Port advice on upcoming Med cruise

dorts

Will be sailing around the Mediterranean in June on Brilliance of the Seas and have (I think) settled on an itinerary. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! I know I am paying extra for some ship tours but as this is my first cruise and the port's here are far from the actual destinations I am (stupidly) worried not doing ship tours. Thanks!

Villefranche - train to Nice on my own

Florence/Pisa - ship tour (on own with smart device)

Rome - ship tour (taste of Rome small group)

Amalfi- ship tour (motor boat to amalfi with lunch and Pompeii tour)

Venice - on my own - found a highly rated free walking tour (pay what you want)

Zadar - on my own - found another short walking tour for €14 pp

Kotor - on my own

It was a REALLY LONG day on a bus, but the Amalfi drive excursion was amazing. Sorrento, Naples, Pompei were all stops we made(a long time ago). If you chose to do this, i recommend the passenger side of the bus. you get the best views from there.

My advice - really research any excursions you book on your own... and don't share private excursions with people you don't know. While I loved our cruise (pretty much the same one you're doing), my only regret was our 2 private excursions that we shared with people I met on CC (and didn't really know). On one excursion, the driver, who was supposed to know English, only spoke a handful of English words :(. And, the couple that we shared the excursions with made them way less enjoyable, for lots of reasons :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My advice - really research any excursions you book on your own... and don't share private excursions with people you don't know. While I loved our cruise (pretty much the same one you're doing), my only regret was our 2 private excursions that we shared with people I met on CC (and didn't really know). On one excursion, the driver, who was supposed to know English, only spoke a handful of English words :(. And, the couple that we shared the excursions with made them way less enjoyable, for lots of reasons :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice...Hence as this is my first cruise I am not too bothered about paying more for ship based excursions and the doing the others which are within the places of interest on my own...I would rather make friends when I meet people on the cruise ship rather than months before committing to excursions with people that I might not get on with face to face or individuals that may actually ruin my holiday (e.g. people who may not be so good with being on time etc)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

Oh my gosh, do not be worried about not doing ships tours. The tour companies in Italy base their reputation on getting you back to the ship on time. Go with reputable tour companies like italytoursharing.com, rome in limo or Joe Banana Limos. They are all very highly rated on here. I have taken 1 tour with rome in limo and quite a few with joe banana and italytoursharing.com... They have always got me back on time and have been way better than being hoarded around by a ships tour in a big bus. 8 people usually, you get to the spot early, make new friends and have a terrific time. I have my next tours already booked for june with italytoursharing.com AGAIN.. hahaha.. I really look forward to it!!

Go to your roll call, set up some tours, and get 8 people.. Enjoy and save a bit of money while your are at it :)

Oh my gosh, do not be worried about not doing ships tours. The tour companies in Italy base their reputation on getting you back to the ship on time. Go with reputable tour companies like italytoursharing.com, rome in limo or Joe Banana Limos. They are all very highly rated on here. I have taken 1 tour with rome in limo and quite a few with joe banana and italytoursharing.com... They have always got me back on time and have been way better than being hoarded around by a ships tour in a big bus. 8 people usually, you get to the spot early, make new friends and have a terrific time. I have my next tours already booked for june with italytoursharing.com AGAIN.. hahaha.. I really look forward to it!!

Go to your roll call, set up some tours, and get 8 people.. Enjoy and save a bit of money while your are at it :)

Thanks everyone...I just want to make this holiday a relaxed and an exciting one...Already on my roll call and don't get me wrong...I can't wait to meet new people and have a great time both onboard and off when we stop at the many wonderful ports of the med!

Will be sailing around the Mediterranean in June on Brilliance of the Seas and have (I think) settled on an itinerary. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! I know I am paying extra for some ship tours but as this is my first cruise and the port's here are far from the actual destinations I am (stupidly) worried not doing ship tours. Thanks!

Kotor - on my own

These are all great ideas and well thought out imho,

Florence is much to far from Livorno to do on your own without the guarantee of getting back.

Rome is not easy enough to do on your own unless you have been there, you know exactly where you are going, and you have fast entry into a venue or two (ie. Colosseum or Sistine Chapel). I knew exactly where I was going and still did a tour (private mind you) in order to get fast tracked everywhere with zero delays to see things.

I do not have experience in Villefranche, but the rest for sure on your own.

I also researched that Venice walk... I still think easier and do on your own.

If interested, click on my Serenade review in my signature below as I have a ton of do-it-yourself advice with pictures on Amalfi, Kotor, Venice and Rome that could possibly help you. Have a great cruise! :D

Research is key but sometimes you can run into problems anyway. Our first trip over we only did ship excursions. Last two times they have been private tours only. Do what you are comfortable with.

In Villefrance it was easy to find the train station and get tickets. Just be sure to validate them in the machine before getting on the train. In our excitement we forgot, not a problem since they did not check but better safe than sorry.

On the way back I wanted to take the bus for the scenery. This is where it got a bit hairy. Problem number one was that I could not find the stop (supposed to be near the art museum if I remember correctly). Guess I could have used some pictures because we got to Garibaldi square and could not find the bus stop. Once we did, I was reading a notice (in French of course, and with my limited understanding of the language, think 2 years in HS) it appeared that the bus servicing the port had been moved. I had to ask the few people there if they could translate and sure enough we were sent off down the hill to find it. We got back about an hour before but I know it could have turned out a little messy. Good news was that I had already researched how to take the train to Cinque Terre from Villefrance for the inlaws as an option. Of course RC had already changed our port to Livorno but I was comfortable knowing that we would catch up with the ship eventually. :rolleyes:

Kotor - on my own

We did most of these ports on Brilliance in September, I highly would recommend Papillion tours for Florence/Pisa best tour we took of our 9 ports, check roll call and try to get a total of 6-8 people from roll call to join, same goes with Rome, using Rome in Limo, Kotor is so much fun doing on your own, great walled city. Have fun

Thanks everyone...I just want to make this holiday a relaxed and an exciting one...Already on my roll call and don't get me wrong...I can't wait to meet new people and have a great time both onboard and off when we stop at the many wonderful ports of the med!

We are on this same cruise with you. Have been to all these ports before and it is a great itinerary.

You have great plans!

DH and I took the train from Monaco to Villefranche and loved that little town. We actually chose it over Nice. The Villefranche train station was manned, which made purchasing tickets lightyears easier than in Monaco.

We did the Princess equivalent in Florence/Pisa, and it worked really well.

Rome I feel is money well spent to go with a ship's tour group because the port is so far away, a lot can happen to cause delays. We personally experienced 2 that had we not been on a cruise excursion, we would have been left behind. One was an accident that closed the highway for a while, and the other was our bus breaking down. Plus there's too much to see comfortably on your own but can be achieved with group transport more efficiently.

Amalfi is another long day, so I think it's wise to do a ship tour.

Kotor is very easy to do on your own. We hiked to the fortress for just a few Euros each.

Happy cruising to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I'm on this cruise too - going to look into Papillon tours for Florence/Pisa. So far we're booked with Italytours.eu for Rome, Florence and Amalfi Coast, but everything is tentative. So difficult to make decisions on the first trip to these great places.

It was a REALLY LONG day on a bus, but the Amalfi drive excursion was amazing. Sorrento, Naples, Pompei were all stops we made(a long time ago). If you chose to do this, i recommend the passenger side of the bus. you get the best views from there.

Did this tour on our 1st. Medit. cruise and I was scared for my life. The roads are so narrow and hardly any rails. We were sitting in back of the driver and what a sight on the way to Amalfi. I was squeezing my dear wife's arm with each twist & turn. Got to give the bus drivers a lot of credits.

I remember in one stretch, the road is so narrow only one vehicle can traverse at a time. There's a light at either end of this stretch and it turns green proceed and red to wait. While traveling, we were delayed a bit, and suddenly there's a car facing us going the opposite way. You should see the argument with typical Italian yelling & waving of arms. Finally, I still don't know how it was accomplished, but we made it.

One of the most beautiful stretch of roads in the world.

I'm on this cruise too - going to look into Papillon tours for Florence/Pisa. So far we're booked with Italytours.eu for Rome, Florence and Amalfi Coast, but everything is tentative. So difficult to make decisions on the first trip to these great places.

Mark on this tour you have the option to do a free wine tasting , ( at no extra cost) really cool organic winery that also made its own olive oil etc , I would select this, guide is just great

HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Joe Bananas. They met us promptly, the drivers spoke perfect English and they got us around to the places (personalized that WE wanted to see) ahead of any bus, shuttle or train. My daughter left her purse with EVERYTHING in the back floor of the car, at one of the ports where we used their services. The driver was LONG gone when she discovered it. We called and he checked and found it and he did a quick turn around and rushed back to the port with the purse. Their reputation and future business depends on their reliability and getting you back to the ship with time to spare. They're fabulous.

I think I really need to respond to some of the comments I've seen on this thread...

We've taken 45 cruises and counting...

...and have taken many ship-sponsored shore excursions...and many private small group tours--that have, for the most part, been arranged here on the cruise critic roll calls with "people we don't know"...and an overwhelming majority of those private tours have gone exceedingly well. And on those few occasions they haven't gone well, it has been something else OTHER THAN the tour mates.

We join our Roll Calls early on...and we participate. By the time we get around to putting together groups for tours, we have a pretty good understanding of who we are touring with...and we have met a lot of very good people that way. Of course, when arranging groups, try to find people with whom you share some interests.

If you are worried about someone in that group being late, remember that there is far less a chance of that when touring with 6 or 8 people rather than on a big bus with 40+ on a cruise line shorex. And people tend to be more friendly in a small group.

The other advantages of a small group: You can actually get close to and hear your tour guide. Your group can get into sites that a big group can't. The group can move faster and see more. You have some say-so into the itinerary and can ask to include some sites not on the standard shorex itinerary.

As to guides that might not speak the best English or have other issues, remember, you can read reviews on tour companies and individual guides here on Cruise Critic and on tripadvisor.com and find guides that are to your liking. When you are on a cruise shorex, you could get good guides OR bad ones. We have a running joke about our list of the Top 5 "Worst Guides We've Ever Had"...and 3 out of the 5 have been on cruise line shore excursions.

(Our worst:

1. The woman guide in Gdansk who purposely lost two-thirds of her tour--refused to use the "lollipop" sign or the speaker system she was given, stopped for a bathroom break...for about 3 minutes, then continued while half the women on the tour were still in line for the ladies' room, saying "They'll find us" or "They know where the bus is"--I had to leave the tour to find my wife...who got lost as the tour went on without her.

2. The woman guide in Monte Carlo who assigned us a meeting point and meeting time after free time in Monaco, then didn't show up. Luckily, I know Monaco fairly well and took the group back to the bus parking after a half an hour passed--and we found her sitting on the bus "It was too hot to be up there"...

3) Worst private guide--in Berlin--the man who lost our driver (they had a mix-up as to the pick-up location) and didn't have a cell phone or know a cell number with which to call him. One of our party set out on foot walking around the area and, somehow, located the van at another intersection.

4) Private guide in Koper, Slovenia (who is actually Rick Steves' guide) who didn't show up to meet us at the port. Luckily, we found another tour company at the port who was there for a couple of other groups on our ship who was able to set up a new tour for us on the spot--with an excellent guide.

5) Another guide in Gdansk who did very little in the way of narration except to take us to his friend's jewelry shop for a shopping stop--for two hours!

So, basically, what I am telling you is that you can have a bad experience either way...but, for us, those two bad experiences out of several dozen private tours, were very rare exceptions...

OTOH, we have had a few excellent cruise line excursions...but the ratio of excellent ones to mediocre or poor ones is a much lower ratio...

That said, I highly recommend small group private tours--and finding the groups on the roll calls here...

As to Shore Excursions, they are not entirely bad...We will take them when we cannot find a reasonably priced or highly recommended guide in a port or cannot find others to join our group...or where the shorex does precisely what we want (For example, on our Iberia cruise this past summer, we did the ship's shore excursion from Bilbao to Pamplona for the "Running of the Bulls"...It would have been both expensive and difficult to pull off privately.)

There are also some ports where we just go off and "do our own thing"...But, one warning as to that: It is very easy, especially for "newbies" to get lost, to mess up on transportation schedules, etc. If going on your own, it always helps if you've been to the port before and have a good idea as to where you are. And, always plan the visit carefully. Have alternate plans ready in case you run into a train or transit strike, an unknown holiday or special event schedule change or a misreading of a schedule.

Specific to your ports:

Villefranche: Remember that this is a "tender" port. Your ship will not dock, rather you will wait for a small boat to take you to a dock in Villefranche. Nice is "nice", but there are a lot of other places nearby worth visiting. We've done both shore excursions (Nice, Eze and Monaco) and private tours here. Those Private tours have taken us to a lot of neat little villages (St. Paul de Vence, Gourdon, Grasse, etc.)--definitely worth considering to make the most of your time.

Florence/Pisa: The biggest problem with ship's shorexes here is that they can't get those big buses all that close to the center of Florence...so they park a significant ways away and let you walk. We've twice done Shore Excursions from Livorno, but neither to go to Florence--once we did an excursion to San Gimignano and Volterra--got very lucky as only 19 signed up for the tour and they did some special things for us since it was such a small, manageable group--like lunch inside the wine cellar in San Gim. Another time, we did a shorex to Lucca, Pisa and Puccini's home--not bad either. When we've gone to Florence, we've done it on our own...Of course, I have been there several times and am very familiar...

Rome: Here, note that the issue for many is the distance from the port in Civitavecchia to Rome itself. Many ways to get there on one's own, some are faster than others. That said, better to have a tour of some kind if a first-time visitor. A tour will get you past the lines at places like the Vatican. And there is so much to see, better to have someone else organize it. We've taken a shore excursion there once--small group of 11--which worked out very well since with a small number, we moved fast and actually made more stops than planned.

Amalfi: Definitely visit Pompeii. Save the Amalfi Coast for a future cruise (Though, if a private tour, many guides can put together a Pompeii/Amalfi Coast or Herculaneum/Amalfi Coast combo. Oh, and when you do the Amalfi Coast, DON'T do it on a big bus shore excursion. You won't see much from the big bus--three quarters of the seats don't have a window on the coastal side! But, Pompeii is incredible!

Venice: The free tour sounds great--but be prepared to give a generous tip...Another way to see it on your own is to take a Vaporetti (public bus boat) Route #1 ride down the Grand Canal and get off at Piazza San Marco, take a tour of the Doge's Palace, etc.

Zadar: I haven't been there!

Kotor: Lovely little town and can be walked "on your own"...but we've done two other things there. First visit, we took a half day shore excursion to Budva--which is very charming as well--then walked Kotor on our own in the afternoon (the town is small). Second trip, someone in our Roll Call put together a boat trip to the little islands in the fjord--quite enjoyable...We first walked the town on a self-guided tour, then the boat trip...made for a nice full day...

Have fun!!!