/c we were always out and about.

But since it's your honeymoon - go all out :) W/O going broke of course

Have you looked at Central Park rooms with a view (not the balcony) - you get extra light and it's really pretty at night when you open the curtains, we actually loved this room. I love balconies, but w/ the oasis we didn't use it that much b/c we were always out and about.

But since it's your honeymoon - go all out :) W/O going broke of course

We had a Central Park balcony and loved it, but there is a lack of privacy with those. But you bring up a good point. I think Oasis is the destination and there is so much to do on the ship that I wouldn't pay the price for a OV balcony when there generally are better deals on the ship. If the OP wants to spend a lot of time on the balcony with the ocean, then I would go on another ship at a better price.

If $3.2K plus gratuity less OBC is not a good deal, what should the OP consider a fair price and how does he go about getting it? Changing rooms might reduce the price but it won't make the deal any better.

We will soon have our first cruise, so I have no real idea what would be a "good value". After I booked, and based on tips here, I compared the price every time a new sale was announced, and was able to take advantage of one for a considerable (18%) net price reduction. We will end up paying $1.2K PP including gratuity for 7 nights on the Allure for 3 superior large balcony and 1 JS, in late spring (8 adults, 2 children, 2 infants). I don't expect to find a better offer, but still check. That said, I really have no idea what a real "value" would be aside from a price below the typical or average paid.

Edited by El Abuelo

I don't think you got a great deal but you are sailing during the summer, which is more expensive and you are sailing an eastern itinerary, which also is usually higher than a western itinerary.

You do have a good amount of OBC, which I would consider when looking at the price, others might not. With all that OBC, the cruise is just over $2,800. Still higher than I like to pay, but for that time of year and itinerary, not terrible.

We all talk about the awesome deals we get, but we all were new at this pricing game and never admit that we paid a lot higher rate for our first cruise too.;):p

Keep an eye at your sailing and if the prices go down, call and get repriced. Remember, it can affect the OBC your TA gave you, so do the math and make sure it is worth it. I would also look at higher category cabins and see if they cost what you paid for you balcony and call to get upgraded. Also make sure that your TA doesn't charge fees if you are making changes, because it might not be worth it.

Just don't get yourself too worked up about what you paid. There is always going to be someone who got a better deal than you, but there is also someone who did worse.

Depends when you are sailing, but have seen balconies for 700-1K per person. So with taxes and grats you are in the mid 2's. $3200 before grats is steep for a balcony cabin unless it is mid-summer.

My best guess is that the cruise is in July, which is mid summer for most people.

I don't think you got a great deal but you are sailing during the summer, which is more expensive and you are sailing an eastern itinerary, which also is usually higher than a western itinerary.

We all talk about the awesome deals we get, but we all were new at this pricing game and never admit that we paid a lot higher rate for our first cruise too.;):p

And sometimes we STILL pay too much for one on occasion (at least I do):p

Not a great deal but all that OBC makes it better.

And sometimes we STILL pay too much for one on occasion (at least I do):p

Not a great deal but all that OBC makes it better.

Exactly, we have paid more than I would have liked just last year on Anthem. Sometimes those good deals just can't be found.

I hope the OP doesn't worry too much about what they are paying and can put there energy into planning a beautiful wedding!:)

It's your honeymoon. You were OK with the price when you booked it so forget about the price and go enjoy it. Make memories and have a blast. Sometimes we CCers can get a little too frugal for our own good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We sailed last July on the Allure, Eastern Caribbean. 2 adults/2children,9 and 16 between 2 cabins, 1 was an oceanview balcony the other a central park balcony. Cost was just about 5K not including gratuity. I think its a little high. We were looking at going again this July and best I can find it about 5400 for 2 boardwalk balcony cabins. Not sure I will pay that. debating. good luck :)